closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Seamaster Professional Bezel Removal

Omega Seamaster Professional Bezel Removal

As I own three SMP 2531.80s, time came when I wanted to remove the bezels. On other watches, I used to go between bezel and case with a thin knife, but that does not work due to the case shape. The bezel itself... well, tricky little beasts they are, low profile, no real grip. the Omega tool for bezel removal costs like 900 Euro. After extensive research and trying several tools like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Bezel-Re.../dp/B00CELKMTW

(which only barely worked on one out of the two SMPs I tried it with) and even attempting to make my own tool I finally found a great solution:

A gentlemen called tog_man on ebay makes these bezel removers, the tool I received is of high quality and worked like a charm on all my SMPs, no vice needed, just firm grip by hand. Actually it fits the bezel so well that I initially thought it would be too small to fit around it, as it is just a perfect fit. Hence, I would like to highly recommend him!

Here a link to the auction:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252198613642

(ps: I am not affiliated to the seller in any way other than being a happy customer)
    Last edited by JMH; 18th December 2015 at 08:31.

I see the insert can be separated from the rest of the bezel without a problem yet Omega will only supply the complete unit for £250. This has put me off buying another of these otherwise great watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    I see the insert can be separated from the rest of the bezel without a problem yet Omega will only supply the complete unit for £250. This has put me off buying another of these otherwise great watches.
    Quite a rip-off indeed!

I'm fairly sure that that seller is bry, formerly of this parish.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Here's my favourite How-to bezel removing video ... it's easy ... !

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I'm fairly sure that that seller is bry, formerly of this parish.
    Yep, thats him, he's made some great kit over the years......

That's Bry's creation, he makes some wonderful tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    That's Bry's creation, he makes some wonderful tools.
    He does, he made this lovely solid wood Seiko case back tool, I added the sterile caseback.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    The fact that the bezel insert isn`t supplied separately is crazy. Once the bezel's removed it's fairly easy to press the insert out with the right diameter dies and a press. They snap out nicely and snap back in nicely (provided nothing's damaged) and don`t need adhesive etc.

Usually the bezel itself can be refinished to an acceptable standard, but once the insert's marked there's nothing that can be done to improve it if the damage has broken through to the aluminium.

I`ve tried aftermarket inserts (blue Bond) and I wasn`t impressed; the colour was way off and the finish seemed likely to flake easily. On the plus side, the fit was excellent. At around £15 from Cousins they're cheap enough, but ideally Omega would make a genuine replacement available in the same way Rolex do.

When removing the bezel it is essential to rotate at the same time as pulling. The tool I use is aluminium and it grips the bezel tightly. I usually end up clamping the case in a wooden clamp placed in a vice, and even then they can be stubborn to remove.

Definitely not wise to try using a metal knife to get one off, it's likely to end badly.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The fact that the bezel insert isn`t supplied separately is crazy.
    Bit academic now I suppose, at least for non-accredited independents.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Here's my favourite How-to bezel removing video ... it's easy ... !

Almost certain to mark the case and a good risk of slicing your thumb.

On a Vostock this approach will work but the Omega bezels are a much tighter fit.

He's obviously not that bothered as he's fitting an aftermarket insert from eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    He's obviously not that bothered as he's fitting an aftermarket insert from eBay.
    For that I can't blame him. Omega charges EUR 350 / GBP 250 for a new bezel if you want your scratched $1 alu inlay to be replaced - thats laughable.

Im still undecided what is worse, a scratched inlay or an aftermarket one. Oh well, as I think about it... I'd go with the aftermarket solution, and buy myself a nice Seiko X-Turtle for the rest of the money. :)
    Last edited by JMH; 19th December 2015 at 15:39.

Master
    Just a month ago I was quoted just under 200£ for the GMT... is the divers 50£ due to the Lume pip..?

Two of these became available today, I bought one of them.
    Looking forward to testing it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    Almost certain to mark the case and a good risk of slicing your thumb.

On a Vostock this approach will work but the Omega bezels are a much tighter fit.

He's also left some of the watch (or knife) on the table which is a bit of a worry.