closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Screwed Links vs Pin & Collar

Screwed Links vs Pin & Collar

Another bracelets question.

Which design is better do you reckon?
    Screwed Links vs Pin & Collar

Screwed for ease of adjustment, I find pin and collar a pain in the arse. Others might have different experiences, but I've had the odd screw come slightly loose but never had a pin and collar fail.

Swings and roundabouts, but overall I prefer screwed.

They're both more than sufficient if designed and used correctly. No strong preference, so long as we're talking about solid pins.

Split pins, on the other hand, are crap.

Blog Entries
    I prefer screw bars, always.

Both screw bars and pins/collars are secure in my experience but screw bars are much easier to alter.

I hate losing the damn collars.

An ancillary question: Should it be "screw bar" or "screw pin"? Bonus points for making a double entendre out of it...

Master
    I'm happy with either method, but the best is the way Sinn do it with allen key screws, less chance of doing damage to the screw heads and it looks good too.

Thanks for thoughts.

Its also happened to me as well. Screw on Explorer 214270 almost came off completely once.

I no longer have the watch but do occasionally check the screws my other one in case they've gone loose.

My last watch comes with pins (probably due to titanium bracelet). Looks as good and solid as it gets.

Screws make it a breeze to adjust the bracelet, but they must be loctited to be secure.

Pins and collars, on the other hand, don't need loctite, but they are a real pain to remove without the right tool, and even with the tool, prone to losing the collars, and good luck finding replacements!

I imagine pins and collars are considerably cheaper to make, though.

Master
    Definitely screw bars! Much easier to adjust and looks a lot better too. Agree with Alphajet, Allen key screws are best for leaving no scratches though.

Master
    I have both in my Omegas; collars & pins in the 2254.50 and the Bond Seamaster, with the new screw style in a Speedmaster Pro. I haven't adjusted the Speedy bracelet but I thought it was simply two screws that trap a floating pin within the link, unlike a Breitling / Tudor / Rolex which is a screwed pin. Is that correct?

Screws definitely.

Easy to adjust without special tools and just look more solid.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I've got bra
    celets with both and provided you take care and know what you are doing adjusting both is fine. I too have had a screw pin come undone but luckily I spotted it before any disaster occurred.

Grand Master
    Doesn`t matter to me. What's important is how well (or badly) the bracelet pins stand up to wear and tear. That's the important aspect.

Ease of fitment/removal isn't a big issue IMO; you don`t adjust the bracelet often!

I think on balance I prefer pressed pins. Some of the screws on some bracelets are fixed with a strong Loctite compound and need heating to get them out. Failure to do so can result in mangled heads....not pretty.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I've got bra
    …come undone but luckily I spotted it before any disaster occurred.
    A bit too much info, but well done on saving your modesty – exposing your spillage could’ve had serious repercussions, depending on where it occurred, and in front of whom.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I've got bra
    Daily wear or only special occasions?😄

Apprentice
    I have screw bars on my new watch and although I reckon it should be more practical it has created a lot of uncertainty(since I don't have any screwdrivers since before) on what I need to change strap

Conclusion pin is probably easier whereas screws should be better once you have the relevant equipment (as long as you have a good pin tool you are covered otherwise)