closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Went for a Speedmaster, walked out with a Tudor. Sort of review (hint: VERY happy)...

Master

Went for a Speedmaster, walked out with a Tudor. Sort of review (hint: VERY happy)...

Apologies for the ramble...long story short, the current Tudor range is fantastic!

On Monday I went to buy a Speedy Pro - and had the money to pay full retail. And, I have had one before so I know what I was getting (trying to fix a flipping mistake). I've not had a proper watch for 18 months, as had to cover some 'life' stuff (deaths...job changes in the family, moving home with a four year old, ya know, the usual!) so never had the funds.

So, after some scrimping and saving, and small increase in my credit card, I went watch hunting ready to plonk down an obscene amount for a watch (because, whilst I am at the 'low end' of most of you lot, 3k IS a lot!), with the knowledge I was keeping it (genuinely tired of the flipping game). Because I have had one Speedy pro was the aim (I have sold two, and one racing version...jeeze!), or, maybe an X-33 (which, um, I have also had), maybe a Speedy Racing?

Got there, tried different variations and just was not impressed. Each one from three shops had something that bugged me; one Speedy pro had a mark on the dial (smudge in the white dial paint), one in another shop a white blob on the seconds hand (too much paint). The Speedy racing in person had poor proportions (the big sub dials). So, it was all a bit 'meh'. Went for lunch, popped back for another try. This time I tried some Breitlings (cos I like them and their service) but felt they were overpriced. I was all set to leave it and order a 'dream' Seiko from Seiya, tired of the Swiss 'game' I thought - 2.5k for an Oris Chrono for starters...more than 3k for a Tag Carrera! What's going on?! But, then I had a play with the Tudors...

And I was very pleasantly surprised. Yes, the movements are standard ETA / Valjoux (bar the new in house), but when Tag are charging more for the same movements (and so too in many watches are Breitling...and the Moonwatch movement is produced in the gazillions), I didn't see that as a big deal. Plus, the Tudor movements are well finished. The case finishing was excellent (the watches feel like expensivewatches) I could spot no flaws, and they had lots of details I never knew about. For example, the ceramic case on the Ducati chrono is stunning, easily as good as the Omega ceramic speedy cases. The Pelagos is beautifully put together (though I am a chrono person). The heritage chrono was cool, though I like a 12hr counter, but I was tempted. In the end...

To my surprise I saved a third of what i was going to spend and bought a Grantour chrono (tricompax). In trying on and handling, I was impressed in a number of ways:

- The case and dial finishing is superb; I had always assumed it was white dial with black painted markers (which I like, rather than silver) but they are black polished and look fantastic (I love this design).
    - It has some lovely cool details including the crown (both the black painting in the etched logo, and the smoothness of the operation);
    - The pushers which have subtle and neat locking system (1/8th turn, with a satisfying micro-click when locking and unlocking);
    - The quick date change under the lug (so, keeps the case side neat);
    - And the clasp on the leather strap is beautiful, with ceramic ball bearings.

What isn't perfect (nothing is!)
    - Lume is not amazing (but there is not much space, to be fair)
    - Wish I had come to the conclusion of getting one sooner ;)

As I said, I am chuffed to bits! Haha for the first time ever I got freebies. A baseball cap (sigh) and a red Moleskine notebook (that's nice!).

With the saving we'll have a nice holiday next year...no, not putting what I saved towards a watch. I am that satisfied with the Tudor Grantour. I did recently buy one of Eddie's for my father-in-law, so, perhaps...but the itch very much feels scratched.

My take from all this? The new Tudor's are the real deal. Brands like Tag have a problem if they keep charging more than Tudor for watches with the same movement and less impressive finishing, case and parts detail (unless, of course, you are not WIS, so you have more important things to worry about!).

This is not a dig at the Omega's, they are still superb with better movements (had a play with the new Planet Ocean - lovely!), but I am not sure they are so good as to justify the prices and in the past I have had horrible experiences with their service dept. Not that I'd have a problem with anyone buying one - hey if I won the money i still would! - but as I said I am VERY satisfied.

To be frank, the only thing that would feel like an upgrade would be the Tudor's parent, but that's maybe for the 50th when my lad is old enough to have this ;)

Thanks for reading my rambling! In summary if you are tempted or see a bargain Tudor on SC (it will NOT be from me!) then go for it, they are great! Anyway quick pics, may do some better macro ones in daylight...

General dial pic, mainly to stress the black polished applied logo and indices, and the polished bezel. Also, note the pusher detail with black on the pusher stems.

Nice crown (lacquered as well as deeply engraved)

The date pusher detail

The ceramic bearings in the clasp
    Last edited by redsox78; 23rd December 2015 at 16:52.

An excellent ramble, fine watch and just the hint of a festive jumper. Good to see someone buying a watch they want, without wondering what a forum full of strangers recommend first -- almost subversive really

Enjoy the watch, jumper and holiday.

Paul

Hurray...this is what we need in the build up to Christmas. Someone who's happy!

It's a fine looking watch...I like the curved end strap and I've a feeling I'd like the clasp you mention. All in all a good tale of watch exploration, buying, satifaction and money not spent where it wasn't needed.

Enjoy...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    buying a watch they want, without wondering what a forum full of strangers recommend first -- almost subversive really
    Done the 'check what people think' thing and I have learned so much from the advice, but also, time to go with what I like. And, with no thought of resale value. It's liberating!

Master
    Nice watch! I agree Tudor's are so nice!! Congrats!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I like the curved end strap and I've a feeling I'd like the clasp you mention..
    I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. I am a real sucker for curved straps that fit to the case (Omega do a few, and did with the X33). The curved strap just feels like a good detail.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. I am a real sucker for curved straps that fit to the case (Omega do a few, and did with the X33). The curved strap just feels like a good detail.
    Another vote in favour of that strap from me. And a nice-looking watch. Looks like a big one - but those lugs are well within your wrist profile - so you've pulled it off.
    I agree with your comments about them being better finished than anything in the price bracket.
    Apparently Tudor, at present, isn't the easiest brand to sell - recognition not yet at the level it needs to be to the general public - but that could very well be a good thing to those "in the know", so to speak - some great pieces at very good prices.

Banned
    If At first You Don't Succeed Redefine Success !
    I really like chronographs so a Tudor Chronographic is right in my wheel house, easy to read, good proportions, and a nice color scheme to boot, if the price was right how could you go wrong ! A+

Craftsman
    Although I'm not a fan of that strap as others are, I do like the Grantour.
    I've not actually handled one yet. What's the finish on the bezel like?

I'm also a huge fan of Tudor at the moment. They seem to represent good value for money with their current range and I can't fault the finish. Been wearing a Black Bay Red almost exclusively for a few weeks now

That's very nice, the hands on some of their range are awful, but everything on that looks nice... As you say yourself, I see no down-sides.

Master
    Few comments:

Re: size. The pics make it look bigger than it is, partly cos I bent my wrist away, partly the camera lens which is at its widest angle. It feels the same size as a speedy pro. Thicker of course, cos it has a 7753 (with next to no wobble), but the case is very neat, so easy to live with.

Re: bezek, very nicely finished! It's not ceramic, but its lacquered steel, so also not a clip in aluminium. Again, it matches the high quality finish of everything else.

I spotted this morning that the quickset date change is well finished as well; it has a tiny bevelling around the edge.

Someone mentioned they are tough to sell, no doubt, its not a UK recognised 'name' like Tag, Breitling or Omega. But, sitting in dealers trying watches on, non if the 'names' felt worth at least 1k more, quite the reverse. Perhaps having spent so long in here, the big names are a little demystified for me ;)

Great looking Tudor!

Craftsman
    Tudor=value for money. Good to hear of another happy Tudor owner, enjoy.

Journeyman
    Can't disagree on the finish. I tried on the Pelagos last week and was pleasantly surprised.

Apprentice
    That's a really lovely looking watch. Congratulations.

Super watch and a great story! Many congratulations.

Craftsman
    I wish I bought a Tudor instead of my Omega in all honestly. The Grantour range is very underrated IMHO.

Master
    It is also way below the radar of most, unlike the latest Tudors such as North Flag, Black Bay and Pelagos which have been aggressively and to my mind successfully marketed. My worry with that model and in fact any other Tudor than the 3 I name checked above is the residuals. I would expect a less known Tudor to get crushed at resale much more so than the newer or flasher models. If you have no intention of flipping then this doesn't matter but it would be a consideration for me. I should think it would be no worse than a Tag model residuals wise, possibly way better but the amount Tags lose at resale would make you wince!

I've a theory (based on zero evidence) that Tudor is broadening it's range in terms of price. North Flag Black Bay Peg etc in top half, and watches like this in the lower half. Once this process is complete, Tudor will split into two, with the cheaper watches given a new brand name which perhaps references Tudor somehow.
    Tud'euer?

As I said, zero evidence, just a gut feeling based on what I have seen happening many times in the world of wine, in which I used to work

Craftsman
    Congrats with the new acquisition. It's always a great feeling to know you have done your research and walked away with what is best for you!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I've a theory (based on zero evidence) that Tudor is broadening it's range in terms of price. North Flag Black Bay Peg etc in top half, and watches like this in the lower half. Once this process is complete, Tudor will split into two, with the cheaper watches given a new brand name which perhaps references Tudor somehow.
    Tud'euer?

As I said, zero evidence, just a gut feeling based on what I have seen happening many times in the world of wine, in which I used to work
    Might be true, though the Grantour I bought is higher RRP than the North Flag; £2580, and that's on leather. The North Flag is £2500 on bracelet. Bkack bay us less again. Plus, the Grantour is linked to the Tudor FIA WEC timing sponsorship.

I don't think they'll diversify, I just think they'll either be successful and creep up in price, or they'll not work and leave the UK / US market again.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Might be true, though the Grantour I bought is higher RRP than the North Flag; £2580, and that's on leather. The North Flag is £2500 on bracelet. Bkack bay us less again. Plus, the Grantour is linked to the Tudor FIA WEC timing sponsorship.

I don't think they'll diversify, I just think they'll either be successful and creep up in price, or they'll not work and leave the UK / US market again.
    Right, hadn't realised the the chrono was that much. When I airily said models like this, I was thinking more of the time only version.

In any case, I should have left specific models out of it: my thoughts of Tudor moving further and further north in price are more prompted by in house movements. Would be easy to imagine one day Tudor watches having only Tudor movements, and an entirely new brand taking over the position traditionally held by Tudor.

I'll stop here before I make any more howlers ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    If you have no intention of flipping then this doesn't matter but it would be a consideration for me. I should think it would be no worse than a Tag model residuals wise, possibly way better but the amount Tags lose at resale would make you wince!
    You're right that it doesn't matter if not flipping, and I went into this purchase as the last until someone gives me a load of money, for a reason I can't think of!

But, at the same time, in the past I have bought watches thinking "I'll get that one because it has higher resale" and I now think (and this is only MY opinion) that it's a fools errand. If you think "I won't get that cos it won't be worth as much if I sell it" or chose one over another for that reason, I now think that means you're choosing the wrong watch.

For me, that stress is gone with watches worth thousands :) this needs ensuring for £2580, that's all I know!

Thanks for your post
    It was very refreshing to read your positive comments.
    Enjoy your new acquisition for a long time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Right, hadn't realised the the chrono was that much. When I airily said models like this, I was thinking more of the time only version.

In any case, I should have left specific models out of it: my thoughts of Tudor moving further and further north in price are more prompted by in house movements. Would be easy to imagine one day Tudor watches having only Tudor movements, and an entirely new brand taking over the position traditionally held by Tudor.

I'll stop here before I make any more howlers ;)
    Hardly a howler! And I'm replying on my mobile so can't get emojis ;) ish!

What I am not sure about is if Tudor runs with in house - and as you say clearly it's thinking about it - surely it creeps up in price, so Rolex goes higher? Or, to they have the Apple attitude of any cannibalism of their own 'profit' is fine overall. Or, is it a go at Omega whilst Rolex keeps moving higher?
    Last edited by redsox78; 16th December 2015 at 21:59.

Great story. Seems you had a great day out choosing a watch that you love. Hope my next watch makes me as happy!

Craftsman
    Congratulations on a great buy. I really can't fault Tudor at all. I have a heritage chrono and recently picked up the black bay black and I m very impressed with both of them and for the money the likes of Tag should be very worried.

The way I look at Tudor is it isn't the poor mans Rolex it's the wise mans Tag.

Journeyman
    That looks great, enjoy!

Nice write up, and congrats on the new purchase and some cash left over, bonus.

Nice i have a few Tudors myself, friend of mine just picked up the grand tour with the 18k pushers.

Can't go wrong with a Tudor!

Lovely watch. Enjoy it!

That is really nice, I do like it on the bracelet as well. How is the Flyback chrono version different? Sorry for my inexperience here

That looks lovely. Must say, when I saw the thread title I had my money on yet another Black Bay or Pelagos, nice to see a Grantour getting an airing here.

Great post!

Big Tudor fan here, currently have the Ranger and BBB. Had the advisor, heritage chrono and BBR in the past.

The Ranger is stealing most if the wrist time right now, so simple but is so appealing.

Master
    For those interested...

Watch still brilliant after a week, gaining about 3 seconds a day. As a result, I have added some better pics (best I can do with my camera lens). Best thing about it is the quality of finish, really is flawless.

Great thread congrats on the watch!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Whats the button/screw thing on the back of the lug?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Whats the button/screw thing on the back of the lug?
    Quick date adjustment, with 7753's you usually see these on the side of cases, but this us cleverly hidden under the lug

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Oohh thats clever!
    Never seen anything like that before.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Oohh thats clever!

Never seen anything like that before.
    Yep, I didn't know til I handled it when looking in the AD, the Ducati Tudor's have on the side:

The old Grantour (with a less elegant case design) also had it on the side:

Even the Omega 3300 (heavily modified 7753's) have it on the side (and there is no real detail there) :

IMHO is it takes some thought to design this, it's not industry standard, so really quite impressive, there was no need to have it under the lug it's just for tidyness. Nice :)

Big, big fan of Tudor here also! The quick-set function is cool: never noticed that..

Craftsman
    Very nice. Congrats.

Really like the Grantour lineup, especially your chrono. Was looking in my local AD the other day, the Tudors were lined up alongside the Rolex display, great value for money I reckon. The Pelagos looks stunning also.
    Great choice.

I can feel your happiness in the text, congrats :)

That is one fine watch and I love the detail of the date progression being tucked away out of sight - do any other Tudors have that?