closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darn it! Got stung on eBay for the first time :0(

Master

Darn it! Got stung on eBay for the first time :0(

My 'beater' 16660 has just returned from Duncan ('Cannop') where it's had a service, and I was looking forward to trying it out on the bracelet I sourced for it while it was gone. Straight away there was an issue - the endlinks were just a touch too wide for the lugs so it didn't fit. I'd done all my research before buying and I was sure it was genuine, but alarm bells started ringing and after doing some more research I found this site:

http://blog.tc-sub.com/2012/05/39-tc...ler-16600.html

That's the exact bracelet I bought via auction for £225 from a European seller. Mightily p*ssed off is an understatement. Lesson learnt - there's even more fake Rolex stuff about than I thought there was.

I shall now stick to NATOs as was my original plan.....

That look fantastic quality in the pictures - we really do have no chance in the face of the fakers :(

Grand Master
    Lots of the Omega and Rolex stuff on ebay is fake/replica, I learned that the hard way in the past.

However, if the bracelet's good quality I`d be tempted to get the end pieces modified to fit, if they're only a tad too wide it isn`t hard to take a bit off. There's a sound argument for wearing a watch on a replica bracelet to preserve the original and prevent undue wear. If the manufacturers charged sensible prices for the bracelets there wouldn`t be a problem.

In the distant past bracelets were almost considered to be replacement items and the manufacturers sold new ones at prices to reflect this.

Paul

Master
    To be honest the quality of the bracelet is very, very good.

But I don't agree with fakes of any kind, so I refuse to use it.
    Last edited by Guitarfan; 15th December 2015 at 20:57.

I think the fake police on here (pardon the pun) would excuse you on this occasion, you didn't go out looking to buy a fake and it is only a bracelet and not a watch - as Paul states below there is a good arguement for using it - the alternative is to pay Rolex a four figure sum for a brand new one.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 15th December 2015 at 20:53.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    But I don't agree with fakes of any kind, so I refuse to use it.
    What difference does it make whether you wear it or stuff it in a drawer? Frankly, having paid the money I`d want some value out of it! It's only a steel bracelet when all's said and done.

Years ago I bought a supposedly 'NOS' Omega bracelet. I realised it was fake when I saw other designs using the same clasp reference (1286/249) but I had my suspicions before that. I`d already modified the ends pieces and fitted it to a watch when I realised for definite it was fake; can`t say it bothered me in the slightest.

Trying to sell something as genuine is a different matter; that I don`t agree with, and I`m not in favour of fake watches, but I can`t get too worked up over bracelets and straps etc. The issue is whether the item was sold as genuine or not; in some cases the seller will claim that the buyer should've assumed it was fake owing to the low price.

If Rolex didn`t charge ludicrous prices for replacement bracelets there wouldn`t be a market for good quality fakes....my conscience would be clear on this one!

Paul

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think the fake police on here (pardon the pun) would excuse you on this occasion, you didn't go out looking to buy a fake and it is only a bracelet and not a watch - as Paul states below there is a good arguement for using it - the alternative is to pay Rolex a four figure sum for a brand new one.
    Can the OP get the money back?

If not, it's not only a waste of a usable bracelet (and quite a nice one, by his account),but a big financial loss.

If he can, because it's a fake, then pounding it with a lump hammer is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

I don't think the 'fake police' will forgive him, there was a lot of heat and noise over a non-branded lookalike Speedmaster bracelet some while back, whilst this is an outright fake, as fake as a watch.

As the OP's revealed this fakery on the forum, it seems he'd feel bad about knowingly wearing a fake bracelet.

I'd agree, though, that OEM bracelets are a racket - There's no way the price reflects the quality/effort/whatever - Even LESS so than a watch!

M

£225 sounds quite cheap for a real Sea-Dweller bracelet.

You expected a real one obviously. I couldn't wear it either. Don't think about the scammer lining his pockets, instead imagine the poor kid in the sweatshop who's getting fed tonight because of you.

Grand Master
    I know it's splitting hairs, but if it didn`t have the Rolex logo it wouldn`t be a fake, it would be a homage and then it would be OK.

It's annoying when you get caught out like this, but perhaps he was being a bit optimistic in believing it would be real.

Put it on the watch, wear it a few days. In the grand scheme of things it's not that significant and he might find his self-esteem survives the ordeal.

Too quote the Nike logo......just do it!

Master
    A fake is a fake to me - there's no middle ground. It's been chucked in my watch parts box.

I bought it via a 99p no reserve auction, not a BIN price, so I thought I'd lucked out due to it being in the EU. Obviously not. Had it been up at that price BIN I would have been suspicious.

Master
    Assuming it was bought off eBay and not a off site deal and paid via PayPal can you not raise a claim as its fake and get your money back?

Master
    Not after this amount of time has passed it seems - I checked. Had I had the watch at the time of purchase I may have had a case, but it was with Duncan awaiting its service.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I know it's splitting hairs, but if it didn`t have the Rolex logo it wouldn`t be a fake, it would be a homage and then it would be OK.

It's annoying when you get caught out like this, but perhaps he was being a bit optimistic in believing it would be real.

Put it on the watch, wear it a few days. In the grand scheme of things it's not that significant and he might find his self-esteem survives the ordeal.

Too quote the Nike logo......just do it!
    Indeed, but the logo is clearly intended to make it look like a Rolex product, which it isn't...

I tend to agree with you in some ways.

I'm perfectly happy with wearing my Omega Speedmaster on a £20 leather strap or a £25 'lookalike' bracelet personally, but the bracelet doesn't have Omega logos or script on it, so it's not pretending to be a REAL bracelet.

I wouldn't pay £300 or more for a genuine bracelet, but some people feel that even without the logos I'm somehow conning someone, even it's just myself. Clearly having a bracelet with a Rolex logo on it is too much for the OP and that's fair enough if he bought in good faith (albeit rather hopefully!). I wouldn't have bought a cheap bracelet with Omega logos on knowing it wasn't real, either.

M

Whilst it may be true that G wouldn't use it or sell it on as genuine, who's to say some potential future owner, another seller, would be so generous? Fakes can easily end up being passed off as genuine by reputable sellers, even dealers, that have bought them in good faith from sellers who have unwittingly sold a fake. Best to take them out of circulation.
    Gray

My 'beater' 16660 has just returned from Duncan ('Cannop') where it's had a service, and I was looking forward to trying it out on the bracelet I sourced for it while it was gone. Straight away there was an issue - the endlinks were just a touch too wide for the lugs so it didn't fit. I'd done all my research before buying and I was sure it was genuine, but alarm bells started ringing and after doing some more research I found this site:

http://blog.tc-sub.com/2012/05/39-tc...ler-16600.html

That's the exact bracelet I bought via auction for £225 from a European seller. Mightily p*ssed off is an understatement. Lesson learnt - there's even more fake Rolex stuff about than I thought there was.

Have you logged an "Item not as described" case and asked for a refund? It is fake and you are within your rights to do so, use your buyer protection!

As you said, you did your research and it does not fit. Just provide the backup evidence so they don't have a leg to stand on.

Let us know how you get on.

Master
    I've just lodged a refund request, but I'm not eligible for Buyer Protection as more than 30 days have passed. eBay won't investigate.

I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see what happens.

I've just lodged a refund request, but I'm not eligible for Buyer Protection as more than 30 days have passed. eBay won't investigate.

I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see what happens.
    Do you pay via Paypal as they allow 180 days...

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Do you pay via Paypal as they allow 180 days...
    An excellent point actually. I closed a refund case on eBay not realising the money had not yet cleared, it was an e cheque. EBay told me to take a hike, PayPal told me I was covered if the money did not come through.

Definitely worth a go.

Banned
    Just get a real bracelet. You have a nice watch, don't ruin it with NATOs.

If you can't get a refund I'd grind off the Rolex logos and see how it looks as a generic oyster.

No attempt at fooling anyone and it gets to repay some of what it owes you.

Master
    Right, after looking at my PP transaction it pointed me back to eBay to request a refund from the seller. I did this and they accepted, so I now have to send it back and hope the seller refunds me.

I'll get it back in the post tomorrow and let's see how this works then!

Banned
    Right, after looking at my PP transaction it pointed me back to eBay to request a refund from the seller. I did this and they accepted, so I now have to send it back and hope the seller refunds me.

What? You didn't destroy it with a sledge hammer? Don't you realize what you have done? You have sold a fake.

Master
    Yeah right. You're such a troll.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Good outcome, best rid.

dont take notice of GS ,we all know his posts.

mike

All good in the hood.
    Last edited by TimeOut; 15th December 2015 at 20:59.

Master
    Thanks TimeOut - done.

Master
    Glad this worked out, but something daft about all this - all the effort to create such a detailed fake, yet the endlink width is wrong. I'm wrong obviously, but I'd assume that bit is easier to get right! :)

I now have to send it back and hope the seller refunds me.

You must send it back using a Tracked (not just a Signed For) service. If you do this, you will get your money back from eBay, regardless of the seller's actions. (If you don't use a Tracked service, then there's a high likelihood that a seller who is dishonest enough to sell fake goods will simply claim that it never arrived).

Glad this worked out..

I think it would be impossible to wear a Rolex with a fake bracelet - even when bought under the circumstances by the OP - without a sense of annoyance every time you went to check the time on your wrist..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    You must send it back using a Tracked (not just a Signed For) service. If you do this, you will get your money back from eBay, regardless of the seller's actions. (If you don't use a Tracked service, then there's a high likelihood that a seller who is dishonest enough to sell fake goods will simply claim that it never arrived).
    And, if you do send it tracked, if they faff around and don't sort the refund, chat with Paypal, point out the tracking number, and more than likely Paypal will give you the refund regardless. They did with me.

Master
    Thanks folks. I think "International Tracked and Signed For" is the way to go? Looks like it'll cost a tenner and I guess it should be there before Christmas. Could be a nice present if the refund turns up around then

I don't know what eBay's current rules are but in the past if the product was confirmed as fake/counterfeit then there'd be no need to send it back. Might be worth looking into this, then you can dispose of the bracelet as you see fit and get one over on the seller.

Yeah right. You're such a troll.
    He (almost) has a point though.

Personally, I'd have kept it, and worn it, as Paul suggested.

But given your hardline position on fakes (always bad, no middle ground, always the possibility someone further down the line will deceive somebody), isn't it the "worst" possible thing you could do, sending it back to somebody you know for certain will defraud somebody else?

Your decision based on your own personal moral code (admirable as it may be that you have one, and try to stick to it) would seem in this case to have an outcome which contributes to what you view as immorality.

Im not judging you, and I'm not sure that I have an alternative suggestion, other than keeping it, which you've already made clear would be unpalatable, or taking a financial hit...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I don't know what eBay's current rules are but in the past if the product was confirmed as fake/counterfeit then there'd be no need to send it back. Might be worth looking into this, then you can dispose of the bracelet as you see fit and get one over on the seller.
    Seems like a better idea.

They just have you return it. Unfortunately people would claim something was counterfeit when it wasn't and end up with the item and the money.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post

But given your hardline position on fakes (always bad, no middle ground, always the possibility someone further down the line will deceive somebody), isn't it the "worst" possible thing you could do, sending it back to somebody you know for certain will defraud somebody else?

Your decision based on your own personal moral code (admirable as it may be that you have one, and try to stick to it) would seem in this case to have an outcome which contributes to what you view as immorality.

Im not judging you, and I'm not sure that I have an alternative suggestion, other than keeping it, which you've already made clear would be unpalatable, or taking a financial hit...

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like a better idea.
    Well done, your post actually makes a lot of sense.

Thanks to the OP for providing this thread. I found the insight into human hypocrisy most amusing.

Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    They just have you return it. Unfortunately people would claim something was counterfeit when it wasn't and end up with the item and the money.
    Exactly. The only way I can (possibly) get my reasonably sized amount of money back is to return it, so that's what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I think it depends on exactly how you report it, as a counterfeit item ( you can destroy it, maybe you have to get it independently looked at, I don't know ) or not as described.

Master
    Also, given the time that has passed due to the watch being at service, I had fewer options available.

If it goes back, someone else is going to get suckered when he sells it again... Have your local timpsons etch 'FAKE' on the case and back before u send it back :-)

Grand Master
    Clearly, if there's a way of forcing a refund that's the way to go. Send the item back in the condition it was received and follow the PayPal procedure.

The stupid 'advice' to grind off the logo, hit it with a hammer, get it etched at timpson etc are idiotic comments. These folks aren't the ones trying to get their money back; if they were they wouldn't do anything to jeopardise that process, would they? Same with the ones questioning the ethics of potentially allowing the thing to be sold to some other guy by sending it back, they wouldn't moralise so strongly if they were out of pocket.

I hope the OP gets his money back on this.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Clearly, if there's a way of forcing a refund that's the way to go. Send the item back in the condition it was received and follow the PayPal procedure.

The stupid 'advice' to grind off the logo, hit it with a hammer, get it etched at timpson etc are idiotic comments. These folks aren't the ones trying to get their money back; if they were they wouldn't do anything to jeopardise that process, would they? Same with the ones questioning the ethics of potentially allowing the thing to be sold to some other guy by sending it back, they wouldn't moralise so strongly if they were out of pocket.

I hope the OP gets his money back on this.

Paul
    My comment was purely tongue in cheek... The OP is a big boy, I'm sure he also has enough grey matter to work out how maximise his chance of getting a refund

Master
    Thanks Paul. If I'd accepted the situation I'd be accused of supporting the fake industry and lining scammers pockets! You can't win with some folk

Anyhow, the bracelet is on its way back via International Track and Sign - insured for the amount I paid for it. I've updated my eBay returns page so it's all there in their system awaiting confirmation of delivery and then my PayPal refund from the seller. I took photos of the bracelet and packaging last night, plus I have my postal receipt with tracking number, so I've done everything I can to support my case if the seller doesn't pay up (which should help me get a refund from PayPal instead if they accept my loss).

I'll let everyone know how this turns out...

I've bought generic bracelets in the past (without logos) to see if I could live with a bracelet or not

::Some advertised without logo - actually came with logo on the clasp...

::Some SS bracelets would give me headaches

why not keep it and get an original clasp ?

Master
    About a year ago I bought an item and found out that it was fake... I didn't have to send it back and still got my money... I just told Ebay that the Item was a replica and it's not stated on the item description that it was a replica... Not sure if something has changed regarding the rules... The item is still with Me somewhere in my Room...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post

I understand your point but it's unlikely that the seller will go short of dodgy bracelets to defraud someone with, unfortunately.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjoranga View Post
    About a year ago I bought an item and found out that it was fake... I didn't have to send it back and still got my money... I just told Ebay that the Item was a replica and it's not stated on the item description that it was a replica... Not sure if something has changed regarding the rules... The item is still with Me somewhere in my Room...
    It was probably within 30 or 45 days of receipt of the goods - I think the rules are different if you've just received it.

I had a fake SanDisk memory card sent to me once and from memory I had to return that to the seller for the refund too.

I received a nokia N95 phone once which had had a new cover replaced
    and the speaker was missing from the earpiece (was even accused of stealing it but thats another story)

I called ebay up and they said as the value was below a certain amount I didn't need to provide tracking and just to send it back for a refund and normally over that amount tracking was needed and all they needed was proof of sending *not receiving*

basically I could have sent a turd in the post, god knows the guy deserved it

(I kept the phone in the end and bought a earpiece speaker for 50p off a repair shop)

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    And, if you do send it tracked, if they faff around and don't sort the refund, chat with Paypal, point out the tracking number, and more than likely Paypal will give you the refund regardless. They did with me.
    Just a relatively minor point in the grand scheme of things, the problem with paying the return postage yourself if the seller is not obliged to refund you for that. eBay can only refund you what you paid for in the 1st place. I know this because I got screwed by a French seller to sold me an incomplete product then refused to refund me the return postage that I paid for.

Ebay told me I should have waited for 8 days for eBay themselves to provide me with a prepaid return label, which they automatically bill the seller for.

Good luck.

Master
    I had a note on my returns page about waiting for the seller to send me a pre-paid label but didn't know what that was, so thanks for the info. I wanted to get things rolling ASAP so I just sent it myself this morning. If I lose a tenner I'll cope with that.

Master
    You've done the right thing in my book.

If there is any justice you will get your refund which if it includes your return postage will be a bonus.

Good luck.

scooter