closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1960s Sicura watch - Any information and advice appreciated

1960s Sicura watch - Any information and advice appreciated

My dad bought this Sicura watch in the 60s having seen an advert for it in Exchange & Mart and wanting a large colourful watch with lots of dials on it - he certainly managed that! I'd be interested to know about the brand and the inspiration for the design - the internet has not thrown up much other than saying that Sicura made cheap versions of fashionable watches in the 60s and 70s. The dial says Chrono 17 jewels, I wonder what movement it has?

As you can see, it has three crowns; the middle one turns the inner rotating bezel. The bottom one winds the movement and adjusts the time when extended (as well as adjusting the two orange hands in situ). The top one, when pressed, sometimes causes the two orange hands to rotate by 15 minutes. I'm not sure what the orange hands are for and it looks like the sub dial in the top left is a power reserve but it doesn't seem to have a hand so maybe it is just for show. It doesn't take long to wind up and the running seconds hand dial moves round and the movement ticks happily away. It has most likely never been serviced.

I'd like to get it running again and cleaned up (new or cleaned up crystal, maybe a relume and a light refinishing) - who would be best placed to do this on the forum? Thoughts on how much or little to restore? I'd like to have it so that I and my dad could wear this again.

As you can see below, it has a strap marked Tropic Star on the back which is some kind of rubber but unfortunately the other side is missing. Any ideas on where I could source a similar looking replacement?

I am thinking that unlike more prestigious brands, this would really benefit from restoration. I have no idea what parts are available, but the moral dilemma of restored vs. unrestored original wouldn't apply as the value either way is not that significant.
    So the same argument applies as in the case of restoring your dad's Morris Minor or whatever - you can get a better example for a fraction of the cost of restoring yours, but then you ain't got Dad's watch, just another watch. I presume he would very much like to bring it back to good condition.
    In your shoes I (or your Dad?) would happily pay the cost of a restoration if parts availability makes it viable.

It'll be a great looking watch when done, that's a bonus!

Before I committed to a light case restoration I would first ascertain whether the case is solid stainless steel or a plated, base-metal. If it's the latter it's unlikely you can do very much as it's likely that the plating would wear away and the base-metal would start showing. Otherwise it's definitely worth a service given the sentimental value.

Good tip thanks CB. Any idea how I would establish that?

Movement is likely to be a pin lever manufactured by EB. Perhaps an 8800-family movement?
    Last edited by Broussard; 14th December 2015 at 17:42.

Plated cases seem to wear first at the underside of the lugs, where the caseback screws on and, in extremis, on the outside of the case. If yours is plated I would suggest that you father didn't wear it much - if he did then it's probably good news. I only mention this because I've seen a few plated Sicura's on Ebay though, given their associations with more prestigious brands, it may have been the case they were frankened anyway.

Adam Phillips at Watch Case Works should also be able to advise you - in actual fact he is the one person I would look to for a refurb of a plated case.
    http://www.watchcaseworks.co.uk/

Thanks. What were their associations with more prestigious brands? Have you seen one like this before?

Found some information about the range here,

https://70swatchesgallery.wordpress....icura-jogging/

According to another website it's a sort of chronostop, the orange hands in the middle ( its one piece with 2 pointers ) are slaved to the minute hand but when the top button is pressed they ( it ) 'flyback' to the 12 position and you can read elapsed minutes off on the scale, the middle crown turns the internal bezel and the b

What's the lug width?

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    What's the lug width?
    19mm

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Thanks. What were their associations with more prestigious brands? Have you seen one like this before?
    Google Sicura and Breitling - the link is somewhat tenuous but I'm not an expert; others here will know more. I've not seen one like yours before.

Good find with your link above.

Edit: Again, hopefully others will chime in - does stainless steel back on the caseback imply that the case itself isn't?
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 14th December 2015 at 15:43. Reason: Last question added

I may be wrong but I think sicura were mainly in America and took over breitling when they were struggling,I'm probably wrong but I heard something like this

The case is plated (you can see brassing on the underside edges) but looks in reasonable condition.

The movement will be as stated in an earlier reply by Broussard - EB.

Foggy
    Last edited by Foggy; 14th December 2015 at 18:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Edit: Again, hopefully others will chime in - does stainless steel back on the caseback imply that the case itself isn't?
    Yep, certainly does.

Foggy

Thanks all, yes look to be plated from that website I found and the corners of the underside as you say Foggy. Re the movement, does that mean it's easy to service? If o, who could do it?

19mm
    These pop up on eBay fairly frequently and are cheaper than the large hole variants.

Expect to to pay in the region of £20-£30

These pop up on eBay fairly frequently and are cheaper than the large hole variants.

Expect to to pay in the region of £20-£30
    Thanks. I've had a look but can't find exactly the right one and most of the genuine Tropic ones are pretty expensive. Plenty of cheaper generic ones though.

Knew I had it somewhere; October 1970 Motor Sport. Item B look familiar to anyone?

PM me your email address if you want a better quality image. You can clearly see "Sicura" on the scan.

Wow! Amazing memory. I'll pm you, my dad will love to see that!

probably worth getting it repaired and serviced if you want to keep it (from a personal viewpoint)

one thing right off the bat is that is not anything to do with breitling (which is something you see spouted all over ebay to try and get more money for what is usually a pin pallet watch - tho some sucker will usually buy into it - one company simply bought the other out)

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    probably worth getting it repaired and serviced if you want to keep it (from a personal viewpoint)

one thing right off the bat is that is not anything to do with breitling (which is something you see spouted all over ebay to try and get more money for what is usually a pin pallet watch - tho some sucker will usually buy into it - one company simply bought the other out)
    Yup i appreciate that. What does pin pallet mean though? Does it make it easier or harder to work on?

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Knew I had it somewhere; October 1970 Motor Sport. Item B look familiar to anyone?

PM me your email address if you want a better quality image. You can clearly see "Sicura" on the scan.
    That is a very cool advert. I wonder if anyone has a Chronosport catalogue?

Great Sicura, mindforge, there's something about the watches from that era (particularly chrono's) that's just right IMO. Good luck restoring it.

Thanks. I've had a look but can't find exactly the right one and most of the genuine Tropic ones are pretty expensive. Plenty of cheaper generic ones though.
    You do have to keep having a look.

There's this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRACELET-M...YAAOSwwE5Waqc2

You do have to keep having a look.

There's this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRACELET-M...YAAOSwwE5Waqc2
    Good enough for me, thanks Ed, I've bought it! Expert eBay skills there.

Good enough for me, thanks Ed, I've bought it! Expert eBay skills there.
    Nice one! I did check my Tropic stash but couldn't find the right one

I used to Buy and sell a lot of sicuras back in the day, http://the-watching.blogspot.co.uk/2...ing-story.html that explains far better then I could

Nice one! I did check my Tropic stash but couldn't find the right one
    Very good of you, appreciate it.

Looks to me like it needs a new crystal and a service and that's it, the lume looks good as it is.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Looks to me like it needs a new crystal and a service and that's it, the lume looks good as it is.
    Actually I gave the crystal a quick rub with some poly watch and it has come up nicely.

Actually I gave the crystal a quick rub with some poly watch and it has come up nicely.
    Lovely - just be careful you don't rub too much on the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Lovely - just be careful you don't rub too much on the case.
    Yup i kept it to the crystal!