closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice sought regarding Omega service centre

Master
    My only question to the OP and I think it's been ask before... Where did You buy the watch? You could just return it to them when the fault was spotted or ask for a replacement...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjoranga View Post
    My only question to the OP and I think it's been ask before... Where did You buy the watch? You could just return it to them when the fault was spotted or ask for a replacement...
    Iconic - I actually sent the first one back because the bezel had a large amount of play (damaged in shipping I think). Second was fine-ish, another member here mentioned that they went to an Omega boutique and they aligned the bezel to his satisfaction - all they had to do was move and replace the insert. I wasn't counting on extra damage, and should have just lived with the watch how it was. But that's the benefit of hindsight.

I'm sure I am going to get an onslaught of 'you didn't even buy it from Omega' comments, true - but I still have a valid international warranty. Buying from Iconic has weakened my position in terms of getting any money back (something I'm not going to explore from Iconic) but such a simple warranty issue shouldn't have turned out like this.

It's the same with the repair of anything, if companies too a little more time to get the fault fixed properly, they wouldn't have to waste time and money dealing with complaints. It's not difficult.

Journeyman
    I bought from Iconic in the past too. However, they claim on their website that they check watch before sending out to client. How is it possible they did not spot misaligned bezel?

The source of your watch is legitimate. I think people, like me, were interested where you bought to understand why you went to Omega and not AD.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    I bought from Iconic in the past too. However, they claim on their website that they check watch before sending out to client. How is it possible they did not spot misaligned bezel?

The source of your watch is legitimate. I think people, like me, were interested where you bought to understand why you went to Omega and not AD.
    I believed it was a quick and easy fix, and being a 10 min walk from the Oxford Street boutique, it was easier than sending back once again. I was wrong, quite obviously.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    The actual manufacturing cost of a watch such as this Omega is a small fraction of the retail price.
    Why not consider the precedent this would set?

That's why everyone with a slight mark doesn't just get a new watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

Imagine if they fixed the issues they caused, yes that would set a very worrying precedent.

Journeyman

why not consider that we all go to ADs to get things sorted and not damaged? Can you imagine how much times the owner has lost so far on playing ping pong game?

Imagine, a year ago i wanted to replace bracelet with a strap. Not only it took 3 visits to boutique (they do not want to sell longer springbars) but also scratched lugs. For me it is a waste of time as i have better things to do than going to boutique because someone down the line is not competent enough.

Master
    A lot of scary stories Here... that's why when I sent my Omega again for the 3rd time. I stick a Rubber strap on it as I don't want the bracelet to get extra marks... Fingers crossed my watch will comeback in a better shape...

OP, I can understand Your situation as I'm on the same boat with You... Only difference is You bought a new watch under warranty and I paid for a full service... I just hope that You'll get what You want and be able to enjoy Your watch again. They had mine since August 4th and it's been back and forth since... They still got it until now...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjoranga View Post
    A lot of scary stories Here... that's why when I sent my Omega again for the 3rd time. I stick a Rubber strap on it as I don't want the bracelet to get extra marks... Fingers crossed my watch will comeback in a better shape...

OP, I can understand Your situation as I'm on the same boat with You... Only difference is You bought a new watch under warranty and I paid for a full service... I just hope that You'll get what You want and be able to enjoy Your watch again. They had mine since August 4th and it's been back and forth since... They still got it until now...
    It's a shame, my SMPc and your GMT are both fantastic looking watches - also mine was running +3/s a week, but the service dept obviously need to buy a few loupes and change some of their lighting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesy B View Post
    Buying from Iconic has weakened my position in terms of getting any money back (something I'm not going to explore from Iconic) but such a simple warranty issue shouldn't have turned out like this.
    Nope, your legally binding contract is with Iconic, and under the Sale of Goods Act, it is through them (and your CC provider under joint liability as per Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act) that you will need to discuss the refund or replacement with.
    It doesn’t matter that you’ve dealt with Omega directly – it doesn’t affect your legal rights.
    So if Iconic don’t want to play ball, you can simply invoke a chargeback through your CC provider.

Master
    Dispiriting to read these experiences of the Omega Service Centre. I thought their stock had been rising lately after a bad few years.

Master
    Two further thoughts;

1) A brand new replacement watch? Seriously???

2) it's an Omega, not a Patek Philippe
    Yes, seriously – Omega’s repairers have shown themselves to incompetent amateurs at best, not unlike how some Kwik Fit employees are viewed.

Doesn’t matter the cost or brand name on the dial – if your own trained employees botch things up, then they are expected to stand over it.
    It doesn’t seem to bother Omega how many times it has to be re-submitted for remedial work, but there’s such as thing as being pragmatic rather than dogmatic – at this point, this would be one of those times.
    And it’s not like Patrick Phillips should be held as some paragon of virtue when it comes to manufacturing and servicing – My Patek 5990 is FINALLY at HSWA NYC for Service.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Nope, your legally binding contract is with Iconic, and under the Sale of Goods Act, it is through them (and your CC provider under joint liability as per Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act) that you will need to discuss the refund or replacement with.
    It doesn’t matter that you’ve dealt with Omega directly – it doesn’t affect your legal rights.
    So if Iconic don’t want to play ball, you can simply invoke a chargeback through your CC provider.
    Surely that goes out of the window now? A slightly wonky bezel would have the watch seen as "fit for purpose and of acceptable quality" - certainly the OP accepted it and didn't return the watch to Iconic straightaway.

The issues have arisen because the boutique damaged the watch, then the Service Centre marked the dial. None of these issues were there when the watch was new, so I would say rejecting it and asking for a refund is nothing to do with Iconic and they can rightly refuse to do so. The OP has to continue working with the Service Centre to get a satisfactory outcome. I don't think they have any other option.

As I said earlier, several times, keep sending it back until it's right.

I don't think buying from Iconic makes any difference. Mine came from Mappin & Webb and had a similar toing and froing experience.

Banned

What are they supposed to get, a kick in the bum? If they can't fix the watch they should replace it with a new one. How does that set a bad precedent? This is common practice in some countries and no one seems particularly concerned about the precedent that treating a consumer with decency sets. Does it worry you if the OP gets a new watch?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_%28automobile%29

"Consumer protection legislation typically labels vehicles as "lemons" if the same problem recurs despite multiple repair attempts (such as three times in a row over a short period, where previous attempts have not corrected the problem) or where defects have caused a new vehicle to be out of service for a prolonged period (typically 30 days or longer) for repairs."

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Surely that goes out of the window now? A slightly wonky bezel would have the watch seen as "fit for purpose and of acceptable quality" - certainly the OP accepted it and didn't return the watch to Iconic straightaway.

The issues have arisen because the boutique damaged the watch, then the Service Centre marked the dial. None of these issues were there when the watch was new, so I would say rejecting it and asking for a refund is nothing to do with Iconic and they can rightly refuse to do so. The OP has to continue working with the Service Centre to get a satisfactory outcome. I don't think they have any other option.

As I said earlier, several times, keep sending it back until it's right.

I think Guitarfan makes an excellent point. The Service Centre, not Iconic is culpable for all this grief. This disaster has nothing to do with Iconic.

Craftsman
    This is why I haven't involved Iconic, it's nothing to do with them. The watch is going back to Omega once again and I have expressed my lack of confidence in the ability of the service department.

Grand Master
    This issue is between the buyer and the Omega Service Centre, and it's a sorry tale. Why they were unable to rectify a problem with the bezel is beyond me. I've not tried taking the bezel off the SMPc but from what I can see it'll be the same procedure as the older models (unless they've redesigned the thing completely); the difficulty I see is dealing with the brittle ceramic insert.

The problems are down to poor technique/inadequate training, or simply rushing the job. Without the right tool, no-one should attempt bezel removal.

This is the same firm (Omega) who now have a policy of NOT supplying parts via wholesalers in order to protect customers/protect the brand/stop monkeys working on Omega watches.........you couldn`t make it up!

The UK Service Centre clearly has problems. Expertise to tackle minor jobs at the Boutiques is inconsistent and therefore inadequate.

Time for Omega to concentrate on getting the basics right; less emphasis on advertising/market aspiration and more emphasis on old-style quality/values would help. It would also help if they got it right first time when producing the watches. Getting the bezel insert aligned correctly from new shouldn`t be difficult, especially if the assembly/design is the same as on the older models. Possibly there are inconsistencies with the fit/tolerance of the bezel click spring and that causes the problem?.......it's not rocket science, there's an answer somewhere.

Strongly advise the OP to keep at them over this.

Paul

Craftsman
    Watch was received by them and I was called as promised, dial has been cleaned and they're sure it's fine now however I was offered a replacement dial so I've asked for that to happen. They don't want to offer me a replacement watch, so it seems they want to keep wasting my time and their own time and money.

They've been responsive and understanding, but ultimately pretty useless in spotting a flaw that a phone camera can pick up.

Hopefully third time lucky.

Banned
    Watch was received by them and I was called as promised, dial has been cleaned and they're sure it's fine now however I was offered a replacement dial so I've asked for that to happen. They don't want to offer me a replacement watch, so it seems they want to keep wasting my time and their own time and money.

They've been responsive and understanding, but ultimately pretty useless in spotting a flaw that a phone camera can pick up.

Not a very clever bunch, are they, cleaning a dial that is destined for the rubbish bin...

Let's hope it comes back with all the hands intact:

"Dear customer, sorry to hear about your disappointment. When we viewed your watch from a distance of a thousand yards we were confident that all three hands were present."

Grand Master
    I find this whole saga hard to believe.

The watch is back with Omega UK, they accept the fact that the dial's marked. The dial can either be successfully (which they imply by offering to do so) or replaced? If the dial can be cleaned successfully (ie perfect again) why don`t they just do that? No need to offer a replacement. If the dial can`t be cleaned to 100% perfection why offer to do it? Why not simply put a new one in.

Customer gets the watch back perfect, doesn`t need to know whether it's been replaced or not, why give the customer a choice? Provided the watch comes back right the customer won`t care whether the dial's new or cleaned. Surely they would've just done whatever's necessary to get it right?

Very strange, the logic's flawed somewhere, or something's been lost in the communication. As for being unable to spot the flaw, these guys are pros, they'll spot things that most customers wouldn't....provided they're looking hard enough.

Reading this I'm feeling fortunate that having sent a brand new Aqua Terra Master Coaxial back for regulating after 2 months it only came back with a small scuff on the bezel edge. I can't say that I'm happy with this but it looks like I've got away lightly. However, given the need for future servicing it has put me off buying another Omega; although with a SM300C and an older SMP300 2500 I've been told that I've got enough already

Craftsman
    It doesn't help that they want to force you to use their in house servicing which I can understand to an extent, but it would be nice if they fixed that part before trying to strangle the independent repairers.

Master
    I think this is where an Independent watch technician makes a big difference... Usually an independent Watch technician will always do their best to avoid tarnishing their reputation... Compared to a big company that has about maybe 500 watches to handle a month or more with several Watch technicians that has different levels of skills in handling precision watches... Some are very meticulous and some are not...

Journeyman
    I would exactly the same. No one wants a watch returned in worse condition. Especially if you are using the actual brand service centre. You would expect a high level of service. So not unreasonable to give them an opportunity to fix it and if they can't they should replace it. Simples!

Craftsman
    Forth time lucky - Received the watch today and I am glad to say it's finally in a state I'm happy with. They've given the bracelet a light refinish too as it had some marks on/by the clasp so that's a nice bonus.

Got there in the end, just took much longer and was much more hassle than it ever should have been.

Grand Master
    No watch should ever be sent back with marks/scuffs acquired whilst working on it. Watches can get marked, it happens, no-one's perfect, but in most cases you know you've done it and the right thing to do is rectify the error. If a case gets a scratch or scuff it can be polished out or refinished and no-one's the wiser.

Dials shouldn`t get marked if enough care is used, but for a big concern like Omega the answer is to replace it and keep their reputation. Chances are someone marked the dial in this case and kept quiet about it......whoever did this didn`t want to own up and that's what can happen in a big concern. An independent has nowhere to hide!

I still think the problems will be staff-based. Not enough people of the right calibre who are prepared to work for the salary offered under the prevailing conditions. Being based at one end of the country doesn`t help; the catchment area for employing folks isn`t ideal and the costs for anyone to relocate from the North will be prohibitive considering the money being offered. The folks who are working there will be under pressure to do work quickly and that doesn`t suit everyone. Working fast and working carefully are often mutually exclusive, some folks can do it but others can`t. I know which camp I fall in.

A move towards more accredited independents has to be the best way forward, or possibly supporting the folks out there who are keen to buy parts and repair watches. Customers will always vote with their feet; if someone's no good they won`t get repeat trade, stifling the supply of parts is NOT the answer.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 22nd December 2015 at 13:37.