closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dropped my (cheap) Seagull 6497 powered watch. Repair or bin?

Dropped my (cheap) Seagull 6497 powered watch. Repair or bin?

In an attempt to try a Panerai style watch (big birthday in a few years time, so I'm trying out a few homages in the run up!)... I bought a titanium cased hand wound "Parnis" type watch from Daji Watch.

Style wise, its really quite nice. I spec'd it with a sapphire crystal. The titanium case is reasonably well finished. I also got a Seagull 6497 swan neck regulator movement in it.

However... in a moment of clumsiness, it took a drop last week from about 5ft onto a wooden floor. Now... it's dead. No obvious loose parts - but no tick.

Are parts readily available here in the UK for this movement? Given its a Unitas close (I think!), can genuine parts fix it up.. and who would be fit to take the job on? It cost about £100, so isn't really worth spending much on.

Journeyman
    This happened to me and the balance was somehow stuck, moving it gently with a toothpick restarted the watch.

Master
    I'd buy another and keep your current one for spares...

Quote Originally Posted by stere View Post
    This happened to me and the balance was somehow stuck, moving it gently with a toothpick restarted the watch.
    That's worth a try! Haven't removed a case back like this before though... I'm guessing one of those squishy ball type removers is in order?

Try dropping it again?

M.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Try dropping it again?

M.
    Well.. I didn't do that.. but I did give it a fairly hard tap/knock to see what that would do.

Grand Master
    Send it to me if you wish, I`ll sort it if it's sort-able. I don`t recommend taking the back off and messing with the balance if you don`t know what you're doing, that's a sure-fire way of killing it. Possibly the hairspring has jumped out of the regulator and itself tied up.

If the balance staff is broken it's probably not worth fixing, but the shock protection should've prevented this.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Send it to me if you wish, I`ll sort it if it's sort-able. I don`t recommend taking the back off and messing with the balance if you don`t know what you're doing, that's a sure-fire way of killing it. Possibly the hairspring has jumped out of the regulator and itself tied up.

If the balance staff is broken it's probably not worth fixing, but the shock protection should've prevented this.

Paul
    I was thinking of you Paul as I typed this. PM me your address details again and I'll stick it in the post. No rush back.

If dropping it on the floor stopped it, have you tried throwing it at the ceiling? Maybe that is the antidote.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    If dropping it on the floor stopped it, have you tried throwing it at the ceiling? Maybe that is the antidote.
    Lol... or throw it back to China where it came from!

Craftsman
    When that doesn't work there are also the walls. It might have hit the floor on edge, so it's 90degrees out

Master
    And if He missed catching it back?

Apprentice

Little late on this thread, but relevant information - maybe

Your Seagull 6497 is a refurb as are all Seagull movements in Parnis watches. The best part of a Parnis watch is the case. Seagull makes movements with the designation ST-xxxx for their own watches, which have a Sea-Gull logo. You can buy a new TY3600 from ALLWATCHPARTS. You will not find Seagull parts for their movements, because the company only makes movements for manufacturers, including their own watches, which count for about 20% of their volume. Only one distributor is a legitimate Sea-Gull seller and their website is basically hidden. According to Taobao, the Seagull Factory Direct store is located at shop33593671 - the National sole contact for the sale of the company's watches. Other on-line sites belong to resellers, not Sea-Gull.

Also, since Seagull is an ebache manufacturer, they don't oil/lubricate their movements. Thus, expect a functional Parnis to last about two years unless you can find a watchmaker to service it. That's rare since he/she will not be able to find parts and they break Since the Seagull movements in Parnis watches are refurbs, they often have bent pivots on the fourth wheel, which makes the things very difficult to reassemble. BTW, the new TY3600s are about $39.

If you want my sources, please ask. I spent months and lots of money getting this information together.

This is possibly the easiest and most enjoyable movement to strip and rebuild (even I've had one to bits successfully).

Buy some tools, watch some videos and give it a go!