closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: One third of my collection... how did that happen?

One third of my collection... how did that happen?

I've never considered myself to be a Seiko fanboy, although I've had some beauties over the years. However, I was just thinking about what seems to be a slightly waning interest in this hobby and - with that in mind - was also musing on how I might reduce what I have to a more "manageable" number and then shove some money into something else... maybe even a much-overdue kitchen and bathroom re-fit

I realised, in fact, that I could potentially go all-Seiko, and that they now make up a third of my collection (five out of fifteen, the latter of which is higher than I'm comfortable with, in truth). I don't see myself ever going down that route but - if I did - I'd have a great little set of watches.

Modern...

And vintage...

Nicely balanced (although maybe a bit too sports-orientated), and not too shabby. Now, if someone will let me have their 6159-7001...
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th December 2015 at 12:54.

Although all of them are lovely, the top 2 do it for me the most.

I know we have similar taste in many watches but Seiko have always left me cold for some reason. I do like the last one though. (Selling that Aquanaut would buy a lot of kitchen units!)

Master
    Tony, your pictures and reviews of your various Seikos prompted me to take a fresh look at the brand and to put aside prejudices about them being somehow inferior compared to German and Swiss manufacturers. After doing a little more research I decided to acquire some Seiko pieces. A WTB last month brought me a limited edition Sumo (SBDC027), soon followed by a vintage quartz diver, 7548 700B. The Sumo is my daily wearer and runs at around plus 6 seconds a day, which more than satisfies my penchant for accuracy.
    Yesterday I collected my new Tuna (SBBN035) and am well pleased with it. Great value for money.

These are all I have right now and I don't feel the need for anything else at this time. Right now my employer is looking at major redundancies, so I really can't have what I regard as large amounts of money tied up in a watch collection. So the ones that could bring in at least some of what I spent on them have been moved on. I don't miss them as I'm deriving as much pleasure from what I have. Plus I don't have the guilt feeling that used to kick in when I considered what that previous collection had cost me.

As for your watches, Tony. The 5513 surely has to be a keeper, as do your vintage Seiko as they're great examples of classic watches. But whatever direction your collection takes, keep on enjoying what you wear.

Journeyman
    That Bullhead is the standout piece...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Although all of them are lovely, the top 2 do it for me the most.
    Yes, I love those two as well. The MM is amazing, and the GS is arguably the best of the modern crop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I know we have similar taste in many watches but Seiko have always left me cold for some reason. I do like the last one though. (Selling that Aquanaut would buy a lot of kitchen units!)
    It would indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Tony, your pictures and reviews of your various Seikos prompted me to take a fresh look at the brand and to put aside prejudices about them being somehow inferior compared to German and Swiss manufacturers. After doing a little more research I decided to acquire some Seiko pieces. A WTB last month brought me a limited edition Sumo (SBDC027), soon followed by a vintage quartz diver, 7548 700B. The Sumo is my daily wearer and runs at around plus 6 seconds a day, which more than satisfies my penchant for accuracy.
    Yesterday I collected my new Tuna (SBBN035) and am well pleased with it. Great value for money.

These are all I have right now and I don't feel the need for anything else at this time. Right now my employer is looking at major redundancies, so I really can't have what I regard as large amounts of money tied up in a watch collection. So the ones that could bring in at least some of what I spent on them have been moved on. I don't miss them as I'm deriving as much pleasure from what I have. Plus I don't have the guilt feeling that used to kick in when I considered what that previous collection had cost me.

As for your watches, Tony. The 5513 surely has to be a keeper, as do your vintage Seiko as they're great examples of classic watches. But whatever direction your collection takes, keep on enjoying what you wear.
    I'm very flattered that I've played a part in your decision making, so thank you for that! Although all divers that's a very varied selection, and the Tuna's a fantastic watch.

Great collection. I like it.

ismaaeel

Banned
    terrific collection, seeing them all together makes for a inspirational sight.

Lovely Seiko collection Tony and the photos as usual are terrific.
    As to them being a third of your overall collection, well personally I think that's great.
    Not in a Seiko fanboy way. I just think you should enjoy wearing whatever you like - regardless of brand.
    They are all great watches and somehow you always seem to acquire the best looking examples!
    Having said that I love your other watches too, that PP - let's just say I think I have a new grail!
    Last edited by Thorien; 5th December 2015 at 13:32.

"Seikoholism" I think it's called. 9 out of the 39 pieces in my box are Seiko.
    We buy them 'cos we like 'em (and they're tremendous value for money too) I think.
    A truly nice collection you got there

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohta View Post
    That Bullhead is the standout piece...
    Agree.

Lovely Bullhead Tony, in pristine condition - wouldn't expect anything less from you mind!

Rob

Seikos account for 1/3 of my collection too - four dateless manuals from 1961 to 1971. Eg

I'm managing to keep a lid on things, for the time being....but if I had the money for this, though....

Last edited by Der Amf; 5th December 2015 at 14:26.

I like a nice vintage Seiko, I have to admit.
    I've spent quite a lot of time debating with myself over a 6105, but I have a PRS 68 and I can't get over the fact that it is essentially a superior watch, homage or not, so have never taken the plunge.
    If you do ever go "full Seiko" though Tony, I'd love first dibs on your EZM1! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    I like a nice vintage Seiko, I have to admit.
    I've spent quite a lot of time debating with myself over a 6105, but I have a PRS 68 and I can't get over the fact that it is essentially a superior watch, homage or not, so have never taken the plunge.
    If you do ever go "full Seiko" though Tony, I'd love first dibs on your EZM1! :)
    Funny you should say that, but I've just agreed a trade against a very nice JLC.

It's a real shame regarding the EZM1, as I waited years for the right one to come along. I love the style of the watch, and the fact that it's a 5100 inside; however, like with the Aerospace, I just don't seem to bond very well with Titanium watches. Quirky, I know, and the silly thing is that the EZM1 was a really, really nice example.

Master
    real nice fiver you have there!amazing divers!

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Which Model number is the Seiko MM with gold detailing?
    It's a stunner!
    It's an LE - model SBDX012.

Nice group of Seiko's and great pics.
    A little worrisome that you seem to have been drinking the Seiko coolaid too! 😄😄
    On a serious note, I do agree that one can have an entirely Seikocentric collection and still be satisfied. Some fantastic choices within the brand. Our Seiko choices probably wouldn't converge often though.
    Don't talk about waning interest in the hobby though- is a depressing thought.

Banned
    It's official. You are a Seiko fanboy. Welcome to the club!

Nice pics and some great watches there, thanks.

You need a GS Spring Drive Diver!
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

The MM300 looks amazing!

I'm also coming round to the Seiko way of thinking, four out of nine of mine are from the brand.
    My current obsession is SQ dial divers.
    All of yours are beautiful looking pieces but I love the GS and the lume plots on your tuna are fantastic!
    Last edited by andymonkey; 5th December 2015 at 21:23.

Master

Mine!!

Could you just carefully package all of them up and send them my way please!? ;-)

Really nice collection and a perfect show of what Seiko do best!!

Chris

Craftsman
    That 6306 is the bees knees!

Seiko is 4/6 of my collection; the other two are a Rolex GMT2c and a PAM372. At the moment it's a 6309-7040 that's getting all the wrist time though once I source a proper set of hands for my 6306 I think it will move up quite a bit in the rotation. It's time keeping is brilliant and it's fitted with a very nice inner dome sapphire --but the AM seconds hand is too 3 dimensional and kills it for me.

Lovely pictures tony.. I still don't get the 'tuna' case shrouds though - they are just huge.

Looking forward to the other 2/3rds over xmas.

Both Grand Seikos pictured above are just amazing. The ultimate no no-nonsense watch. At some point I have to own one. Just a shame there is no AD here in London (however am pretty sure there is one in Stockholm, so trying a GS might be my Christmas treat for this year when back home).

A very fine selection there Tony. Mine aren't remotely of the same reference quality but, having just counted because of this thread, number nine from a collection of sixteen. Both numbers surprise me, as being higher than I expected. The trouble with Seiko, compounded in my case because of where I live, is that there are just so many that are good, interesting, quirky or all three. Perhaps like no other brand, there is immense depth and breadth to explore.

Paul

Journeyman
    Nice pics, first two are great pieces.

Hey all. How do you post images on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Both Grand Seikos pictured above are just amazing. The ultimate no no-nonsense watch. At some point I have to own one. Just a shame there is no AD here in London (however am pretty sure there is one in Stockholm, so trying a GS might be my Christmas treat for this year when back home).
    Do they not still have a reasonable selection in Selfridge's ??

where are yours SDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    A very fine selection there Tony. Mine aren't remotely of the same reference quality but, having just counted because of this thread, number nine from a collection of sixteen. Both numbers surprise me, as being higher than I expected. The trouble with Seiko, compounded in my case because of where I live, is that there are just so many that are good, interesting, quirky or all three. Perhaps like no other brand, there is immense depth and breadth to explore.

Paul
    Agreed, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    where are yours SDs?
    are you confusing me with Scott?