closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying clothes

Buying clothes

So where do people usually but their clothes from?

I'm assuming as most of us own expensive watches we all like to dress the part as well.

So we do we all buy

Shirts
    Polo's
    Jeans
    Etc?

Just looking for recomended outlets hopefully with good pricing or deals.

Thanks

Callum

Master
    SC, obvs.

And this thread should be in the George & Dragon part of the forum.

Master
    Having spent all my money on watches it's Primark for me...

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    SC, obvs.

Ah fair enough wasn't sure where to put it.

I'm sure a mod will move it at some point

Quote Originally Posted by durhamcockney View Post
    The mods are always at the ready.

I just like to wear plain polos/tshirts with chinos, jeans or sometimes joggers (for that comfort).

Clothes shopping is a nightmare, I like Crew clothing for polos though.

G&D

SC, obvs.

+1
    Simple this forum watches anything else G&D

Grand Master
    Not sure the assumption that nice watch = nice clothes is necessarily true, especially as one gets older and starts to realise how shallow the whole fashion thing really is.

There's a big difference between style and fashion, I wish I could get my missus to understand that. Find a style you like and stick with it.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, being retired means I can wear what like; don`t have to do all that dress code crap that goes with the territory when employed by a large firm in a (supposedly) professional/technical function.

So for me, it's Levi 501s (in various states of repair), Fed Perry Polos (in various states of repair) or Ben Sherman button downs, smart shoes for going out (never trainers, that's no-no), Adidas Sambas in the daytime, leather jackets or black Harrington (black Crombi if it's cold)......that's about it.

I don`t do the clothes shopping thing; I pop into the outlet shops at York when I`m passing, might buy a Fred if there's one I like. My sister gets 501s from the States twice/year (£30/pair) so I always have a couple of new pairs awaiting commissioning.

Watches?........I wear what I feel like but generally something gold/bicolour if going somewhere smartish. Can`t beat gold for dress watches.

Paul (57 yrs young)

Do what I do, I get my mummy to buy my clothes from Mothercare.
    She ties my laces too

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Not sure the assumption that nice watch = nice clothes is necessarily true, especially as one gets older and starts to realise how shallow the whole fashion thing really is.

There's a big difference between style and fashion, I wish I could get my missus to understand that. Find a style you like and stick with it.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, being retired means I can wear what like; don`t have to do all that dress code crap that goes with the territory when employed by a large firm in a (supposedly) professional/technical function.

So for me, it's Levi 501s (in various states of repair), Fed Perry Polos (in various states of repair) or Ben Sherman button downs, smart shoes for going out (never trainers, that's no-no), Adidas Sambas in the daytime, leather jackets or black Harrington (black Crombi if it's cold)......that's about it.

I don`t do the clothes shopping thing; I pop into the outlet shops at York when I`m passing, might buy a Fred if there's one I like. My sister gets 501s from the States twice/year (£30/pair) so I always have a couple of new pairs awaiting commissioning.

Watches?........I wear what I feel like but generally something gold/bicolour if going somewhere smartish. Can`t beat gold for dress watches.

Paul (57 yrs young)
    You scooterist you

Shirts – Ralph Lauren / Brooks Brothers
    Polo's – Ralph Lauren / Boss
    Jeans – Levi

York Designer Outlet, usually during a sale.

Wouldn't say I follow fashion, but I know what I like I keep it that way. But think deep down a small part of fashion gets us all.

For me I'm lucky enough to a have a dress down office, so winter its usually jeans, jumpers and granddad tops, summer its chino shorts, polo top or t-shirt.

After losing a load of weight, I thought I'll rather have nice clothes that last.

Trip to NYC last year meant Levis & Ralph were hit pretty hard especially in their outlet village, I'd say that's 70% of my wardrobe, jeans, jumpers, t shirts, shirts and polos.

All my training & marathon gear is Nike again lucky enough from an outlet.

If in this country mainly sales of local outlet village which is Ashford.

The only thing I like paying full price for are good boots - timberlands & coats - north face.

Plus watches when I can afford them.

I've had some nice shirts and jumpers from Urban Outfitters and tend wear Converse or Vans shoes from them too.

Stopped wearing Levi 510 as the cut is not very good and they're overpriced. Jeans from eBay or Primark have been the best I've had and only £20 or less.

Only wear polos for badminton, so can't help there. I don't buy expensive branded ones though, as they don't appeal to me. Tend to buy cheap plain t-shirts or band/sci-fi related ones and wear a casual shirt over the top and maybe a hoodie or jumper.

I'd hate to have to wear suits and smart shirts/shoes every day. Feels totalitarian seeing so many people obliged to dress like that. In fact, it would be nice if the watch dealerships adopted a less formal, less corporate image. Watches should be fun, why is it made to look so corporate and serious?

Fortnum and Mason. I wear a thin coat of Pâté from navel to thigh, a Harvey Nicks crop top and some rugby socks.

Finished off with some simple, pattern-less, suede, desert brogues.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Fortnum and Mason. I wear a thin coat of Pâté from navel to thigh, a Harvey Nicks crop top and some rugby socks.

Finished off with some simple, pattern-less, suede, desert brogues.
    Have you tried a salmon mousse onesie for those lazy Sundays? Buy 30 tubs of the stuff from Harrod's and pat it on all over with a builders trowel.

Grand Master
    Surely you must have seen those huge shopping malls on your travels?.
    If you have then you will find shops in those malls that sell all manor of clothing from cheap to not so cheap,all you have to do is decide if you like the item of clothing......then hand over the cash at a till.

usually says "Pay Here"

You then move on to another shop for a matching item of clothing...and so on etc etc.

Master
    Dont we all dress like this?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by durhamcockney View Post
    TZUK Rule No.1 - the monkeys rule the zoo! (there's no "mods" here).

Dont we all dress like this?

Oh hope not

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Oh hope not
    Sorry, apart from Rob-Vicar, obviously. Here he is in his leisure wear;

Craftsman
    If you have the time to sort through the crap you can get so good quality bargains at TK Maxx, not bad for Ralph Lauren.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, apart from Rob-Vicar, obviously. Here he is in his leisure wear;

That's actually me

Buying clothes

Ted Baker all the way for me, from top to bottom. Great quality, still have shirts from 20 odd years ago when that still look good (according to me). And as already stated, I can pick up last seasons lines at tk maxx at half the price, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Have you tried a salmon mousse onesie for those lazy Sundays? Buy 30 tubs of the stuff from Harrod's and pat it on all over with a builders trowel.
    Oh, my god. You must be joking, that stuff would stain like crazy during my Sunday licorice colonic. Sundays I only wear syrup and rolled oats.

Shirts for work - Charles Tyrwhitt
    Casual shirts - various
    Polo's - Charles Tyrwhitt or Gant mostly
    Jeans - Gant
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Oh, my god. You must be joking, that stuff would stain like crazy during my Sunday licorice colonic. Sundays I only wear syrup and rolled oats.
    So, be truthful, I asked in an earlier topic if Stoo is your real name. You really are Cornflake Ken aren't you?

I'd begun to think he really was a figment of my imagination. ( I'm out of there now, but is that where I know you from?)

Is it?

There are certain items I will look for first from certain retailers/brands, but will go somewhere else if I don't find what I am after.

Casual tops (Polo's/Rugby's): Joules, Henri Lloyd, Sunspot (was a big Ralph Lauren guy, but I feel the quality of their cotton polo's has gone downhill - my HL ones wear much softer)
    Jeans: Diesel, Replay (We 'R')
    Gym/Sports: Under Armour
    Shoes/Boots: RM Williams

Shirts I tend to have tailored, I don't have much call for suits in my line of work so I own a Dolce & Gabana which was MTM, which I wear for pretty much all formal occasions that call for one (about 3 times per year!). I have a mixture of knits and jackets/coats from various Italian houses.

If I had to buy everything from one shop or "brand" I would be inclined towards something like Ralph Lauren - pretty much covers all bases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    same here, chav style is in.

Grand Master
    You can buy clothing from Aldi or Lidl,but they don't have changing rooms so you will have to try on at home and decide if you look cool......job done.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    You scooterist you
    I`ll stick with my 1970 MGB Roadster.......like several of my watches that's in pieces at the moment!

Paul

Master
    Nearly everything casual I get from:

www.mandmdirect.com

Great online retailer and can pick up some real bargains.

For shirts I'm afraid I'm going to admit to being a bit snobby and admit I get mine handmade, and for a pretty fine price to boot as I cut out the middle man. There's nothing nicer than the feel and quality of a handmade shirt and they last a hell of a lot longer than that Charles Tyrwhitt crap.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul (57 yrs young)
    Fashions come and go, style is timeless!

OP, you should start your learning here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Debretts-Gui.../dp/1870520777

Blog Entries
    SC, obvs.

+1. Or TK Max or Cosco.

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    So, be truthful, I asked in an earlier topic if Stoo is your real name. You really are Cornflake Ken aren't you?

I'd begun to think he really was a figment of my imagination. ( I'm out of there now, but is that where I know you from?)

Is it?
    Rumbled. It is I that comes in your dreams.

Rumbled. It is I that comes in your dreams.
    I read much of the night and go south in winter. From now on I shall be reading more of the night. Anything, even my winter 1958 Ian Allan combined edition, to stop me sleeping perchance to .......AAARGH!

Craftsman

Cool

Jeans - Levi,s or G Star

Polos etc - Ralph L or Boss

Shirts - Best Ralph L - Next for Office

Shoes - Jones Bootmaker

Only own one suite, Hugo Boss from an Outlet in Vagas & Tailored to fit in London.

Watch - Timefactors !!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I either use a shop or go online, is this post for real

Just get a onesie.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    i'd hate to have to wear suits and smart shirts/shoes every day. Feels totalitarian seeing so many people obliged to dress like that.
    You'll have a heart attack if you ever go to B&Q then - they wear uniforms that the management actually hands out!

As it goes I feel the same way about the regulatory jeans'n't-shirt uniform that people wear when they don't want to wear a, uh, uniform...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    That is extravagant. It is second hand Primark for me!

I'm dressed exclusively by Autograph at M&S, during the day, and in the evenings, when I'm relaxing in my luxurious country retreat, it's leisurewear by George at Asda. Tell them you know me, and they'll do you a special deal on jogging bottoms.

I cannot believe I am reading this.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I think you pre-empted the 'What butter substitute has street credibility' thread planned for next week.

I think you pre-empted the 'What butter substitute has street credibility' thread planned for next week.
    That is a much more nuanced question with a lot of science! I often stay awake at night wondering about it!

Craftsman
    This week I have mostly been wearing sackcloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

Perhaps the OP has a fear of turning up to a GTG inappropriately dressed - which is frankly histerical given the motley collection of twitchy eyed mismatched misfits that usually turn out.
    Gray

Oh that's easy - there is no substitute for real butter :)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    You'll have a heart attack if you ever go to B&Q then - they wear uniforms that the management actually hands out!

As it goes I feel the same way about the regulatory jeans'n't-shirt uniform that people wear when they don't want to wear a, uh, uniform...
    Ha, that's so true.
    We have a local art college nearby, at lunchtimes we play spot the art student. They are 'so' individual that they end up wearing the same art school uniform

Master
    Blog Entries
    My style tips come exclusively from http://lookatmyfuckingredtrousers.blogspot.co.uk/