closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying Art??

Craftsman

Buying Art??

I was walking through the south lanes in Brighton and I saw this cool art gallery. (BTW: I've never bought art from a gallery in my life as I don't have enough disposable money!!). I loved the work of JJ Adams http://www.jjadamsart.com/ and have got the bug. The stuff seems to sell out so quickly I've got sucked into this world and find myself spanking my 0% credit card and have bought about 5 pieces. So anyone else gone down a similar route and am I totally bonkers?? Cheers N Beers

Quote Originally Posted by Jamessh View Post
    I was walking through the south lanes in Brighton and I saw this cool art gallery. (BTW: I've never bought art from a gallery in my life as I don't have enough disposable money!!). I loved the work of JJ Adams http://www.jjadamsart.com/ and have got the bug. The stuff seems to sell out so quickly I've got sucked into this world and find myself spanking my 0% credit card and have bought about 5 pieces. So anyone else gone down a similar route and am I totally bonkers?? Cheers N Beers
    You are bonkers but it's no worse than sailing or watches.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like his stuff also, I have his Princess Leia on my wall, I guess you were in the cloud gallery opposite the town hall?

Master
    There's some interesting pieces there, obviously quite popular as they all appear to be sold out.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I like his stuff also, I have his Princess Leia on my wall, I guess you were in the cloud gallery opposite the town hall?
    Yes thats the place, there is also another Gallery in Worthing. His work is a bit out there but I just really like it... ha!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    There's some interesting pieces there, obviously quite popular as they all appear to be sold out.
    Its all new to me but he sells his work through a publisher 'wishbone' and local art galleries place orders. So you can get his stuff from independent galleries and on the net - but it does go really fast.

I guess it can be as addictive as any other interest, but I've never really understood the appeal of 'limited edition' prints (Perhaps the OP is buying original, but most in the link are prints)

Surely there's nothing to stop someone creating another 100/200/500 at any time, all you have is a machine copy of a piece of original art?

I have a watercolour of Ludlow Castle, it's the original used to make a print.

I think it was £250 and the seller seemed to regret his decision to offer it for sale and tried to persuade me to take a print for £100 instead, but the economics of it seemed insane to me.

Something someone had spent hours creating by hand or a machine made copy of that?!??!!

Even if the print had been £50, it wouldn't really have held any appeal to me. Whilst I like the picture, it's knowing the work that went into it that gives me pleasure owning it.

I guess if it's a print for £100 or an original for £10,000 it's a bit different, but I'd have to REALLY like an image to spend that much on a print, personally...

On a more general point, we have a few (quite cheap) original art works, but I've avoided straying into the realm of more expensive ones as I fear if really could be a very slippery slope!

I almost succumbed to a painting of an Owl (of all things!) in a gallery in Chester once, but my wife wasn't keen - I still wish I had

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I guess it can be as addictive as any other interest, but I've never really understood the appeal of 'limited edition' prints (Perhaps the OP is buying original, but most in the link are prints)

Surely there's nothing to stop someone creating another 100/200/500 at any time, all you have is a machine copy of a piece of original art?

I think it was £250 and the seller seemed to regret his decision to offer it for sale and tried to persuade me to take a print for £100 instead, but the economics of it seemed insane to me.

Something someone had spent hours creating by hand or a machine made copy of that?!??!!

Even if the print had been £50, it wouldn't really have held any appeal to me. Whilst I like the picture, it's knowing the work that went into it that gives me pleasure owning it.

I guess if it's a print for £100 or an original for £10,000 it's a bit different, but I'd have to REALLY like an image to spend that much on a print, personally...

On a more general point, we have a few (quite cheap) original art works, but I've avoided straying into the realm of more expensive ones as I fear if really could be a very slippery slope!

I almost succumbed to a painting of an Owl (of all things!) in a gallery in Chester once, but my wife wasn't keen - I still wish I had

M
    Well if you don't like limited edition prints and have any by Banksy please pass them on to me, I bought a few about 7/8 years ago and 3 that I have on the wall are now worth about £40k and I think I paid about £1200 for them! In saying that I have more by other artists that I am showing a loss on but the trick is only buy something you like and even if the value doesnt go up at least you can enjoy it!

Buying Art??

Sadly I don't have any banksys but I realise that some people do value prints highly, I just don't really understand why.

As you say, as with watches, the best thing is to buy what you like and you can't go too wrong.

As you can tell, I'm really not one to dabble in investments. I clearly don't have the understanding of the markets to successfully predict what will appreciate

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th November 2015 at 19:56.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    I have a signed Eve Arnold photographic print of Marilyn Monroe on set in the Misfits. That cost £400 and was limited run ( she released a few every year).

I was after a print of Link's famous Hotshot Eastbound, Iaeger, West Virginia. Sadly however I have been unable to find one below $11000 and they were small. A giclee art print may have to do for that one.

And I did pick up a pair of the Star Wars Lithos that Wampa was flogging on the SC. And I have to say they are superb and truly mint condition.

Apart from that there are a few friend's canvases up on the wall , some animation cells from my student film and even some of my own paintings ( something I hope very much to get back into when I retire...or sooner)

I also love "Flag" by Jasper Johns and a few of Map series but I don't see the point of owning a print of an impasto. I was thinking I'd do something similar in the same style ( like a page from an Argos catalogue).
    Last edited by Mr.D; 20th November 2015 at 20:26.

My girlfriend is an artist, usually photography. Her prints are all one-offs and she has no interest, despite requests, of doing larger runs as I think she feels it devalues the work (in every sense). They typically sell for £500 to £5k, which reflects the effort that goes into it. She won't work through a gallery as their margin is enormous so she tends to do prints to order for exhibitions and single collectors. She's aware there's a secondary market for her work, but she doesn't seem to care too much. It's hardly a living, but it makes for an interesting sideline.

I have been collecting art for years. It's a fine thing to do and shows you to be a man of some sensibility.

Having said that art is a very personal thing and some of what passes for art today is only fit for the skip in my view. But that's the point, it's my view. Collect what you enjoy and enjoy it.

Master
    I have spent way more on art than I have watches, but I am dealer so have an excuse (well that's what I tell my wife..) Maybe I should become a watch 'dealer' too, or will she see through that? Agree with aldfort, always buy what YOU like, not what others say you should like..

"Limited edition" "prints" that are basically photocopies - I don't get that at all.

Prints made by traditional printmaking techniques - woodcut engraving, etched or engraved metal plates, lithography, silkscreen, linocut - by their very nature the print run cannot be infinite, and by their very nature they involve a high degree of physical interaction on the part of the artist or at least at his direction, and by their very nature no two are exactly alike. That's a different thing altogether.

I've bought quite a lot of art. My only rule is that I buy what I like, but having checked current prices of stuff that I bought 10-20 years ago I would stand a reasonable chance of a fairly decent profit if I did sell.

As stated already buy what you like as you will have to live with it. Also, wherever possible, buy direct from the artist rather than through any gallery as they are the people reaping the profit. I had the very great pleasure of visiting the studio of the first Vietnamese conceptual artist - Vu Tan Dan - a few years ago and it was a really humbling experience. I bought a couple of things and he gave me a third piece - it wasn't cheap but I have a gut feeling that with the emergence of a middle class in that country that it just might turn out to have been a wise investment. I certainly won't forget having to spend three weeks carrying one of his cardboard Icarus sculpture successively between Hanoi, Ho Ch Minh and Bangkok about three times but I got it back to Berlin in one piece.

Another good place to look for us have been charity shops in Stockholm - the quality is often very high and though, if you manage to find other pieces by the artist online, prices may only be £60-£100 at auction I know that I only paid £3 for one of them framed. We now always come back with something.

Craftsman
    It is indeed a slippery slope. I started about 15 years ago buying LE prints at £100/£200 when I just thought something was nice. Then it started to go towards originals and like watches, you want to upgrade by the time you run out of wall space and see something better you like. My biggest expense was £5k on a fantastic work about 5 years ago. Price wise it has probably stayed around that value now, so not a money making exercise, but as others have said, buy what you like.

Another here who has spent more on art than watches... Usually buy original pieces and stay away from prints, but buy the 'right' print and it will stand you in good stead.

I have my spare room full of art as the wife and I have different tastes and I fight to the pieces on show :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Another here who has spent more on art than watches... Usually buy original pieces and stay away from prints, but buy the 'right' print and it will stand you in good stead.

I have my spare room full of art as the wife and I have different tastes and I fight to the pieces on show :-(
    As per my earlier post, a print handmade by a traditional printmaking technique can properly be considered an "original piece". Not so a photographic reproduction of a drawing or painting of course, which is what some people sell as "prints".

Thankfully on matters of taste and interior decoration in our homes I have the final say!

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    "Limited edition" "prints" that are basically photocopies - I don't get that at all.

Prints made by traditional printmaking techniques - woodcut engraving, etched or engraved metal plates, lithography, silkscreen, linocut - by their very nature the print run cannot be infinite, and by their very nature they involve a high degree of physical interaction on the part of the artist or at least at his direction, and by their very nature no two are exactly alike. That's a different thing altogether.
    Truth.

The funny thing is you can often buy an original piece of excellent quality (often 100 years old) for less than a "photocopy"
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    My view exactly

Craftsman
    Another who has spent more in art than watches. A slippery slope indeed. My art school days were in the early 80's and the thought that I would ever have Picasso, Miro, Dali or Chagall hanging on the wall was faintly ridiculous. However, signed limited edition prints can be affordable (relatively) speaking. As with watches, I never look at them as investments per se, but established artists' work will always have a value. Best purchase was an Alexander Calder print at a general auction, picked up for a couple of hundred and a Henry Moore print from an online seller at a very good price. As with SC, it pays to do your research as a 'giclee' print is very different from an etching or acquatint or screenprint.

Cloud gallery are great at displaying and marketing paintings, sadly i'm no painter so pulled my work out of all the Cloud locations a couple of months ago.

As for prints, i don't mind them. For us it is a much more affordable option to enjoy the artists we like. The artists produce them so why not, i check the original works price and if i can't afford it or it has sold, buy a print from the artist. I have still got my eye on a few originals at the minute though!