closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Route 66

Master

Route 66

Hi... Anybody done it? Always been an ambition of mine and I'm sort of half toying with the idea for May or June of 2017. Grateful for any guidance/pointers, positive or negative.

Rob

Not done it myself, but this may help you, it focuses on historic sites along the old route :

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66/

Yes! Well, what's left of it. Chicago to Springfield to OK city to NM to Grand Canyon to Vegas to San Diego to LA up route 1 and across to Lake Taho and then across back to Chicago. Fantastic, if not a little hectic two weeks. Stayed in vintage 50's motels that cater to the Route 66 feel when we could.

great way to see a variety of the states.

Bought these maps by state. Fun little things to see on each map

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...istoricroute66

Craftsman
    I have done portions of it, and just small bits were enough for me. The sections in New Mexico near Albuquerque, and in Arizona to the Grand Canyon were pretty cool, and quite close to the original. You will want to detour to the South Rim, no question, and stay in the park if you can. The tour busses leave just before sunset, and the experience at the Grand Canyon totally changes without the crowds. You'll need to book a stay well in advance though (up to a year).

I also understand that the section in California from Needles through Barstow and on to Victorville is really something, but I haven't done that yet.

Hoover Dam and Branson, MO aren't too far from parts of the Mother Road, and may be good sidetrips worth considering.

The National Park Service runs a very good site on the subject, and many of the maps/materials are available for free. http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66/index.html

I can say that I enjoyed other road trips of the American South much more, and I would put a trip around Southern Utah at the top of any list. http://www.visitutah.com/plan-your-t...timate-journey

Craftsman
    I've done it, but after Vegas we peeled off north and went to Yosemite, San Franciso and then dropped down to LA via Hwy 1. Spent 3 weeks doing it and I would recommend it to anyone. We only booked Chicago, Vegas and LA, the rest we just found motels as we went along. You'll end up doing a load of miles on the I40 as R66 isn't complete, but don't let that put you off. It's a good way to see lots of interesting places in America.

I did it for my honeymoon in 2009 - genuinely one of the best experiences I've had. We stayed at some very 'authentic' places (including wigwams, ranches etc) in the smaller towns and then stayed big in the cities.

It was an incredible experience.

Happy to dig out my itinerary, if needs be but there are some good resources on t'internet. Definitely buy one of the traditional maps in Chicago, it guides you (as your satnav won't) on the original route - a lot of times we'd be driving on a dust road alongside the i40, it was excellent - best done in a 4x4 though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I did several hundred miles of it in a Mustang last year on my 40th birthday road-trip around CA, NV, and AZ.

You HAVE to see Elmer's Bottle Tree Ranch if you are in the vicinity. He's an incredible bloke, and extremely friendly. I could have stayed and talked to him for days, but we had to get back to LA to hand the car back.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attract...alifornia.html

This is the only bit I'm aware of seeing

Get there early or late or it's a horrible tourist trap, as you can see!

M.

I'd love to do a trip like this too on my bucket lists...

There's this comp currently which I'll enter and put up with a Harley if necessary

http://www.motorcyclelive.co.uk/competition/route66/

Ideally on a Bonneville (no need to be vintage although would be lovely if on my own) but the confidence of a modern one with reliability would be fine....

I have no knowledge of the land or area but something like say Sacramento to San Francisco down to LA sounds like a dream trip to me..

My god daughter is an air hostess and posted this today...she's Christmas shopping apparently......You can go off people you know.....

Last edited by lordloz; 20th November 2015 at 20:15.

Master
    Hi.. Thanks, all. Unfortunately it will have to be by car as the memsahib wouldn't do two weeks in the back of a bike. At the moment it's just a plan, but I once did SF to LA, San Diego, Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite and back to SF in a 10 day trip so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Rob

Master
    I did the part from Cleveland Ohio to Phoenix AZ on the greyhound bus years ago. you get a very long bus ticket lol. took me about ten days as I kept getting off whenever I saw somewhere that looked good.

Journeyman
    Great fun and highly recommend. I did it with a bunch of friends, on motor bikes about 10 years ago. Great memories.

Apprentice
    I've done parts of it but, if you look at my location, you'll understand why. I just see most of it as another road but, the historic parts are interesting.