closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the Patek ads are so good.

Why the Patek ads are so good.

I've always liked them.

However I know that puts me in a very small minority amongst watch guys. But suspend your animosity for second, and hear me out.

They're not aimed at aficionados. They're aimed at everyone else. The well-heeled everyone else for sure. But hardly those who'd have any idea of the glorious history of the Peseux 260.

Thus, here's the rationale I read recently:

"I love the Patek ads because they leans so forcefully into the biggest barrier to purchasing a Patek Philippe watch: they cost a bloody fortune.

This idea assumes you want a Patek Philippe watch and gets on with closing the sale. This campaign sells very, very hard but it feels effortless.

Buying an expensive watch can feel like an insanely extravagant indulgence. We all know you're really wearing it just to make yourself feel better. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that.

So how do you transform buying a expensive Patek Philippe (a selfish act) into something that feels not only unselfish but a damn good long term investment?

Here's how. Do it for the kids.

A brilliant judo move."

And that's why they're so good.

Flame away.

I agree.
    I have always thought it is a very effective ad.
    I know it is fashionable to knock it but I always put it down to misery,snobbery or sometimes just plain Patek envy.

what if you don't have any offspring?

May I have the honour of supplying the traditional link?

http://the-toast.net/2013/12/09/you-...ything-really/

Master
    Wish I could remember the name of the guy on Timezone who used to make these spoof ads about 15 years ago, but credit to him anyway -

My disposition is not miserable and I am no more or less snobbish than the majority of the membership here and, though there are a couple of watches I envy people for owning, I envy in the comedic sense - without malice and with a certain admiration.
    Unless we are talking about a watch commissioned by a certain Henry Graves, there is no Patek Phillippe watch I would ever be jealous of anybody else owning - and I will certainly own a PP before the decade is out.

That said, those adverts are awful and the wealthy seem to share the same brain patterns as the very old - a love for overly-decorated baubles and ornaments and a fondness for adverts in sepia that resemble the Werthers original adverts...

Re: My disposition is not miserable

Hmm, you could have easily fooled me there.:-)

An opened condom wrapper. If only he had :-/

My lot will have to make do with a selection of Vostoks and knackered Seikos

Oh man !! That Charlie Sheen ad is a classic

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's how he paid people to keep quiet, paid them in PP's.

The problem with many a WIS is tunnel vision. Very often if not always the ads are targeting the casual watch fan or even a non-fan who is just buying a watch because he has the cash and feels he needs a good watch.
    The primary goal of these ads is to first and foremost create visibility and then drive aspiration. A lot of my friends who are not WIS have seen the PP ad and remember it and aspire to own one someday. They have heard PP are special watches and the ad drives that point home successfully.
    I have zero faith in occasional ad types who show up on watch fora and claim to know about what watch ads work and which don't.
    I Had seen the PP ad long before I got into watches and it had always stayed with me.
    And, my anecdotal experience is that it always seems to create the desired impact amongst regular Joes.
    So while, WIS may scoff at PP ads and other luxury watch ads, the fact remains that they often work. Not always but often.

Years ago my friend's dad was something senior in sales for Nestlé.

We bemoaned the cheesy Nescafe ads with Anthony Head and Sharon Maughan and he said, yes they're annoying and crass but everyone remembers them and that they're for Nescafe.

Some of my favourite ads I forget what they're for, but not those Nescafe ads, Werthers Originals or Patek Phillipe watches.

I rather like Nescafe, but Gold Blend less so, but Werthers Originals are never on my list of confectionery to consider and PP don't figure in my list of watches to want either, even on a wistful wish list, so good ads put a product in your mind but you've got to want the product before it becomes a sale.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I like them (the ad’s): they’re different, they’re playing on a specific emotion and as the OP says, that’s why they’re so good’.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I find them cringworthy good.

those that need to know, know. those that don't know, don't need to know.

Craftsman
    The ads are fantastic. Brilliant ads that stay with you, everyone remembers the line.
    Having said that I do agree with others here that I'd rather buy a Moser or Journe. Pateks designs are too old fashioned for me.

I like them, they're a bit of fun.

I think it was Steve Coogan who said; the models look like the SS and the Hitler youth.

Last edited by TimeOut; 20th November 2015 at 11:30.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The PP ads are memorable, a small part of me wants one "because it's a PP" but yet to make me get one.

The best watch adverts were the very wordy ones from Rolex in the 1970s and 1980s. They were of their time - do you get wordy adverts now? - but the story really sold them to me. The current adverts seem to be just a picture of a watch, not really compelling.

I liked the Gold Blend adverts!

I remember the only 'sadness' I had when we were told we were having a daughter was that I wouldn't be able to give my Pateks to her... That is some pretty impressive advertising! I suppose they'll just pay her school fees instead :(

Or maybe not...

That's a superior advert for PP to any of their toffee brown efforts.

Very cute!

Master
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB89gbEsASw

I mean yes they are cheesy but I find them effective. I find them far more tasteful then say those LAME bond associations and all that.

It's exactly the same strategy that worked extremely well for DeBeers; they managed to convince everyone that they needed a diamond in a very short time.

Patek Philippe has shamelessly ripped off this campaign, right down to the photography and layout:

Patek seems to be doing a good job of convincing aspirational types to blow the kids' inheritance on a fragile and high-maintenance indulgence.

As useless as diamonds are, at least they don't have any moving parts or require lengthy and expensive servicing. Some of the more naïve Patek owners are going to become quite familiar with the term "white elephant".

By the way, I don't believe most modern Patek products will have nearly the "investment" potential of the older ones. For one thing, there's a lot more of them out there, and for another, I just don't think the design quality is living up to the hype these days. Finally, a substantial amount of their blue-chip reputation has been based on Patek's shady bidding practices and auction manipulation.

They're setting themselves up for a rather nasty bubble-bursting.
    Last edited by Belligero; 20th November 2015 at 12:29.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Patek seems to be doing a good job of convincing aspirational types to blow the kids' inheritance on a fragile and high-maintenance indulgence.

As useless as diamonds are, at least they don't have any moving parts or require lengthy and expensive servicing
    Some of the more naïve Patek owners are going to become quite familiar with the term "white elephant".
    Excellent insight. I'll certainly pay attention to what you have to say about Patek in future. But not other luxury brands; will they be ok in future because you personally prefer their advertising.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Excellent insight. I'll certainly pay attention to what you have to say about Patek in future. But not other luxury brands; will they be ok in future because you personally prefer their advertising.
    Just to make it clear:

I'm not saying they're bad watches — despite some quality-control issues that have been surfacing recently, they're generally very well-made — but I am saying that their products have had some visual weaknesses since the boss' wife started fancying herself as a watch designer. In particular, some the dials have been quite obviously unprofessional in recent years.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that they're not necessarily a good ownership proposition for someone who doesn't have much watch interest or knowledge. It's a common assumption that the more a watch costs, the more reliable and lower-maintenance it will be. This is most definitely not the case.

They're not exactly what I'd call robust, that's for sure. I know of a few owners who have found this out the hard way.

[COLOR=#333333]Just to make it clear:
    I think you have made your position very (laughably?) clear already.

As useless as diamonds are, at least they don't have any moving parts or require lengthy and expensive servicing. Some of the more naïve Patek owners are going to become quite familiar with the term "white elephant".
    I'm not quite sure agree. Diamonds are a successful cartel operation because they're actually stored in huge abundance, De Beers have an untold quantity just lying around, they just control the release to effectively control demand, and propagate the impression of scarcity. A PP is a luxury purchase, no one is trying to convince you of the necessity to buy one. Anyone likely to be targeted or affected by their advertising is already looking to drop five figures on a luxury timepiece, they're certainly not trying to convince you that your child will disown you unless they inherit a PP.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I think you have made your position very (laughably?) clear already.
    You're obviously a watch enthusiast; you know what you're buying and how to look after it. This certainly does not apply to all buyers.

I'm glad that I've provided you with some levity, though! :D

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    I'm not quite sure agree. Diamonds are a successful cartel operation because they're actually stored in huge abundance, De Beers have an untold quantity just lying around, they just control the release to effectively control demand, and propagate the impression of scarcity. A PP is a luxury purchase, no one is trying to convince you of the necessity to buy one. Anyone likely to be targeted or affected by their advertising is already looking to drop five figures on a luxury timepiece, they're certainly not trying to convince you that your child will disown you unless they inherit a PP.
    No disagreement here.

Of course, diamonds are also a luxury purchase. There are clear similarities between the Patek and De Beers campaigns; they're essentially interchangeable, right down to the slogans.

Some thing that the two campaigns have in common is making people who are rich enough to have an enormous range of choice available to them think that they don't have a choice.

- You're rich? You have to spend it on diamonds and Pateks.

- Oh ok.

Of course, diamonds are also a luxury purchase. There are clear similarities between the Patek and De Beers campaigns; they're essentially interchangeable, right down to the slogans.
    Thats where I'd say we have a difference of opinion, diamonds should be a luxury purchase but the marketing has penetrated most social classes. Your Lords and Sirs will be buying diamond rings, and it may come as a surprise but the working class strive towards it too. How common is the old anecdote of workers doing overtime to save up for that "diamond engagement ring"? In fact, you did address it yourself earlier with "It's exactly the same strategy that worked extremely well for DeBeers; they managed to convince everyone that they needed a diamond in a very short time." Everyone, not just the luxury market.

Thats where I'd say we have a difference of opinion, diamonds should be a luxury purchase but the marketing has penetrated most social classes. Your Lords and Sirs will be buying diamond rings, and it may come as a surprise but the working class strive towards it too. How common is the old anecdote of workers doing overtime to save up for that "diamond engagement ring"? In fact, you did address it yourself earlier with "It's exactly the same strategy that worked extremely well for DeBeers; they managed to convince everyone that they needed a diamond in a very short time." Everyone, not just the luxury market.
    I genuinely don't think we differ on principle here.

There are some markets where people of more or less ordinary means for the region will save up for a Patek Philippe, just as they would for a diamond engagement ring. And it's easy to forget that to much of the world, a diamond ring is just as much of an indulgence as a fancy wristwatch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    May I have the honour of supplying the traditional link?

http://the-toast.net/2013/12/09/you-...ything-really/
    Excellent! Traditional it may be but I hadn't seen that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Martin or Charlie ?

There are some markets where people of more or less ordinary means for the region will save up for a Patek Philippe, just as they would for a diamond engagement ring. And it's easy to forget that to much of the world, a diamond ring is just as much of an indulgence as a fancy wristwatch.
    I am not really sure what you are doing on a watch forum unless your cynicism is selective.
    Watches are a luxury for the most part
    and luxury watches more so.
    Watch companies try to sell your watches and they advertise to make you buy those.
    Nothing new or unremarkable there.
    Every luxury goods manufacturer is trying to get your kids' inheritance.
    PP is not unique to that.
    The question was about the effectiveness of the ads and not the same ole rhetoric about luxury watches.

Master
    It's exactly the same strategy that worked extremely well for DeBeers; they managed to convince everyone that they needed a diamond in a very short time.

Patek Philippe has shamelessly ripped off this campaign, right down to the photography and layout:

By the way, I don't believe most modern Patek products will have nearly the "investment" potential of the older ones. For one thing, there's a lot more of them out there, and for another, I just don't think the design quality is living up to the hype these days. Finally, a substantial amount of their blue-chip reputation has been based on Patek's shady bidding practices and auction manipulation.

Mate have you ever OWNED a patek philippe? I have and here is what I have to say.

Firstly, most of the modern pateks, particularly the Cal 324 is SUPER robust, packed with technical innovations, look at http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=410258

Secondly they are not as fragile as you think. Pateks, particularly the ones under £40K are the ULTIMATE EVERY DAY watch that can take alot of abuse. Sure you wouldnt necessarily want to put it through abuse but they can handle it if you want it to. A 5711 Nautilus is waterproof to 120M which is 20M more than the Rolex Explorer, Rolex GMT II, Bremonts, etc. It is accurate to -2 + 3 which is TIGHTER than any COSC certification.

I agree that the modern pateks will most likely not become the "investment" watch that historical pateks enjoys. However in terms of value retention Pateks perform amazingly, second to Rolex but definately up there with the best value retention. Try selling a diamond in the 2ndary market....

I just find them smug.
    "A man of little significance"

Has anyone here been given their PP by their Papa?

Its a fair point. However I don't think Patek Philippe have quite the "household name" status that brands like Rolex do for the average Joe to aspire and save, to.

I'm on first name terms with several billionaires through work, I've seen their watch boxes and experienced their attitude towards luxury goods.

Those the Patek adverts are aimed at; people who can really comfortably afford several new or rare vintage Patek in their jewellery box, just want exquisite trinkets, money no object. They would'nt feel the slightest nip at the purse strings or give a second thought about handing them down or giving them away to loved ones. They see the Patek adverts and have a warm feeling that gives added comfort to the ownership prospect.

If I had one of these, I'd do my best to take it with me...

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I am not really sure what you are doing on a watch forum unless your cynicism is selective.
    Watches are a luxury for the most part
    and luxury watches more so.
    Watch companies try to sell your watches and they advertise to make you buy those.
    Nothing new or unremarkable there.
    Every luxury goods manufacturer is trying to get your kids' inheritance.
    PP is not unique to that.
    The question was about the effectiveness of the ads and not the same ole rhetoric about luxury watches.
    Regrets, you may have been under the impression that being on a watch forum means that reasoned critique doesn't apply. One of my favourite aspects of TZ-UK is that people here don't tend to sugarcoat their opinions, and that it's possible to have a free discussion. Plenty of "hooray-for-everything" sites around if you can't handle any cognitive dissonance.

Patek Philippe is arguably the standard-bearer in the industry, so they should be held to high standards. I feel that they're showing some signs of complacency. It benefits nobody in the long run to grant them some sort of papal infallibility, and the same applies to any other company.

We're all well aware here that watches are a luxury item. I have no problem with that; in fact, I like high-quality watches very much. I'm not saying that they're a bad thing.

So while you may not feel that mentioning the overt and un-subtle parallels between De Beers and Patek Philippe advertising is relevant to a discussion about ...er... Patek Philippe advertisements, I believe it's directly relevant and it does much to explain their effectiveness.

Its a fair point. However I don't think Patek Philippe have quite the "household name" status that brands like Rolex do for the average Joe to aspire and save, to.
    I'm guessing you've never been to Singapore or Hong Kong? ;)

The ads are somewhat polarising for sure and no offense to people who dont like those or find them smug or misleading.
    Show me one ad which doesnt try to drum up sales by promoting either a product's qualities, uniqueness or desirability.
    Thats the very purpose of ads. I think it is effective. I bought PP becasue I like the watches and believe in their quality. I realise it is not really an investement as such.
    As mentioned before, when I first saw the ad,I did find it effective and certainly didnt turn me off.

The ads are somewhat polarising for sure and no offense to people who dont like those or find them smug or misleading.
    Show me one ad which doesnt try to drum up sales by promoting either a product's qualities, uniqueness or desirability.
    Thats the very purpose of ads. I think it is effective. I bought PP becasue I like the watches and believe in their quality. I realise it is not really an investement as such.
    As mentioned before, when I first saw the ad,I did find it effective and certainly didnt turn me off.
    I think my dislike for the ads is the same as for the Werther's Originals.

They 'feel' manipulative to me.

Playing on your children ("Buy this stupidly expensive trinket and it's OK because your kids will love you when you give it to them, but buy another brand and you're just letting them down, you failure of a parent") is a cynical ploy.

Your children will, obviously, be much better served by you sticking the cash in a high interest savings account, but that won't sell YOU a watch...

I don't like the ads, I feel them trying to exploit a part of me that sales people have no right to be in.

"If the watches are so good, why do they feel the need to emotionally blackmail you into buying one?", is the feeling I'm left with...

Not smug, just a little distasteful, to my mind... but maybe that's just me... and I'm not their target market...

I don't have any strong views on the watches, to be honest.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th November 2015 at 16:56.

I'm guessing you've never been to Singapore or Hong Kong? ;)
    If we're cherry-picking demographics to bolster our points of view, this becomes a little pointless don't you think? Condescending smiley faces or not.

Snowman,
    I get your point but for me emotional manipulation would be if they implied that if you didnt buy a PP to pass on, you are bad dad!
    And, passing on a watch to the next generation is not a novel concept at all.
    How many posts do we see about people buying a watch to pass on to the son on their 21st?
    Again, am not being a mouthpiece for PP but just trying to understand some of the negativity.

Snowman,
    I get your point but for me emotional manipulation would be if they implied that if you didnt buy a PP to pass on, you are bad dad!
    And, passing on a watch to the next generation is not a novel concept at all.
    How many posts do we see about people buying a watch to pass on to the son on their 21st?
    Again, am not being a mouthpiece for PP but just trying to understand some of the negativity.
    Well, isn't that exactly what they ARE implying? It's certainly what I get from the ads and, whether you think I'm right or not is irrelevant.

Advertising sends out messages, if it's sending the wrong one to too many people they should change it, but it's likely that they find that the message it sends sells more watches (ultimately the whole point). If it offends 50% of the people who see it, so what, if 10% of the other 50% buy one as a result of feeling they need to to pass it on to the next generation...

As the OP quoted, it's a very hard sell and you either roll with it or push against it.

It rubs me up the wrong way. All that form of advertising does...

M.

Same here BUT I am beginning to understand some of Belligero's points; how many buyers will have been sucked in with the 'investment potential' of their basically mass-produced Calatrava? They may well have a nasty shock one day.

However the adverts are smart and effective - who doesn't want to think they'll leave their kids with something to treasure; an heirloom.

Better that than 'your fat, balding dad thought he was James Bond'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Same here BUT I am beginning to understand some of Belligero's points; how many buyers will have been sucked in with the 'investment potential' of their basically mass-produced Calatrava? They may well have a nasty shock one day.

However the adverts are smart and effective - who doesn't want to think they'll leave their kids with something to treasure; an heirloom.

Better that than 'your fat, balding dad thought he was James Bond'.
    Yeah i mean if any patek has a chance at being an investment its the select grand comp application pieces. Even they are not AS rare as before. No chance any simple calatrava/nautilus, complications can be investment grade at all.