Thread: Bentley new SUV on the road

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post

(looks like Ssan Yong designed it imo)
    You mean UK designer Ken Greenley?

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Thatīs andalucia.
    Tracks that under such summer conditions are negotiated with R4s too.
    A bit different after some rain. Even mild. Canīt see this heavy lump with way too wide road rubber coming far.
    It was said with tongues in cheek

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    It was said with tongues in cheek
    The whole thing is a too fat tongue in a bloated cheek.

I live in a region where car manufacturers like to introduce new models either on the road or off. Obviously primairily because of the sun chance and secondly because of the low traffic density. The good weather means that any unmetalled excursion is a doddle.

The slightest bit of rain changes that. The fine dust changes in unbelievably slippery and sticky chalk clay. A car like that Bently needs all the electronics to get off an unmetalled parking lot then :-)
    It is why we have proper 4x4s with 50/50 rubber as dailys and why many vilagers suffer mud terrains through the dry months. Looks quite cool that btw; an old R4 or Marbella on knobblies.

Anyway, you already know that the off road aspect of these SUVs is not even a thionly disguised pretext to buy something grotesque.

I'd sooner have a Lada Niva

Master
    It's awful but will sell loads no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Awful. Like a bad Chinese copy of an already bad SUV eeewwwwwww.
    That's what I thought - all wrong. Just appalling.

Sorry, but it looks positively gopping. The lines, waistline, arches, everything just make it look heavy and over-worked. No line flows into any other with finesse or cohesion. It'll sell by the boat load, no doubt.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'd sooner have a Lada Niva
    Which actually is a VERY competent offroader with perfect functionality as a village runabout. On proper profile rubber it is your own fault if you get stuck with one and it has plenty of space for such a light compact car.
    A very good and bomb proof car. Just not crammed with modern 'neccessities' which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Apprentice
    Reminds me of a Chrysler.

It sure is ugly. But that won't bother the footballers WAGs that will drive them.

Master
    Not my sort of vehicle at all but if it generates employment and prosperity in the UK and export incomes then I'm a huge fan (pretty much how I feel about the Evoque too).

A shame the ultimate profit ends up in Germany but that is less important.

Which actually is a VERY competent offroader with perfect functionality as a village runabout. On proper profile rubber it is your own fault if you get stuck with one and it has plenty of space for such a light compact car.
    A very good and bomb proof car. Just not crammed with modern 'neccessities' which is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Lada Niva was the first car I drove. My friend's grandpa had two, one to house the chickens. We were allowed to drive the other one on the around the farm.

Master
    Image problem aside (and I really wouldn't care) I am a fan of the Continental and Flying Spur and Mulsanne (And have been lucky enough to drive them all).

But that '4x4' thing is proper rank. So disappointing.

It's been interesting to watch BMW and VAG's stewardship of Rolls-Royce and Bentley respectively. The former totally understands what a Royce should be, the latter hasn't a clue what they're doing with Bentley.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    one to house the chickens.
    See??!! I bet thery were as happy as you were to drive ' your' first car.
    Can't see that Bentley attract that many chicks apart from gold digging ones.
    The Lada type happily digs in the dirt and GIVES eggs.

Master
    Will it tow this across a wet field??

Mind you, after my Mrs has filled it with horse stuff all smelling of horse and horse crap....it might knock the value a bit...

Last edited by Enoch; 20th November 2015 at 17:51.

So to add a bit more to the mix, I haven't seen this talked about much either ....

So yes it's smaller and a different class segment altogether but what about the Jaguar, also a British icon and arguably (or not judging by majority of comments so far) a better design and better proportioned..

Though they almost seem to want to take sales off themselves a bit JLR do seem to be getting it right lately too...

Now available again in the UK (left hand drive) with a 5 door on the way for about 10k.

I'm liking the Jag alot.
    Better looking altogether than the Bentley.

So to add a bit more to the mix, I haven't seen this talked about much either ....

So yes it's smaller and a different class segment altogether but what about the Jaguar, also a British icon and arguably (or not judging by majority of comments so far) a better design and better proportioned..

Though they almost seem to want to take sales off themselves a bit JLR do seem to be getting it right lately too...

A friend of mine is a Bentley test driver, and indeed was out driving the SUV in Spain last week as part of the dealer launch.

Apparently it is amazingly capable, despite being amazingly ugly. Range Rover manage to do manage a degree of class, while this is a degree of crass.

Looking at the picture, it's visually bland, I'm afraid. How it will drive, I can't comment on.

You could put any manufacturer's badge (from Dacia to BMW, via Kia or even Lada) on that body & it'd fit right into their range.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Looking at the picture, it's visually bland, I'm afraid. How it will drive, I can't comment on.

You could put any manufacturer's badge (from Dacia to BMW, via Kia or even Lada) on that body & it'd fit right into their range.
    Indeed and that applies to a lot of cars out there today unfortunately ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Is this thing half-brothers with the Toureg and/or Cayenne?
    Just what I was going to say. It's another rebadged Touareg.

Looking at the picture, it's visually bland, I'm afraid. How it will drive, I can't comment on. You could put any manufacturer's badge (from Dacia to BMW, via Kia or even Lada) on that body & it'd fit right into their range.
    Sadly true of all the current "Jaguar"-badged Tatas.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Just what I was going to say. It's another rebadged Touareg.
    It's more Audi Q7 directly so yes Tuareg too, via Cayenne etc....

This is a little bit more like it Bentley however ...

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/brit...ric-sports-car

Last edited by lordloz; 20th November 2015 at 22:27.

You mean UK designer Ken Greenley?
    Yes, he who designed the wonderful rhodius. I don't care where he comes from...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool

Like with the Swiss watch industry, the main stream manufacturers are part of a highly incestuous limited group of holdings, who as often as not are not stemming from car industry origins.

Again like Swiss watches, this means that most cars are selected badges from a concern stuck onto a cloned design based on a shared platform.

Platforms and engines are even jointly ventured by different concerns leading to cross competition commonality even.

Add to this the middle of the road taste of the main stream of the market, as is pointedly illustrated by the popular SsangYong bashing, and the not related products are presented dripping with the same sauce.

An imo hilarious aspetc of it all is that although eagles fly alone and ducks in flocks, those who like to show off their Veblen car still want to belong to a flock, identifying them as wealthy ducks.

p.s. I'd happily buy, own and drive a 4x4 automatic Rhodius and stick a huge Ninja warrior decal on the sides :-)

It really has had a dammed good thrashing with the ugly stick!!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    A friend of mine is a Bentley test driver, and indeed was out driving the SUV in Spain last week as part of the dealer launch.
    Yeah, I live in the region.
    The conditions they had proove only that the car has a low gear setting. As I wrote earlier, an R4 ore Marbella gets about everywhere then.
    Pity they didn't have a bit of rain.
    There is a reason that series II/III LandRover by Santana are on SATs here.

There's one guy here in the village with his Tuareg on illegal size nobblies; that one DOES get around! Modern, amazing traction control allowed to show it's merits with grip and a bit better ground clearance.
    It looks good too. Imo the best looking SUV I have seen. Well, apart from Dangel 504 a m.y. 2000+ Musso on serious rubber.

Master
    ^thisi....

In one really...,and that's the thing...

There's plenty of us who don't like it....but there's plenty of customers out there who do...and the Porsche and Q7 (which essentially this is) aren't lookers either but sold plenty of them too....

And the difference being, actual customers who have the money and like the product, and those who haven't got the money and hate it.

Of course there is another group to which I belong. Those who think it's great but can't afford it.

Yeah, I live in the region.
    The conditions they had proove only that the car has a low gear setting. As I wrote earlier, an R4 ore Marbella gets about everywhere then.
    Pity they didn't have a bit of rain.
    There is a reason that series II/III LandRover by Santana are on SATs here.

There's one guy here in the village with his Tuareg on illegal size nobblies; that one DOES get around! Modern, amazing traction control allowed to show it's merits with grip and a bit better ground clearance.
    It looks good too. Imo the best looking SUV I have seen. Well, apart from Dangel 504 a m.y. 2000+ Musso on serious rubber.
    Hi cilla, I think you might be looking too a bit too much into the off road part I threw the pics in for a laugh as the people who buy them won't be doing that ever, although the sands of Dubai etc where most will be sold its an appealing press shot...off road capabilities are probably in abundance in the land rover thread

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hi cilla, I think you might be looking too a bit too much into the off road part
    My point is that this is a token part of this breed of SUV.

A point that does add weight, raises cog, increases fuel consumption/ emission, crash incompatibility and augments the Peltzman effect.
    The token offroadability does do harm. Literaly!

It is with reason that SUVs are being banned from urban areas by city councils in p.e. Oz.
    Not at all that much fun for those who need a proper 4x4.

Imo limiting these things is more needed than 15 or 30 km/h zones.

No one buying one of these will care.

I don't and I can't even afford one.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    No one buying one of these will care.

I don't and I can't even afford one.
    True.
    Nobody cares that these 'cars' drive about yet public opinion is paranoid about say a pen knife.

Ever so illustrative since the State monopoly on 'violence' serves to maintain the present day distribution of wealth.

Someone quite local to me has bought one and I saw this in the flesh today, in white. My goodness, what a boring, nondescript vehicle devoid of any presence. Apart from the interior, I can genuinely say there was nothing about it of any interest. No masculine beefy Bentley shape to get the pulse going. It just looked like a huge Audi. I suppose if you have one in London, you'll be confident it won't get keyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Someone quite local to me has bought one and I saw this in the flesh today, in white. My goodness, what a boring, nondescript vehicle devoid of any presence. Apart from the interior, I can genuinely say there was nothing about it of any interest. No masculine beefy Bentley shape to get the pulse going. It just looked like a huge Audi. I suppose if you have one in London, you'll be confident it won't get keyed.
    Saw this had the Frankfurt motorshow last year, had a poke around.

As you say it is a Audi, but a very expensive one.

We could not find appeal from any angle, it will however I'm sell well in the states and far east, also not let's forget all those talented footballs with some much taste!!!!!!!

Craftsman
    It isn't a pretty car but then neither is the Continental and that sold well

Very weird looking. I don't really get this luxury off roader thing? Nobody in their right mind would drive something that expensive off road would they? the cost of stone chips alone would put most people off. In the pictures it really does look ugly, like a cheap Chinese rip off or something. Mind you, it screams 'look at me I'm loaded' so I'm sure will appeal to that particular crowd!

Grand Master
    I don't get the SUV thing at all, and I certainly can't see the appeal of the expensive ones like this. It looks crap to me and it seriously compromises the brand IMO. Same comments apply to the Jaguar van thing, the BMW X5 and that ugly Porsche thing.

Why do people buy these things? The aesthetic appeal is zero, they're all pig ugly to a greater or lesser extent.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I don't get the SUV thing at all, and I certainly can't see the appeal of the expensive ones like this. It looks crap to me and it seriously compromises the brand IMO. Same comments apply to the Jaguar van thing, the BMW X5 and that ugly Porsche thing.

Why do people buy these things? The aesthetic appeal is zero, they're all pig ugly to a greater or lesser extent.

Paul
    Whilst I'm no great fan of large (or any really) 4x4s, I can see the logic in them when compared to, say, an S class or seven series. You get all the luxury, more than adequate performance and the ability to drive across a field if required.
    It's just a little extra convenience albeit at the cost of lower fuel economy but let's face it, when your spending Ģ100k on a car, the cost of fuel isn't necessarily going to be an issue.
    My wife also feels safer in 4x4s although her driving is mainly on country lanes.

I can't say I'm a fan of 4x4's but having moved to a rural area last year - and having had to turn around on 6 occasions this winter due to flooded roads, and avoid muddy tracks on numerous occasions (some of which lead to some lovely little pubs!) I've recently acquired a Volvo xc60 and am enjoying being able to cross unbridged fords, see over hedges and drive up soft verges when tractors come in the opposite direction without fear of getting stuck. I've given up washing it every weekend since taking delivery 3 weeks ago as the sides are sprayed with mud on nearly every journey (and this is Spring allegedly!). As an urban vehicle I don't see the point though, and compared to my old people carrier it guzzles diesel and I am finding parking a bit trickier than any previous car. But for my circumstances it seems to make sense - and a cursory glance at the roads around me suggests it is a sensible choice as 80% of cars are SUV's - in fact there are loads of old Defenders, and more Subara Foresters than I've ever seen in London. My window cleaner and builders seem to approve of my new car, although apparently if I'd bought a new Range Rover (not like I can afford one!) I'd be a laughing stock 😊

Same here re rural. My next motor will be a decent sized 4x4 as have had big problems with mine when the snow came.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    ...You get all the luxury, more than adequate performance and the ability to drive across a field if required....
    Having been a daily 4x4 driver for nearly 15 years now (same vehicle), I can't think of any other "car" that would suit me and my family as well. All the benefits of a large estate/MPV (mine seats 8 adults) plus even greater space along with the flexibility that higher ground clearance and 4 wheel drive provide. Potholes, speed humps, broken kerbs, soft verges - I don't really have to worry about any of those as they're all taken in its stride.

The high driving position means that visibility is superb and tends to make it a very relaxing drive. The footprint is no larger than a E-Class or 5 series, so parking etc. is no more hassle, however I have to be careful of some height restrictions*.

Mine's what I would class as a "proper" 4x4 - it's a Toyota Landcruiser and nearly 20 years old. I'm rather cynical about this new breed of posh Chelsea tractors.

Yes, it does use a bit of extra fuel and it can be a bit boring to drive but very relaxed and as stress-free as you can get - other than being chauffeured of course!

Mine's what I would class as a "proper" 4x4 - it's a Toyota Landcruiser and nearly 20 years old. I'm rather cynical about this new breed of posh Chelsea tractors.

P.S. If I want to have "fun", I take the MX5.
    Last edited by vagabond; 19th April 2016 at 08:24.

Bentley know their market. This isn't aimed at the proletariat, or "old money".

This is aimed squarely at "new money". The Far East, and footballers.

The problem is that when this car was signed off, there was probably a huge market for it in China, and all of a sudden that has somewhat contracted. As if VW didn't have enough to worry about at the moment.

Agreed but they will still sell all they cam make. I went to the launch of the Aston DB11 at the weekend and you wouldn't believe the orders being taken.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Having been a daily 4x4 driver for nearly 15 years now (same vehicle), I can't think of any other "car" that would suit me and my family as well.

P.S. If I want to have "fun", I take the MX5.
    We NEED proper 4WD over the winter months+, so we have old school 4x4s as dailies, but would more than happily enjoy proper road cars if not for that.

Same thing the rubbah. We need tread that can cope with a bit of mud, M&S. This limits cornering speed which imo is good but is also adds to the braking distance.

As to the safety, there are several angles to it with the perception being a double edged sword and the weight/cog a serious negative. The collision incompatibility with other vehicles is an ethical issue I am not all too comfortable with.

Blog Entries
    Yes, the extra weight and higher CoG are certainly negative points but you soon learn to drive within the vehicle's limits. For example in my Landcruiser, forget me, even a talented driver would struggle to keep up with a CRV/XC90/Sportage, let alone a powerful X5/Cayenne/RR/Bentley SUV.

I'm happy with the slow and steady approach.....As I said, for me at least, it lends itself to a more relaxed driving style.

WRT to collisions, I'm under no pretence that "I'm in a big 4x4 and I will be fine" - I doubt there will be any winners in a severe impact.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Its called business, we may not like it but so what!

Bentley are in the business of selling expensive cars, I cant afford one but if my numbers come up on Friday I'll definitely buy the Landrover that Franky FF has in stock or maybe a G-Wagon, anything but that awful
    bloody Bentley.

You claim this is ugly, but would consider a G-wagen, designed for the German army...???

BMW X6, as was Cayenne, slated at launch, but has been one of their best selling SUVs.....
    It is called 'creating a demand' !!

The looks of the Bentley SUV may not be to everyone's taste, but I bet it's an absolute delight to be inside and travel in.

Banned
    Blog Entries

WRT to collisions, I'm under no pretence that "I'm in a big 4x4 and I will be fine" - I doubt there will be any winners in a severe impact.
    Nevertheless, the greater height of the SUV which is heavier as well, wrecks havoc with smaller city cars.
    As the small sized runabouts are mostly used in urbanized areas I think the SUVs are undesirable there.

When I look at the situation in our village in the middle of agricultural country I strongly feel that only the wider main roads should be accessible to SUVs/ 4x4s/ pickups et al.
    I feel even more strongly about that in cities not in the middle of farming land.
    And that is with us having two old school 4x4s because we need them.