closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bentley new SUV on the road

Blog Entries
    Where do you stop? That argument can be used to stop vans, lorries and buses using urban areas, as they will all wreck havoc with small city cars. In fact the same argument can be used to stop small city cars in urban areas as they will wreck havoc with cyclists.

We all need to be more aware of other road users, learn to share the road space with them and perhaps most of all, a bit more patient at times with them.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    The car is awful looking - I think the likes of Bentley should not move into offering a multi model range.

Leave that to the other brands.....
    Sure, but this would increase the likelihood of Bentley making less money and being less able to sell their other cars around the planet, thus generating less income and need for jobs in the premium manufacturing sector. If you want that, isn't it kind of... weird?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Very weird looking. I don't really get this luxury off roader thing? Nobody in their right mind would drive something that expensive off road would they?
    Does anybody take Cayennes or X6s off-road? Why would this be different - the answer is a handful at best, and even then, perhaps just once to prove it can do it. These cars are bought by the rich who live in urban areas and their entourage has Land Rovers for going off-road ;).

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    It's been interesting to watch BMW and VAG's stewardship of Rolls-Royce and Bentley respectively. The former totally understands what a Royce should be, the latter hasn't a clue what they're doing with Bentley.
    Well, Bentley sales did dip last year with the clampdown on China corruption and the drying up of oil money. But Bentley still makes more cars than it ever did (last year's drop doesn't make a dent in the stellar rises since 2010), the Americans still love them and with this horrid-looking SUV, will be able to double volume with a couple of years. They may have raped the memory of old WO six ways till Tuesday, then thrown the remains in a philosophical Blendtec and hit frappé, but there is a demand and people buy them. It is obviously more downmarket than Rolls-Royce, and it's a stretch from a Bentley to an SUV, but for better or worse it was inevitable.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Where do you stop? That argument can be used to stop vans, lorries and buses using urban areas,
    Do read my mention of main roads. Where the buses go, SUVs can go. Lorries are banned from quite a few areas already.

Meanwhile I shudder when I see the school run moms in their posh SUVs mix it with the kids at/near the schools.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Well, Bentley sales did dip last year with the clampdown on China corruption and the drying up of oil money. But Bentley still makes more cars than it ever did (last year's drop doesn't make a dent in the stellar rises since 2010), the Americans still love them and with this horrid-looking SUV, will be able to double volume with a couple of years. They may have raped the memory of old WO six ways till Tuesday, then thrown the remains in a philosophical Blendtec and hit frappé, but there is a demand and people buy them. It is obviously more downmarket than Rolls-Royce, and it's a stretch from a Bentley to an SUV, but for better or worse it was inevitable.
    thanks one and all for bringing this thread back up, I hadn't expected that....

yes it's amazing one 16 year old said a while back oh which Bentley do you have? Is it a proper one?
    I said that depends.... what do you mean by a proper one?.......

of course they think a Continental GT loved by people who kick bags of wind around a field for a living is the only car Bentley make and would probably love the Bentayga..... I did say I'm a little torn..... I don't hate it and have some like for it but they will sell.....

so no proper one for us.... we will be keeping the fake 95 Turbo and 54 R type James Young though it might not impress teens!!

I took the step of removing the 54 from the workshop from it's bare metal respray as they let us down and cannot finish it (7 months has become 15)

....went on an amazing covered transporter with ramp on board that can double deck 2 ,two ton Bentley's if needed ... and has done...
    it's in storage till going to new garage to complete the work by October....this year this time ....

Master
    Sure, but this would increase the likelihood of Bentley making less money and being less able to sell their other cars around the planet, thus generating less income and need for jobs in the premium manufacturing sector. If you want that, isn't it kind of... weird?
    So do you think, for example, Rolex should do a plastic multi functional watch or a dayglo or a smart watch?

Do you reckon not producing any of the above impacts on their 'being less able to sell their other watches around the planet'?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    thanks one and all for bringing this thread back up, I hadn't expected that....

yes it's amazing one 16 year old said a while back oh which Bentley do you have? Is it a proper one?
    I said that depends.... what do you mean by a proper one?.......

of course they think a Continental GT loved by people who kick bags of wind around a field for a living is the only car Bentley make and would probably love the Bentayga..... I did say I'm a little torn..... I don't hate it and have some like for it but they will sell.....

so no proper one for us.... we will be keeping the fake 95 Turbo and 54 R type James Young though it might not impress teens!!

I took the step of removing the 54 from the workshop from it's bare metal respray as they let us down and cannot finish it (7 months has become 15)

....went on an amazing covered transporter with ramp on board that can double deck 2 ,two ton Bentley's if needed ... and has done...
    it's in storage till going to new garage to complete the work by October....this year this time ....
    Looking forward to seeing pictures of this. Do you have any of the car in its current state?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    So do you think, for example, Rolex should do a plastic multi functional watch or a dayglo or a smart watch?

Do you reckon not producing any of the above impacts on their 'being less able to sell their other watches around the planet'?
    I have no idea. Is there a demand for plastic multi-functional Rolexes? Probably not.

There is a huge demand for luxury SUVs, you can see that. Bentley not producing one means less volume, less profit. I think they're fairly horrible, but they are inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I don't get the SUV thing at all, and I certainly can't see the appeal of the expensive ones like this. It looks crap to me and it seriously compromises the brand IMO. Same comments apply to the Jaguar van thing, the BMW X5 and that ugly Porsche thing. Why do people buy these things? The aesthetic appeal is zero, they're all pig ugly to a greater or lesser extent.
    In a generation or two, the buyers of these things will be embarrassed to admit to their grandchildren that they blithely chose to drive such environmentally injurious monstrosities.

I understand that the most pollution is created during the manufacturing phase of a new cars life. As a much higher proportion of Bentleys and Rolls stay on the road far longer than a normal car before being scrapped and the fact that they use state of the art emission control and generally do low mileage, I suspect they are rather less polluting than average.

I have driven the Bentaga. It has an amazing ride, build quality and finish are equal to the Bentley saloons however I agree with most here that its ugly, certainly from the front.
    Last edited by london lad; 20th April 2016 at 09:12.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post
    I understand that the most pollution is created during the manufacturing phase of a new cars life. As a much higher proportion of Bentleys and Rolls stay on the road far longer than a normal car before being scrapped and the fact that they use state of the art emission control and generally do low mileage, I suspect they are rather less polluting than average.
    Also a strong argument for an old car vs newly made.

I have driven the Bentaga. It has an amazing ride, build quality and finish are equal to the Bentley saloons however I agree with most here that its ugly, certainly from the front.
    and furthermore lies beauty in the eye of the beholder.

The issue is not the Bently; de durability nor how it looks.
    The 'problem' is imo the concept; a needlessly larger, higher cog, less safe model of car.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    In a generation or two, the buyers of these things will be embarrassed to admit to their grandchildren that they blithely chose to drive such environmentally injurious monstrosities.
    That may well be the case but Bentley needs to be in business today... I am a bit surprised Bentley didn't see fit to harness some of VW's cheats eco technology and make it super hybrid etc. But RAVs couldn't give a rat's arse about any of that, so it would just cost them money.

That may well be the case but Bentley needs to be in business today... I am a bit surprised Bentley didn't see fit to harness some of VW's cheats eco technology and make it super hybrid etc. But RAVs couldn't give a rat's arse about any of that, so it would just cost them money.

A hybrid Bentaga is coming as is a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post
    A hybrid Bentaga is coming as is a diesel.
    Yep, it's going to be a petrol-cyclist hybrid. It can even refill with cyclists on the move in urban areas.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Yep, it's going to be a petrol-cyclist hybrid. It can even refill with cyclists on the move in urban areas.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Looking forward to seeing pictures of this. Do you have any of the car in its current state?
    Thanks .. This is as purchased ...

This is now...

Interior wood has been renovated as has the chrome...

And what it will look like (slightly different as will be lighter met grey with black top)

Last edited by lordloz; 20th April 2016 at 18:07.

'Shudder'

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    Bentley SUV road test think it's the first one out of the blocks....

Worryingly I'm warming to it and couldn't bear it when released ....the gold colour perhaps didn't help of course and neither does this red but in a dark metallic.....hmmmmm.....

Think I need help...

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/b...to/first-drive

Was invited to Bentley Hampshire the other week and think may have been for this launch , didn't look any further as couldn't make it.......

It's a dilemma I won't have as not in that bracket so will stick with the Turbo and the R Type I think...

Watches to go with the cars. Poor quality pics, though:

http://www.sytner.co.uk/bentley/news...ition-watches/

EDIT- BINGO!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...s-Angeles.html
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 22nd April 2016 at 12:08.