closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First pen knife/ multi tool for 11 year old

Journeyman

First pen knife/ multi tool for 11 year old

My son, who will be 12 in february has asked for a penknife for Christmas. My initial reaction was that it was a bad idea. Ive had a full size leatherman wave for 12 years which i love but i wouldnt let him take it out on his own. However, having thought about it i think i got my first penknife at 12 so i might considder getting him one more suited to his age. We do a lot of camping and walking so it would mostly be used for sawing and sharpening sticks.
    It would Preferably have a blade length of 2.5 inches or less and a saw blade included. Any recommendations would be great.

I just bought a couple of SAKs as gifts (small ones) and two strokes of sandpaper takes the edge off the blade so that could be an alternative to a purpose designed "safe" knife.

Another vote for Swiss Army Knives here. Not seen a Kinder version before but seems sensible for a 12 year old. But to be fair I probably had a proper SAK by age 12 if I can remember that far back.

Journeyman
    If all you are looking for is a simple, legal, pocket knife I'd suggest an SOG Slipzilla.

Graham

yup, had various pocket knives used for fishing etc by age 11 - still got all me digits.

dont take the edge off - a blunt blade is more dangerous than a sharp one - teach the sprog to use it properly, let the blade do the work and keep it clean and sharp.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-F...rst+victorinox

Certainly recommend a Swiss army knife. Still use regularly the one my dad bought me 28 years ago. Just get a regular one that he'll cherish rather than the pc silly butter knife DofE type.

Dont take the edge off
    Too dangerous that way

Master
    Got to be a Swiss Army Knife !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I bought one last time I was traveling through Zurich and I've put it away until my son is old enough to start to learn to use one.

If you want the saw and all, Victorinox. A Farmer will be ideal and perfectly legal in accordance with the law (read up, this means it is never legal in a place like a pub or football match). If you want just the knife, look at Heinnie's for a Sodbuster. Good, reliable knife with steel thats easy enough to sharpen.

Maybe spend another tenner and get him a Fallkniven DC4 so he can learn how to sharpen too. A sharp kniife is a safe knife, and Youtube is an excellent resource.

Master
    Swiss Army knife, can't go wrong.

Spend some time teaching him how to use it, how to open/close in a safe manner.

Did just this with my daughter, she keeps it but asks when we go for walks if she can take it, which is fine.

We also got her this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Whitt...ords=whittling

she's made a few things from it in the summer. Helps them learn some blade control.

Journeyman
    I'd agree with Dice Heinnie Haynes is a good place to buy no matter what brand you look at, seem to be keenly prices and great service

http://www.heinnie.com/sog-slipzilla

It's worth a look

Graham

Craftsman
    I'd also recommend Heinnie Haynes, used them many times and always received great service. One of my favorite all time tool knives is the Spyderco UKPK http://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-ukpk...eaf-flat-grind. Amazing quality and carry legal (obviously using common sense) although razor sharp out of the box.

For an 11 year old I would definitely recommend a Swiss Army Knife, don't think there is much to choose between Victorinox or Wenger. I would look for one that is tailored toward his or her interests such as fishing or camping.

Master
    Victorinox SAK.

No contest imo. Hand that to a 12 year old and watch the amazement at opening so much from so little.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    If you want the saw and all, Victorinox. A Farmer will be ideal and perfectly legal in accordance with the law (read up, this means it is never legal in a place like a pub or football match). If you want just the knife, look at Heinnie's for a Sodbuster. Good, reliable knife with steel thats easy enough to sharpen.

Maybe spend another tenner and get him a Fallkniven DC4 so he can learn how to sharpen too. A sharp kniife is a safe knife, and Youtube is an excellent resource.
    Another voter for the SAK Farmer as it meets the OP's spec and will live up to what his son thinks of as a proper knife. It's reasonably priced too.

If you want to get away from a pointed blade (better for whittling, I'm told), the best I can come up with is the Arthur Wright Sheepsfoot at Heinnei: link. If he really needs a saw, might it not be best to go for something like a Gerber Sliding Saw: link? Any saw that's combined with a 3" knife blade will be too short (IMO) to do much work. But if that's the way you want to go, have a look at the Spyderco Clipitool Serrated: link. The drawback is that it's all steel, so no grippy handle. But I do like Spyderco's offerings.

Blog Entries
    The Ranger (or very similar model) was my first SAK which I got at about 11. An excellent and very handy penknife. Still have all my fingers, not stabbed anyone.

Definitely a suitable present for an 11 year old onwards, or so.

As others have said, definitely do not dull the blade. This is counter-productive.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. Ive checked them all out and i think i agree that a swiss army knife would be best bet. Maybe farmer or probaby hiker which is cheaper but has the saw blade. I also ordered the whittling book suggested so thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by John Robbins View Post
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. Ive checked them all out and i think i agree that a swiss army knife would be best bet. Maybe farmer or probaby hiker which is cheaper but has the saw blade. I also ordered the whittling book suggested so thanks for that!
    You're not the first one to have that dilemma: Victorinox Hiker vs. Farmer.

Rather than the Hiker I'd go for the Camper...who wouldn't prefer a corkscrew to a Phillips screwdriver? (He'll grow up to need it rather than loaning it to his father.)

Master
    The my first Opinel looks like it could be an option if you want a rounded end?

http://www.opinel.com/en/pocket-kniv...y-first-opinel

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    The my first Opinel looks like it could be an option if you want a rounded end?

http://www.opinel.com/en/pocket-kniv...y-first-opinel
    They problem is as it is not folding it is not legal to carry without a very good reason and the lock on the other type makes it a fixed knife in the eyes of our very stupid laws.

To stay safe it has to be non locking and the cutting edge has to be sub 3 inches. Daft laws in my opinion but, it is the law just the same.

Graham

Master
    Don't. The world is a very different place to when we were teenagers and the law takes a VERY bad view towards a teenager carrying any knife these days.

Really not worth it.
    Last edited by Gurmot; 21st November 2015 at 13:21.

why on earth would you want to give an edged weapon to an 11 yr old to carry around? , regardless of how the law would take it .

I don't think this is a big deal. I'm sure we all had Swiss Army knives when we were boys, or even girls, in some cases. Look what well-adjusted people we've grown up to be.

So long as the knife is UK carry legal, and you can see all the knives in that category on Heinnie Haynes, then it's perfectly fine. Kids need to learn how to safely use knives and tools, and their parents are best placed to teach them, as soon as they judge them old enough and sensible enough to learn.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    why on earth would you want to give an edged weapon to an 11 yr old to carry around? , regardless of how the law would take it .
    It's not a weapon, its a tool.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    Unless the police think differently. Seriously, it's just not worth it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Unless the police think differently. Seriously, it's just not worth it.
    It's only a weapon when someone starts using it as one.

Using a penknife whilst camping or on country walks, hardly the same as waving it at people while playing mall ninja is it?
    Last edited by jmitch; 21st November 2015 at 00:43.

Journeyman
    Possibly because it would teach them to use it properly and responsibly. I've bought more than one knife for my son and I don't see why I shouldn't as long as he is responsible and remains within the law. Just so I don't show any bias between my son or daughter, I've purchased a knife for her as well.

Your use of the word "weapon" rather than tool is interesting though, do you go to the shop to buy a carving weapon, a paring weapon, a filleting weapon, a pruning weapon?

Graham

Master
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by jmitch; 21st November 2015 at 16:05.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post

Your use of the word "weapon" rather than tool is interesting though, do you go to the shop to buy a carving weapon, a paring weapon, a filleting weapon, a pruning weapon?

Graham
    Totally agree. I find it very strange how some people cannot separate knives from weapons in their minds.

Master
    Op, if you want some specific insight, feel free to pm me.
    Last edited by Gurmot; 21st November 2015 at 13:30.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    That's what I thought. However, the police took a different view with a penknife which was concealed in the side pocket of a ruck sack. Believe me, it just is not worth it.

Op, if you want some specific insight, feel free to pm me.
    I've carried a knife for many many years, right now I have a Boker non locking sub 3" knife clipped to my pocket. For the past 5 days I've walked round London (arrived Saturday) with it clearly visible in my pocket. Never been stopped because of it, never been asked about it so no issue with it at all.

I find it strange that the Police would deem it fit to stop a child with a rucksack and then search through it and find a perfectly legal knife tucked away safely inside that rucksack and charge the child with any offence.

Can I ask, you said your child had to go to court, what was he charged with and what was the outcome?

Graham

Master
    I would rather not discuss the specifics on an open forum, I hope you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    I've carried a knife for many many years, right now I have a Boker non locking sub 3" knife clipped to my pocket. For the past 5 days I've walked round London (arrived Saturday) with it clearly visible in my pocket. Never been stopped because of it, never been asked about it so no issue with it at all.

I find it strange that the Police would deem it fit to stop a child with a rucksack and then search through it and find a perfectly legal knife tucked away safely inside that rucksack and charge the child with any offence.

Can I ask, you said your child had to go to court, what was he charged with and what was the outcome?

Graham

I use my victorinox Swiss champ all the time at home, don't carry it around, I have a leather man in the car as a tool, but I am forever saying go get my Swiss Army knife son, we need to change the batteries, go get my Swiss Army knife, we need the pliers, go get my Swiss Army knife, it has a nail file, go get my Swiss Army knife, it has tweezers

He sees it as a tool, which is what we use it for, if I was to get him something then it maybe one of the little leather man key chain tools or something like that, but I still wouldn't want him to take it to school or anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    a cutthroat razor is a tool
    a gun is a tool

etc etc

im not debating whether things can be classed as a tool by an adult , im debating giving such a tool to an 11yr old child , though its not my call (it not my child) - just just my opinion.

im not debating whether things can be classed as a tool by an adult , im debating giving such a tool to an 11yr old child , though its not my call (it not my child) - just just my opinion.
    At what age do you think a typical child is responsible enough to be introduced to cutlery?

I'm struggling to think of any reason why an 11 year old would ever need to carry a knife. I can understand letting them have one at home as a grown up toy, but it shouldn't leave the house.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I'm struggling to think of any reason why an 11 year old would ever need to carry a knife. I can understand letting them have one at home as a grown up toy, but it shouldn't leave the house.
    This was my first thought but I can't see where the op says his son will be actually carrying it. If it's for camping or using at home I don't see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    At what age do you think a typical child is responsible enough to be introduced to cutlery?
    most people eat with a normal knife and fork and the children are not allowed to carry them around outdoors , however you are well within your rights to let your children eat at the table with a penknife if that is your thing.

as far as im aware we are talking about an 11yr old here - not 15/16 , last time i looked were not not in the grip of a nuclear apocalypse either so i don't think there's any need for anyone to carry a knife around with them.
    Last edited by pugster; 21st November 2015 at 13:15.

most people eat with a normal knife and fork and the children are not allowed to carry them around outdoors , however you are well within your rights to let your children eat at the table with a penknife if that is your thing.

as far as im aware we are talking about an 11yr old here - not 15/16 , last time i looked were not not in the grip of a nuclear apocalypse either so i don't think there's any need for anyone to carry a knife around with them.
    Where does the op say that he's going to allow his child to go around with it on his person? He clearly states it's for camping and walking which I'm assuming he ll be doing with his son.

Journeyman
    Just to be clear, we live in a village surrounded by fields where he spends a lot of time. Plus we go camping a few times a year. It would be used for cutting/ sawing sticks and maybe making a bow and arrow or catapult, much the same as what i did at his age. As i said i bought him the whittling book to go with it.
    I have to admit i was a bit unsure about buying it him at first but if i show him how to use it safely and supervise him for the first few days then i should be able to trust him with it.

And therein lies the problem...perception. You think of a knife as a weapon (only needed when "in the grip of a nuclear apocalypse"), whereas I, and others, think of it as a tool, useful for cutting things...NB my use of things does not include people.

You say "i don't think there's any need for anyone to carry a knife around with them." My father carried his penknife to work as a company secretary every day of his working life. When I go sailing I carry a knife in my pocket at all times as that is what I was taught. I have to admit, I've sometimes forgotten to leave it behind when asked up to the bar for a drink ashore. There is a reason for carrying knives when camping, hiking, sailing etc...you many not be able to get to one when it's needed, especially in emergencies, unless you are carrying one.

Just to be clear, we live in a village surrounded by fields where he spends a lot of time. Plus we go camping a few times a year. It would be used for cutting/ sawing sticks and maybe making a bow and arrow or catapult, much the same as what i did at his age. As i said i bought him the whittling book to go with it.
    I have to admit i was a bit unsure about buying it him at first but if i show him how to use it safely and supervise him for the first few days then i should be able to trust him with it.
    What...making a bow and arrow and a catapult! Got to be honest mate I've never ever heard of a child at that age wanting to make a bow and arrow or catapult. I think the only course of action is to lock him in his room until he gets all this silly knife stuff out of his system. He'll thank you in the end

Journeyman
    And no, i wont be letting him walk the streets with it. As soon as the trust is broken or hes does something silly it will be taken away.

And no, i wont be letting him walk the streets with it. As soon as the trust is broken or hes does something silly it will be taken away.
    I'll bet you didn't expect this when you asked a simple question...

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I'll bet you didn't expect this when you asked a simple question...
    Indeed. There's whole swathes of folk who don't get the idea of a knife as a tool for certain tasks/situations. It's really not worth bothering with, I've carried a UK legal EDC folder for decades and will continue to do so.

Banned
    Blog Entries

ANY legal knife is good

and the best is the one HE likes most.

You know your son so know whether he would prefer something retro, swiss, survival or whichever.

Legal but sharp and HIS taste would me my take on it.

My 13 y.o. has never owned a UK legal knife; only adult ones since he was.... I think 6 or 7. Lockable and sharp. His first was a hefty horseman's tool.
    He knows he can only take one off the farm when he needs it for climbing.

When I was 11 I had a Bowie knife which I wore in a belt scabbard. I bought it on a school trip - as did most of my mates. We did some stupid things with them but nobody cared because it was the 1970s.
    My brother uses it for work now, but he's always conscious that someone will take offence to it and most of the time it's locked away in his toolbox.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    i don't think there's any need for anyone to carry a knife around with them.
    We live on an eco farm and my son has been freestyle climbing since he was 8. He knows how to respectfully handle sharp tools since he could walk. That is common sense on a farm if you want your kid to grow up, to learn in freedom.

For both he sticks a knife in his pocket. One with a sharp lockable blade; as a proper and safe tool he NEEDS.

The oppressive arms paranoia sold by fear merchants to the stupid general public under the pretext of their own safety is seriously limiting my and his daily routines. We have to be constantly aware what we happen to have with us where and when.
    It is all to easy to have an axe and knives in the back of the car when going out for diner. I don't drink but getting stopped for a routine check can land you in dire straits nowadays ffs.

Journeyman
    a cutthroat razor is a tool
    a gun is a tool

etc etc

Can I ask why you think you shouldn't buy and give such a tool to an 11 year old child? My son had use of a 20 bore shotgun at that age as well. I say use off because he can't legally own one at 11 although he could have had a shotgun certificate at that age.

Graham