closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electrical stuff - new switch needed..

Electrical stuff - new switch needed..

I see there are different types of household switch about, single pole ,double pole, gangs ( sounds like an eastern European dodgy neighborhood!)
    I need to replace two in my house, same room. Here's a pic of what here at present.

What does all the pole/gang thing mean, and what should I replace them with. Also, what will be marked on a modern replacement so I know how to wire it up?

Thanks folks.

Looks like a one gang 2 way switch, when replacing it don't have copper showing as in the pic, also check the upper red cable, it may be just your pic, but it appears to have been trapped when the face plate was screwed back.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    Looks like a one gang 2 way switch, when replacing it don't have copper showing as in the pic, also check the upper red cable, it may be just your pic, but it appears to have been trapped when the face plate was screwed back.
    Nail on head.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    is this a hallway light? or as you say two in one room, are they both on/off for the same light?

I ask because it looks like it is using strappers in old colours, the other switch would have more cables if this is the case.

edit: either way, no one buys single way switches anymore, its pointless, use a two way switch, and take a photo of the cables, or mark them up were they go in the switch (common, L1, L2) this is marked on the switch,

at least the cpc is in place.

once this is done, they should work exactly as you had them before, why are you changing them?
    Last edited by soundood; 11th November 2015 at 21:51.

Craftsman
    I would seriously recommend you get an electrician in. It could prove to be safer in the long (or even short) run.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by series5 View Post
    I would seriously recommend you get an electrician in. It could prove to be safer in the long (or even short) run.
    don't be silly, this is easy done DIY and more importantly is also permitted, just make sure you isolate the circuit first, once you have done this turn the switch on and off to see if its working, if not and it previously was, then its safe,

here is a diagram explaining what I think this switch is doing, if it did not have three wires, I could assume it was just a switch live.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    don't be silly, this is easy done DIY and more importantly is also permitted, just make sure you isolate the circuit first, once you have done this turn the switch on and off to see if its working, if not and it previously was, then its safe,

here is a diagram explaining what I think this switch is doing, if it did not have three wires, I could assume it was just a switch live.

Soundood I think you need to check that diagram.
    Last edited by Graeme; 11th November 2015 at 22:17.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Soundood I think you need to check that diagram.
    why? colours?

why? colours?
    Is that how you wire a two way switch?

It's getting late, my eyes are a bit blured (just had the one beer) The diagram appears to show the alternative method of converting a one way to a two way using a three core cable, looking at the op pic that would appear to be a twin and earth used for the strappers, and a single feed or switch wire.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Is that how you wire a two way switch?
    two way switch or two switches that control a single light? for instance your landing light, that switches at the top and at the bottom of the stairs?

this is the latter, and from what limited information I have, I am assuming this room has a single light with two switches at either end of the room that can control that light.

if that is the case this is correct, using 'strappers' to switch correctly.

It's getting late, my eyes are a bit blured (just had the one beer) The diagram appears to show the alternative method of converting a one way to a two way using a three core cable, looking at the op pic that would appear to be a twin and earth used for the strappers, and a single feed or switch wire.
    correct, this is what I was trying to figure out in the OP's picture, but if he is using the twin, the earth seems to be being used as the cpc, meaning only two cables spare?

my apologies if I am getting this wrong, its been a while.
    Last edited by soundood; 11th November 2015 at 22:35.

two way switch or two switches that control a single light? for instance your landing light, that switches at the top and at the bottom of the stairs?
    Two way switch is two switches that control one light, eg landing light.

It looks to me the switch in the photo is one half of a two way switch. The other switch will look similar when you take it off.
    The com on one switch is either the live or the switched feed to the light, and visa versa with the other switch. L1 and L2 on both are strappers. for example L1 on one switch connects to L1 on the other switch and L2 connects to L2.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Two way switch is two switches that control one light, eg landing light.

It looks to me the switch in the photo is one half of a two way switch. The other switch will look similar when you take it off.
    The com on one switch is either the live or the switched feed to the light, and visa versa with the other switch. L1 and L2 on both are strappers. for example L1 on one switch connects to L1 on the other switch and L2 connects to L2.
    yes, this is exactly what I thought, laymen's terms was for the OP's benefit, ie: two way switch

yes, this is exactly what I thought, laymen's terms was for the OP's benefit, ie: two way switch
    I was looking at your diagram and I can see now what you are doing, I've never seen it wired like that but I think it would work. It is late :-D

yes, it is late, and so... it is indeed one central light in one room controlled by two switches. Am changing them because they are a flip pad type, and one pad has broken off. V old type, nothing similar, and I want both to look same in this room.
    Wiring in other switch is identical in every way to one in pic.
    Appreciate diagrams but looking a bit complicated right now (scratches head)

Craftsman
    Don't be silly - ummh .... - the OP will feel a right numpty when the fire brigade asks him how his house burned down or when the paramedic tries to work out how he had a heart attack.

Blow up a couple of silicon chips fed by a battery and the only thing that hurts is the hole in your wallet. Mains electricity, left in the hands of people who do not understand it is a lethal combination and really is best left to people who really understand what they are doing. A fuse board or an RCD wont always save you. I got the feeling from the OP that this knowledge and confidence was lacking. This really is a better time to call in somebody who knows what they are doing and can do it safely.

House wiring isn't difficult provided you know what you are doing (having spent 30 years in electronics, I understand it perfectly well enough) - if in doubt though, get an expert in.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    yes, it is late, and so... it is indeed one central light in one room controlled by two switches. Am changing them because they are a flip pad type, and one pad has broken off. V old type, nothing similar, and I want both to look same in this room.
    Wiring in other switch is identical in every way to one in pic.
    Appreciate diagrams but looking a bit complicated right now (scratches head)
    Both new and old switches have 3 connections, Com, L1 and L2.
    All you have to do is take the wire out of Com on old switch and put it in Com on new switch, then do the same for the L1s and the L2s.
    This way you should not have any problems.

So, here we go. All seems good, here's how I connected it up, I added an extra spur from the earth to the back plate just in case.

Does it Look OK?

I'm always doing some damage it yourself about the house. However I never take even little wiring jobs for granted, and the advice was great, thank you all.

How do you know its safe? What if he has got a reversed polarity in his installation? Isolate the circuit, don't bother checking and bang. Assumption is the mother and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    So, here we go. All seems good, here's how I connected it up, I added an extra spur from the earth to the back plate just in case.

Does it Look OK?

I'm always doing some damage it yourself about the house. However I never take even little wiring jobs for granted, and the advice was great, thank you all.
    Not good practice sir, to get picky probably contravenes the 17th Edition wiring regs, using a red cable as a cpc even if you fully oversleaved it, if you have any twin and earth cable bare it back and remove a section of the cpc (earth) use this and then use your Earth sleaving to fully cover it.
    Last edited by geran; 12th November 2015 at 19:14.

As long as its not dangerous that's how its staying.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not good practice sir, to get picky probably contravenes the 17th Edition wiring regs, using a red cable as a cpc even if you fully oversleaved it, if you have any twin and earth cable bare it back and remove a section of the cpc (earth) use this and then use your Earth sleaving to fully cover it.
    edit: just looked again and you are of course correct, 1mm copper sleeved will have to be used, although it is redundant at the screws to the switch are connecting the cpc to the plate.

but good on you for having a go, as long as the power is off, this is an easy job and you just saved yourself maybe £100
    Last edited by soundood; 12th November 2015 at 20:30.

Today, we are using the kaboom test............

(Most electricians do)

I'm sure the wiring in our house contravenes said regs but dosen't mean it isn't safe.

Benn here nearly 20 years and not electrocuted yet.

Well, as I'm obviously not dead and nothings caught fire so far so good. I did have a proper sparky check all the electrics when I initially moved in a few years ago so imfairly sure of the major integrity. I have done such small wiring tasks in the past, and I feel safe in saying I m capable of doing such. ( I'm not a politician after all)
    Us blue collar types can manage to be adaptable.
    Stlll its always helpful to get an opinion from some folk here who are experienced in such fields.
    Its the tz way, after all

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I'm sure the wiring in our house contravenes said regs but dosen't mean it isn't safe.

Electrical safety has to be proven by test, in acordence with the current and previous regs, a domestic property should be subjected to a periodic test every 10yrs, as the regs are not mandatory a periodic test is seldom carried out, the regs are not retrospective, this has to be taken into account when any additions/alterations are made to a existing installation, these must be done to meet the current wiring regulation. Just because a electrical installation may contravene the current regs by no means makes said installation safe, the condition of a electrical installation needs to be inspected and tested to prove it's safety.

Electrical safety has to be proven by test, in acordence with the current and previous regs, a domestic property should be subjected to a periodic test every 10yrs, as the regs are not mandatory a periodic test is seldom carried out, the regs are not retrospective, this has to be taken into account when any additions/alterations are made to a existing installation, these must be done to meet the current wiring regulation. Just because a electrical installation may contravene the current regs by no means makes said installation safe, the condition of a electrical installation needs to be inspected and tested to prove it's safety.
    Did you mean to say this?

Personally I think these regs are counter-productive and I'd prefer to do something myself rather than pay someone to do some work who will presumably deem a periodic test necessary resulting in the job possibly escalating at vast expense.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Did you mean to say this?

Personally I think these regs are counter-productive and I'd prefer to do something myself rather than pay someone to do some work who will presumably deem a periodic test necessary resulting in the job possibly escalating at vast expense.
    the reason for the testing, and increased costs, is because the sparky is trying to make (and required by law) you and your family safe, trust me most sparks don't need your money, they have tonnes of work, it is the opposite, they don't want to open a can of worms they need to fix.

hence why they have a proper look around before any decision is made, and if you get a few sparkys walking away from your small job, time to roll out the big bucks for a full re-wire.

Craftsman
    the reason for the testing, and increased costs, is because the sparky is trying to make (and required by law) you and your family safe, trust me most sparks don't need your money, they have tonnes of work, it is the opposite, they don't want to open a can of worms they need to fix.

hence why they have a proper look around before any decision is made, and if you get a few sparkys walking away from your small job, time to roll out the big bucks for a full re-wire.
    While not in the electrical business but, in the home improvement business all the same, I fully agree with the last poster. Anybody who is good at what they do is in great demand and doesn't need to pick up small jobs ripping off customers (us included). The general public would be horrified at the amount of red tape, health and safety, public liability, employee liability and a whole host of other legislative dross limited companies and sole traders need to go through. None of us can afford to do anything which may result in legal action against us at some future point. Yes, we want to make a healthy living and yes we want to be successful but we cannot do this with prohibitively expensive liability insurance through claims against us or from inside a prison cell.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by series5 View Post
    While not in the electrical business but, in the home improvement business all the same, I fully agree with the last poster. Anybody who is good at what they do is in great demand and doesn't need to pick up small jobs ripping off customers (us included). The general public would be horrified at the amount of red tape, health and safety, public liability, employee liability and a whole host of other legislative dross limited companies and sole traders need to go through. None of us can afford to do anything which may result in legal action against us at some future point. Yes, we want to make a healthy living and yes we want to be successful but we cannot do this with prohibitively expensive liability insurance through claims against us or from inside a prison cell.
    100%, for example say a sparky goes into your house and fits a few new sockets to accommodate your TV set up, the ring/radial circuit will need to be tested to see if it can take it, if a sparky sees that upstairs is DIY nightmare of added loft without regs, he wont touch it,

reason is, once he adds to that circuit he must test the overall system, if that in turn is not safe, he can become liable for someone elses crap work, and ultimately fined or imprisoned, Landlords are the worst for this, looking for a 5 year periodic inspection cert, hoping you will turn a blind eye to the death trap they have created.

and once its signed off who is liable? ohh no not the landlord, he can walk away skipping if a family is killed, the spark is to blame.

Did you mean to say.
    Yes, you say "I'm sure the wiring in our house contravenes said regs but dosen't mean it isn't safe." my wording may not have been the best, regardless of age, or what edition of the regs it was wired to, how safe your current installation is, especially if additions or alterations have been made, would need to be tested to prove its safe working condition.
    I'm all for folk doing there own elec repairs, as long as they are confident to do the work, and it is done safely.