closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Here we go again

Apprentice

Here we go again

I have been lurking on this forum for some time and, in passing, have picked up a Speedbird from a genial vendor in France. I have understood, from my eavesdropping, that maybe the Speedbird, just maybe, bears a passing resemblance to an IWC Mark XV. SOoooo, when in London recently, I go along to a hardy retailer in Knightsbridge and say "do you sell IWC watches"? Grunt to the right found the IWC cabinet. "Can I see that one", huh, "no, that one". Thanks. Inspect it, very nice, leather strap, deployant buckle, yes, fits well. "How many jewels"? eh, what did you say, "I said is it 17 jewels", yeah, that's right. How much? "Two thousand and seventy five pounds, sir". I closed my eyes, drew back the curtain.......Eddie, there must be some mistake.

Well, there's certainly a mistake....

if he said that the Mk XV had 17 jewels but the price? Nah, they charge what they want down in the smoke. Maybe it was really the ultra-rare 17 jewel version? :wink:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Apprentice
    I was listening hard and he said 17 jewels and two grand. Harvey Nichols if ya don't mind. OK, I was looking for a handbag for my wife and one department lead to another. Eddie, are you the only honest man in the business? My Speedbird, he say yes...

I received a rather peculiar e-mail....

about 3 months after the Speedbird was launched. The author said I was doing nobody any favours by introducing the Speedbird because the price would make some people question the value of some of their watches and I should be ashamed for shattering their illusions.

It's a funny old world.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".