closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First attempt at buying myself a printer

First attempt at buying myself a printer

I've a printer which is doing my head in....no I'll spare you the details, it'll only be boring. I'm ploughing through Amazon's offerings trying to find the right printer for me, but I've never bought one for myself before so I'm really clueless.

I never want to print in colour, and I recall finding a flatmate's HP reliable, so I've found on Amazon a black and white HP P1102W laser printer, going for £78 (link)

I only want to print out documents for home use - usually drafts of texts that I scrawl over with a red pen before editing. Is this HP laser printer unnecessarily well-specced for such a lowly purpose? Or is anything cheaper just asking for trouble?

If I'm sounding unwontedly clueless, sorry....

Laser cartridges last for ages. my old HP laser printer the cartridge outlived the printer. If anything cheaper isn't laser will cost you more in the long run.

I've got a HP Laserjet work were throwing out and cost me £20.

I have had to put a new cartridge in it since I got it 3 years ago, but that only cost me £12!

The inkjet hardly ever gets used anymore...

M.

Golden rule of Printers, this is all you need to know and make sure you buy HP

Inkjet = Bad
    Laserjet = Good

Try ebuyer.com. Got our Laserjet there for about £50...toner on the other hand is pricier the the printer!

I had a HP1200 laser printer for over a decade, during that time it was used daily throughout and I think it only ever had one replacement cartridge.

If you have no need for printing colour then you’ll save a lot of money in running costs.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Another vote for Laserjet, have a look at Printerland they have some of the best prices and a fairly easy to use configurator.
    The Samsung is a good product, reliable and comes with 3k toner which should last you a very long time based on your print frequency.
    http://www.printerland.co.uk/Samsung...D-P133417.aspx
    Last edited by zak; 4th November 2015 at 17:36.

These guys are good for HP Printers at low prices as well.

www.dabs.com

I think Printerland are one of the companies available via Amazon for the model I linked to. Not quite the cheapest, but when I check out the online reputation of the cheapestcompany.....no way!

Thanks for the nice clear consensus message :) I've been in touch with my ex housemate and discovered that that model is indeed the exact one she had, and that two more years later it is still working without any problem.

Got round to buying it a couple of days ago, Amazon just delivered it. Having rooted around on their website (multiple listings of identical products grr) I found that they themselves did it for even less - was only £60, with free delivery obvs. After the struggles with the jet printer, having a 24 page document thrown at me in seconds is lovely. All sorted :)

Journeyman
    Hp are decent quality. they also sell direct. I bought a a 3 in one from them as cheap as I could find elsewhere and got a good deal on a spare laser ink cartridge. That was three years ago and I am still on the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I've a printer which is doing my head in....no I'll spare you the details, it'll only be boring. I'm ploughing through Amazon's offerings trying to find the right printer for me, but I've never bought one for myself before so I'm really clueless.

I never want to print in colour, and I recall finding a flatmate's HP reliable, so I've found on Amazon a black and white HP P1102W laser printer, going for £78 (link)

I only want to print out documents for home use - usually drafts of texts that I scrawl over with a red pen before editing. Is this HP laser printer unnecessarily well-specced for such a lowly purpose? Or is anything cheaper just asking for trouble?

If I'm sounding unwontedly clueless, sorry....
    HP laser for £78; buy it now! For your use I'm sure you'll not be disappointed and the cartridge'll last you ages.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    HP laser for £78; buy it now! For your use I'm sure you'll not be disappointed and the cartridge'll last you ages.
    Got it for £60

Ryman's, meanwhile, wanted £120. Um, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Got it for £60

Ryman's, meanwhile, wanted £120. Um, no.
    That's a big win!

Recently bought a Brother laser printer from Amazon. £48 delivered and it's great. I'll check the model and update soon.

Banned
    HP are good bfyb and will last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    HP are good bfyb and will last a long time.
    Blimey you must be finding this lockdown hard going. Have you tried teaching yourself how to juggle your kitchen knives?