closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A week on the wrist with the Tudor Heritage Black Bay (Black 7922n)

Master

A week on the wrist with the Tudor Heritage Black Bay (Black 7922n)

A week ago I managed to pick up the new Black Bay as most of you probably know. I've worn it for the majority of the week and honestly, I can;t believe how much I like it. I knew I wanted it when I first saw it, but I didn't know how it would wear on my wrist. At 6.75", I quite often struggle to pull off watches with elongated lugs; it's one of the reasons I don't go for the current Omega line-up which is a shame.

I've created a video (currently uploading)...

https://youtu.be/0I6aqISf-T4

...but to summarise, here are some thoughts:

Dial:

This is probably my favourite part of the watch! It has an incredible texture to it. Very subtle, but it's easily visible to the naked eye and really adds depth to the watch. It's not something I expected but it works so well.

The gilt text is the icing on the cake in regards to the dial as well. So nice to see this on a modern watch.

Strap options:

As you can see, I'm currently wearing the watch on this cheap "Bond" NATO. I was a bit sceptical of how it would look, but it's actually "made" the watch for me somehow. The bracelet is very nice, but I feel the watch needed a strap to make it really stand out. It looks more purposeful, to me at least.

Thickness:

"Slab-sided" has been banded around regarding the black bay, but it's not. In reality, it's a pretty normal height, but the case sides drop right down to the wrist and therefore create the illusion of a thicker case. In reality, it's no thicker than a Submariner but there's no case back to lift the watch of the wrist in the case of the BBB.

Time-keeping:

It's running at just under +1 second per day. How rubbish is that?! Forget these ETA movements, and let's go in-house ;-) (That was in jest... I'm amazed how accurate this watch is and I have no issue with the modified ETA whatsoever).

Lume:

Very powerful at first, dropping off within a short period to a constant brightness that lasts way into the night.

Other features I like:

- The clarity of the crystal; It's possibly the best modern domed sapphire crystal I've ever seen and it just lets you peer through to the lovely dial in any lighting scenario.
    - The large crown is fantastic for setting the time and looks great
    - The quality really is there for its price point. It's not comparable too much to Rolex, but it's superb nonetheless
    - The bezel has a stopping point at 12 which allows you to easily get it back to the 12 marker; great for OCD!! :-D
    - Did I mention the gilt dial?

In conclusion, this is a superb watch. Its price-point is much more acceptable for what you get. You pay half the price of most of its rivals, but get double the watch IMO.

Great review, thank you for taking the time. The Black and white side on shot is a stunning photo!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Great review, thank you for taking the time. The Black and white side on shot is a stunning photo!!
    +1 and congrats!

I am not sure whether to thank you for the fine review and photos or curse you for pushing me over the edge of spending $3000 on a watch I want but really don't need...

Lovely pics, I have tried to bond with one of these soooo many times but sadly it ain't happening, can't really put my finger on it tbh, that said I was passing frazer hart in Milton Keynes the other day and It was nice to see a Tudor concession in a shopping centre. A few nice bits in the range.

Master
    Great review, I'm sure it's not just me that appreciates the time spent on a lengthy review with great photos.
    Looks like a super watch, enjoy it. There's no way I could take that bracelet off though, it looks great on, plus I'm no fan of the NATO.

Thanks
    Last edited by oiljam; 31st October 2015 at 09:32.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Great review, I'm sure it's not just me that appreciates the time spent on a lengthy review with great photos. Thanks
    In total agreement.

I'm in agreement with the OP, regarding the NATO, I think that it enhances the watches appearance.

Now, I need someone to do a review on Tudor's new North Flag :)

Great review, thanks for showing. The BB red had been my favourite, but since this has been introduced its looking like a must have.

Cheers

Lovely, Wayne - I liked the red version a lot and nearly bought one, but the black really is spot on IMO (to the extent that I may even sell my SDc and buy one). I have the same size wrist as you and have similar views about lugs (and the Omega lugs in particular). these look fine, though.

Master
    I'm wondering too if this could knock the Sub off my wrist, maybe a little easier to wear? The only issue with me is the 42mm size, I'd prefer to go smaller not larger. Think I'd go blue too, would love to see one with a black bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    I'm wondering too if this could knock the Sub off my wrist, maybe a little easier to wear? The only issue with me is the 42mm size, I'd prefer to go smaller not larger. Think I'd go blue too, would love to see one with a black bezel.
    It's 41mm, but with no crown guards wears smaller IMO. The lug to lug distance is apparently 50.25mm, so that would be the only potential issue for me (although it seems fie on the wrist).

Nice review and watch, I tried the Red and could not get on with it all!

The gilt dial of the black seems to bring some warmth as I found the Red sterile and too uncomfortable on my 7"wrist.

Did not give it a chance on a NATO though as it was back on SC within a couple of days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It's 41mm, but with no crown guards wears smaller IMO. The lug to lug distance is apparently 50.25mm, so that would be the only potential issue for me (although it seems fie on the wrist).
    You are correct. I need to try one on again

Your post is pretty similar to my thoughts when i got the blue one earlier in the year. This black one will join it at some point.

Great review, looking forward to watching your video when I get the chance.

Excellent review, have always fancied a black bay but this is definitely the one I'll be looking out for in due course. Haven't been sure about the domed crystal but it looks spot on in your photos.

Journeyman
    Great review and that strap really sets it off.

I had my red one delivered this morning and I'm itching to wear it but I'm going to wait for my vintage leather Nato / Zulu from Yellow Dog.

Master
    Great review Wayne, really enjoyed watching the video. Thank you. I went to my local Tudor AD in Kingston yesterday to see if they had one stock unfortunately not. But this has helped me make my decision as to which version I want. Cheers Nas

Quote Originally Posted by sco77w View Post
    Great review and that strap really sets it off.

I had my red one delivered this morning and I'm itching to wear it but I'm going to wait for my vintage leather Nato / Zulu from Yellow Dog.
    Please post a pic of this combo when your sorted. I've been thinking of a yellow dog.

Thanks

Brilliant, thanks Wayne. That's the first Black Bay that I've really been tempted by. Superb pics.

Blog Entries
    Great review - and thank yo for taking so much time to make the video review - your photos are superb! I may need to take a look

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
    Please post a pic of this combo when your sorted. I've been thinking of a yellow dog.

Thanks
    Will do

Craftsman
    Nice review, thanks.
    I loved this as soon as I saw it and the pics really show it well.
    I see it much more as a dress diver and think it looks particularly delicate compared to a Sub. I think I would be scared to wear it as a daily.
    I've yet to see one in the flesh though.

Great review. I've always thought at some point I'd get a 14060 but this black bay is the only watch that's got me questioning that decision. For similar money it does seem the black bay has it trumped in every area.

Master
    Looks good on the NATO Wayne. I've been wearing mine on the fabric strap since I got mine. Today though I tried it on a Hirsch Mobile for a more dressy look.

Master
    Thanks for the replies and kind comments. The reviews took several hours to create so I'm glad they were of use :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Nice review, thanks.
    I see it much more as a dress diver and think it looks particularly delicate compared to a Sub. I think I would be scared to wear it as a daily.
    Totally opposite. It's a very wearable watch; not delicate in the slightest :-)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Nice review, thanks.
    It's made of the same steel as most other steel watches, has the same sort of size as a Sub, same finishing details (chamfers, brushed bracelet). The heavier case might not count in its favour, nor the slightly longer lugs, but it's only 0.2mm thicker overall despite appearances.

However the fine coin-edge bezel is more prone to showing dings, and the edge of it likely isn't as robust as the thicker bevelling of the Sub, and there are no crown guards.
    That would be a fine idea ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Very nice looking watch.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Lovely watch.

I have enjoyed your videos thus far.

scooter

Super watch and great review.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely thing, I agree they look fantastic on a NATO, the OEM fabric looks fantastic.

Many thanks for taking the time to do this. Very informative ,and a lovely watch.

That's just beautiful. Top of my 2016 wish list for sure.

W44NNE much better in regards of overexposure. Plus a great video of BBB. Thumbs Up!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Thanks for the replies and kind comments. The reviews took several hours to create so I'm glad they were of use :-)

Totally opposite. It's a very wearable watch; not delicate in the slightest :-)
    Good to know. My son has his 21st next year and he likes these.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Of the 3 Black Bays, this is the only one that appeals. I think the hands look OK with circular hour markers, the purists can get the Pelagos.

One thing I wonder, when the crown is screwed in, is it flush to the case? It looks like you can see some colour between the crown and the case, and think that would bother me.

To the poster saying it looks delicate, bear in mind that it is only recently that Rolex went to the "Super Case". Prior to that they used a much more slender design which looked much nicer IMO - and they were known to be solid, hard wearing watches.

Lovely watch; thanks for taking the time to put together those great photos and review. Looks great on that strap too.

Great review and great photo's of what really is a great watch.

Right, enough of the greats.............Does it have more character than an SD4000? I think so.

Master
    Just the warmth of the gilt dial is really appealing to me, even over Subs.

Master
    this has got to be the best review on the black bay haha well done mate fantastic job and congrats on a cracking watch!!

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Of the 3 Black Bays, this is the only one that appeals. I think the hands look OK with circular hour markers, the purists can get the Pelagos.

One thing I wonder, when the crown is screwed in, is it flush to the case? It looks like you can see some colour between the crown and the case, and think that would bother me.

To the poster saying it looks delicate, bear in mind that it is only recently that Rolex went to the "Super Case". Prior to that they used a much more slender design which looked much nicer IMO - and they were known to be solid, hard wearing watches.
    The crown isn't flush, you can see the colour spacer

Journeyman

A week ago I managed to pick up the new Black Bay as most of you probably know. I've worn it for the majority of the week and honestly, I can;t believe how much I like it. I knew I wanted it when I first saw it, but I didn't know how it would wear on my wrist. At 6.75", I quite often struggle to pull off watches with elongated lugs; it's one of the reasons I don't go for the current Omega line-up which is a shame.

I've created a video (currently uploading)...

https://youtu.be/0I6aqISf-T4

...but to summarise, here are some thoughts:

Dial:

This is probably my favourite part of the watch! It has an incredible texture to it. Very subtle, but it's easily visible to the naked eye and really adds depth to the watch. It's not something I expected but it works so well.

The gilt text is the icing on the cake in regards to the dial as well. So nice to see this on a modern watch.

Strap options:

As you can see, I'm currently wearing the watch on this cheap "Bond" NATO. I was a bit sceptical of how it would look, but it's actually "made" the watch for me somehow. The bracelet is very nice, but I feel the watch needed a strap to make it really stand out. It looks more purposeful, to me at least.

Thickness:

"Slab-sided" has been banded around regarding the black bay, but it's not. In reality, it's a pretty normal height, but the case sides drop right down to the wrist and therefore create the illusion of a thicker case. In reality, it's no thicker than a Submariner but there's no case back to lift the watch of the wrist in the case of the BBB.

Time-keeping:

It's running at just under +1 second per day. How rubbish is that?! Forget these ETA movements, and let's go in-house ;-) (That was in jest... I'm amazed how accurate this watch is and I have no issue with the modified ETA whatsoever).

Lume:

Very powerful at first, dropping off within a short period to a constant brightness that lasts way into the night.

Other features I like:

- The clarity of the crystal; It's possibly the best modern domed sapphire crystal I've ever seen and it just lets you peer through to the lovely dial in any lighting scenario.
    - The large crown is fantastic for setting the time and looks great
    - The quality really is there for its price point. It's not comparable too much to Rolex, but it's superb nonetheless
    - The bezel has a stopping point at 12 which allows you to easily get it back to the 12 marker; great for OCD!! :-D
    - Did I mention the gilt dial?

In conclusion, this is a superb watch. Its price-point is much more acceptable for what you get. You pay half the price of most of its rivals, but get double the watch IMO.

Lovely shots those.

Saw one in the flesh today for the first time. Not sure I can resist!

Thank you for the review.
    I was holding back because I thought it looked rather chunky but with your input, I have decided to take the plunge!

Chye

Great review- thanks for posting.

Craftsman
    Has anyone tried it yet on a brown strap? I reckon it would look pretty good given the colours they have used on the dial.

Just watched your video and really enjoyed it! Thanks for doing that. Learnt a lot about the watch and I love it!

Master
    Hirsch Lucca and a leather NATO

Master
    That's awesome on leather nato.

Journeyman
    Love this shot! Quite like the watch too.

Journeyman
    Its threads like this on here that convinced me to get a Black Bay (I went for the red one). Just got a yellow dog leather nato in the post for it today too. I'll post some pics later in the week.