closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Audi A4 CabrioletTFSI S Line Special Edition 2008.

Grand Master

Audi A4 CabrioletTFSI S Line Special Edition 2008.

Seen one of these locally at a prestige garage selling all the top cars.

2008 model in superb condition,1 owner with 18k on the clock.What are your thoughts on this car please guys.I'm not a petrolhead in terms of speed and off the mark,just to say.
    Just fancy a 2+2 as we have Grandchildren,so it serves it's purpose in practical terms and looks great too.
    Read the reviews which sound good,but I'm sure some on here have or have had one,and so what better way to get a better overall opinion.

Ta..

Blog Entries
    I had this exact model new on a 58 plate in Avus silver. A lovely car and never skipped a beat in the 3 years that I owned it, one of those cars that ages well too. A true four seater convertible and plenty enough power for brisk motoring if you fancy it. All in all, a nice looking car that was a pleasure to own. There has been reports of issues with the 2.0 TFSI engines and oil consumption. I've had 3 cars with this engine, at various levels of tune, currently on my 4th with a quattro sport A5 and no problems so far.
    Just make sure the car has been well maintained - even with such low mileage as low mileage can cause problems too. Check the discs for scoring given its low mileage.

Personally I'd go for the 3 litre or 4 litre S4. The 1.8 or 2.0 is ok but can't pull skin of a rice pudding. Also needs the S suspension or it wallows as well as "roof cut off" scuttle shake.

ive had sever and loved them. To my mind much better proportioned than an A5.

however for balance, for 2x subs extra you can get a 997 cab, just saying........

Master
    I've had my 1.8T for nearly 5 years (68K m)- really love it no comment on the engine as I've no experience
    I've only has a couple of issues- coil packs, alternator pully and a roof leak.
    The roof was a simple case of a misaligned 5mm piece of rubber - I found it eventually.
    As above - they really keep their looks if you look after them - mine is an 06 in silver and still looks fantastic
    It's not garaged and I re proof the hood twice a year- I'd have another
    Some reports on the net re gear boxe problems (auto) - mines been fine - makes sure the oils been changed - it's every 45k or 5 years I think
    Last edited by lewie; 30th October 2015 at 21:25.

Grand Master
    I'm only at the very early stage of thinking about a change,and not really looking to go to anything over 2.0l.
    The one I've seen will work quite ok for what it will be required to do tbh,I know other cars are out there too,but I'd rather keep it just to this model only please.

But thanks for your other options too chaps,but it would just end up as a general discussion about every other car as another option!,which ain't the point.If I get comments about this specific model only then that will help immensely.

Ta

I had a lovely one of these earlier this year did 3000 miles across europe with no issues- and it returned about 35 mpg overall it was a 2007 2.0T (200BHP)
    Nice seats, and build quality. Sat nav quite good, just a great car for the money really. quite a nice torquey engine for its size, the later ones have what some call the acoustic roof, which is much quieter- really quite saloon-like.
    I have heard some horror stories with Audi auto gearboxes (mine was manual) and electric roofs can cause some owners grief and money via audi- lots of info on the net about this
    I got about 7300 for mine with 58k miles when I chopped it in for my 335D Mcoupe.
    Good luck looking

Only issue is that the window thingy can go
    I had both of mine done on my 07 plate tt
    Regulator I think it's called
    So factor that in in case they go
    Coil packs is the other issue but no big deal
    Sounds like a nice car that will do what you want

Warranty is important to me but if it has fsh you can buy an aftermarket one if you need the peace of mind

I have a 2007 3.0tdi manual a4 cab and I can honestly say the 20k miles I've put on it over the last two and a so bit years have been some of the best I've ever driven. Superb build quality, huge power from the 3.0tdi and fantastic 38mpg fuel return! The a4s really are engine and gearbox specific, you can get a petrol engine with tiptronic which could be a disaster yet the 3.0tdi manuals are very much sought after for their bulletproofness. I'm unfortunately selling mine as the time has come for a sensible family car but I will be sad to see it go. Haven't had a thing wrong with it in two and half years. Oh and if your going to buy one make sure it's Quattro!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Seen one of these locally at a prestige garage selling all the top cars.

2008 model in superb condition,1 owner with 18k on the clock.What are your thoughts on this car please guys.I'm not a petrolhead in terms of speed and off the mark,just to say.
    Just fancy a 2+2 as we have Grandchildren,so it serves it's purpose in practical terms and looks great too.
    Read the reviews which sound good,but I'm sure some on here have or have had one,and so what better way to get a better overall opinion.

Ta..
    Hi Paul

They are superb cars and great looking, I have an A3 as a company car and they are very well put together and the s-line is the top spec as well and with only 18k on it and one owner I would be seriously going for that and don't worry about the engine size as the one in that will certainly shift well enough, what colour is it?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I have a 2007 3.0tdi manual a4 cab and I can honestly say the 20k miles I've put on it over the last two and a so bit years have been some of the best I've ever driven. Superb build quality, huge power from the 3.0tdi and fantastic 38mpg fuel return! The a4s really are engine and gearbox specific, you can get a petrol engine with tiptronic which could be a disaster yet the 3.0tdi manuals are very much sought after for their bulletproofness. I'm unfortunately selling mine as the time has come for a sensible family car but I will be sad to see it go. Haven't had a thing wrong with it in two and half years. Oh and if your going to buy one make sure it's Quattro!!!
    Dont think the one I'm going to see is the Quattro.

Grand Master

Grand Master

Hell this database error!!.

Master
    Paul it really doesn't need to be the Quattro!!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Paul it really doesn't need to be the Quattro!!!!!
    Indeed

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9MES View Post
    The 1.8 or 2.0 is ok but can't pull skin of a rice pudding.
    Rubbish! In the real world (not the fantasy land in many petrolheads' minds) the 2.0 is plenty fast enough. I know the OP, he drives for a living, he knows what today's roads are really like.

Sure, the big-engine beasts are faster...........but the OP knows that and so do the rest of us. Bragging about the merits of the bigger engined (and more expensive) beasts is turning the thread into a cock-measuring contest.

As for S suspension, I suggest you come up to West Yorkshire and samples the local roads where the OP lives!

Keep it real.....the OP asked for helpful comments! I`d be more concerned about how the hood and hood mechanism ages than petrol-headed jibes.........soft tops/frames/mechanisms can deteriorate with age and that's what I`d be concerned about.

A friend of mine has a 2.0 diesel version ; I`ve nothing against diesels but the noise just doesn`t seem right in an open-top car. Definitely go for petrol.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 30th October 2015 at 23:06.

Grand Master
    Well by the feed back so far all sounds pretty good tbh.

Thankyou guys much appreciated,it does help greatly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Rubbish! In the real world (not the fantasy land in many petrolheads' minds) the 2.0 is plenty fast enough. I know the OP, he drives for a living, he knows what today's roads are really like.

Sure, the big-engine beasts are faster...........but the OP knows that and so do the rest of us. Bragging about the merits of the bigger engine (and more expensive) beasts is turning the thread into a cock-measuring contest.

As for S suspension, I suggest you come up to West Yorkshire and samples the local roads where the OP lives!

Keep it real.....the OP asked for helpful comments! I`d be more concerned about how the hood and hood mechanism ages than petrol-headed jibes.........soft tops/frames/mechanisms can deteriorate with age and that's what I`d be concerned about.

A friend of mine has a 2.0 diesel version ; I`ve nothing against diesels but the noise just doesn`t seem right in an open-top car. Definitely go for petrol.

Paul

Completely agree with you there Paul that 2.0 engine is a cracker and plenty fast enough.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Sure, the big-engine beasts are faster...........but the OP knows that and so do the rest of us. Bragging about the merits of the bigger engined (and more expensive) beasts is turning the thread into a cock-measuring contest.

Paul
    Thanks for your comments Paul much appreciated.Thats why I tried to nip it in the bud and ask to keep it car specific otherwise we end up comparing every other car to this loosing the initial topic.

As for big engined fast cars!,I can make a small engined car go faster than I need!,so a 2.0l would happily give me what I'd ever need.

Ok well for me the draw of my car initially was I'd always wanted a convertible and when I saw my car come up for sale I bought it not really knowing too much about the engines/transmission. After a couple of months the main draw of the car was the ENGINE and drive for me and not the soft top. The 2.0 petrols if I remember correctly don't have a bad reputation but the multitronic gearbox is pretty much universally slated as a complete and utter nightmare. If the car your looking at is a multitronic then please do your research. Google really is your best friend. Also, the 2.0tdis are a categorical no no. They have known problems that wreck the engine with no goodwill from Audi even though they are aware of a design fault to do with a oil pump/balance shaft?? Anyhow the reason I suggested a Quattro is because personally speaking I find myself pushing my car quite hard and she has awesome amounts of grip and composure, I doubt in the non Quattro version you could have half as much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Completely agree with you there Paul that 2.0 engine is a cracker and plenty fast enough.
    All I can add is that mine indicated 142mph on the autobahn outside Stuttgart in July....heres the ad I ran
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=audi
    Last edited by GOAT; 31st October 2015 at 00:34.

Master
    Re the multitronic- yes there are a lot of horror stories on the net- mine has been perfect and i think if its looked after correctly and oil changed as per the Audi spec it's fine

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Re the multitronic- yes there are a lot of horror stories on the net- mine has been perfect and i think if its looked after correctly and oil changed as per the Audi spec it's fine
    Wasn't that the issue though, Audi claimed the multitronic autobox was a sealed unit and the gearbox oil was fit for life when really it needed changing every 40k miles? Therefore the changing of the oil wasn't to Audi spec but a preventative measure designed to prolonging the autobox lifespan

Master
    Wasn't that the issue though, Audi claimed the multitronic autobox was a sealed unit and the gearbox oil was fit for life when really it needed changing every 40k miles? Therefore the changing of the oil wasn't to Audi spec but a preventative measure designed to prolonging the autobox lifespan
    im sure the manual spec states somthing like 120k but was revised down to
    40K - but we are going off topic (OOPS)

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    but we are going off topic (OOPS)
    Not if the OP is looking at a multitronic we arnt! I wish I'd known more about my Hondas ishift autobox before I bought it! The more knowledge the better !

Master
    Blog Entries
    You really do need to do your research on that 2.0 tfsi engine.... A full blown American lawsuit against VAG, a watchdog investigation in the UK and many many lunched engines along the way. My VAG independent says that engine is what keeps him in business alongside all the diesel related problems VAG units have!!
    So forget talk of multitronic ( which is woeful BTW), hoods ( which rarely cause major issues on the A4) and focus your research on that engine.
    Personally, I think the A4 cab is great and back in the day I owned an 05 1.8T S line ( solid engine, typically stuff S line suspension but it's the best spec for style!!) and very briefly a 3.0 TDI that was being retailed.... Great car with bags of power and torque... Just weird hearing that diesel clatter with the roof down!!

I had one of these a few years back. Loved the car and no complaints at all. Really funny to drive and disagree the 2.0 wasn't fast enough. Would get one at a heartbeat .

Master

Check Oil Consumption carefully.

The 2.0 TFSI engine was very prone to burning oil - this is a 'feature' of this engine. (I think it's the 220 PS version)
    It's acceptable at about 1litre 1000 miles .... which is a lot if you ask me ... see here ...

See comment from Audi:
    https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/la...june-2015.html

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=2....sm=93&ie=UTF-8

My old 2009 2.0 TFSI was OK before I sold it ... but a lot of other owners had problems with oil consumption at 1 litre 500 miles ...