closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help/advice with Crockett and Jones shoes

Help/advice with Crockett and Jones shoes

Hi all,

Probably a daft question but I recently bought a pair of Crockett and Jones Alex shoes and I've worn them a few times, polish them regularly and they look crap already, there are creases in the leather which are to be expected but they look like they have bulged. I've loake Chelsea boots similar which haven't gone this bad so wonder if I've been unlucky or if it's normal, I know they are cut from a single piece of leather but it seems strange.

Chers

Do you use shoe trees, if not buy some cedar ones?

Use shoe trees, don't wear them two days in a row and stop wearing them with jeans!

Craftsman
    A+ for using shoes trees. But it may be a bad fit across the shoe as the shoe seems to drop on the vamp area after the toe cap. If they feel a bit baggy you can try putting in an in sole.

I like C&J shoes and have a few but find the sizing a little off. I have a couple of Tetbury boots which crease like made but look ok once they are worn in. The last pair I purchased I went down half a size as I know they will stretch like made so have a better fit than the 10UK which I'm normally. Hope this helps. Oh, the other thing is leather will crease up regardless of the quality.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Use shoe trees, don't wear them two days in a row and stop wearing them with jeans!
    I have lots of boots and shoes, mainly C&J and Edward Green they always look good with jeans as well as suits and chino etc. What's the issue with jeans?

I'd never wear black shoes with jeans. (Unless I was a Michael Jackson tribute act or off duty policeman).

I have C&J shoe trees and always use them. Don't wear them 2 days in a row either. They are a good fit too, not tight and not loose.

As for not wearing them with jeans.... What a ridiculous comment

As others suggested, leather trees are a must. I'd just clean the shoes (I use anti aging facial tissues with aloe vera ), apply a proper leather balm/conditioner like Saphir or Renapur, leave them for 24 hours to dry, obviously use shoe trees to stretch leather a bit, then wax as usual. Job done.

Master
    Last edited by SeePee; 22nd October 2015 at 19:07.

Quote Originally Posted by hatman14 View Post

As for not wearing them with jeans.... What a ridiculous comment
    Of course it is if you're wearing black shoes with jeans.

Well done. That makes little sense. Nice try

Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    Cheers mate I'll give them a read later

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    As others suggested, leather trees are a must. I'd just clean the shoes (I use anti aging facial tissues with aloe vera ), apply a proper leather balm/conditioner like Saphir or Renapur, leave them for 24 hours to dry, obviously use shoe trees to stretch leather a bit, then wax as usual. Job done.
    Cheers, I did wonder what the best thing to use to clean them was with, never thought about face wipes! :)
    I've got some saphir mink oil rejuvenator on the way and some of their wax polish so will try that too!

Master
    In many cases the shoes have been stored somewhere for years before you purchase them. So they might need some work even if they are brand new. The advice to use a conditioner and then polish is a good one.

I'd also say that wearing nice black dress shoes with regular daddy-jeans is, well, not working. You need some bluchers or brogues for that and save those nice C&J's when you are wearing a suit.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    In many cases the shoes have been stored somewhere for years before you purchase them. So they might need some work even if they are brand new. The advice to use a conditioner and then polish is a good one.

I'd also say that wearing nice black dress shoes with regular daddy-jeans is, well, not working. You need some bluchers or brogues for that and save those nice C&J's when you are wearing a suit.
    Cheers for the advice, I have conditioner and polish on its way from saphir.

I generally won't be wearing the C&J shoes unless I'm doing something nice anyway, I had them on to take them into the C&J store to look at them to check all was ok, I see no problem with wearing them with jeans though I normally wear a brogue or Chelsea boot with them. I still see no issue with wearing my Alex shoes with smart jeans not "daddy-jeans" as you put it, and as long as it's not shorts or jogging bottoms or ripped jeans they look fine.

Thanks again

You owe nobody on this forum a style explanation.

Just wear them with what you like. That's what matters.

Worry not. The CJ's are good quality shoes and are acquiring character. As for wearing them with jeans, pay no attention to the advice of style 'gurus' on a watch forum. Wear what you like, when you like, with whatever else you like. If we all dressed how other people wanted us to, we'd all look like clones.

Master
    The Saphir stuff is the best, good luck!

Sorry if I was a little too blunt with my "fashion advice" - as long as you are happy with the style it's fine.

I'd never wear black shoes with jeans. (Unless I was a Michael Jackson tribute act or off duty policeman).
    ^^^ Bingo...it's like wearing a short sleeve shirt and tie...it makes me angry 😡

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Worry not. The CJ's are good quality shoes and are acquiring character. As for wearing them with jeans, pay no attention to the advice of style 'gurus' on a watch forum. Wear what you like, when you like, with whatever else you like. If we all dressed how other people wanted us to, we'd all look like clones.
    Thank you, good advice! People worry too much about how others dress, And it's usually the ones who offer style advice they usually don't do it well themselves. But you're right, it's no fun if we all like the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    The Saphir stuff is the best, good luck!

Sorry if I was a little too blunt with my "fashion advice" - as long as you are happy with the style it's fine.
    It came today so will be trying it later. I'm sure it's as good as people say!

Ha it's fine don't worry

Don't see a problem. Simon Cowell and Jeremy Clarkson both wear light stone wash with shoes.
    Last edited by smokedog; 25th October 2015 at 16:07.

^ I hope you're being ironic.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 25th October 2015 at 15:47.

^ I hope you're being ironic.
    No I'm not being ironic... I was being sarcastic ;)

But OP could be worst, at least it not boat shoes with no socks.

Craftsman
    I think you will like them. Go easy on creams to start with and try to wear them for a few days with no rain plus shoe trees. These are over a year old C&J boots worn a lot but still look good. Cheers.
    Last edited by Naesuk; 25th October 2015 at 16:58.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    ^^^ Bingo...it's like wearing a short sleeve shirt and tie...it makes me angry 😡
    Or wearing trousers with trainers.

Craftsman

Just an old tip. Polish black shoes with blue polish on top. Gives the shoe a depth and reflects the sky. Even looks good with jeans as it pulls out the colour. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post
    I think you will like them. Go easy on creams to start with and try to wear them for a few days with no rain plus shoe trees. These are over a year old C&J boots worn a lot but still look good. Cheers.
    Conistons?

Craftsman
    Correct. They are Coniston boots. Very well made and hardy but feel good on the feet. Cheers

Just handled a pair of Conistons in a shop. Wow. They feel very solid

Id buy a pair if I didn't already have far too many boots :(

Master
    Consitons are awesome. Kinda wanna resurrect this thread and ask other CNJ owners if they feel compared to other brands CNJ seem to stretch more? Or perhaps I'm buying the wrong width to start with. I tend to buy quite snug at first to take this into account but i feel CNJ suffers the most. Anyone have any experiences with this?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    that carpet looks like lots of monkey faces trying to get a selfy in.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    ^^^ Bingo...it's like wearing a short sleeve shirt and tie...it makes me angry
    Try to avoid coach drivers and security guards 🤠

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post

Just an old tip. Polish black shoes with blue polish on top. Gives the shoe a depth and reflects the sky. Even looks good with jeans as it pulls out the colour. Cheers
    Berluti recommend a red polish on the toe of the shoe. Jeans/black shoes - it's a 'no' here. Brown, cherry, burgundy in various sttles (loafer, boot, DM) yes but not black.

The issue is one of style. You have a faded jean with some kind of wash effect and black pointy hi shine shoe that is essentially business attire. They are too far apart to 'work' a pair of brogues which are down a level in formality and pair of crisp deep blue selvage denim with a turn up (or nicely faded by the user) are an ideal mix of smart but essentially casual.
    Your combo looks like a confused dress down Friday when the boss still turns up in a suit and you were just not sure what to wear.

This thread is 18 months old so, OP, how have they worn since?