closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Day - Date 1803

Rolex Day - Date 1803 *Update*

Following on from my previous thread over the weekend.
    I am seriously considering going for the 1803 in yellow gold.
    The bad news is:
    It has no box or papers, bracelet, OEM Strap or pin buckle.

The good news is:
    It has undergone a full service at Rolex.
    The dial is the lighter coloured champagne one, which makes it easier to read.

I ask for your advice on the watch and we’re I could purchase a good quality strap and either a solid or plated gold buckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 8th April 2022 at 17:44. Reason: Amended Title

Craftsman

Rolex Day - Date 1803

I bought a genuine Alligator strap from Rolex last year via my local AD and it was £290, as pictured.

You’re unlikely to get a watch of that age with both box and papers.

Last edited by mrsammyp; 10th January 2022 at 16:25.

That’s lovely and IMHO for a watch that age the recent Rolex service is far more important than the bits that are missing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks to be in lovely condition and I agree with dandan.

I like Delugs straps, I think it'd look good on a grey matte gator, something like - https://delugs.com/products/matte-gr...ignature-strap

I think it looks really nice. Guessing its the one on C24 @ £7.5K.

I would recommend Rolexstraps on IG. They have a nice collection of straps for all kinds of Rolex models. Is same as Gunny straps. If interested, you can PM me for their whatsapp number. Alternatively you can get from IG.
    They also have plated Rolex branded buckles but that is iffy.

I wouldn’t bother with an OEM strap and a Rolex service is imo much better than original invoice/box.

For straps check out
    * Camille Fournet
    * Delugs
    * the strap tailor
    * Molequin

Grand Master
    Having seen the pictures I’ve done a mental ‘u turn’ on this one! My initial thoughts were to look for a newer one complete with bracelet in good condition, hadn’t realised how nice these can look on a strap till I saw the pics.

I wouldn’t worry about not having box and papers, most watches at this age don’t. Recent Rolex service is a far more tangible benefit and the service papers provide a certificate of authenticity.

I would try to source a genuine Rolex buckle but look for a good quality generic strap. I always favour black straps but that’s just me. I usually go for less expensive straps and change them more frequently.

I’ve no idea about prices for these, but it makes sense to pay strong money for a really top- notch example rather than look for bargains.

Journeyman

Rolex Day - Date 1803

That’’s lovely and would look great on a number of straps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do love my 1803 especially the stepped dial. They are just such a lot of watch for the money compared to SS sports models.

Master

Stupidly sold mine last year
    Had it on a Bulang & Son leather.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    I bought a genuine Alligator strap from Rolex last year via my local AD and it was £290, as pictured.

Thanks, I have emailed my AD
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I think it looks really nice. Guessing its the one on C24 @ £7.5K.
    Yes, that’s the one 😊

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I would recommend Rolexstraps on IG. They have a nice collection of straps for all kinds of Rolex models. Is same as Gunny straps. If interested, you can PM me for their whatsapp number. Alternatively you can get from IG.
    They also have plated Rolex branded buckles but that is iffy.
    Thank you, will take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    I wouldn’t bother with an OEM strap and a Rolex service is imo much better than original invoice/box.

For straps check out
    * Camille Fournet
    * Delugs
    * the strap tailor
    * Molequin
    Thanks for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Having seen the pictures I’ve done a mental ‘u turn’ on this one! My initial thoughts were to look for a newer one complete with bracelet in good condition, hadn’t realised how nice these can look on a strap till I saw the pics.

I wouldn’t worry about not having box and papers, most watches at this age don’t. Recent Rolex service is a far more tangible benefit and the service papers provide a certificate of authenticity.

I would try to source a genuine Rolex buckle but look for a good quality generic strap. I always favour black straps but that’s just me. I usually go for less expensive straps and change them more frequently.

I’ve no idea about prices for these, but it makes sense to pay strong money for a really top- notch example rather than look for bargains.
    Thanks for your trusted input 👍🏻

Thanks to everyone for your positive input.
    Certainly helps👍🏻

Received this reply back regarding availability.

We will have to order an alligator strap for you. the strap can take up to 20 weeks for delivery if it is out of stock with Rolex.

Strap £300
    Buckle £750

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Received this reply back regarding availability.

We will have to order an alligator strap for you. the strap can take up to 20 weeks for delivery if it is out of stock with Rolex.

Strap £300
    Buckle £750
    That's for the solid gold buckle. They also sell the gold plated buckle (like mine) which is around £50 I think.

Craftsman
    That is just gorgeous; pure class. OP, if you bought that for the kind of price mentioned in one of the posts then well done. I can’t think of anything as nice for that cost. (I must admit though, I’d screw the budget and treat it to the full gold buckle).

I am now the proud owner of an 1803 :-)
    Hopefully it will arrive this week, but depends how quickly Chrono24 passes on the payment etc.

Now all I have to do is find a nice brown, camel or honey coloured strap.

And also a buckle.

Craftsman

Rolex Day - Date 1803

Congratulations, and you may need this (unfortunately not quick set)

Last edited by mrsammyp; 12th January 2022 at 12:23.

I am now the proud owner of an 1803 :-)
    Hopefully it will arrive this week, but depends how quickly Chrono24 passes on the payment etc.

Now all I have to do is find a nice brown, camel or honey coloured strap.

And also a buckle.
    I would personally go via the RSC route and get a correct strap and buckle for the model. It’s a beautiful watch and deserves it!

Apprentice
    That is lovely - plus one on the not bothering with the rolex strap.

So many better alternatives for much cheaper, and you can always find a genuine buckle to add to it.

Grand Master
    I would personally go via the RSC route and get a correct strap and buckle for the model. It’s a beautiful watch and deserves it!
    Rolex will specify a strap but there’s no guarantee its identical to what would’ve been available when the watch was new.

I would source a genuine Rolex gold- plated buckle and a good quality strap from elsewhere.........there’s no such thing as a Rolex cow or Rolex alligator!

Congratulations, and you may need this (unfortunately not quick set)

Thanks for the information, it will no doubt come in handy, especially at the end of months with less than 31 days.

Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex Day - Date 1803

Classy thing that. I would source a genuine plated buckle.

Strap wise I would have one made. More choice and you can get it made to size. I would also like to add Torre straps to the list.

https://instagram.com/torrestraps?utm_medium=copy_link
    Last edited by Middo; 13th January 2022 at 21:27.

Arrived today
    Just replaced the strap

Master
    Blog Entries
    Belting.

You've described that as a lighter champagne dial, but looking at the photos surely it's a classic silver dial (which personally I'd prefer in a gold case such as this).

A beautiful watch!

Congratulations, it looks in very good shape for it's age.

That maybe easier than going via the AD.
    Would it be Rolex at St James, London that I would need to contact?

Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    You've described that as a lighter champagne dial, but looking at the photos surely it's a classic silver dial (which personally I'd prefer in a gold case such as this).

A beautiful watch!
    In hindsight you are probably correct.
    I was going by the description on the advert.
    But seeing it now, yes, it probably is.

Looks lovely, congratulations
    Now please get a more interesting strap than that minimal stitch:-)

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Looks lovely, congratulations
    Now please get a more interesting strap than that minimal stitch:-)
    I know what you mean :-)

I like the minimalist of the strap, so it appears more casual.

Straps are very subjective and what I like others won't!

However, I would like to get another strap, one that is lighter in colour, such as Honey, Cognac, Tan etc

Watchobession do many and here is a link, which shows quite a range of colours.

hirsch-earl-genuine-alligator-watch-strap-gold-brown
    peublo-leather-strap-in-whiskey
    https://delugs.com/products/cognac-pueblo-slim-strap
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 15th January 2022 at 13:27. Reason: added additional links

I like the minimalist of the strap, so it appears more casual.

Straps are very subjective and what I like others won't!

However, I would like to get another strap, one that is lighter in colour, such as Honey, Cognac, Tan etc

hirsch-earl-genuine-alligator-watch-strap-gold-brown
    peublo-leather-strap-in-whiskey
    https://delugs.com/products/cognac-pueblo-slim-strap
    That IS nice and as you say straps are subjective but for me YG and tan/gold straps don’t compliment each other.
    Do me a favor and check this out- https://instagram.com/rolexstraps?utm_medium=copy_link
    Possibilities are endless.

Journeyman
    That looks like a lovely example, looking forward to when we have more photos with a variety of straps.

Apprentice

[URL="https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/products/hirsch-earl-genuine-alligator-watch-strap-gold-brown?variant=335925143"]hirsch-earl-genuine-alligator-watch-strap-gold-brown
    For anyone considering a Hirsch Earl strap, be aware they are being discontinued this year, if you want one don't hang around

There's a good selection of strap pics for the Day-Date here. https://watchbandit.com/rolex-day-da...y-watchbandit/

Suede straps look nice initially but wear quickly and unevenly in my experience.

I have got several dark brown straps already.
    So fancied a change and went with a Hirsch LONDON Matt Alligator Leather Watch Strap in HONEY.
    I have also ordered a genuine Rolex gold plated pin buckle from my AD.

I was on the cusp of selling my 18238 a few weeks ago but it didn't quite work out. After seeing this thread I decided to give it a second chance and a silver dial. I was warned by the Rolex agent that they might do this on an exchange basis only. However it turned out they didn't ask for the original champagne dial so that's safely tucked away in the box. I really like the new look.

Craftsman
    That’s a beauty Russ!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I was on the cusp of selling my 18238 a few weeks ago but it didn't quite work out. After seeing this thread I decided to give it a second chance and a silver dial. I was warned by the Rolex agent that they might do this on an exchange basis only. However it turned out they didn't ask for the original champagne dial so that's safely tucked away in the box. I really like the new look.
    Looks fantastic, I much prefer the silver to the champagne dial. I recently picked up a 18038 with black dial which I like but would be tempted to change things up if fairly straightforward - was this done as part of a service or was it literally just a dial swap?

Hi. It was dial change via an accredited Rolex repairer in Cheshire. The watch was serviced at a RSC recently so no service required. Glad I could hold onto the original dial too. The silver dial is much more legible imo.

That is a beauty Russ
    And it has the added bonus of the single (I think) quick set.

Cheers. The 18238 saw the intro of double quick set, I think it was the next move on from the 18038. You've got me looking at straps and buckles now. Yours is a great combination.

Cheers. The 18238 saw the intro of double quick set, I think it was the next move on from the 18038. You've got me looking at straps and buckles now. Yours is a great combination.
    Ooops
    I misread the model number.

Master
    I think it looks great on various strap and gold buckle options - do it - its a stunner.

Just fitted it onto the strap with a genuine Rolex gold plated pin buckle.
    I like the combination But SWMBO said it looks better on a darker coloured strap.
    Oh well
    But with quick release spring bars. It’s even easier to change to another strap.

*Update*

Sadly, I have had to return the watch back to Rolex (under warranty) to correct a fault with the date change.
    Not long after I had it, I noticed that the date had jumped completely missing the correct date and showing the next one.
    Initially, I thought that it was my error, so just reset it, wow that's a job in itself!
    Happened again a couple weeks later, but only having owned it for about a month, decided to let it go.
    Then it did it for a 3rd time and so, with some disappointment and after speaking with the RSC, just the head was returned to them.
    Hopefully, it will all be sorted and I should get it back towards the end of the month, which is about 5-6 weeks after I sent it off.
    Got to say that I am missing it.

Which is not helping, as I am looking out for a 36mm DJ, or a watch with a large date!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great looking watch and 36mm is a great size.

Spot the difference?

See if you can spot the difference.
    Before being sent to RSC

And after it’s return

Last edited by Topcat30093; 8th April 2022 at 17:45.

See if you can spot the difference.

Looks like a new watch. Really nice.

New dial or crystal?

Blog Entries
    Different strap - but you only returned the watch head so that’s not it. Looks great whatever the difference - hopefully they fixed the date issue
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG