closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega speed master or Tudor heritage chrono?

Journeyman

Omega speed master or Tudor heritage chrono?

Hi all

I'm looking at these as a next purchase. I really can't make up my mind though.

Which will become the more "classic" watch?

Master
    The Speedy is already that. The Tudor won't surpass it.

Master
    The Speedmaster is already a classic no? The Tudor is a really lovely watch but I think you can do better for the price. The good old speedy is far more versatile as well.

Speedmaster all day long and every day of the week.

The Speedmaster has the real heritage and is the wiser choice.

The much tougher decision is, vintage or modern? Classic or FOIS?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Absolutely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    This!

Every day, and twice on Sunday.

The speedy really is the classic. Thats what you asked for. Live the tudor as well though. Wouldny mind either in fact.

But the Tudor is a remake of a classic.

The Speedmaster, obviously (please note - one word, not two).

Hesalite crystal, manual wind.

Vintage Speedmaster wins for me. If you're talking modern Speedmaster though, Tudor Heritage Chrono wins.
    "A man of little significance"

Which Speedmaster?

If you're talking moonwatch, then no question it's the most 'classic' both in terms of heritage and in terms of the way they look and more importantly, wear. If a newer, larger, less traditional Speedy variant, then it may not be so clear cut.

I have a 3752.50 and 70330B and small wrists. For my tastes, the Speedy is definitely the nicer to wear and for me the nicer watch overall, but I can easily imagine plenty of people preferring the heavier, thicker more modern looking Tudor, especially on the excellent bracelet.

I have a few gripes though with the Tudor and they're all down to the movement. Firstly the watch is too thick because of the piggyback chrono module. This is subjective in a lot of ways and the folk that prefer a DSSD or SubC to classic may dismiss that, but I actually prefer the watch on the 'nato' it comes with, but on that strap, even more than a regular nato, the slab sided, tuna can looking unpolished sections of case between the lugs just looks disproportionately large. If if you like the size of the watch, that still just looks wrong.

Then there is the chrono minute hand that's continuous rather than jumping. I prefer the Speedy's jumping hand.

The feel of the chrono mechanism isn't as nice, not that the Speedy's is butter smooth. Tudor sort of has nothing until the very end of the pusher's travel and then a hard notch.

More annoying for me is that the seconds hand, minute hand and crown all seem to have slack between them, so if you hack the watch on the minute and set the time normally the minute hand won't hit the minutes in sync with the second hand.

And finally, starting the chrono often makes the minute hand jump a fraction, advancing it up to maybe 10-15 seconds.

All individually trivial things perhaps, but taken together on a watch with a retail cost of over £3k, I think it's disappointing. I put up with it for that dial and bezel. I love the look and don't think there is anything similar.

My watch is still in warranty but I've never taken it back to be looked at. Google suggests that these are all just "they all do that, Sir" issues. It has convinced me of the importance of the movement when picking watches.
    Last edited by Uriel; 25th September 2015 at 08:25.

Craftsman
    I really like Tudor watches, and my Heritage Ranger is my "go to" watch (to quote another thread). I'm not generally keen on Omega. However, the Speedmaster is far and away the classic from the two you've picked so in this instance I'd say Speedmaster hands down.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    I really like Tudor watches, and my Heritage Ranger is my "go to" watch (to quote another thread). I'm not generally keen on Omega. However, the Speedmaster is far and away the classic from the two you've picked so in this instance I'd say Speedmaster hands down.
    ^ this is my sentiments too. I like the Tudor, but given your desired criteria; the Speed Master is the watch that you're looking for.

If you want a watch that will be 'a classic', as virtually everyone has said, it's the Speedmaster as it's already there. And the one to have is the 'Moon watch' with a hesalite (acrylic) crystal and a manual wind movement.

However, the Tudor is automatic, has a date function, 150m water resistance and sapphire crystal. It's therefore far more useable on a daily basis and would very easily satisfy the 'one watch' criteria.

So it really depends what you want it for!

Someone once said that the Morgan is the only car that's a replica of itself. I kind of feel the same way about both the Heritage Chrono and the current Speedmaster. Why not try to find a current watch that has a chance of being a classic in the future, rather than one that's a modern version of a classic? I don't quite mean the Apple watch but you get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    The Speedmaster, obviously (please note - one word, not two).

Hesalite crystal, manual wind.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    Yep
    Yep

Get a speedie!

If you REALLY can't make up your mind, the Speedmaster, but if you want people to persuade you to buy the Tudor, you've already made up your mind

M.

Master
    Blog Entries
    (1) Put them both on your wrist
    (2) Buy the one you like the most

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    (1) Put them both on your wrist
    (2) Buy the one you like the most
    Bit sensible that...
    Speedy in my opinion, though it's your wrist. ;)
    Dave

Craftsman
    If you need the date function go Tudor, if you do not then i personally prefer the 'original' speedmaster moon watch.

Craftsman
    I have both and love them both but bear in mind the tudor is a thick watch.

Given the choice think the speedmaster would stay.

Actually, I'm wearing my Speedy today and have the Tudor next to me so thought I'd have a closer comparison and I'm going to have to, at least technically, contradict my previous post and that of IDC0001. The Tudor is in fact thinner than a hesalite Speedmaster!

The difference is that all of the width of the Tudor is in the slab sided case. Whereas the Speedmaster has a sculpted case with a quite thin case edge, but a deep dome on the glass and a deep case back. All of which means that despite actually being fractionally thinner, the Tudor seems more massive when worn and handled. I did notice this when I looked at it before buying, comparing it to a GMT...similar thickness, but having the case come all the way down so that the case back is slightly recessed adds to the apparent thickness.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Actually, I'm wearing my Speedy today and have the Tudor next to me so thought I'd have a closer comparison and I'm going to have to, at least technically, contradict my previous post and that of IDC0001. The Tudor is in fact thinner than a hesalite Speedmaster!

The difference is that all of the width of the Tudor is in the slab sided case. Whereas the Speedmaster has a sculpted case with a quite thin case edge, but a deep dome on the glass and a deep case back. All of which means that despite actually being fractionally thinner, the Tudor seems more massive when worn and handled. I did notice this when I looked at it before buying, comparing it to a GMT...similar thickness, but having the case come all the way down so that the case back is slightly recessed adds to the apparent thickness.

Great post! I ve never noticed that the speedy is in fact thicker. I think the slab sides of the tudor is what makes it feel so thicker the case back on my speedy seems to settle into my wrist and make it wear thinner.

Craftsman
    Sorry for the thread resurrection.

Just looking to see what peoples thoughts are 3 years on and to see if anyones feelings towards these two pieces have changed since then.

I'm in this dilemma right now. I'd like a mechanical chronograph and these two are taking my fancy.

The Tudor has better WR, bi directional bezel, date window and a splash of colour.
    The Speedmaster is a Speedmaster

Out of those two I’d take the Speedy every time.

The newer Tudors using the Breitling B01 Chrono movement offer something a little different at a pretty exceptional price point too though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman

The blue version of the Tudor is miles rarer than the speedy

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Tudor for me, had a couple of Speedies years & years ago but I never bonded with them. Loved the dial, but the 'lyre lugs', 'skinny' caseband & deep dished caseback felt slightly dispraportionate to me. Great watch when looked at from the front, & great heritage, but I can get my space kicks from my Fortis B42 chrono', better picece IMO. But for me my choice between Omega/Tudor is.......

But please. get what 'sings' to you & don't make the mistake, as I have, of being pressured/advised/got to have, a particular watch, when you ask the question.
    Enjoy whatever you choose.

My preference would normally be the Tudor but these new generation Seamasters are outstanding.

Personally I’d go for the Speedmaster every time on this one. Though I am biased as my Speedmaster is one of my favourites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Omegamanic commented, when revisiting this old thread from 2015 I think it's worth bringing the Black Bay Chronograph into the mix which appeared in 2017:

The heritage chrono was criticised by some for its unremarkable modular movement, but the new modified Breitling calibre in the Black Bay offers tougher competition for the Speedy.
    Last edited by AKM; 10th October 2018 at 10:56.

Craftsman
    Speedie every time for me. From a purely aesthetic point of view, the hands on the Tudor just don’t fit quite right for a chrono...

(Not qualified to comment on the respective movements)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    As Omegamanic commented, when revisiting this old thread from 2015 I think it's worth bringing the Black Bay Chronograph into the mix which appeared in 2017:

The heritage chrono was criticised by some for its unremarkable modular movement, but the new modified Breitling calibre in the Black Bay offers tougher competition for the Speedy.
    Yeah that’d be the winner for me. When I was in Goldsmiths’s putting down for the BB58 I fell for that big time.

Nothing wrong with the speedy as such and I do like them but I know a few people with them and that’s kind of the problem for me. They’re too common for my liking. One of my customer’s who’s got one was telling me it fogged up for the second time and he was moaning at them for selling him a “divers watch” that fogs up every time he goes swimming with it!

If anyone’s on Instagram they’ll know what I mean about too common when Tuesday comesaround!

My preference would normally be the Tudor but these new generation Seamasters are outstanding.
    Sorry wrong thread.

I'd prefer the Speedmaster every time.

Master
    Over the years I've had or still have a number of different Speedmaster variants including the 'reduced', but never the classic black & white moonwatch itself.

It's a watch I feel I know so well though that I can't help feeling there'd be a degree of anti-climax if I ended up buying one at this stage.

I still haven't changed my mind, a pre-moon Speedy or the Heritage Chrono. Since old Speedies have gone through the roof, the Heritage Chrono. Like I said before, they're replicas of themselves but the Tudor is much rarer and frankly much more interesting to look at. And for practicality it has a rotating bezel.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Late to the party but damn right. Speedy all day long. The Tudor is miles off.

Master
    It would have to be the Speedmaster Moon Watch for me, an absolute classic which has stood the test of time. Just as desirable now as when it was first released.

Journeyman
    I prefer Tudor over the speedmaster

Sent from my SM-N950F using TZ-UK mobile app

I have both and if one were to leave it would be the Tudor. Its a great watch and I really like it but the Speedmaster was my first 'decent' mechanical watch, and an absolute classic.

I have just put a thread up with my Tudor sporting a new strap and must say its changed the look completely, I love the look of it again!

But go with what you like and if you can try, or look at them both first

Master
    Speedmaster for me. Classic design, the most legible dial and subs of any chrono, and considerably thinner than the BB

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Love the Tudor (especially in blue), but the Speedmaster is already as classic as it gets, better proportioned and a versatile design master-class.

Plus, I much prefer an integrated Chronograph movement like the Speedmaster, as opposed to the modular arrangement of the Tudor (i.e. a Dubois-Depraz Chronograph module piggy-backing an ETA 2892 movement).

Albeit a couple of useful features on the Tudor are the Date and a Bezel that rotates for use as a second time-zone display.

However, if you actually want to use the Chronograph function (I know, whatever next?!) then the 45min run-time of the Tudor is of less practical use than the 12hr/60min Speedmaster.

The usual caveats mentioned re the Speedmaster - hesalite crystal, lack of date, hand-winding - are all total non-issues & actually positives to my mind, but to each their own.

I agree with the comment above that the integrated & modified Breitling B01 Chronograph movement being used by Tudor in their Black Bay Chrono is a very impressive bit of kit, includes the required date, and has the better Water Resistance too. Hard to look past.

In a straight choice I would go Speedmaster but the Heritage chrono, the Homeplate grey dial version is very attractive as well. Both give different aspects and go well together in a collection. If I didn’t have a Monaco and El Primero, to complement my speedy, this would be on my wish list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Personally I just can't see the point of a chronograph that only goes up to 45 minutes.

Journeyman
    Got to be the Speedy, although I prefer the Tudor BB to the Speedmaster. While I love the history and heritage, I just find it a little unexciting.

Craftsman
    Definitely the classic Speedmaster out of those two but if you put the BB Chrono in the mix then that is a trickier decision. I love the look of the Speedmaster but not sure how I would get on with the manual winding.

A few rubbish comparison pics for you:

20181011_095223 by Dan Robins, on Flickr

20181011_095336 by Dan Robins, on Flickr
    20181010_171450 by Dan Robins, on Flickr

20181011_095420 (3) by Dan Robins, on Flickr
    20181011_095517 (2) by Dan Robins, on Flickr

20181011_095411 by Dan Robins, on Flickr
    20181011_095534 by Dan Robins, on Flickr

The last pics a bit unfair, as unintentionally I've taken it closer to the Tudor making it look even bigger

As said above the Tudor seems like a bigger watch even though it isn't really, it must purely be the slab sided shape of the case making it wear larger than the Speedy. Also the 22mm strap vs the 20mm on the Speedy adds to the wrist presence.
    Last edited by Robins; 11th October 2018 at 14:19.

Craftsman
    I like the hand wind and no date of my speedy. The only thing I’d have liked is a bit more WR so I’d baby it less though many members say in reality it’s fine and get over it.

The black bay Chrono looks great in the pic, but I don’t get the 45min timer and I’d worry about thickness.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app