closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: In 25 years, mechanical wristwatches will be ...

In 25 years, mechanical wristwatches will be ...

... as sought after as pocket watches ? 8-track cartridges ? VHS recorders ?

I read a comment about vintage watches of a certain brand being the ones to collect and sell on because they've already lost their value and so will only appreciate. But will they ? Or are they just as likely to be considered as valuable as, perhaps, an old mechanical typewriter is today ? A fascinating item, of obvious mechanical excellence, but pointless and a pain to maintain. I wonder if, by 2040, the millions of man-jewellery modern Seamasters ( and 'dwellers and 'mariners ) will be as of their time as a Casio LED calculator ?

No one wears a pocket watch any more. Now they are of interest only to hipsters and dusty old men. No one under 30 seems to wear a mechanical watch any more. When they become 40 and 50 something, I wonder if they'll suddenly develop an interest in an old mechanical watch needing expensive maintenance ?

I don't personally care for the investment thing with watches. Which is a fortunate disregard, given my watch collecting history. However it seems some, not solely based on the comment above, believe the moment a watch passes into their hands it starts to gather value . I wonder if, given the human preponderance to "investing" using the rear-view mirror, some people might be beginning to get drawn in who will later be somewhat disappointed. A large influx of amateur investors is often the time for smart money to exit.

Oh, my pocket watch, if nothing else than to help the Tapatalk crowd

Dusty old man

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure that, in this electronical world, the pleasure of something purely mechanical will disappear. It is indeed steam-punk technology and that's why it connects us to a past where things were more... intelligible.

Also, given that ‘the only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys’, we just need our gadgets. Of course, there are a myriad of alternatives, but the mechanical watch remains one cool symbol of manhood.

From a more personal perspective, I have seen quite a few younger friends of mine turning from complete indifference towards watches to an increasing preoccupation with the one or the other model (maybe it’s also my bad influence in this).

Cheers,
    Christian

PS: That's one gorgeous watch you're having!

I also think it's foolish to buy wristwatches as an investment rather than to wear, despite the likes of Patek Philippe convincing the aspirational to blow the kids' inheritance on a fragile white elephant.

There is absolutely no way of knowing what's going to happen. That said, humans have evidently been fond of fancy adornments for at least 100,000 years.

Good points. There is something seemingly permanent about a man's ( and it is usually a man's ) obsession with mechanical objects. Equally, the attraction of adornment and I would add, signalling of status, is unlikely to wane. But the small patch on the wrist is under siege. Pocket watches died when formal wear disappeared. Wristwatches may die if wearing one becomes as passé as a bow tie, or the smart watches claim the spot.

Watches have passed the point of being functional, as any mobile-phone toting teenager will attest. There is no functional innovation - no pilot, diver, nor explorer relies upon his wristwatch. The modern watch is pure jewellery. We value older watches today, because we ( well, some of us ) value current watches. When enough people stop valuing the modern watch, interest in the older ones will fall as surely as interest in typewriters and calculators. Those who buy to invest, rather than to enjoy, should perhaps consider.

Paul

^
    Agreed on most items. Not sure if I'd relegate the wristwatch to the pure-jewellery category just because there are other devices that can do its function, however. They still do tell the time, and I still think it's the most practical means of doing so. That some of them are nice to wear is a bonus.

Grandfather clocks in particular have dropped like a stone in value recently which I welcome as someone who's buys to enjoy rather than turn a profit.

I hope the same happens with vintage watches, somehow I doubt it as many young people are still being bitten by the vintage watch bug.

As long as the big brands spend their marketing dollars telling us we need an expensive watch, we'll continue to buy them.

The current popularity of the mechanical wristwatch owes a lot to the wrist being a reasonably visible area for any man to broadcast his wealth/taste/status/individuality/success/ruggedness/smoothness/coolness/insert-attribute-ness, while being able to justify it for specious other reasons ( artistry, toughness, history - anything other than timekeeping, which is relatively poor ).

If your wrist is occupied with a smartwatch though, marketing to those esteem weak points wont help. As with pocket watches, once the place they inhabit is gone, they are gone too.

Paul

.......increasingly niche.

There are some serious functionality flaws with current smart watches. Give it 5 years when they are waterproof, proven for contactless payment everywhere, robust, long battery etc etc and they will be increasingly normal.

There will always be a need for expensive man jewellery that the smart watch can't fulfill as technology moves too quickly to make each model long term, but as this generation moves on they will probably take mechanical watches with them.

Steve

Master
    Mechanical watches will live on but quartz will go the way of the 8 track and VHS

Master
    It's very hard to predict - when you consider how different, for instance, the late 50s were from the early 80s, a lot can change in 25 years. Even today, mechanical wrist watches are a nostalgic pursuit. So the question becomes, will the future be retro? Or will it be more excited about the technology of the day? Smart watches will soon be powerful in ways we can barely imagine, and won't need a phone tethered to them, so there's real competition there. On the other hand, they may never be the best tool for communicating, due to the small size and distance from your ear. In spite of the false start for Google's Glass, it has more potential in the long run, with the possibility of projecting augmented reality 3D images into your environment or creating VR as needed. So old fashioned watches may remain the most interesting option for the wrist, from a purely visual point of view. All in all very hard to call, but I wouldn't bet on many of today's high priced new watches holding their value the way some vintage pieces have, the volumes are simply too high.

Mechanical watches were obsolete 40 years ago, but here they still are.

don't think anyone has mentioned the quartz crisis yet.mechanical watches died in the 70/80's and yet here we are craving new and vintage watches.watches are functional pieces of male attire made and engineered amazingly well which appeals to me and many others.smartwatches are pretty pointless just now.the gadget show just did a survey which found that 91%+ of the public don't see the point in owning one.but you just know they are going to get much better in the future.if i knew what was going to happen in the future i would have invested in property,honda rc30's etc...and patek phillippes.

Watches and especially mechanical ones are treated as jewels by people IMHO so it is very possible that they will still be here in the future.

Perhaps the beauty is in the not knowing!

Blog Entries
    Trying to predict the future based on the past is difficult. But twenty five years ago in 1990 I didn't own any mechanical watches, now I have a small collection. The first GUI for Windows was out - Sinclair calculators and smart vehicle C5 was out?

In twenty five years I'll probably be dead and buried along with any current technology starting with 'i'

My guess is mechanical watches will be around in 25 years - the smart watch won't - we will have embedded chips with direct neural control for 'our own safety'. With a terminate option for those who do not comply with the state. Happy dreams

In 25 years, mechanical wristwatches will be...

...in need of a service, surely.

I'll get me coat.

Master
    Perhaps time travel will be possible then, so vintage watches with a GMT function will be in demand!

Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    .......increasingly niche.

There are some serious functionality flaws with current smart watches. Give it 5 years when they are waterproof, proven for contactless payment everywhere, robust, long battery etc etc and they will be increasingly normal.

There will always be a need for expensive man jewellery that the smart watch can't fulfill as technology moves too quickly to make each model long term, but as this generation moves on they will probably take mechanical watches with them.

Steve
    It's a brave man who predicts where technology will be in 5 years time.

Maybe it'll be as you say, or maybe we'll have unfolding our graphene sheets, newspaper sized and watching a video, making a video call and updating our emails all at once...?

Mechanical wristwatches are over 100 years old as as a concept and still incredibly popular - Hi tech is here today, gone tomorrow - Today's Apple watch will be a curio as the Lisa or Newton is today in 10, 15 years time, but a mechanical watch, like a classic car, will be a delight for decades, maybe centuries, whilst people with the skills to repair them exist, to come.

M

If all goes well, I will still have most of mine and they will be 25 years older than today. If worn equally in rotation they will each have less than twelve months in service. Beyond 25 years I don't expect to be too concerned about my watch collection - my son will do with them as he sees fit.
    In a wider context, well...why would I be at all concerned about that.

It's a very good question and one I've often asked myself but feel I'm unqualified to answer because (1) I love traditional time telling wrist watches be it quartz, manual or automatic; the closest tech watch that appeals is the Breitling B-50 and (2) I'm not the right generation; of the younger people I come in contact with not many are interested in traditional watches, maybe it's one of those things that will come with age?

The pocket watch argument is a slightly different isn't it? The fashion no longer supports the kind of attire that allows a pocket watch to be worn (i.e. chain or large suit jacket pocket; pocket watches tend to be too large for trouser pocket and clash with mobile phones!), maybe in the near future wrists will be the preserve of things other than a watch?

Grand Master
    The other day I drove past an Audi 320d BlueEfficiency SE. Some sort of German car, anyway. Cold, efficient, all spoilers and Bluetooth with headlights designed to look like the designer wants to stab you. I probably drove past about a hundred of them, as I do every day. Then I drove past a spotless, bronze metallic 1963 E-Type - rarely seen in the neck of the woods I work - which might have offered the same acceleration and top speed as the Mercedes A4 M-Sport but is worse in every other conceivable hard measure. Yet everyone gawped at it, as it stopped traffic and caused passers-by to walk into lampposts. People around it sure stopped wanting the latest diesel sedan when they clapped eyes on it! Is it the same for other vintage products? Dunno, but some things have an appeal which will last forever.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Who even knows if people are wearing 'regular watches' in 25 years? With the technology innovations just within recent years the watches has in a long time been a jewelry/statement of reliability/trying to stand out since your smartphone can tell you the time and date (of course it looks obnoxious if you constantly look at your smartphone so watches still has some function)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    The other day I drove past an Audi 320d BlueEfficiency SE. Some sort of German car, anyway. Cold, efficient, all spoilers and Bluetooth with headlights designed to look like the designer wants to stab you. I probably drove past about a hundred of them, as I do every day. Then I drove past a spotless, bronze metallic 1963 E-Type - rarely seen in the neck of the woods I work - which might have offered the same acceleration and top speed as the Mercedes A4 M-Sport but is worse in every other conceivable hard measure. Yet everyone gawped at it, as it stopped traffic and caused passers-by to walk into lampposts. People around it sure stopped wanting the latest diesel sedan when they clapped eyes on it! Is it the same for other vintage products? Dunno, but some things have an appeal which will last forever.
    That's true, and surely people have always valued the best of the past, be it design classics, architecture, houses full of antiques and old paintings, revivals of fashions, or collections in a museum? We think of the future as being shiny and new, but London will still have the same old buildings that have been there for centuries in 25 years time, just with a few more Shards and the like peaking over them. In some ways the 25 year difference between 1990 and today doesn't seem that much - huge in terms of technology, perhaps less so in terms of style. Though it's hard to judge a decade when you're in the middle of it - the differences are much clearer when you're looking back further, and some decades are more disruptive and revolutionary, socially, stylistically and technologically.

The huge popularity of mechanical time pieces that we're seeing now though, with a great many small companies cashing in - that is something that wasn't there before the current trend and I don't see it lasting. Many of the big names we see now will still be there in some form, they will find a way to use their brand recognition even if they have to adapt their product. But others will just be memories.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

The huge popularity of mechanical time pieces that we're seeing now though, with a great many small companies cashing in - that is something that wasn't there before the current trend and I don't see it lasting. Many of the big names we see now will still be there in some form, they will find a way to use their brand recognition even if they have to adapt their product. But others will just be memories.
    A lot of new suppliers are entering the market because of the huge amount of cheap borrowed money sloshing around. And a lot will disappear again when that tightens. But more generally, mechanical watches will always be around for the same reason that well-made wool suits are still around even after the advent of the polyester shell. The market for old vintage watches might dry up a bit if there's a walloping correction (and there's already been a frenzy of exchange in the last 10-15 years), but the supply of those is by definition fixed and dwindling and the demand will always renew itself, so I don't see any economic reason why old vintages will suddenly die off.

The analogy with typewriters etc isn't comparable imho, as any watch that is capable of telling the time is still able to perform its primary purpose as well as it did on the day it was made (if adequately maintained). I feel naked without a watch on, and very rarely use my phone to tell the time, I just glance at my wrist. I'm quite happy with a smartphone/dumbwatch combination, (quartz or mechanical watches both falling into the latter bracket)
    I think the real reckoning will arrive in 15-20 years when youngsters (of today) who never wear a watch will be middle-aged and perhaps have no interest in traditiinal watches as they automatically look to their handheld device for the time? Or maybe by then the whole globe will have switched to a centralised 'internet time' where hours and minutes are redundant? - then every timepiece you can buy today would be genuinely redundant!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The analogy with typewriters etc isn't comparable imho, as any watch that is capable of telling the time is still able to perform its primary purpose as well as it did on the day it was made (if adequately maintained). I feel naked without a watch on, and very rarely use my phone to tell the time, I just glance at my wrist. I'm quite happy with a smartphone/dumbwatch combination, (quartz or mechanical watches both falling into the latter bracket)
    I think the real reckoning will arrive in 15-20 years when youngsters (of today) who never wear a watch will be middle-aged and perhaps have no interest in traditiinal watches as they automatically look to their handheld device for the time? Or maybe by then the whole globe will have switched to a centralised 'internet time' where hours and minutes are redundant? - then every timepiece you can buy today would be genuinely redundant!!
    I'm not too concerned about youngsters who don't wear a watch, it's what happens when they grow up that's the point. It's always been something that has passed from father to son - as a small child you grow up seeing your father wearing a watch (or if not your father then at least 007!), and one day you grow up and decide to follow suit. But it may not be until you feel like an adult, and also can afford it. These days people feel like teenagers until they're 40, so it doesn't necessarily happen quickly, but it strikes me that watches will die out when people's fathers aren't wearing them, rather than when youngsters aren't. For the current generation at least, they've had plenty of time to admire Daniel Craig's Omegas and fantasise that one day they will look the same.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    To some extend i think the analogy is solid; somewhat similar to LPs which has been popular for many years (at least here in Denmark) in my opinion because it gives a retro feel and a good (unique) sound - somewhat similar could be said to pocket watches: 1) retro, check! and 2) unique build/movement, check!

The watch world still has a lot of different facets, although its 'original main fuction of telling the time' has been frankly obsolete for years, but the quality/jewelery/individuality etc. aspect of watches will hopefully have a place a long time as of yet.

The internet time thing is some next level stuff, better go trademark that phrase before i do it

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Knisse View Post
    The internet time thing is some next level stuff, better go trademark that phrase before i do it
    Swatch tried it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time

It's long dead, having failed to make any kind of impact on good old time-telling. How are you supposed to be able to tell what time it is on the west coast of the US, if the time in the UK is now 732 out of 1000? Quickly, you've got an important phone call to make!

(Answer: it's 8 hours behind)

In 25 years, mechanical wristwatches will be ...

... even more expensive, in real terms as well as adjusted for inflation :(

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Swatch tried it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time

It's long dead, having failed to make any kind of impact on good old time-telling. How are you supposed to be able to tell what time it is on the west coast of the US, if the time in the UK is now 732 out of 1000? Quickly, you've got an important phone call to make!

(Answer: it's 8 hours behind)
    The idea was that if everyone used internet beats, it would be 732 all over the world - no need for time zones or calculations.

To answer the OP I suspect that in 25 years time mechanicals will operate in exactly the same place they do now.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    The idea was that if everyone used internet beats, it would be 732 all over the world - no need for time zones or calculations.
    Unfortunately, it turned out that someone had already invented UTC.

.... Rare and priceless. I keep two for my boys, sell the rest and buy an island to retire to.

Banned
    Gone apart from a few niche watches. Why? Because of the inconvenience and expense involved in servicing the things.

Many years ago Rolex did a smart thing when it provided spare parts, tools and training to a broad base of watch repairers. Those days are sadly gone. Now days you will have to carefully track down a trustworthy independent person who with luck can service your watch or send it to the manufacturer and deal with the issues that can arise, such as:

1. Absurdly high price for a service, costing vastly more than a new movement would cost.

2. You have no idea how long the service/repair is going to take or how much it is going to cost. You will be presented with a list of scratched this, worn out that and bill for some obscene amount.

3. You may receive the watch back in a worse state than when you sent it away and you will have to go through step 2 again, sometimes multiple times until it is sorted.

4. Risk of sending a valuable item away.

Imagine someone who is not a total watch tragic who finds a forgotten Omega 25 years from now. He takes it to his local watch dealer(if such a thing exists 25 years from now) who tells him that he does not have the spare parts or training to service it but he can send it overseas and for a ridiculous price it can be serviced. Guess what. The person will most likely throw the thing back into the drawer it came from and use his money on something meaningful.

Will some watches appreciate? Yes, there is no doubt they will. The kind of watch that will appreciate is rare, attractive, from a well known manufacturer, has never been worn or serviced and comes with all the boxes and papers it is supposed to come with. That kind of watch is an investment. Will some other watches appreciate? A few will, but most will not. The law of supply and demand...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    The problem with that is that you call someone up in California when it's 396, and the sun is shining where you are, and you get a torrent of abuse because it's actually what using to be 3 am there. What do you care? As far as you're concerned it's 396, and the sun is shining

The idea was a ridiculous one, as you had to qualify the absolute "internet" time with "human" time anyway. A bit like Mecca time. Slaved exactly to Greenwich ;).

Craftsman

Daughters choice

Both my daughters, in their 20s iPhone geeks have put down their designer quartz watches and now wear mechanical watches. They rate the styling, enjoy the difference, and are regularly surprised and pleased and the complimentary comments from friends etc. Hopefully the difference will always appeal , a bit like the style example. Fwiw neither watch was expensive, both less than £100. Hopefully they will pass on their enthusiasm to the next generation.

Master
    Of course, an alternative answer is that in 25 years mechanical wrist watches will be scratch proof, incredibly accurate, need no servicing due to a sealed unit using dry frictionless bearings, and be made entirely of some advanced material we've never imagined. One of the intriguing things about mechanical technology is that it's still evolving, even though it's theoretically obsolete.

In a world where both investments and consumption will become increasingly intangible and inconspicuous, I can see a case for mechanical watches retaining their appeal...both as an outward display of wealth/discernment and as a tangible and portable store of value.

[QUOTE=GrandS;3648118]Gone apart from a few niche watches. Why? Because of the inconvenience and expense involved in servicing the things.

Many years ago Rolex did a smart thing when it provided spare parts, tools and training to a broad base of watch repairers. Those days are sadly gone. Now days you will have to carefully track down a trustworthy independent person who with luck can service your watch or send it to the manufacturer and deal with the issues that can arise, such as:

1. Absurdly high price for a service, costing vastly more than a new movement would cost.

2. You have no idea how long the service/repair is going to take or how much it is going to cost. You will be presented with a list of scratched this, worn out that and bill for some obscene amount.

3. You may receive the watch back in a worse state than when you sent it away and you will have to go through step 2 again, sometimes multiple times until it is sorted.

4. Risk of sending a valuable item away.

QUOTE]

This is a convincing argument, but is it equally applicable to all mechanical watches? Let's not overlook the Seiko 7S26 end of the market.

An intrinsic appeal of mechanical watches is what they are not - their batteries don't expire, they don't need software upgrades, they aren't smarter than their owner and they can defy design obsolescence. These qualities can be appreciated for less than £100 and at that price, servicing is simply uneconomic.

A short time ago, with sights set ever higher up market, I began to question the point of my lower priced 7S26 type watches with their crude movements, unrefined cases and 20 second daily rates. I picked one up, unworn for maybe 5 years, it sprung into life and a little smile broke out as I remembered what it's all about. By contrast, in an office drawer lie the remains of my past 5 mobile phones, quite a sum.

So go and buy a cheap mechanical and beat the system. With such a USP for first time owners, surely the entry point end of the market has a future?
    Last edited by forpetesake; 26th September 2015 at 10:15.

I think there are some interesting points here ... As regards to long case clocks part of there decline has been a change in furnishings many people of all ages are preferring a much cleaner more Contempory look to there houses and indeed there are many more Contempory houses being designed and built , sadly the longcase clock does not fit into this ,beautiful and important clocks still retain there place amount collectors but the run of the mill clock has all but crashed in value ... I think watches are different and I believe that as are relationship with technology gets ever more interdependent man made mechanical objects such as mechanical watches ,classic cars ,ect will be just as important because part of there attraction is the affiliation that man has with these objects which we do not have with technology ..perhaps this is because technology is constantly changing and evolving much faster than we can really deal with and we are at the point of losing control of it whereas in many ways mechanical objects are manmade Technology something we have always felt in control of . I love technology my 3D design software my apple macs ect ... I also love my new discovery with all its bells and whistles , but I much prefer driving my 68 Landrover rather like my mechanical watches my classic cars are also rather pointless but they feel and relate to me in a more human way much more so than the latest ever moving forward technology which gets ever more divorced from us as human beings ... So as tech moves forward I believe we will continue to crave beautiful and pointless but obsolete human tech !!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Mechanical watches were obsolete 40 years ago, but here they still are.
    +1

Men will always have a desire to strap expensive watches on their wrist be that for the right or wrong reasons..

Master
    Blog Entries
    In 25 years time mechanical wrist watches will be more technical and the use of state of the art materials will be even further advanced.

Smart watches are here to stay but will never replace 250 years of mechanical horological history.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    ... as sought after as pocket watches ? 8-track cartridges ? VHS recorders ?

I read a comment about vintage watches of a certain brand being the ones to collect and sell on because they've already lost their value and so will only appreciate. But will they ? Or are they just as likely to be considered as valuable as, perhaps, an old mechanical typewriter is today ? A fascinating item, of obvious mechanical excellence, but pointless and a pain to maintain. I wonder if, by 2040, the millions of man-jewellery modern Seamasters ( and 'dwellers and 'mariners ) will be as of their time as a Casio LED calculator ?

No one wears a pocket watch any more. Now they are of interest only to hipsters and dusty old men. No one under 30 seems to wear a mechanical watch any more. When they become 40 and 50 something, I wonder if they'll suddenly develop an interest in an old mechanical watch needing expensive maintenance ?

I don't personally care for the investment thing with watches. Which is a fortunate disregard, given my watch collecting history. However it seems some, not solely based on the comment above, believe the moment a watch passes into their hands it starts to gather value . I wonder if, given the human preponderance to "investing" using the rear-view mirror, some people might be beginning to get drawn in who will later be somewhat disappointed. A large influx of amateur investors is often the time for smart money to exit.

Oh, my pocket watch, if nothing else than to help the Tapatalk crowd

Dusty old man

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Hi Paul,

I'm not sure that, in this electronical world, the pleasure of something purely mechanical will disappear. It is indeed steam-punk technology and that's why it connects us to a past where things were more... intelligible.

Also, given that ‘the only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys’, we just need our gadgets. Of course, there are a myriad of alternatives, but the mechanical watch remains one cool symbol of manhood.

From a more personal perspective, I have seen quite a few younger friends of mine turning from complete indifference towards watches to an increasing preoccupation with the one or the other model (maybe it’s also my bad influence in this).

Cheers,
    Christian

PS: That's one gorgeous watch you're having!
    Great thread discussion. Who knows what will happen? But on the subject of whether more people will get the bug as they get older (and earn more) I'm quietly hopeful. In the past three years I've infected three colleagues with the mechanical bug. One has a dress Omega, one a gorgeous early 50s Tudor and the last of them a late 40s Oyster and a Moonwatch.

I see prices rising in vintage watches for a few years now... There might be a bubble that will burst though...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Mechanical watches will live on but quartz will go the way of the 8 track and VHS
    I think both mechanical and quartz watches will continue inbeing for many years.

I fail to see the inherent advantages of mechanical over quartz for the man in the street. The quartz watch is more accurate, more robust, cheaper to maintain and usually cheaper to purchase.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 3rd October 2016 at 18:12.

i am neither dusty old man, hipster nor a nobody ...

quartz , but then i never said i was perfect either

Blog Entries
    Holy mackerel -thread resurrection gif. I can't be arsed to fish one from the internet.