closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Pelagos Titanium bracelet - scratches easily

Tudor Pelagos Titanium bracelet - scratches easily

I have been a big fan of the Pelagos and think the shape dial colour lume and engineering of the bracelet to be amazing.

However the ease with which it picks up scratches is also amazing, or maybe I am being too fussy. The odd scratch I can live with, but the clasp has "nicks" without me treating it harshly.
    How much damage can you do in an office environment?

Does anyone else have this "problem"?
    Are there any self cleaning / polishing solutions I could do myself?

I got a quote from a AD for £305 to reapply the matt finish.

uploadfromtaptalk1442318570058.jpguploadfromtaptalk1442318633746.jpg

Nature of brushed titanium, I'm afraid. It's why I always get the buffer out and polish my bike frames to a mirror shine when they come from the factory brushed. A few rides and they look just like your bracelet. Manufacturer recommeds a red Scotch-brite pad to reapply the finish - it's what they use in the factory'. I'd DIY rather than pay £300, especially since in a few weeks you'll just be back at this point again.

The clasp is steel, not titanium.

I've brushed my clasps with pretty good results using some old fashioned scotchbrite.

£305!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mental

The clasp on my Pelagos is no more scratched than on my other watches, and the bracelet itself looks like new except for on fairly large scratch I put in the end link about 2 minutes into ownership!

EDIT: just saw the pics you linked are of the bracelet, not the clasp. To be honest the scratches don't look too bad, so you might want to try a scratch pen on those small parts of the links. http://www.watchobsession.co.uk/prod...cratch-pen-4mm

(but I also think titanum looks better with a few scratches )
    Last edited by trisdg; 15th September 2015 at 14:11.

Thanks for your comments and advice. Off to buy some scotchbrite and scratch pens now. Shame the sonic bath isn't going to work!

Master
    I've tried one of those pens on an older (and much cheaper) titanium Seiko I had and it brought it up quite nicelt. Be interested to hear how you get on with the Pelagos! £300+ to refinish it is absolutely ludicrous

Yeah it's not too bad, there was some good advice posted here a few years ago http://forums.watchuseek.com/f15/tit...ml#post2256488 to use some "Steel Wool". I think that would bring a smoother finish than scotch brite.

Also careful with the pens they leave a ton of tiny very itchy powder !

just got off the phone to Gary at Watch Obsession. I have ordered the bumper cleaning kit, including cape cod, pen and blocks and all. I shall have a "dry run" on a few cheapies first before I take on the Pelagos.

Sounds like a good selection which I am sure will work fine. Whatever you do to it, you can still get it restored by Omega if you aren't happy with the results so go for it.

As others have said, its in the nature of a brushed Ti finish I'm afraid. Mine doesn't get as much use as yours, and it still has a couple of bright spots on the bracelet.

Master
    Mine shows wear to the bracelet and clasp as well. I bought it well used and even after some light refinishing it just seems to come back no matter how careful I am. I'm just going to live with the fact it seems to pick up marks easily.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Sounds like a good selection which I am sure will work fine. Whatever you do to it, you can still get it restored by Omega if you aren't happy with the results so go for it.
    Omega on the brain? I'd rather send it to Tudor ;-)

Master
    Yikes! The OP's picture does look like the watch's badly scratched. That's disappointing from Tudor. My Tutima DI300 has brushed titanium, but it's never scratched easily.

Tudor is taking the Mickey to charge £300+ for refinishing! Andrew Charles will refinish a titanium diver for £65 and do a great job.

This arrived just now. And thanks to Dougal for the recommendation.

Tudor Pelagos Titanium bracelet - scratches easily

My bracelet is free of marks. Had one shortly after it originally came out. Might get scratches in the future though, I don't baby it - it goes on holidays etc. So curious how you get on. Good luck!

Edit. Just checked watch obsession. I found a bracelet kit but it's not called a bumper kit? Would you please share which kit you bought for future reference?
    Last edited by Glen Goyne; 18th September 2015 at 06:29.

Journeyman
    Got to say that my Pelagos' clasp scratched really quickly and easily and within a few months looked decidedly worn (interesting, the SubC I replaced it with still looks new - tougher steel?). The strap hardly picked up any scratches and small ones seemed to vanish over time.

Here is the intended picture of the cleaning scratch removal kit

uploadfromtaptalk1442561360949.jpg

That looks serieus!

Quote Originally Posted by budfox88 View Post
    Here is the intended picture of the cleaning scratch removal kit

uploadfromtaptalk1442561360949.jpg
    Is there a how to that comes with it?

Not included in the box. I may be spending time looking at forum posts and youtube videos.

Craftsman
    Just to digress, isn't the clasp on the Pelagos steel? My BB (steel) scratches easily too, it's just one of those things...

Master
    So, green scotch brite for steel brushed finish. Red scotch brite for titanium brushed effect and cape cod for polished areas.

What else would I need? Not sure what the pens mentioned in the thread are for.

Please take some before and after pics if you try. Mine looks fine but always curious.

Craftsman
    If the bracelet marks bother you why not just wear it on the rubber? I'm thinking of trying a Nato on mine.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I like it on the bracelet. I was asking more from a ‘is what I summerised correct’ angle. My wife’s steerlmwatch needs a clean sonill be doing that. My pelagos is fine.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This was posted on here. Results look very good

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...anium-bracelet

Master
    I have used an eraser and it VERY good at light marks but for heavier scratches I think the pads mentioned above would leave a cleaner better brushed finish.

Why use different pads on steel and titanium, assume one pad is more abrasive than the other?

Master
    I've had my Pelagos since release and has been a pretty daily wear during that time. By that I mean it's probably taken 50% of my wrist time. It's seen some battering offshore and in general daily use. Although I've never been bothered by the wabi I'm looking forward to the service this year when I can get it taken back to original state. I've not found that it picks up marks any easier than a SS bracelet or clasp though. In fact I find that as the surface layer oxidises over time the scratches lighten. Not on the SS clasp though.