closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Your choice German/Swiss ?

Your choice German/Swiss ?

Hello there .. So I am sure we would all agree that the Swiss rule supreme in the watch making universe , with the Germans a close second ! .
    Most of mine from Sinn to Dornbluth are German..... How about you , do you have a preference ? And what differences do you see between the 2 countries in terms of watch manufacture ?.

Quote Originally Posted by tazio View Post
    Hello there .. So I am sure we would all agree that the Swiss rule supreme in the watch making universe , with the Germans a close second ! .
    Most of mine from Sinn to Dornbluth are German..... How about you , do you have a preference ? And what differences do you see between the 2 countries?.
    Prefer Swiss, as they didn't invade my homeland

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Well, that escalated quickly.

Um ! Not quite what I had in mind ! But to be fair Neutral and not entirely blameless ...... Not too mention the Auto unions possible under a bank somewhere !! . I did wonder before I posted the thread .....

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Well, that escalated quickly.
    Only meant tongue in cheek, and someone was gonna do it, so why not get it over with early and get to the point

Um ! Not quite what I had in mind ! But to be fair Neutral and not entirely blameless ...... Not too mention the Auto unions possible under a bank somewhere !! . I did wonder before I posted the thread .....
    I know, I know, only joking.

As to the actual question at hand. My preference is Swiss, the German offerings just appeal, not really sure why, too clinical possibly, although there is one, the Glashutte Original Seventies Panorama Date

But I'm unsure if it's the actual watch I like or is it because it is a cheaper alternative to this

Master
    Although I have plenty of Swiss watches in my collection, I do tend to favour the German brands because I admire their approach to engineering and design. The Swiss contribution to horology always has to be acknowledged however, and there is many a Swiss movement beating away inside a German case.
    I also shun most "Brand snobbishness" because I buy watches to wear not to show off to anyone (I am single, divorced with no friends lol)
    Last edited by UKMike; 9th September 2015 at 13:42.

Master
    Swiss for me, they just have the 'better' brand status in my opinion.

Brand? hands down Swiss

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Swiss for me, they just have the 'better' brand status in my opinion.
    Totally agree and that why if I could only have one watch it would be Swiss made.

Journeyman
    Swiss all day long

Currently, I'd say that the German manufacturers tend to offer more watch for the money and have better design competency than the Swiss, and this is regardless of price level. They also seem to be less eager to outsource component production to cheaper-labour countries.

This is a obviously a very broad generalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Currently, I'd say that the German manufacturers tend to offer more watch for the money and have better design competency than the Swiss, and this is regardless of price level. They also seem to be less eager to outsource component production to cheaper-labour countries.

Tend to agree with that ! ..... Also there tends to be far less branding with German watches can be difficult these days to work out how much your paying for the actual watch and how much for the branding !

I think they complement eachother nicely...

you have to have some from each country to appreciate this

I was staunchly anti-swiss and only had russian german watches in my collection

relaxed that rule somewhat over the last few years

Most of mine from Sinn to Dornbluth are German..... How about you , do you have a preference ? And what differences do you see between the 2 countries in terms of watch manufacture ?.
    I don't think you would actually get universal agreement there at all that the Swiss 'reign supreme', I would imagine this is all very subjective and that a well known company called 'Seiko' may have something to do with it.....

Wink

Lol, there goes a mouthful of my morning coffee..

Swiss for me also, although I'd always buy a German car

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I don't think you would actually get universal agreement there at all that the Swiss 'reign supreme', I would imagine this is all very subjective and that a well known company called 'Seiko' may have something to do with it.....
    +1 from me.

Craftsman
    ;-)

Swiss for me too and I am actually Polish but I do own some German products, they do make some quality engineering products (guns, optics etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Lol, there goes a mouthful of my morning coffee..

Swiss for me also, although I'd always buy a German car
    Oddly I would buy a Swiss watch , but avoid a German car ! Well not quite a 68 porche 911s Yum ...

Well let me buck the trend on this thread, I prefer a lot of what the Germans are doing though that is primarily down to GO.

Some of the complications / watches GO are producing such as the Counter XL, PanoGraph, Senator Diary, use of large dates etc is IMHO very different and exciting compared to what the usual Swiss big names are creating right now - which seems to be a bog standard range of three handers and a subdial-ed chronograph.

Add into that brands like Sinn, Nomos, Dornbuth etc and personally I think the German watch manufactories are producing some cracking pieces.

The German brands certainly don't enjoy the brand presence of the Swiss, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

For my top end watches I only buy Swiss.
    My other watches are all from the Far East - Seiko and Casio.
    I find German stuff supremely well made but lacking interest (to me).

I have around 25 Swiss watches and only one German - however, that German one (a Glashutte Original Perpetual calendar) is probably the best watch I own, certainly in terms of movement finish.

I enjoy the relative anonymity of German watches and hope to add a Lange at the end of the year.

A 'Swiss watch' has more legend and kudos it appears than a German one perhaps through popular culture references in films, majority of which were English speaking produced i.e American or British. Perhaps their bias was not towards anything German possibly being superior? GO or Sinn can not just rival but beat a lot of competitors at their relative price points and Lange from what I've seen and are only 'behind' Patek in terms of continuous brand building. I'd like to think I was relatively logical but if I had to pick one watch I have to admit to a bias towards Patek, and possibly because of what I think it means (hope that makes sense- and I would never buy I watch I don't like just because of its name!). I think that's probably true of the whole German vs Swiss question.

Craftsman
    Honestly, has almost no value to me - the "swiss made" is overused and in my opinion not really guarantee that it is quality. Owned an german made Archimede and the quality was on par with the 'swiss made' counterparts.

Of course swiss has a long history, but i do not factor 'swiss made' in to my buying decisions.

Apprentice
    An Englishman is at the top of the watchmaking world. And his mentor was probably the greatest watchmaker ever. Swiss & German...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycey View Post
    An Englishman is at the top of the watchmaking world. And his mentor was probably the greatest watchmaker ever. Swiss & German...lol!
    I thought the start of the movement was a SWISS ETA? and the design look like a Breguet no?
    Last edited by loqv75; 11th September 2015 at 19:03.

Master

Another vote for German watches

+2. I agree with Tazio and Belligero Like DB9yeti, I also enjoy the relative anonymity of German watches.

Plus "Swiss Made" is meaningless nowadays. So why pay more for such a meaningless term?
    Last edited by Dougal; 11th September 2015 at 19:20.

Not bothered about country of origin; just the watch in question. Wearing an Archimede at the moment, which has displaced a Seiko Tuna temporarily. Why limit the choice to Europe?

Craftsman

Totally agree........I think Glashutte and Nomos in particular, make exceptional watches both in terms of design and VFM

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like budget German watches like Sinn and Muhle Glashutte, however I generally prefer Swiss watches, but the best watch I probably ever owned in terms of movement, and finish was a GO Senator Chrono.
    I hope to own a Lange before I snuff it.