closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tried a Planet Ocean today...

Tried a Planet Ocean today...

Didn't think I'd like it, but I'm really taken with it.

One thing thats bugging me, what sort of discount are people getting on Omega these days? She offered me 7% straight off, but even at that the price is a fairly close to a no date sub, and I think that might be the better investment? That notwithstanding, both are lovely.

For what its worth my Mrs loved the sub, but I can't decide.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

Have you checked Iconic's prices? I bet it's a hell of a lot more than 7%...

Iconic seem to give a standard 25% off most PO models.

IMO buy the Sub - and buy from somewhere like Iconic rather than a UK AD - they are closer to £4k than £5k, or at least usefully inbetween, and it will be a much better long term buy - I sold my 8500 Planet Ocean for a little over £2k!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Have you checked Iconic's prices? I bet it's a hell of a lot more than 7%...
    It is! I keep looking at Iconic, and despite good reports I'm still a bit wary. Perhaps wrong of me to think so, and at that sort of saving it is hard to ignore. My tame local AD sadly closed a couple of years ago and I haven't bought anything since but I'd get 20-25% off Omega there every day.

P

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jounetsu View Post
    It is! I keep looking at Iconic, and despite good reports I'm still a bit wary. Perhaps wrong of me to think so, and at that sort of saving it is hard to ignore. My tame local AD sadly closed a couple of years ago and I haven't bought anything since but I'd get 20-25% off Omega there every day.

P
    I had 2 omegas delivered from them yesterday. Plenty of emails with Chris there, they are very knowledgeable, friendly and service is good. It was my second order with them and would go back in a heartbeat.

Or buy a preowned PO? Then someone will have already taken the hit

What's the warranty situation if you buy from Iconic?

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Definitely. The residuals are crap on the PO. I know this personally!

Journeyman

P
    Buy and dont worry :) I bought two watches from Iconic. Chris is very knowledgeable. They answer all email and delivery is the next day, pick the one you want :)

I paid for PO 2950 as far as i remember, plus 15 pounds for delivery. New in the UK with manufacturer warranty, tough to beat price.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    Definitely. The residuals are crap on the PO. I know this personally!
    Residuals are poor on all watches apart from Submariner and GMT Master. However, with current exchange rate it is not even worth buying Sub in the UK.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nr73 View Post
    What's the warranty situation if you buy from Iconic?
    Generally they do the hassle of buying from Italy/ Greece and ship to the UK. So it comes with a stamped and dated warranty card from normally an overseas AD. I had a problem with a Longines I used to have I bought from there and it was taken by an AD in the UK for repair no questions asked.

If the watch is in stock, then the card may have been stamped a few days/ weeks ago, but if you order in the AD normally dates the card for the day you expect to receive the watch.

Craftsman
    Geneva Airport gave an extra 6% off the tax free price on a seamaster. Worked out much cheaper than the U.S. And UK so you could consider a little trip!?

Master
    I recently bought an Aqua Terra from Iconic. There was a slight smear on the underside of the crystal. Iconic were very helpful, I sent the watch to them and they then sent it on to Omega who sorted it out under the warranty without any problems.

I've bought 4 watches from Iconic and would highly recommend them.

Craftsman
    Isn't there a 8500 PO on sales corner at the moment?

If not buy the sub and try not admit your wife was right ;)

Journeyman
    You should definitely be able to get a better deal. 15-25% seems to be the standard at many places..

Grand Master
    Both the previous and current version of the Planet Ocean are superb watches, having them in two sizes caters for most and the old V new shapes also add another option for potential buyers albeit they will be a lot stronger in the newer version. Then we add the colour options which are great on both and take the watch into the filed where it has proved to be excellent in performance. I have owned quite a few and all were bombproof bits of kit
    RIAC

Keep the wife happy and look for PO bargain later?

jambobbyb
    Last edited by jambobbyb; 21st May 2019 at 19:27.

Craftsman
    I would not purchase a Omega retail with 7% discount, in terms of investment (as you mention) you are close to a Rolex which easily holds value. Either get a used PO much cheaper or get the Rolex (new or used).

This is being said by a hugh Omega fan by the way.

Journeyman
    these are on my shopping list also(but currently on hold) last time i checked Iconic they had them at around £3850 which is a considerable discount.\Im quite lucky when i am home as they are on my doorstep so its easy for me but I've heard nothing but good things about them

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    take the watch into the filed where it has proved to be excellent in performance.
    Many stories abound of leaking He valves; was that on pre-PO Seamasters?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andykb675 View Post
    these are on my shopping list also(but currently on hold) last time i checked Iconic they had them at around £3850 which is a considerable discount.\Im quite lucky when i am home as they are on my doorstep so its easy for me but I've heard nothing but good things about them
    What's £3850????

Journeyman
    my bad thought we were talking about the chronograph....ill get my coat

Blog Entries
    I've just got one and am pretty impressed with it .
    The only downside ( other than residual value) I see against the Rolex is the lack of adjustment on the bracelet , along with the worst link removal I've ever experienced.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Just sold mine this week. 2011 as new, non ceramic Orange/Red 12/6/9 full sized......... £2k.

Journeyman
    But a new one if you can afford or go for a used one and save a few quid

One thing thats bugging me, what sort of discount are people getting on Omega these days? She offered me 7% straight off, but even at that the price is a fairly close to a no date sub, and I think that might be the better investment?
    Like both the watches on your shortlist although the PO is one that I've never owned, come close a few times, the most recent in Beaverbrooks New Year sale. The prices of Omega watches are expensive now, especially for those old enough to remember the price point fifteen to twenty years ago. And here's the rub I suppose, Omega watches still appear discounted in sales and when not in sales buyers expect a decent discount which in some cases in entirely possible. How many Rolex sports watch do you see in a sale? Haggling for discounts isn't so easy with a Rolex AD either, for Omega residuals to harden they would need to continue to show that they are exceptional value for money and start to introduce measures to protect the brands image. However, there would be nothing Omega could do with the grey dealer prices but that's the same for other brands too.

Watches as investments, well as most would say you shouldn't look at a watch as an investment. For return on resale, given past performance, Rolex watches have been easy to sell on with good return on investment but there is no guarantee that will continue into the future.

As per other posters, I'd have to say if you want the PO drive the best deal you can or buy pre owned because I suspect if you flip it you'll lose more on the PO than the Sub.

I have a PO 2500d that I purchased new from my AD last year at a 20% discount. Great watch. It has become one of my favorites and it makes it hard to justify owning another dive watch.

Re: residuals. I'd suggest buying what you like rather than what you think might hold it's value better.