closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Memories... Fighting Fantasy

Master

Memories... Fighting Fantasy

I am having a bit of a clear out of stuff (I think I've single handedly stocked a couple of charity shops this week), but among the stuff, I've found some fighting fantasy books (Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone) and they brought back some cracking memories.

I am pre-emptying a few Star Wars comments, but what takes you back to when you were a kid?

Master
    Your post brought back a thousand and one memories of my childhood. Yes I was also a Dungeons & Dragons fan but far from being ashamed I firmly believe that playing that game taught me many values for my future life. I don't mean something along the lines of never trust a dwarf but it taught you how to think and to negotiate with peers, how to interact respectfully and how to get my point across, how to listen and process information. People scoff but I genuinely believe it had a strong influence on the person I am today.

Cheers
    Greybeard the Grim

Joking aside I will always have fond memories of lost weekends in the fantasy role playing world. My fantasy role playing is more fantasy pole playing these days thanks to the Mrs!

Nosaj Rellim , 12th level magic user here, pass me the 20 sided dice.....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    We had a favourite 20 sider that had almost been rolled smooth. It was solid white with red painted numbers. Took forever to stop but was generous with to 20s!

Craftsman
    Still got citadel of chaos and others in the loft, plus all my AD&D stuff, Car Wars, Middle Earth Role Playing a couple of 500 counter type board games and loads of happy memories!!!! Big Bang Theory brings them back every so ofter..... :)

Master
    If you like this, go to post 1. If you don't, return to George and Dragon.

Used to love these as a kid! Picked up one of the iPhone ports a couple of years ago but wasn't quite the same for whatever reason.

Great memories of these as a kid, I had a large collection!

Recently started collecting again and I'm proud to have every one, from The Warlock of Firetop Mountain to I think #53.

Favourites include Freeway Fighter, Appointment With FEAR and Robot Commando.

All said and done, I did/do prefer the Lone Wolf series, I have all 12 of them too!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ludo.

Master
    Glad to see I'm not alone.

Ludo? Wasn't he a character from The Labyrinth? Now that's another kick back to the past!

Master
    Wow. Absolute blast from the past! I had House of Hell and Freeway Fighter.
    I don't recall ever finishing/winning one.

A trip to e.bay is in order!

I read the first three posts in this thread and then was captured by a troll. I've been trying to roll a 6 to continue through the the discussion for three hours now. >:(

Master
    I loved these books!!

Deathtrap Dungeon was my favourite.

Ian livingtsone and Steve jackson made a lot of money off me

sold nearly the whole lot of books on ebay for about £50 once.... some rare misprinted ones in there too

I still have the warlock of firetop mountain somewhere lurking around

Last edited by Xantiagib; 8th September 2015 at 14:53.

Master
    ^^^

Blinkin' flip! A veritable trove of memories in that lot.

Apprentice
    i love this book

Master
    I loved those books and like playing chess I didn't take my finger off the page so I could quickly change my mind if it was a bad choice (I was only 7 or so at the time!!). I also loved the Dragon Lance books (Margaret Weiss / Tracey Hickman) when I got older and read the whole series

Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    I loved those books and like playing chess I didn't take my finger off the page so I could quickly change my mind if it was a bad choice (I was only 7 or so at the time!!). I also loved the Dragon Lance books (Margaret Weiss / Tracey Hickman) when I got older and read the whole series
    One page?

I'd have all the fingers on my left hand wedged in there and a couple from the right.

Definitely cheating, but the only way through.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    One page?

I'd have all the fingers on my left hand wedged in there and a couple from the right.

Definitely cheating, but the only way through.
    They were still a great read if you pretended to win all the fights, later on I did a little program on my Amstrad to simulate the dice throws and the stamina and skill points ... no point kept dying

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    They were still a great read if you pretended to win all the fights, later on I did a little program on my Amstrad to simulate the dice throws and the stamina and skill points ... no point kept dying
    Amstrad? Another blast from the past!

Journeyman
    Clangers

- - - Updated - - -

Trumpton

Master
    You rolled a six.... THREAD RESURRECTION!!

Sorry to dig this one up from the depths but I'm thinking about buying a set of the "Wizard Books" re-prints of some of the old Fighting Fantasy games to play with the kids over the Summer hol's (just something different from tablets and video games!)

Silly question but what age range are these suitable for? I'm certain I read some of these at primary school, but I remember Hell House in particular being a bit of a gruesome one... I don't want to scare them off, I would love to see them delve into FF as it's something that I dedicated hundreds of hours to as a child.

I think I was in middle school when I started reading these, so maybe 10 years old or thereabouts.

I think you're right about some being more hardcore than others. Did they not have an age recommendation on the front or back covers?

Just googled some of the covers, and no, they don't. But the covers brought back some memories!

Master

Memories... Fighting Fantasy

Flipping heck - this really is a tread resurrection.

I started on them as soon as I joined middle school personally. So 11ish I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Tahiti; 4th July 2019 at 11:17.

I was 10 or 11, still in middle school, and I absolutely loved them. #1 and #6, Citadel of Chaos, in particular!

If you're interested, Steve Jackson has developed a game (I know it's available in the Play Store, I don't know about Apple) called Sorcery! and it's pretty good. It's cerebral - it might teach the kids of today the need to take their time, to read, take notes and approach the game with caution! Paper and pencil definitely recommended!

Loved them as kids, but never played them with dice. I always read them as books, when going to the next page 😃 I really enjoyed "The Way of the Tiger series." That have done a prequel and sequel to them:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ninja-Way-T...+the+ti&sr=8-2
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Redeemer-Wa...+the+ti&sr=8-4

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Loved them as kids, but never played them with dice. I always read them as books, when going to the next page  I really enjoyed "The Way of the Tiger series." That have done a prequel and sequel to them:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ninja-Way-T...+the+ti&sr=8-2
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Redeemer-Wa...+the+ti&sr=8-4
    Bloody hell, more memories!

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post

They were a great series of games as well for the Spectrum 48K by Gremlin I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just googled some of the covers, and no, they don't. But the covers brought back some memories!
    Just did the same and recognise the covers of City of Thieves and Scorpion Swamp.

I don’t remember anything about them other than the process of playing. I also have a memory of explaining to my Nan how exciting it was to bounce back and forth between the pages and paragraphs of the adventure.

I hope I am not mixing up my memories of the genres!

City of Thieves was one of the hardest to complete, if memory serves.

Just did the same and recognise the covers of City of Thieves and Scorpion Swamp.

I don’t remember anything about them other than the process of playing. I also have a memory of explaining to my Nan how exciting it was to bounce back and forth between the pages and paragraphs of the adventure.

I hope I am not mixing up my memories of the genres!

City of Thieves was one of the hardest to complete, if memory serves.

They were a great series of games as well for the Spectrum 48K by Gremlin I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk