closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Major issue with my Sea Dweller 4000. I really don't know if this can be fixed...

Master

Major issue with my Sea Dweller 4000. I really don't know if this can be fixed...

...it's stopped my watch collecting!!

These past few months, my watch collection hobby massively took a nose-dive. As a lot of you know, I was a serial "flipper". I'd sometimes have watches for very short periods of time and then get rid of them for many different reasons. Sometimes they'd last one month, but this was rare. However, a couple of things happened this year to change all that.

Firstly, I bought a Sea-Dweller 4000. I'd had one before, one of the first in fact, but I bought it at a bad time for me, and moved it on pretty quickly at a loss. I knew the watch was something I'd regret getting rid of, and sure enough, when the time was right, I went about picking up another one.

I've had most of the sports watches at "normal" prices out there. There's been some I've loved, others I've instantly disliked, but very rarely have I come across a watch that feels as if it's been made for me. A watch that wears well and is very versatile. Something that isn't massively flash but still has a little bit of something about it. Something that feels like a quality product, built well enough to withstand many years of wear and tear. Lume and water resistance are also key things, as are comfort and legibility of the hands. Also, I wanted some form of ceramic on the front to avoid scratches; the SD4000 has a crystal that protrudes to further aid this. Its case wears so well. It's comfortable, not too heavy and really goes with anything.

So, is the fact I haven't bought or flipped many watches since buying this a good or a bad thing? I'm still undecided. I used to love flipping and trying all the different watches. Now I have a lot less incentive for this; I think it's actually helped people to see me as sane again It was fun though, and I kind of miss the postman knocking with a packet to open. I've even contemplated selling the SD just so I can go on searching for other watches that really work for me, but I'd probably only end up back at the same watch again!

I'm not saying it's perfect, but I'm extremely happy with it.

Secondly, I bought a "watch" that I absolutely criticised from the beginning. The Apple Watch. I just couldn't see the point of the thing. A computer on your wrist that's an extension of your phone. Where's the necessity for such a device?

However, for work, and work only, this has been a fantastic watch. It helps a lot with various aspects of my day and has saved me a lot of time. It's a product of convenience. I went to London recently and used Apple Pay for all my journeys with no issue. I go to the supermarket and buy small amounts of groceries without faffing for my wallet. I can check diary appointments, reply to messages and I've even had the odd phone conversation around the house when both hands have been needed but I've still wanted to chat. It's brilliant.

Even the short battery life is fine as I charge it on a stand with my iPhone every night anyhow. It's never once been an issue. In fact, it lasted over 12 days recently after going into power saving mode whilst I was away. In this mode it still tells the time, like, well, a watch I guess.

It does tend to be a distraction though, which is why, as a work watch it's fine, but at the weekend and on holiday, I want a mechanical watch instead. I don't want email updates then, or texts. I want peace and a Pina Colada. That's where the Sea Dweller comes in. These two, side by side have really meant I want for nothing else.

I've tried others, such as the Pelagos I created a thread about this morning, but I'm just going to return that. It's a wonderful watch, the new Pelagos, but I just know I'd wear my SD more.

Anyway, that's enough rambling about first world scenarios! Sorry for the waffling!
    Last edited by W44NNE; 4th September 2015 at 22:43.

As U2 said - "I still haven't found what I am looking for" - maybe you have. I am a huge SD fan and the new SD4000 is a superb watch - just love that ceramic bezel insert with the full 60 minute markers.

Maybe it's time to stop flipping and throwing money away and enjoy a superb watch. Personally I am not so sure about the Apple watches. I tend to have banana fingers and struggle enough with the I-phone - but if it works for you that's great.

Journeyman
    I do like that

Nice pictures, but I'm very disappointed to learn that you've decided to hang on to the SD. I was looking forward to relieving you of it.

I've experienced the exact same ''Major issue'' with my 214270 Explorer Wayne..

Recently, every time i get the sudden urge to buy a new watch, i just take a look at whats already on my wrist and the urge just instantly fades away.. it's incredible! :)

Enjoy your SD! :)

Great looking watch and the only modern Sports Rolex I would like to try.. I tried the new Sub, which did not sit well on my 7" wrists, so that went rather quickly! What size wrists do you have Wayne?

Thanks,

Vince

Got to be honest with you, Wayne, having flipped mine for the Moser a while back and still missing it - if I went down to one watch, the SD4000 is the only one I'd think about. It's nothing short of perfect.

I totally understand your feelings about watches after that! It is a stunning all purpose watch! Enjoy it in good health!

Master
    Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Nice pictures, but I'm very disappointed to learn that you've decided to hang on to the SD. I was looking forward to relieving you of it.

Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    I've experienced the exact same ''Major issue'' with my 214270 Explorer Wayne..

Recently, every time i get the sudden urge to buy a new watch, i just take a look at whats already on my wrist and the urge just instantly fades away.. it's incredible! :)

Enjoy your SD! :)
    I loved the Explorer 1 I had. In fact, if I didn't have the SDc, that watch would be high on my list. It's such a good size, which is another reason I love the SDc as it's compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Great looking watch and the only modern Sports Rolex I would like to try.. I tried the new Sub, which did not sit well on my 7" wrists, so that went rather quickly! What size wrists do you have Wayne?

Thanks,

Vince
    I've had modern Subs, but I gave up trying them. They sit too badly on my wrist personally, and it's a shame because they're stunning. My 16610LV takes the Submariner role though and that's not going anywhere. I've had it several years and love that watch.

My wrist is approx 6.75". You know what they say about small wrists. "Small wrists, small watches".

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Got to be honest with you, Wayne, having flipped mine for the Moser a while back and still missing it - if I went down to one watch, the SD4000 is the only one I'd think about. It's nothing short of perfect.
    You?! One watch?! Pffft. I'll believe that when I see it

I dont believe it :)

Does that mean the Pelagos is going back then ;)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I sort of agree with that Tony - and yet because I am not at the stage where I can only have one watch, I feel I don't need to own one at the moment... Does that make sense??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    I dont believe it :)

Does that mean the Pelagos is going back then ;)
    Ahem. :-D

As I've said on other threads about the Sdc. I absolutely love mine. I'm currently a one expensive watch man and couldn't be happier at the moment. In the future I'll only be adding, the Sdc is going nowhere.

Craftsman
    This seems to be a common issue with lovers of SS sports watches on the forum and one that has me thinking long term.

I have 42mm Planet Ocean 8500 which I absolutely adore and was a bit of a grail for me but I know that it's a bit top heavy and I still can't get the perfect fit on the bracelet even with two half links. I only wear it for "best" and at present can't bring myself to even think about letting it go but deep down I know (or think I know) that eventually, sometime in the future, I will have to walk into a Rolex AD and try a Sea Dweller.
    I just don't want to at the moment because I'm still on honeymoon with the PO!

Totally understandable. SD 4000 Is a super watch.

It's a great watch so I can understand your predicament. I must go and try one on again!

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Ahem. :-D
    And the Sinn 104..? 😉

I am looking forward to owning one - I think it would be a great addition to my older SD's.
    It's just a matter of time...