closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How Was Your Summer Holiday?

How Was Your Summer Holiday?

Schools are back and most people have had their summer holiday away. I'm already thinking about the next family holiday, so interested in any feedback from your recent vacation, and whether you recommend it (or not), and if so, how highly (or lowly).

We did a family Californian road trip in August. Non stop, and no more than a couple of days rest at a time, but up there with the best times away we've ever had - 9/10. Would highly recommend it to any semi-adventurous family who can't sit still.

Surprisingly, being a bit creative/flexible with the flights, it was not much more expensive than a couple of posh weeks in the Med.

Not been on mine yet, always go last week of Sept/first week of October.

Off to Atlanta, Nashville & Savannah.

Always book my own way, done it for years and always use vrbo. So much better to do it yourself and a lot better price wise.

Master
    Back to Pollensa in Majorca again for some sunshine ,everything we wanted .

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Same here bud ,tomorrow morning away we go .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Schools are back and most people have had their summer holiday away. I'm already thinking about the next family holiday, so interested in any feedback from your recent vacation, and whether you recommend it (or not), and if so, how highly (or lowly).

We did a family Californian road trip in August. Non stop, and no more than a couple of days rest at a time, but up there with the best times away we've ever had - 9/10. Would highly recommend it to any semi-adventurous family who can't sit still.

Surprisingly, being a bit creative/flexible with the flights, it was not much more expensive than a couple of posh weeks in the Med.
    We did this 2 years ago with the girls (now 19 and 22) we had a fab time and saw some great things.
    We kept a base in Aneheim and worked from there- recommended
    Orlando this year- just as good in other ways - next years gonna be a bit trickier as ones at uni and the other is working in an educational environment - looks like school holiday prices
    They want to retun to Tenerife - a favourite 'family' holiday spot.
    Looks like they'll be coming with us forever - I'm happy with that ;-)

First year we didn't have a summer holiday, one kid had three summer jobs and the other kid had two , and they didn't want to take time off work !
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    One of my favourite places, we usually rent a villa at the base of one of the mountains about 2 mins from the beach. Didn't go this year as we had enough Avios points to fly to Bali for free.

Master
    Wreck diving in the Philippines and sailing a 45' yacht in Greece, pretty frickin awesome tbh! Might do something more laid back later in the year..

Don't dismiss English holidays. Earlier in the year we had 10 days in top resort in Cyprus, and last week a holiday in Cornwall, which was every bit as good – with better beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Don't dismiss English holidays. Earlier in the year we had 10 days in top resort in Cyprus, and last week a holiday in Cornwall, which was every bit as good – with better beaches.
    thats right bruv and theres no language barrier innit bruv. unless you go north of darlington of course.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Had a couple of weeks in Rome in May

Our 6th holiday there I think

The interesting bits remain interesting however the beggars are either becoming more aggressive or we are just getting grumpier

Might give it a miss for a while now

Off to Gibraltar for four days week after next - never been before so thought we'd give it a try

Picking up a motorhome next week so might have some holidays in that next year. I quite fancy driving it up to Norway

N....N....N....NUUUUUUUUUURRRRSSSE!!!

Master
    Off to Ibiza next week, first beach holiday with our 2 year old daughter, which should be fun! We are still making the most of being able to travel outside school holidays, so have had a week in Cuba in May and a week in the Bulgarian mountains in early July so far. Cuba was really good, if you are thinking of going, go ASAP before the yanks arrive en masse.

First week in August Crete couples only "resort" sunny hot and ok. 2 weeks back and family (6 of us) villa on coast near Bordaux. First weekend in October North Devon caravan for yearly autumn surf holiday. All good.

Had 2 weeks in southern Spain
    Been for the last few years
    Need a change now I think

NYC, Catskills, Cape Cod, Boston….epic in every sense. But then it's always amazing in the USA.

To the OP, they are but a distant memory now (2 months ago). It's a tough life here up north.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Looks like they'll be coming with us forever - I'm happy with that ;-)
    I'm glad to hear that. I hope ours continue to want to come with us on holiday in a few years (our girls are now 17 and 13), if nothing else for a cost-free few weeks away.

Journeyman
    Managed to sync it with the only three week sunny & warm period we had this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    thats right bruv and theres no language barrier innit bruv. unless you go north of darlington of course.

Ah, Darlo, the deep south....... tha naars hinny
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Not too bad, we have just had a week in Santillana Del Mar in northern Spain, arrived last Sunday, glorious weather, M-T-W-T-F it pissed it down! Currently sitting in the queue to board the Santander ship back to Portsmouth and the sun is beating down as I type. Get off the boat tomorrow night then a 2 hour drive home. We have had a good holiday even with the weather so no grumbles.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had two weeks in France for the Le Man race in June utterly brilliant. Going to Marrakesh in Nov break up the dark cold nights a bit, then 16nights in the Caribbean cruising along with a couple of nights on Ocean drive in March. Back to Le Man in June, just love holidays

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Not too bad, we have just had a week in Santillana Del Mar in northern Spain, arrived last Sunday, glorious weather, M-T-W-T-F it pissed it down! Currently sitting in the queue to board the Santander ship back to Portsmouth and the sun is beating down as I type. Get off the boat tomorrow night then a 2 hour drive home. We have had a good holiday even with the weather so no grumbles.
    That’s a shame about the weather you had. We spent 3 weeks touring Northern Spain on a bike and arrived back a fortnight ago, although the locals were complaining that it was unseasonably cool we never saw rain throughout the time (bar one day).

You’ll be seeing this shortly then:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The Lake District for three nights, great fun. And I had some very good tips from you lot on the thread I started here. In fact I liked the Hardknott and Wrynose passes I went over them twice in Brian the Subaru.

Majorca in May was great,Florida in October to come

I had a week cycling across South of France with cycling mates. Then back to work for a week before our usual 2 weeks in the French Alps where we have an apartment. Not such a good year there this year, cold and rainy every other day. Weather can be a bit pot luck in the Alps in August. We've had 2 weeks of unbroken 35 degree sunshine once but another time 2 weeks of sub 5 degrees with rain and sleet the entire time. Still, plenty to do there even if weather poor. Leisure centre at Val d'Isere is great.

Master
    I never go on holiday when the kids are off school. I bloody hate kids.

Going to Zakynthos next week for a couple of weeks in the sun. Can't wait!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    That’s a shame about the weather you had. We spent 3 weeks touring Northern Spain on a bike and arrived back a fortnight ago, although the locals were complaining that it was unseasonably cool we never saw rain throughout the time (bar one day).

R
    Lol Ralphy, exactly so! (nice bike)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Lol Ralphy, exactly so! (nice bike)

Mallorca for the cycling with friends in April and just back from Venice with the girlfriend, fab hol, amazing place:

Master
    Another Majorca holiday here.
    First time I've been. Cash was tight and i'm not big on flying, so it worked out well for us.

Playa De Muro right up at the top of the island, lovely place.

I definitely wouldn't want to go all inclusive every time, but you can't complain at not much over £1000 for two adults and a 3 year old for a week in the sun, all the food, drink and entertainment paid for.

We are due our next child in January so it'll be a while until the next Kojak vacation, we are now thinking about hiring a villa for 3-4 weeks in Florida and doing all the attractions, maybe inviting out some of the family to spend a week with us. It'll be a good 3 years until that one sadly.

Master
    2 weeks in SE Sicily for us, same as last year. Hot, hot, hot

The beach was like this most of the time...

The locals do a lot of this...

And I like a bit of Montalbano hunting...

I have just returned from a month in Europe, mainly northern France, Germany, the south of Switzerland and Sardinia. It hurts a little being back, and gosh it's a lot colder here!

Craftsman
    We had a nice time in Cape Verde earlier this year.... now looking to go to The Gambia for a week or so in November.....

Not a lot in CV we stayed in Santa Maria on Sal island. Nice hotel, good food, good weather, nice beach, we just wanted to relax, eat and drink....

Just cruisin' the interweb now for The Gambia...

Rgds

V

Craftsman
    Two Folk festivals, one Blues festival all with added days around them, plus a week in Devon with mates. All UK based, and generally nice weather. Knackering but magical!

Master
    Although not as planned, ended up doing nearly 4 weeks in Turkey this year.....

10 nights at the Hilton in Sarigerme in May - 17 of us

14 nights at the Sensatori in Side in August - just me, the wife and our son aged 6

Great time at both, fantastic weather, food, drink and hotels and being all inclusive no money to worry about whilst you're there.

First holiday in 2 years. Managed 5 days away - was ill for 4 of them.

Deluged with emails from people who seemingly couldn't do without me - luckily, crap phone / data coverage ensured they got bored after a while.

Back to work with the lesson : don't go on holiday unless everyone else is away too.

Tobago in May and then Malta in August.

I can recommend both of them particularly Malta. We stayed in Valletta this time, it is the second time to Malta, seriously considering going there again next spring.

Master
    A weeks guided mountain biking in the Alps. One of the most stunningly beautiful, terrifying and exhilarating holidays I've ever had!

Last edited by warns74; 9th September 2015 at 12:36.

Journeyman
    Great

Blog Entries
    Some lovley sounding holidays

1 week in East Runton - family trip in a static van - new to North Norfolk and loved it!
    1 week in Tuscany with my cousins + family - very hot but lovely
    1 week in Burgundy with all my brothers and sisters + family (22 in total) - brilliant and has been very year for the lat 15 years!
    1 long weekend with wife and kids at festival number 6 - mind blowingly awesome it was too
    Off somewhere (not yet booked) with a mate of mine next week for 3 days as I we both have a few days leave to use up and our wives don't :-)