closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I've only gone and picked up a Smurf

Master

I've only gone and picked up a Smurf

I've been on the look-out for a new watch for a while. The Pelagos was on my "radar" but the debate between two-liner and in-house movement was putting me off. Cleaner dial or more value for money with the new movement? I just couldn't decide with photos.

However, walking past a jeweller yesterday, I saw the Blue Pelagos in the window and was surprised how nice it looked. It was next to the older black model and I noticed there's around £200 difference (newer model more expensive at £3020), which seemed reasonable in the year 2015 IMO.

So I had a try of the watch, thinking the black version must still be "it" for me, but it just wasn't. The Blue one really stood out. I even tried a Blue Black Bay just to compare and the Blue Pelagos was just so much nicer than I thought it would be. The hue they've used really suits the colour of the Grade 5 Titanium, which tends to have a more steely finish to it.

I've got the option to return the watch so I've only been placing it on my wrist to get the gist of if I like it enough to keep it, but I'm thinking I'm sold on it. You really don't notice the dial text. Photos are never a good way to see these things as they just allow us to focus on things we simply don't really look at in reality. The main thing for me was the hue of the blue, and if I wanted the new or old version. I feel the lack of the 3 'o clock marker balances the dial better than the old model, and of course I must like the blue as I can't stop looking at it :-D

I'd seen the new models at Basel this year, but Tudor's ridiculous spotlights clearly didn't do any justice to their new models at all. It looks so much different in natural light. The blue goes from Navy to a kind of Royal blue, and is obviously the same as the White Gold Submariner more or less.

The old Pelagos didn't work enemy collection as the black model was too close in colour scheme to most of the other watches I've ever owned. The Blue model is totally different though and would work well in most collections I am sure. If you're still unsure about the dial text vs. movement options like I was, I can only suggest to visit a store and see the watch in reality, as it looks different in every photo I've seen.

The lume is as good as ever. Nuts. It lasts right through the night, and of course you have the lumped bezel as well. The 70 hour power reserve is great as it means I won't necessarily have to wind it from powered down, and I can just grab it and go more.

Here's a quick iPhone shot...

Master
    Looks a bit less showy in that light - reckon I need to see one for myself.

Any more floating about Trafford or anywhere?

Master
    Need to see one in the flesh to decide blue/black but i prefer the newer model with the in house movement.

The thing i really like is how comfortable this is on the wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Looks a bit less showy in that light - reckon I need to see one for myself.

Any more floating about Trafford or anywhere?
    I rang around after I spotted this to try and find a deal but just went back to this store in the end :-D There's loads around at the moment though. Manchester stores such as Goldsmiths have them. There seems to have been an initial batch delivery very recently. Just call up first but I'm sure you'll find one.

Congratulations on being one of the first to pick one up.

I have the first generation but almost held out for one of these, in the end I chose the original as I am not sure I could get on with the text on the dial, I will have to see one in the metal; never say never.

Never been a fan of Tudor but that looks great

Why so many manufacturers insist on a paragraph of writing above the 6 is beyond me?!

The blue Pelagos and Mido Commander Calibre 80 are a couple of new watches that on paper I've been impressed with, the blue Pelagos looks like a great tool watch and is at a price point where Rolex were a few years ago.

Nice pictures, not seen one of these IRL, I'd keep the watch, text doesn't make the dial look too busy, retail price is what you'll probably have to pay until these hit the pre-owned market.

I haven't had a Titanium watch before as I don't usually like the finish or colour, but that does look more 'steely'.
    You're also right about how photos can make the bits of a watch stick out more so than they would on the wrist, so I'm sure the text isn't really an issue.
    Plus it's always good to have a blue watch in the collection to break things up a bit.
    All in all, a nice pick up. Enjoy!

Master
    I just tried one of these on in Charles Fox in Bournemouth. The blue is very nice. I also liked the extra thickness of the newer version. Can't say the text bothered me either!

They also had a North Flag in there which I was very impressed with - the pictures I have seen up to now really don't do it justice.

Nice watch and I like the bright blue its a change to the usual shiny dark navy, looks fresh

Master
    Some of the photos I've seen of the blue Palagos have made the blue look too bright. It looks really good in your photo, I like it.

On a bonus note, I had my AD put the blue rubber strap on a Blackbay and it fitted perfectly so there is a solution for all the Blue Blackbay owners who were looking for a decent rubber strap.

I saw one that had been ordered in Harrogate the other day, they showed me because I just wanted to check out the colour, I must admit that your photo reproduces it better than most I have seen, It did look a bit "Leggo" coloured in most of the previous promotional photos I had seen but was much nicer in real life. Like yours, I think that it looks stunning and needs to be seen in the flesh to appreciate it.

Master
    I really liked the original Pelagos when I saw the pictures; then I actually tried one on quite a while ago and didn't get on with it. But I kept looking at them thinking I must try one to see if I actually get on with owning one. Picked one up off SC recently and really like it.

The pictures I have seen so far of the blue Pelagos have really not done anything for me - it just looks far too blue. However, your pictures tone this right down so I will need to have a look when I see one in a local AD. Not sure I will prefer it over the old or new black version but it may be a grower.

Love the look of it and intrigued about the blue / black debate as I also thought I'd prefer black but the blue does stand out.

A bit OT but are Tudor planning to put their new movement in the Black Bay?

Enjoy mate (if it sits well) but much as I try I cannot get away from black dials - the rest just are not 'me'
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    If your photo depicts the blue fairly accurately then I'm a fan!
    Previous photos I've seen make it look comedy bright.

I'm not too bothered either way by the dial text but I actually prefer the smal 3 marker next to the date window

Still really enjoying my older version. They're a good all day watch

I saw one of these yesterday alongside the old version. What really stood out for me was the spacing of the text, it seemed very odd and looked like it had 'fallen' to the bottom of the markers. Why they did not raise it a tad I don't understand as the balance of the look would have been more in proportion to the dial.

Like it

It's a nice variant away from black
    Good value too
    I need to try one as worried they would feel a big light due to the bracelet material

Tudor do have some great design and clout combos

Enjoy it and hope it's a keeper for you in the medium term