closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Montblanc Héritage chronométrie super slim - poor man's Geophysic?

Montblanc Héritage chronométrie super slim - poor man's Geophysic?

Montblanc Héritage Chronométrie super slim. 38mm x 5.8mm thick, handwinding, just under 2000 euros list. Could be a poor man's geophysic or Master Contol?

I rather like it.

Also available in rose gold (5,900 euros) as an auto, with date (2,500 euros), but the steel, no date on a strap is the most handsome in my view.

If anyone is reaching for the keyboard to type 'Montblanc, don't they make biros, LOL', don't bother, it's been done before.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Montblanc Héritage Chronométrie super slim. 38mm x 5.8mm thick, handwinding, just under 2000 euros list. Could be a poor man's geophysic or Master Contol?

I rather like it.

Also available in rose gold (5,900 euros) as an auto, with date (2,500 euros), but the steel, no date on a strap is the most handsome in my view.

If anyone is reaching for the keyboard to type 'Montblanc, don't they make biros, LOL', don't bother, it's been done before.
    I think it's extremely elegant and a great price for a decent dress watch. It clearly has a strong JLC influence (unsurprisingly) but that is a good thing. I am looking forward to seeing it in the metal.

Something very similar was suggested last night in the other thread on this watch. It's a good movement in a decently-priced watch, and if it really does undergo a 500 hour test, and is chronometer-rated, then even better. The one thing that gets in the way is the name (as you so amusingly alluded to in your post). However, attaching the #poorman 'tag to anything is a bit of a personal bête noire. Based on design, price ($2,000), movement and performance, I'd say it was a good think in its own right, and certainly doesn't need the 'tag to justify consideration.

I'd say that it's a more coherent design than the new Geophysic, which is really nothing special.

But for that style of watch around that price, I much prefer Nomos.

It is indeed a handsome thing. Is it a Peseux 7001 or similar? Would I spend 2000Eur on it? Nope. Do I like it? Yep.

Simplicity is a good thing.

Nice, simple, elegant dress watch.
    But I'd rather get my watch from a watch manufacture and I'd leave MB to the leaky pens

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Something very similar was suggested last night in the other thread on this watch...
    Oops, didn't notice that.

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    But I'd rather get my watch from a watch manufacture and I'd leave MB to the leaky pens
    Whilst the OP specifically asked for these comments not to be made... I agree with them. It's a very attractive watch, but I'd sooner have a Nomos or even a Frederique Constant.

I also realise that I am a brand snob. So be it.

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    MB *is* a manufacture.

MB *is* a manufacture.
    So they are, I stand corrected, although their marketing spiel is misleading, from their own history timeline the company was formed in 1906 and started making watches in 1997.
    the 1858 date refers to the factory that MB bought out, as far as I can make out anyway.

Not really that important really, still a nice watch and does have a JLC or even PP vibe to it

I said it in the other thread, but I actually prefer this to the Nomos Orion which surprises me. A part of me is put off by the name but I don't actually know why that is!

I like the look of the watch, I like the movement. That's enough for me.

^^^
    Not for me, the Ford Nomos Orion, doesn't do it for me, not sure why as I generally like classic sub-seconds dial watches

I like the Orion but, by the time they've expanded it to 38mm, the seconds sub-dial sits too close to the centre. The datum version is better balanced but no quick set date on a manual-wind - what a faff!

MB *is* a manufacture
    Yeah, there's heritage right there. Pen company buys watch company, talks about 150 years of watchmaking.

I realise that Breguet needed Lemania, Breitling needed Kalek and most of Richemont needed Ebauches Fleurier to become 'manufactures' but they were watch companies becoming watch manufactures due to market demands and Swatch removing access to ETA movements.

MB just doesn't sit right with me.

I really like that! About £1400 quid before discount.It seems that Richemont has decided to use to Montblanc as their entry brand in the £1500-2500 price bracket with some really nice watches .A tier down from the IWC/JLC/Cartier and they are really pushing the brand with nice watches at interesting price points. I have a Montblanc pen,belt and wallet perhaps i would add a watch to that now as well.

Price and heritage aside, the Geophysic wins out of the two for me, and there would be one or two Nomos that I'd put in front of the MB as well.
    The Geophysic has a more versatile aesthetic and for a pure dress watch I wouldn't chose Arabic numerals.

MB are starting to make some interesting designs now, at not too outrageous prices. As Omega and co move upwards price-wise, someone needs to fill the void with credible alternatives. They have quite a range now and I love the look (but maybe not the size) of their Timewalker models.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    MB are starting to make some interesting designs now, at not too outrageous prices. As Omega and co move upwards price-wise, someone needs to fill the void with credible alternatives. They have quite a range now and I love the look (but maybe not the size) of their Timewalker models.
    Indeed. In no small part due I suspect to the move from JLC to MB a few years ago of Jerome Lambert... A gentleman who did great things at JLC and is clearly having a considerable design influence at MB. Part of a wider Richemont strategy I suspect.

I quite like it. MB not having a huge heritage in watch making doesnt bother me one bit, as long as they make good quality watches at a decent price.
    This will be a real catch when they come to the secondary market.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I like the Orion but, by the time they've expanded it to 38mm, the seconds sub-dial sits too close to the centre. The datum version is better balanced but no quick set date on a manual-wind - what a faff!
    There is a quick set, albeit it still require some winding back and forth (move time back to 11.45 ish and the date mechanism activates, and wind ahead to 12.15 ish, and it deactivates - repeat).

Journeyman
    I'm a Rolex man by far, but this I like, it's a nice dress watch

I really like this watch from what I've read. I also think MB has become a name in its own right in watch making so I would be more than happy to wear one and think it's above quite a few of the Swiss manufactures, in my opinion :)

Does anyone know if all Montblanc watches are now made in the old Minerva factory in Villeret or is it only the manufacture models?

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    There is a quick set, albeit it still require some winding back and forth (move time back to 11.45 ish and the date mechanism activates, and wind ahead to 12.15 ish, and it deactivates - repeat).
    I'm aware of that but it's not quick set in my book!

I really like the elegant simplicity of this design and in the main only possess watches - both mechanical and quartz - that are COSC certified/capable. However, I'm not sure if I could mentally cope with the idea of a 'chronométrie' which lacked a seconds hand.

Master

Montblanc Héritage chronométrie super slim - poor man's Geophysic?

As mentioned in the other thread, a nice watch at a sensible price and size, and a good reason - along with their moonphase - to get over the lingering feeling that Montblanc isn't really a watch brand. With their recent aquisition I suppose they are and we should get used to it, but it's a hard to rethink a brand in your mind. It is possible though - for a long time Omega was the cheaper version, and who thinks that now? Dior actually make some quite attractive watches too, but the fashion link is still a step too far for me. With Montblanc the attractive designs and prices, combined with the Minerva history might just win me over.

On the thread title though, surely it's an affordable JLC master thin 38, rather than Geophysic?
    Last edited by Itsguy; 30th August 2015 at 22:19.