closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fake or real !!

Fake or real !!

Goodevening everyone !
    I have what many may see as a stupid question ! And some may see it as a reasonable question ...... However it is a question I am willing to ask ,.
    Anyway are there any quiidelines to follow when telling a fake from the real deal ? And are there any good resources out there to help ? .
    Many thanks James

Here you go LINKY

Craftsman
    If you are asking in regards to a specific watch then the best thing to do is post a picture and ask the forum. Fakes range from the absurd to the almost perfect and there are plenty of experts here who are willing to help.

Craftsman
    Sorry, but I do not understand your post

Do your research (Google is your friend) and if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

Blog Entries
    If the seller is called "Del Boy Trotter", you need to be careful, it's probably a fake..............

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennycaribbean View Post
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    If the seller is called "Del Boy Trotter", you need to be careful, it's probably a fake..............

Daddel.
    Unless of course it's the Harrison 'lesser watch'

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tazio View Post
    Goodevening everyone !
    I have what many may see as a stupid question ! And some may see it as a reasonable question ...... However it is a question I am willing to ask ,.
    Anyway are there any quiidelines to follow when telling a fake from the real deal ? And are there any good resources out there to help ? .
    Many thanks James
    Research the seller. If the seller is trustworthy he will not sell a fake, a stolen watch, a franken, a redial, etc. Don't buy from random people and you should be fine.

It's all research. Trawl forums, buy the seller, if it's too much of a bargain to be true then it's always a dud. Put photos up on forums like this asking for clarification, the WIS community is more savvy than most salesmen.
    Of course to be 100%, buy from an AD.

Some tells will be largely dependent on the make and model. For example, "happy feet" on Omegas. However some things will come with experience from seeing enough examples of fakes and reals, the fit and finish becomes much more apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennycaribbean View Post
    Which part of his question do you not understand???

For me it is clear....

But to give some better help, it would help us if we know about what watch we are talking about.... and who is offering it!

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Here you go LINKY
    I haven't seen this before, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Here you go LINKY
    Good stuff there

Quote Originally Posted by dannywalker39 View Post
    Good stuff there
    It really isn't - it facile nonsense for people looking at $20 looky-looky watches.

The fakes on RWI are frighteningly accurate, and the fact they all reckon that they are not made to fool people into parting with their cash is just an outright lie. They exist to deceive; to own one is simply to deceive.

I think the chap is referring by 'stuff' to the information in the link, not fakes themselves ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    It really isn't - it facile nonsense for people looking at $20 looky-looky watches.

The fakes on RWI are frighteningly accurate, and the fact they all reckon that they are not made to fool people into parting with their cash is just an outright lie. They exist to deceive; to own one is simply to deceive.
    Your first point - wrong; some replicas are worth considerably more than $200 and very few would be valued at $20 or less, even as legitimate homages.

Your second point - also wrong. The main market for sellers of replicas is the replica community itself, which is why sites like RWI exist - so that people can know exactly what they get for their cash - and members there do share feedback openly.

Your main objection of course is that you personally disapprove of them. That's a different matter, and essentially one of personal taste. I'm sure you could find a way to take issue with replica watches that wasn't specious.

Wasnt there the case of a Rolex AD who was selling fakes? Somewhere in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    ... The main market for sellers of replicas is the replica community itself ...
    The main market for replica watches are the wannabes, frauds and scammers, and only after that a tiny 'replica' community who enjoys tinkering with watches. Please do not insult people intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Your first point - wrong; some replicas are worth considerably more than $200 and very few would be valued at $20 or less, even as legitimate homages.

Your second point - also wrong. The main market for sellers of replicas is the replica community itself, which is why sites like RWI exist - so that people can know exactly what they get for their cash - and members there do share feedback openly.

Your main objection of course is that you personally disapprove of them. That's a different matter, and essentially one of personal taste. I'm sure you could find a way to take issue with replica watches that wasn't specious.
    'Legitamate homages'? No, they are fakes. And I object to fakes, absolutely. I believe the people who wear them to be dishonest, disingenuous and effectively liars.

Of course you don't, you're one of them. Why would I take anything you say seriously or even at face value? You're dishonest because you wear fake watches. Perhaps you're simply deluded, not sure if that's better.

My first point - the facile original article points the way to spot the real cheapies, not the really accurate fakes which you guys covet for such noble reasons (care to name any? Of course not). A shame that countless hundreds are ripped off everyday by your compatriots selling the most authentic looking fakes as real watches.

Please don't insult everyone again by insisting this doesn't happen either, eh?

Fake watch, fake person. If the cap fits... Maybe just stop promoting them on this site. Fake owners/collectors are liars, if unsuspecting people are lucky, it's only to themselves.

Have a nice evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    Wasnt there the case of a Rolex AD who was selling fakes? Somewhere in the USA?

I know about Omegamania and fakes/frankens over there, apparently accepted by Omega...

Meh..
    Last edited by VDG; 21st August 2015 at 00:43.

Wow, what we just needed- another replica/fake/homage battle.