closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Granite worktop, how to get rid of water marks?

Blog Entries

Granite worktop, how to get rid of water marks?

Howdy folks, we recently had a new black granite worktop fitted in our kitchen but noticed over the last week we seem to have picked up some water marks that I can't shift. It seems the fitter never sealed the top, and so I've got some care to do to get it back to new.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove these mark and also recommend me a decent granite sealer.

Cheers in advance.

Rightly or wrongly, in the past I've used a car polishing/buffing machine on my granite floor which brought the tiles up lovely.

Can't remember a sealant being put on my worktop, and it's never got any watermarks (could be something they do in the workshop after cutting to size?)

It can be cleaned using warm soapy ph neutral water with a soft cloth.

Master
    We use standard water sealer to seal ours, and it seems to work.

Surely any marks would just be due to hardness in the water ? Ecozone descaler should remove any deposits
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    No unfortunately these are not surface marks, these have penetrative the worktop so no amount of polishing/wiping I've done so far won't shift them. I need to get something that can soak them up so to say.

I'll take some pics tonight when I get back from work.

Journeyman
    Water marks or ring marks in Nero granite is one of the industries mysteries as often there is no reason why one house gets the and another doesn't.

It is always good practice to seal the tops although many internet companies who buy prefabed runs ie 3000x700 pre polished blanks don't as they are supposedly sealed prior to packaging.

Try soaking a cloth in soapy water and put it in micro till too hot to handle and leave on the top as a poltice. Alternatively buy some sealer from a tile store or somewhere like b & q, I find sealer is a very good cleaner.do not use any abrasive creams or such like.

If you get the mark out buy a granite care kit from eBay or suchlike give them a seal or polish, home base also sell a great product in a wee black bottle called something like aspro which is a very good range.

Also I've found scented cleaners can leave residue as can certain dishwater tablets so investigate changing types of it continues to happen.

Speak to the company that sold the tops to you, they may also have help from their experiences with granite from a specific company.

Ivw been fitting for 9 years now and there's still no exact procedure to marks, normally trial and error. One good thing is that even on their own timescale they usually disappear of their own accord ( even if it takes a while).

Cheers

I've got the same sort of tops ,they should of been sealed before they left the factory,if you get water marks and a build up of lime use a new Stanley knife blade and scrape it off,make sure it's new with not rough edges on

Master
    My friend has the Assoluto Nero black granite and has suffered from the same thing. He resorted to a high quality car window cleaner to get them off and then he wipes over with Isopropyl. Personally I would probably follow that up with a disinfecting wipe myself. Always best to check the contents of these chemical solutions but some soapy water, a good spongeand some elbow grease should surely be adequate.

I had a similar problem with a marble top and I bought three or four different products on ebay that promised to soak up the source of the stain. I first tested them on a spare piece of the marble. I simulated the stain with a combination of nasty liquids left there overnight. One of the products worked a treat. Left for a few hours, it literally seemed to pull up the moisture, absorb it and remove all traces once wiped off. I am afraid I can't remember what the product was, but form memory I think it was a rather pricey German made product. My suggestion would be to try and experiment with a few products on a spare piece of the granite you want to treat, which you should easily be able to source from the original seller. Then see if any of them does the trick.

You may find that the sealer will darken the worktop slightly and this helps to hide some of the water marks, try to buy some and test it on a small area that can't be seen or is out of your line of sight. Occasionally we get marks in our quartz worktop, a good clean with a micro fibre cloth and some warm soapy water normally does the trick. Have you tried a magic eraser cleaning pad? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20X-Magic-...item51d5f3dbad

These are really handy. What kind of finish do you have, polished, leathered, honed?

If it is an oily mark you can use K2R dry cleaning spray, this will soak any oily residue out of the porous material, spray it over the offending area, leave for a few hours then vacuum it off. We use this on mucky footprints or oily/suncream stains on teak decks.

Master
    It’s more likely not water but grease of some kind.
    It could also be a residue from the adhesive used by the fitters
    I have a very porous type of granite worktop and splash back. A week or two after fitting, dark spots appeared on the splash back (residue from adhesive Used by installers) and I had to apply an acetone poultice- essentially a solvent (acetone) and an absorbent medium (paper towels)to draw out the grease or mark. There are videos on YouTube. You have to apply it, seal it with-polythene and tape it and leave it for 24 hours. You may have to repeat the process a couple of times but it works. Be careful, acetone is very flammable so ensure no sources of heat or ignition (electrical sources) are present.
    When complete use a good quality granite sealer and re apply every six months. I use Lithofin Stain stop.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comments, needless to say since starting this thread we have moved house and have a lovely non-porous quartz worktop now

White vinegar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    White vinegar
    I thought that's the last thing you would put on granite or marble