closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Memovox Repair Advice

Memovox Repair Advice

A work colleague has a rather nice mid-60s, white dial Memovox. He bought it about three years ago from Mapin & Webb but of course their warranty has expired.
    From the sounds and feel of the heavy clunking when the watch is turned on any axis, it would appear that the rotor has decided to become "semi-detached."

Anyone care to make a recommendation as who might be best to look at this vintage piece? Let's assume it would also benefit from a service.
    Independent or back to JLC/Richemont?

Thanks in advance for suggestions - I thought I would ask as I'm not familiar with the brand or vintage watches.

Cheers

David

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    A work colleague has a rather nice mid-60s, white dial Memovox. He bought it about three years ago from Mapin & Webb but of course their warranty has expired.
    From the sounds and feel of the heavy clunking when the watch is turned on any axis, it would appear that the rotor has decided to become "semi-detached."

Anyone care to make a recommendation as who might be best to look at this vintage piece? Let's assume it would also benefit from a service.
    Independent or back to JLC/Richemont?

Thanks in advance for suggestions - I thought I would ask as I'm not familiar with the brand or vintage watches.

Cheers

David
    JLC will be very expensive and they receive a lot of bad press about their servicing department.
    However, the question is whether an independent can source the parts that will be required...

Grand Master
    Brendan (Webwatchmaker) might be a candidate for this one, it's way out of my league.

JLC, old watch, parts availability.........scary!

Paul

Master
    Parts availability apart, early Memovox aren't complex, are they?

Thank you Paul and Bernard.

I'll mention the options and your points to my colleague. At the moment I think he's inclined to send it back to Mappin & Webb, despite my warnings of a hefty repair bill via Richemont. I remember reading about some issues with Richemont based servicing, so I'm inclined to suggesting an independent. But it's not my watch. Or money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Parts availability apart, early Memovox aren't complex, are they?
    Well, I think there is enough going on under the dial...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Well, I think there is enough going on under the dial...
    Before the calibre 911, JLC alarms were comparatively simple and no more high end than AS, for example, (whose alarm movements have probably been used by more manufacturers than any other) and pre-911 movements don't have the reputation of being any more difficult to work on than AS.

Are you absolutely sure that's not the sound of a bumper rotor? My Memovox from the same period makes a sound not unlike your description. It's distinctive but entirely normal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Are you absolutely sure that's not the sound of a bumper rotor? My Memovox from the same period makes a sound not unlike your description. It's distinctive but entirely normal.
    Correct - the Memovox dos not have a rotor; it's powered by a bumper movement. This may well be what the OP is referring to, although it would be surprising if he hadn't noticed this before in three years of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Before the calibre 911, JLC alarms were comparatively simple and no more high end than AS, for example, (whose alarm movements have probably been used by more manufacturers than any other) and pre-911 movements don't have the reputation of being any more difficult to work on than AS.
    True, but no matter how you look at it: they have more parts than let's say an ETA 6497...
    Compared to a Patek Grande Complication they are very simple ;-)

It is all a matter of perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Correct - the Memovox dos not have a rotor; it's powered by a bumper movement. This may well be what the OP is referring to, although it would be surprising if he hadn't noticed this before in three years of ownership.
    Thank you both.

I've checked with the owner, the clunking sound is definitely a new occurrence. Previously he had heard/felt the rotor turning normally. As he's not wearing the watch, I've not had the opportunity to have another look at it to establish model number etc. but he's mentioned it's from 1968, if that helps to narrow down the likely movement.

The good news for the owner, is because of his existing relationship with Mappin & Webb, they have agreed to cover any repairs under warranty. That's likely to have saved him several pretty pennies, which is handy as his car also died this week.

Blog Entries
    A free service? That's nice. I just read about a Memovox being serviced by JLC. It took a year and cost just shy of GBP1000.

Master
    Previously he had heard/felt the rotor turning normally.
    Just to be clear, there is no rotor:

https://omegaforums.net/attachments/...ent-jpg.14474/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    A free service? That's nice. I just read about a Memovox being serviced by JLC. It took a year and cost just shy of GBP1000.
    Thanks Yonsson - I have a feeling that money he saved on the watch will go to the car repair. A year's wait though is outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Just to be clear, there is no rotor:

https://omegaforums.net/attachments/...ent-jpg.14474/
    Thanks for the link, although I'm not able to confirm the precise model from the owner. He's no WIS but I'm sure he's able to discern the difference between a manual wind and auto.

I'll see if I can get some more details from him.

Thanks

David

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Brendan (Webwatchmaker) might be a candidate for this one, it's way out of my league.

JLC, old watch, parts availability.........scary!

Paul
    I just this morning received a watch which was my grandfather's back from Brendan. It was in a terrible state and he has done the most extraordinary restoration. He also beautifully repaired and restored a pocket watch for me. I'm going to do before and afters on both at some point but his work and knowledge is, in my experience, absolutely outstanding.

I know he knows Memovox very well as he is going to service mine and we discussed them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Yonsson - I have a feeling that money he saved on the watch will go to the car repair. A year's wait though is outrageous.

Thanks for the link, although I'm not able to confirm the precise model from the owner. He's no WIS but I'm sure he's able to discern the difference between a manual wind and auto.

I'll see if I can get some more details from him.

Thanks

David
    A bumper movement is automatic, but still doesn't have a rotor.

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    Ouch. I've got some thinking to do then!