closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why don't all watches have drilled lugs?

Master

Why don't all watches have drilled lugs?

I hate (and therefore avoid) removing straps or bracelets because I am ham fisted and always manage to scratch the lugs.

It's untidy and slightly crude looking I suppose. I certainly wouldn't want them on some of my watches.

Master
    [QUOTE=EdHughes1;3606424]I hate (and therefore avoid) removing straps or bracelets because I am ham fisted and always manage to scratch the lugs

Why not just cut a small piece of insulation tape and stick this to the underside of the lugs when you are changing straps and bracelets, provides the perfect cheap and easy lug protection just like a woolly hat

It is certainly very convinient but would not look good on all watches.
    I also hate difficult to remove bracelets and straps. Why make it so difficult? And, hate HEx screws too and double lug screws.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EdHughes1 View Post
    I hate (and therefore avoid) removing straps or bracelets because I am ham fisted and always manage to scratch the lugs.

Evidently Rolex done some sort of study and found out that only 3% of owners used drilled lugs to remove bracelets. The other 97% just left them on or used the dealer to change them.

Therefore to tidy up the appearance, they elected to go "non hole".

I would have preferred the holes to have been left in but in all honesty, I have never removed a bracelet.

Regards

Mick

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Because it makes polishing the sides of the watch more difficult and time consuming. Seriously.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    It's untidy and slightly crude looking I suppose. I certainly wouldn't want them on some of my watches.
    That's a fair point - I suppose I was thinking of divers and other so-called 'sports' watches as that's the type I tend to wear.

Banned

Because very few consumers know what they are for and manufacturing a watch with drilled lugs is more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is certainly very convinient but would not look good on all watches.
    I also hate difficult to remove bracelets and straps. Why make it so difficult? And, hate HEx screws too and double lug screws.
    Then only buy watches that are properly made. Don't buy stuff you hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Evidently Rolex done some sort of study and found out that only 3% of owners used drilled lugs to remove bracelets. The other 97% just left them on or used the dealer to change them.

Therefore to tidy up the appearance, they elected to go "non hole".

I would have preferred the holes to have been left in but in all honesty, I have never removed a bracelet.

Regards

Mick
    Nothing new here, the fact that 97% of Rolex owners don't know their rear end from their elbow is well known...

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    Because it makes polishing the sides of the watch more difficult and time consuming. Seriously.
    True, This is why most manufacturers don't bother. Why do it, when the average punter will pay absurd amounts for the watch anyway?
    Last edited by GrandS; 12th August 2015 at 20:09.

Blog Entries
    Because drilled holes would look absurd on some - like this one:

Craftsman
    I'm glad they don't because that would truly spoil certain models!

Just put some masking tape on the lugs and you'll avoid the scratches

Why don't all women have big t*ts?

Apprentice
    Actually, I've recently been wondering why there aren't more of the easy to remove straps with the spring bar 'handle' like on my Fossil. Takes all of, ooh, 0.5 seconds to remove the strap.

Some Christopher Wards use them I believe...

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Actually, I've recently been wondering why there aren't more of the easy to remove straps with the spring bar 'handle' like on my Fossil. Takes all of, ooh, 0.5 seconds to remove the strap.

Bradystraps use a similar quick release tool-free springbar. It is quite convenient.

I've recently been wondering why there aren't more of the easy to remove straps with the spring bar 'handle' like on my Fossil.
    The only springbar that's ever failed on me has been one of these. That's probably why.

Flippin' easy to change straps when using them though.

Master
    Know what you mean! Marked my watch doing mine never to be attempted again!!!

Master

I don't believe CW use them now either, probably for the faillure reasons already mentioned.

Patek use it and whenever I get a new strap made up for a watch, I always have them added. No need on a sports watch, but for a watch on a strap, it's great.

You want difficult, get a Breguet Classique; mine has solid gold screwbars with the tiniest solid gold retaining screws to stop them coming undone. Changing the strap is a labour of love and fear...

Craftsman
    The lack of drilled lugs on a sport watch drives me mad - for me, it's not about ease of strap changing, it's about functionality/security when using a nylon strap- I actually watched a spring bar pop out on a 2007 sub when the wet nylon strap rolled and caught the spring bar's shoulder.
    I'm pretty new to reading watch forums, but one thread -elsewhere- that caught my eye- was "when did Rolex cease to be tool watches?"

The best answer I saw was 'when they ceased drilling lug holes'.
    Last edited by Brauner Hund; 13th August 2015 at 09:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    "when did Rolex cease to be tool watches?"

The best answer I saw was 'when they ceased drilling lug holes'.
    Spot on. But there again Omega have just moved into selling Nato's? No Omega's have drilled lugs?

As others have pointed out if the bracelet is hard to change then by my reckoning the watch was meant to stay on the bracelet.
    I changed my 2254 bracelet once and my 2542 once but then left them as they were designed.

I love owning a Tuna so I can change straps at will, it part of the fun of owning a proper tool watch, Eddies PRS 25 is the same.

Most people aren't incessantly changing their straps like people on TZ do. Therefore, they don't need lugholes. Once their strap is shot, they take it to a jewellers and buy a new one. The jeweller fits it for them at the same time. If a watch comes on a bracelet and not a strap there is even less reason for them to have lugholes.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.