closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: One month, One watch.

One month, One watch.

Well, i've been wearing my 39mm Explorer for the past month now and i think i'm beginning to bond with it like i have no other watch before.

I purchased it new from my local authorized dealer on the 4th of July and it hasn't been off my wrist for any longer than 15 mins in total. (Took it off when i was up in the loft last week.)

I've been wearing it all day, be it work, play or pub, (I even bath/shower with it on.) and it's been absolutely fantastic picking up minimal marks along the way.

Personally always babied my watches in the past, but i have just worn this as a watch is intended to be worn - 24/7.

The dealer set the time when i brought the watch and i have had no reason to re-set the time as it has only gained 4 seconds in the past 36 days.. AMAZING! :)

Having just one watch has been hard though, (Especially since i've been a serial flipper for around a decade!) and i have picked up a couple of watches in the last couple of weeks... BUT.. I just couldn't take the Explorer off my wrist, so flipped them instantly. :)

I love that it's minimal, sporty, tough, yet elegant, i really can't fault this watch at all.

Quick pic taken today -

Maybe a few of you should try the one watch rule one day too. ;)
    Last edited by senraw; 9th August 2015 at 23:33.

Living the dream right now - my Pelagos Gen 1 hasn't left my wrist for more than moments at a time since buying it. Cut my collection down and save for a G Shock, its the only watch I own!

Blog Entries
    Brilliant. Just what I wanted to hear. I think an Explorer 1 is next.

It's long been my favourite Rolex and if I could only bring myself to consolidate the collection then it would be my one watch as well. Good to see that it works on every level

Great watch, I've had the same experience with my recently picked up breitling super ocean 2, literally not been off my wrist for about 3 weeks!

Id love to give this a go with my GS it certainly ticks all of my boxes for a perfect 'only watch'

Unfortunately in my job i would pick up a few too many dings so a G shock is required

Maybe one day

Apprentice
    Im especially interested in this thread as this watch is partley why I joined the forum. Saw one of these a few weeks back and was really impressed. I like the simplicity of the design - uncluttered. Do you think the novelty will wear off after a few months? Did you consider used before new, and what kind of hit do you think you will take on this in the first year of ownership ? Gorgeous watch.....

Master
    If it's good enough for Roger Smith it should be good enough for me. And yet...I'd find the lack of date a nuisance and 39mm is a smidge too small for my taste.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

SGR

Craftsman
    Thank you for sharing this. A watch is there to be enjoyed to the full and you are doing just that!

Master
    One tenth of a second per day. Incredible! I've been wearing my Bell & Ross Hydromax for the best part of the last month as my Speedmaster has been in for work - that's gained about the same and it's a bloomin' ETA quartz!

I dont see what all the fuss is as regards 'only one watch' anyway. I think that you can be a real enthusiast without owning multiples. A lot of car, hang glider, guitar etc enthusiasts own only item that signifies their interest......

Great Rolex you have there - their best model IMO

A month? Strewth, I used to do a month when I was abroad working but not since I became a desk-monkey.

I managed a week once with the Master Calendar and would do it again. Curiously, I find myself resisting wearing it as often as I'd like as I like it so much... nothing else would get a look in making a rather nice collection a bit redundant... Strange times! Obviously with low WR and a leather strap it isn't suitable for everything, but my god it's close...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I think that you can be a real enthusiast without owning multiples.
    I do agree... and no doubt one day it will happen. Perhaps 2 though ;)

Just goes to show that one watch can do the job - we fool ourselves to think otherwise, probably so we can have some many of them :)

I've bought a few watches this year, when I should have been selling up - but I am glad I did. I will probably keep 50% of the watches I tried, and I have been wearing an Explorer, albeit a 42mm Explorer II since I picked it up, and a lowly SMPc Black Bond is probably the other surprise, in that I have worn it a lot more than expected.

If I can get over the sentimental side, once again, then I think I will have this hobby a lot more under control and be able to cope with around 5 watches instead of 50 - I might have a couple of additional duplicates over and above the 5, and maybe the odd one of Eddies on top - but I really am starting to think I could actually get down to a more reasonable number - whereas in the past I felt like I just had to have "them".

Keep it up, and report back next month with how many days wear it has had.
    It's just a matter of time...

One month wearing this (and no other watches) today (coincidentally)...

I think that my WIS days are past - there are more important things in life than watches (sacrilege?)

(Nice Explorer though - if you like that sort of thing).

Cheers,

Mark C

There is a great difference between need and want, of course. :-)

Prior to this addiction of watches, I managed to fulfill my need by owning just one watch and wearing it daily for over ten years: a Sub. Then the madness crept in, slowly at first as I convinced myself that a dress watch would make sense as an alternative for occasions...

This however meant that I was introduced to the new concept of having to now reset either watch when I changed over, so the convenience of a quartz came to mind. Of course, that meant one quartz diver and one quartz dress watch...

Then I read about birth-year watches, fulfilled that but it led onto vintage, realised I also needed a GMT for travel, bought into the idea of a 'beater', got excited about ani-digital: the slope got slippier and slippier.

The turning point came when I started needing to travel 'light' on some overseas trips and I'd choose just one to take. On the longer trips I came to fully enjoy the watch on my wrist, so much so that the same one would remain on there on my return. I then found that the only time I'd change that one was when another trip was imminent, so I'd carefully choose another as a comparison. The end result is that I still have a dozen or so watches, but only three that are worn almost constantly, one after the other.

I'm not sure that I could bring myself to go back to just one watch only - I still marvel that there was a time when I never had a choice to choose from - but I must say life seems a lot simpler with a short shortlist.

( The current constant is my Voyager, it's been on my wrist for nearly three weeks now and will remain on until I'm back in the UK).

R

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Just one watch for me for most of the time - 1st gen Orange Monster 👹.
    I changed the strap on it at the weekend and my daughter accused me of buying a new watch...

Dave

Finally got around to popping a picture on. Granted, not fresh but I'm happy with the way it looks!

Journeyman
    Purchased my Explorer new in April and have worn nothing else since. Ticks all the boxes for me. Thinking of selling my Sinns and Damasko now.

Craftsman
    I think we all would be more happy if we could have one watch. I don't even try it, but congrats, you're in the right way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Well, i’ve been wearing my 39mm Explorer for the past month now and i think i’m beginning to bond with it like i have no other watch before...

... it has only gained 4 seconds in the past 36 days
    Yes, I could settle for that if I had ever had to have a one and only.

Remarkable timekeeping. Some people are less bothered by accuracy than others but for me it is a big part of what it’s all about: that the machinery is running as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Yes, I could settle for that if I had ever had to have a one and only.

Remarkable timekeeping. Some people are less bothered by accuracy than others but for me it is a big part of what it’s all about: that the machinery is running as it should.
    The most remarkable thing is that it gained the 4 seconds in the first day of wearing. (It hasn't lost our gained anything since then.)

Master
    I've had my GMT BLNR on for the past couple of months or so after 'safing' everything for a holiday and forgetting to leave anything alternative out other than a Panerai and the strap is about to split on that.

has pretty much done the job for all needs although i need to change it now as I definately feel a little neglectful of the other 'children'.

Journeyman
    Its a great watch!!

My collection has just topped 10, which in the abstract I feel is nine too many, but in reality I'm finding it hard to choose any to let go.

Three have sentimental value, so those have to stay (two Timefactors and an heirloom dress watch). That's where I should draw the line, because between them they'd satisfy most requirements... but I've recently splashed out on four Omegas that still retain their novelty value, so they're in no danger of the chop (especially as each was serviced on acquisition). I've two vintage Seiko divers that are fun to wear, and a yellow PRS3 that fills the need for a yellow watch. Then there's my Sinn that I spent the best part of £200 on a new bracelet for at the start of the year, which I haven't even got around to fitting yet.

I just can't bring myself to part with any of those at the moment. My guess is that over time I'll wear some far less than others and, in a rational manner, use that to determine which ones to let go. Of course, for that to be effective in culling the collection it means buying no more watches. And my vow to refrain from watch purchases, which was made in good faith, was shattered earlier this week when I bought the fourth Omega.

Still, that's the plan now. No more new watches, and over time thin out the current collection. (Or not.)

So I'm very envious of the OP. Well done :)

Journeyman

Journeyman
    I have had my 39mm Explorer for almost 2 years now and still love it - classic, understated, elegant and totally flies under the radar. I got 8% off at an AD and have attended 2, soon to be 3 VIP champagne events - awesome experience and will bever ever part with it.

Charlie

I like the idea of only one watch. The purity and simplicity is very appealing to me. I did manage it for 6 or 7 years with a Tag Aquaracer but that was before I discovered WIS. Currently tend to rotate between my Pelagos and Speedy Pro every 2 weeks and have a G Shock and SKX007 as beaters. I have admired the Explorer in the past but fear the absence of a date would annoy me if I adopted it as my only watch. I do miss the date on my Speedy when i wear it. However there Explorer has a fine history and I like the simplicity of the dial. Look forward to seeing if the OP can stick to the one watch. Good luck.

Picked up a cheap Seiko off sales corner for gardening and beach duties only. ;)

Master
    Picked up a cheap Seiko off sales corner for gardening and beach duties only. ;)

Looks really sharp. You can't beat cheap Seikos as beaters / holiday watches.

Well, i've been wearing my 39mm Explorer for the past eight months now and i think i'm beginning to bond with it like i have no other watch before.

I purchased it in December and it hasn't been off my wrist for any longer than 15 mins in total, unless out for a run with the Garmin

I love that it's minimal, sporty, tough, yet elegant, i really can't fault this watch at all.
    Tweaked your words slightly but your thoughts Karl are very close to mine. Haven't worn anything else since it arrived.

I live by the One Watch rule (I do have another - huge sentimental value so it will never go, but I wear it very very rarely) and have done for the best part of 2 years now.
    I still flip, but it's strictly one out, one in, then live with the one until I settle or decide to flip.
    As a result, I chose watches as a combination of what I fancy plus what will stand up to day in, day out wear.

Currently wearing my MM300, bought new in early May and has not been off my wrist for more than 2 hours at any one time.

You do (I do) really develop a different, deeper (?) bond with a watch when worn like this and have, personally, found it far more satisfying than my 14 watches-and-fretting-over-what-to-wear-each-morning period!
    You really learn a bit more about the piece when you spend a bit more time with it - I tend to research the brand and the watch more as I spend the time with one, and that often adds to the relationship a little.

I do tend to tart about with straps/bracelets to spice things up, but other than that it's one watch for as long as I can take it. So far, I've managed about 16 months with a late 2000's GMT Master II, 4 months with a Breitling Aerospace Avantage, 3 months with a Seiko Brightz Chrono and now into month 4 with the MM300.
    - If I need to make a rash statement with potential egg on my face later (as fits my style!) , I'd say I'm settled with the MM300 and reckon I'll beet the GMT's record with it.....

Enjoy the Explorer - I could see it being that One (for me, I need a Date, but I get that watch if you don't need the date)

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    You do (I do) really develop a different, deeper (?) bond with a watch when worn like this and have, personally, found it far more satisfying than my 14 watches-and-fretting-over-what-to-wear-each-morning period!
    So how did you whittle the 14 down to one? All in one go or over time? And how did you choose what to keep and what to let go?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    So how did you whittle the 14 down to one? All in one go or over time? And how did you choose what to keep and what to let go?
    I've done the same thing, had too many watches over the years and decided having them sat about made me feel uncomfortable, I'm obviously not a collector. The only watch I own now is my SubC which I wear everyday, its picking up some nice history along the way. I have to agree you'll only bond with a watch if you wear it regularly, perhaps that's why there so much flipping around here, because they have to fit in a crowd, seldom used.
    I feel much more relaxed now having just the one to pick up in a morning. And as for scratching it, it'll clean up nicely in a few years I bet but I'm getting attached to every mark on it, someone said it adds warmth to a watch and I have to agree totally.

Great thread. When I bought my 3rd watch I considered selling one of the first 2 but just could face it and couldn't choose between them so kept them and happily rotate wearing all 3 at least once a week. I have promised myself (and my wife) that I will only make one more big purchase for the foreseeable future. The SubC or Exp like the OP.

It ticks every box for me bar one and that's the size. At 39mm it's just too small for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    It ticks every box for me bar one and that's the size. At 39mm it's just too small for my liking.
    You'd be surprised. I went from 42mm to 36mm and it works beautifully. Never would have thought I'd say that of anything sub 40mm.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    You'd be surprised. I went from 42mm to 36mm and it works beautifully. Never would have thought I'd say that of anything sub 40mm.
    I wouldn't be! I've tried the 39mm version a few times now and I know I wouldnt cope with the size

I've had the Seiko a day and sold it on to a friend... Tried a bit of early morning gardening with it on, but I just can't seem function without the Explorer 1 strapped to my wrist! ;)

One month, One watch.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I started whittling down after a prolonged feeling of ennui about them (to much choice, to much changing - left me unsettled with them all) , plus my wife totalled them up (thankfully inaccurately lol) and went a bit bonkers!

I'd become interested in watches from my Dad, who wore one watch for all of my childhood, then passed it on to me at about 14.
    Once I got to half a dozen left (anything unworn for more than 3 months went) and I started thinking again on what about watches makes me happy - I kept coming back to that first watch and my inspiration for an interest in them.
    I realised it was the association that my dad had built with that watch as much as the watch itself - it had remained a constant through many turbulent years and my childhood memories. I thought that was cool, and set out on that path to see if I found the same.

I've had the Seiko a day and sold it on to a friend... Tried a bit of early morning gardening with it on, but I just can't seem function without the Explorer 1 strapped to my wrist! ;)
    Perfect! One watch to rule them all, or something like that!
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 20th August 2015 at 15:29.

Ok
    I can manage 1watch - it is an illness after all lol

However, I tried out of the blue a 36 mm turn o graph bi metal and then went on a quest to buy one

Since its purchase it has become my go to watch

My panerai 164 and others just sit on the winder

Even my most recent purchase -black dial 216570 seems large and is hardly worn

Some watches defy convention and just fit

It's a funny old business and I think I am slowly realising my perfect watch collection

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Keep it up, and report back next month with how many days wear it has had.
    Another (Constant.) 30 days wear ans still loving it. :)

The time keeping is truly amazing, it's has only gained 1 extra SECOND over the last 4 weeks!! (5 seconds total gain since purchase on 04/07/15.)

Craftsman
    Very nice!

But for me the one watch (after experimenting) is a stainless steel Datejust. I prefer 36mm and having a date.

Journeyman
    Nice watch

Journeyman
    Nice..... Looks pretty slim without the usual bezel

Good choice.