closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Precista mission timer

Precista mission timer

for quite some time now, I like a number of others have fancied a very simple, no frills mission timer. the EZM1 is way to expensive nowadays to wear as a daily beater and to precious to a point as well.i have a bit of a preference for the left hand chronos so a simple rotate was all that was needed there. i decided the eta 251.262 was the perfect movement and eddie had done 99% of the work already! the pic below is basically the first run, its not perfect, smudges inside, hands not quite perfectly aligned, dial not aligned, etc etc but it is the bones of the final item.

a few items still remain and i thought i would seek opinion here.

1. the case: i have started to rub it back but wonder if i should bead blast or ship to Canada for DLC coating?
    2. the dial: spot on as it is? needs something? i was toying with the idea of match marking the constant sec peg and painting the sub-sec hand dark grey with a small strip of lume as a proof of life indicator as it were. i like the no text at all look but???
    3. the bezel: i initially wanted a 1-12hr insert but wonder if a 60min count down would suit better?

it will eventually be going on a dievas style rubber strap or possibly a GGB if i can think of what madness to have carl make:)

anyway, have at it gents, what do you think?

Master
    Good work! Just what I had in mind, http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...+mission+timer

great effort, i like the dial as is, i would go for a 12 hr bezel , and i think the case would look best in pvd or dlc but leave the bezel stainless steel.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

7years in the making then:) still, quicker than a Damasko bracelet

the DLC decision has been made for me, $800us is not an option for this project im afraid. so I have left it with the man who can and we are doing the following.

strip and blast case , crown, pushers and bezel back to mat.
    match drill hole in dial for constant seconds at 12. hand to be black with thin white lume line on edges.
    chrono hands to be: second hand total lume coverage and minute hand to end of airplane, so original black remains.

that will do for now and if things don't look right then a new dial is easy enough to get and we can start again:)

emailed Eddie last night about a replacement bezel but unfortunately he doesn't have any available but put me on to fricker so fingers crossed.

will update as we go.
    cheers

Great effort, it looks very good.

Master
    That looks excellent. I'm not a fan of sterile dials so something at 12 would be good, but I'm not sure if a constant seconds hand would make it a little busy with the chrono hands in the same location. I suppose if it's subtle it will look OK though. Looking forward to seeing it anyway.

well, the first run is done and its taking shape rather well I think.
    a very quick grit blast has convinced me it is the way to go and the all white hand set up is spot on. the constant sec hand or "POL" indicator hasn't worked out quite right. it is very subtle but I think it needs something more at the top of the dial so Wayne has suggested he cuts an 8mm hole with the machine cutter and then fixes the post to the centre of it and refit painted red on one half and lume white on the other. this will give us a rotating POL at 12 that is flush with the dial and we are assured a perfect fit as it is the disc we cut out ad will have 0.15mm clearance around so not enough gap to show.

few pics of finish(first pass) and options on straps.

so the next step is to find a supplier of cases, I fancy making one from a Guinand 40 series style case but would need to fit someone who can modify or make a spacer to retain the eta movement as these are designed for 7750's.

and a wrist shot, on 190mm wrist for those interested.

Good work, I don't understand what a pol indicator is though
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

cheers, I think I have a few more things to sort out. im going to strip the lume off and get it to someone that can do a proper job, probably do the dial and time hands the same lume colour but the chrono hands in an alternate.

POL or "Proof Of Life" indicator, basically a fancy way of saying a wee hand or disc to show the watch is working without having to run the chrono every time. what I want to do is the disc idea, cut a 6-8mm disc at the constant sec pin, paint it in 2 halves and refit so that when you look at the watch you can see the disc rotating. the sec hand doesn't really work in the 12 position. if it were white it would clutter up the area and black is so hard to see it makes it redundant so if I made the disc it would become more of a feature of the watch.
    1 thing I really want is a 12 hr bezel, im now certain that is the way to go so hopefully fricker will be in touch this week to say if they have any.

if anyone has good photoshop skills id like to send them a few shots to play around with to show the final article, if anyone has the time and inclination of course. im pretty much technologically challenged when it come to that stuff

I like that, a very nifty project.

Excellent effort - I always thought the mission timer Precista project was a winner and you've taken up the challenge very well. Personally I would go for either count-down (you have a chrono to count up) or 12 hr (extending its timing capability) bezel; lume the chrono hands (how many other chronographs are readable in the dark...?) and leave out the pol (or at most have it in a discrete dark red a la EZM1s). Otherwise I love the matt of the case, the left handed operation and the cleanliness (and so readability of) the dial.

(I've worn my EZM1 for about 5 years through thick and thin mind you, so would still say it was an option....;) )

Super.

thanks. the hands are all lumed but it was a quick job so not the best. im looking for someone who can do a proper job but thin on the ground down here. thinking I will have the hands and dial stripped back and have blue on the dial and time hands and the chrono hands done in green for some contrast or maybe some other colours. always liked seeing the 12hr markers done in different coloured lume. still a work in progress but its getting there.
    maybe eddie will be inspired :)

Just noticed this.
    Well done on taking up the Mission Timer baton, and running with it.
    You've got a long way with it, and it looks great.
    Personally, the POL (or constant seconds) isn't a necessity for me, but then again as an EZM1 and Tutima Commando owner, it wouldn't.
    My preference would be for a 12-hr bezel, to extend time functionality. On the basis of "Be good at one thing, not okay at a few".
    I still have a Lemania 5270 movement and a Hamilton case for a mod project along the same lines, it has a 1-12 bezel.
    I was going to go for a full lume dial and black hands with Fluoro-orange for the chrono hands. Full lume is always more legible overnight than lumed hands, and mine would be for legibility, so no requirement for tactical stealth. No real "missions" in my future.

And I have to say, much as I like the 17c concept, it is not the most elegant case. So I would carry on the hunt for a better looking case.

Here is a possibility??? 12-hr bezel?? These have been on sale for over a year or so on Ebay.

And I too hope you've raised Eddie's interest again. There is certainly room for this watch, I know of at least 3 people who have gone a long way to making their own, and when epople are that keen to do something, there would surely be a market to sell them.

D

I too have just found this thread.

I’m really impressed with what you’ve done. I like the inclusion of a POL, but personally would spec it as red, just for a subtle colour accent, orange or yellow would be too much.

As an owner of a little worn EZM1, for the reasons you list, I’m longing for an affordable left handed mission timer to be produced, so echo sweets sentiments re Eddie producing one.

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    ...[I] echo sweets sentiments re Eddie producing one.
    Same here.

at last the campaign gains some traction :)
    I think if eddie had any plans to make one it would be made by now so im happy to play around with these.
    I have another 251 movement just in and already have the johanson case mentioned above, I also got my hands on a....don't laugh...chase durer case which I think will actually work very well. the bugger is the slight dial size difference which make sourcing dials of a suitable type and size a mission (pardon the pun)
    the main aim next is to improve the lume on all the hands, if anyone knows a man who can im happy to ship anywhere to get it done right. im looking at doing the dial and hands. I like the lumed chrono hands but currently its a bit thick and needs a better effort.

Master

Precista Mission Timer

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    I think if eddie had any plans to make one it would be made by now
    After a short interlude , isn't the Precista Mission Timer finally on the cards?

My vote would be for a titanium case, but I'm not holding my breath on this mission.