closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths PRS-68 or hold out for an original Seiko 6105-8110 74 year.

Smiths PRS-68 or hold out for an original Seiko 6105-8110 74 year.

I'm smitten with those Seiko 6105-8110 watches and still feel sick about a nice one i had arranged to buy earlier in the year only to have to pull out of the sale due to someone messing me about with a purchase from me.

Anyway would you try and get a birth year one or buy new from Time Factors? I'm in two minds as i do like original but if i sourced an original i would probably send it in to be brought back to life thus removing the history if you know what i mean? Should i just buy one from Time Factors and be done with it???
    Last edited by Martylaa; 4th August 2015 at 21:36.

I'm guessing you mean a PRS-68. It sounds as though you would not really be satisfied with anything other than the Seiko although the Smiths is technically an excellent watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'm guessing you mean a PRS-68. It sounds as though you would not really be satisfied with anything other than the Seiko although the Smiths is technically an excellent watch.
    Yes sorry title amended. I'd love an original Seiko 6105 but knowing me i'd want it looking as good as new so does that defeat the purpose of buying original? Ah what to do...

Id be inclined to go the Seiko route, it sounds like you will end up doing that eventually as the nag to have one won't be satisfied fully.
    My experience of having a watch restored; bought it specifically to be restored as the dial/movement was lovely but, the case was very worn. Prior to the resto wore it loads, loved it, didn't care because it was going to be "fixed".
    Well, the fix was a bit too good & now I have a mint watch that I very rarely wear because I'm scared to mark it. Nuts, I know.
    With hindsight should have just left it.

I've been through the 6105 restoration route a few times now.
    It's hard to know where to start and more crucially where to stop! Best In my view to not overdo it and do too much!

In the example below I had a good to begin with 6105 restored (by cannop) to basically as new state - then ended up selling it (stupidly!).

I've had a few other restored also and sold those too - they were not as nice as the one above though.
    In all these restorations I didn't re-lume the dial but did the do the hands on one or two.

In the end I decided what I really want is as good a 6105 as I can get, that is however all original and so that's what I've recently bought (though this route is expensive!).
    It's not perfect but it's the best example I could afford and to my eyes is still very very good:

This is currently with cannop for a full service, will post more pics when it is back.

You need to decide what you want and then go for it! Good luck.
    Last edited by Thorien; 4th August 2015 at 23:08.

Not to say the TZ prs68 isn't a great watch, I'm sure, but the original is what you should look out for.
    What's your budget for a 6105, though? As the prices are getting rather high. I'd recommend you be patient and find the right one.

I have 4 at the moment...a 1976 version that I'm about to send to Duncan that needs a relume of the hands and a good fixing as it's not running. This was newly picked up recently for a 'decent' price.

I also, however have another tip top condition one that isn't pictured below from October 1974!

That too will be going to cannop to fit a NOS sweep hand as there is a slight blackening to the lume.

To 'help' your desire for one....:-)

Finding ones like Billy's above this post, and the resist one in mine, was hard and expensive...so be prepared. But if you have a hankering for one then...I recommend you be patient and get the one you know is a keeper and doesn't necessarily need too much fixing. If you have one like that, though it can be difficult wearing it without worrying!
    Last edited by Bodo; 4th August 2015 at 23:22.

PRS68 = 200m water resistance, sapphire crystal, hi-beat movement, 20mm lug width, stonking lume, great value for money. Also a longer seconds hand (subjective, but I prefer it).

Seiko = The original.

Up to you really, each to their own.

Craftsman
    Get both? :-)

Get 'em both, and a Dagaz?

you need to get both. sorry , but you did ask. get the 68 for daily wear and then you can start saving until you can find the best original 6105 you can get.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Athaya also makes a nice 6105-type (with Seiko movement): http://shop.athayavintage.com/

Master
    I would say hold out for the right 6105 to come along.

Im lucky enough to own the one that Thorien mentioned above. It took a lot of patience for the right one to come along but I dont regret the wait. It has to be the most stunning watch I have ever owned and Ive had a few.

Why not find yourself a nice 6309 as a stop gap. Thats what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by andamanen View Post
    Athaya also makes a nice 6105-type (with Seiko movement): http://shop.athayavintage.com/
    That Athaya is a nice one.

There's a '74 up on SC right now!

That looks good !

Master
    The Athaya is probably closest in spirit and appearance to the original and at least uses a "Seiko" NH35 movement. It loses little or nothing to the lovely PRS68 and is quite a bit cheaper.

With my projected financial situation, rapidly approaching retirement, I don't think I could justify the ever increasing prices for a nice original, and as iconic as the design might be, it was never anything other than a commodity watch. It isn't one that is on my bucket list - at least until I have actually got myself a new bucket. Once "restored" it would lose it's attraction for me, so it would have to be a good one, and hence expensive for what it is. Unless it comes with the provenance of being worn by Martin Sheen I would pass over the original and get a decent homage with a sapphire crystal.

I can see why you might go for an original however, just not a restored one.

That's an April 1973 example. And a very nice looking one.

On the subject of restoration, as long as the bezel/insert is original and the case hadn't had any polishing along with dial and hand originality then I'm satisfied. If the blackening to the lume or the hands is excessive then a restored lume job can look very good.

To someone who simply wants a good looking original 6105 then even with this type of 'beneficial' restoration you can still be looking at paying a fair amount.

I have one, well, two with Duncan at the moment. One has quite severe blackening to the lume on the hands, however the dial is in good condition. It's been decided to give it a relume of the hands but to replace the seconds hand with a NOS piece that I managed to track down. This will, once the lume is matched to the dial , look pretty good to me and although not all original, it is a reasonable restoration to get it looking the part and for many people with a love for the 6105 is about as far as you'd go without causing too much of an issue.

AM parts and polishing, if they're considered restorations then yes, don't pay anything more than the cost of the movement.

Subtle restoration to original parts in the form of a top quality relume of the hands and dial is in my opinion quite acceptable and doesn't detract from what is a beautiful watch to wear. To a collector it will probably be a turn off, though.

If you can find an original like the one 'diver' is selling, as untouched versions like that really are becoming very hard to find, then I'd say go for it.
    For me, if the prices of these were to drop I'd still just buy a load of them.

The Seiko 6217, 6159, 6105, 6306, 6309, 7548, 7002 and 7c43 divers are all beauties and if I can track any of those down that are all original and in good condition, I'm happy! Well, saying that the 6159 is beyond my grasp and the 62mas, although I feel I should have one due to its history, simply wasn't for me and so I sold it on. Still a lovely watch, though.

Noticed there is a 6159 in fairly poor condition and the case has been polished. I think the chap wants 3999USD for that!
    Last edited by Bodo; 27th August 2015 at 01:17.

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    The Athaya is probably closest in spirit and appearance to the original and at least uses a "Seiko" NH35 movement. It loses little or nothing to the lovely PRS68 and is quite a bit cheaper.
    ???

Athaya

PRS68

Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    Subtle restoration to original parts in the form of a top quality relume of the hands and dial is in my opinion quite acceptable and doesn't detract from what is a beautiful watch to wear. To a collector it will probably be a turn off, though.
    I agree. What turns me off some of these vintage pieces is the poor lume (of course, to be expected!). While some prefer the authenticity of weak to non-existant lume comensurate with age, I prefer the utility of working lume and as such wouldn't see a good relume job as detrimental. Quite the opposite--it's returning an element of functionality to the watch that's been lost over time, and which was originally intended to be present.

If you like your toys to be in perfect condition go for new .... I always feel that watches like cars need to show they have had a life and tell a story ! Everyone's different though I just feel that referbushing a vintage peice completely wipes all those years away ....

thats how I like my vintage stuff to look !!