closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wasp emerging from nest

Wasp emerging from nest

There's an underground wasps' nest in my garden. The insect was photographed with a Leica T / Canon FD 200mm Macro Lens - ambient light, ISO 1600, 1/320@f22, camera/lens on tripod at distance of 1 metre.

Plan to use the Leica T remotely with my iPad thus enabling a closer (to the wasps' nest) camera position and a 100mm macro lens.

The wasps move extremely quickly thus difficult to obtain decent focus - manual focus has to be pre-set thus take a chance on whether or not the subject will be in the correct focus position.

The wasps are more interested in their work and the nest than in me - they ignored me but I was sitting just one metre from the nest.

Best wishes

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 25th July 2015 at 17:50.
    "The energy expenditure of most people's weekly gym class workouts equates to the reward of one large doughnut afterwards" … Prof. Tim Spector, 'The Diet Myth' author

Nice shot, but I'd of been pouring a a kettle of boiling water down there not taking pictures lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mexico75 View Post
    Nice shot, but I'd of been pouring a a kettle of boiling water down there not taking pictures lol
    Why kill them? Wasps have evolved over many millions of years and form an essential part of our gardens' and farmlands' eco systems. They do no harm to us unless provoked. People who become hysterical at the sight of a wasp need educating - they're all very ignorant. Wasps pollinate plants and 'hoover' many crop pests and pests' larvae and ova which they feed to wasp larvae… and they recycle dead vegetable matter. I've sat in front of the wasps' nest this afternoon taking photographs and they totally ignored me.

dunk
    "The energy expenditure of most people's weekly gym class workouts equates to the reward of one large doughnut afterwards" … Prof. Tim Spector, 'The Diet Myth' author

Quote Originally Posted by Mexico75 View Post
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SIk05.png
    You're showing your ignorance … would be more to your credit if you read more and learnt to spell and to use correct grammar … instead of pissing on my post, and composing useless posts to try and increase your post count.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 25th July 2015 at 18:34.

Really good dunk. Very quatermass !
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Really good dunk. Very quatermass !
    Thank you Dave.

dunk

Craftsman
    Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Superbly sharp and well composed. Did you use a remote trigger?? Only asking as I would be too scared to venture that close.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    You're showing your ignorance … would be more to your credit if you read more and learnt to spell and to use correct grammar … instead of pissing on my post, and composing useless posts to try and increase your post count.

dunk
    Wow, chill out. I said it was a nice shot, nothing wrong with my spelling or grammar and I couldn't give two figs about my post count.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Superbly sharp and well composed. Did you use a remote trigger?? Only asking as I would be too scared to venture that close.

Stuart
    No remote used … yet :) . The 200mm macro lens enables a 1 metre subject to camera distance with a reasonable magnification. During the last week when I first noticed the nest I walked past many times and also observed the nest at close quarters. Wasps entering and leaving the nest were not aggressive and ignored me completely. I crouched in front of the nest today and kept fairly still apart from when changing the pre-focused distance. I am planning to use my iPad as a remote control for the Leica T to enable closer focus with a shorter 100mm focal length macro lens. Today's experiment was the first time I'd tried wasp nest photography.

Best wishes

dunk

Blog Entries
    That is a really excellent shot, just look at the clarity of detail in the hairs behind the wasps head!

Great stuff dunk!

Why kill them? Wasps have evolved over many millions of years and form an essential part of our gardens' and farmlands' eco systems. They do no harm to us unless provoked. People who become hysterical at the sight of a wasp need educating - they're all very ignorant. Wasps pollinate plants and 'hoover' many crop pests and pests' larvae and ova which they feed to wasp larvae… and they recycle dead vegetable matter. I've sat in front of the wasps' nest this afternoon taking photographs and they totally ignored me.

dunk
    Thank you for calling this out and setting things straight, it really gets up my spine when I read about killing them...

Great photo. Have to admit the wasp has an "angry" look about it - if you can associate mood with colour schemes.

Great photo,

It seems like many I don't get the kill them culture,

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Great photo,

It seems like many I don't get the kill them culture,
    In the wild I'm the last to run away from a wasp, they don't bother me in the slightest. However if there was a nest in my garden or my loft which has happened before I'd get rid of it before one of my kids stuck their finger in it. Apart from that I'm the sort of person that is racked with guilt every time I step on a snail.

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    Thank you for calling this out and setting things straight, it really gets up my spine when I read about killing them...
    Far too many people want to exterminate every ants' nest and every wasps' nest in their gardens - but they do not realise that ants and wasps can live in harmony with us and be of great benefit to their and their neighbours' gardens. People are unnecessarily fearful and afraid of wasps; if not provoked the wasps will not harm people. When they do sting it's usually because they've been disturbed and they then defend themselves. There's far too much unnecessary hysteria about wasps, ants and spiders. Live and let live. When insects do become a problem it's often because man has upset the ecological balance due to too intensive farming or indiscriminate waste disposal.

dunk

Far too many people want to exterminate every ants' nest and every wasps' nest in their gardens - but they do not realise that ants and wasps can live in harmony with us and be of great benefit to their and their neighbours' gardens. People are unnecessarily fearful and afraid of wasps; if not provoked the wasps will not harm people. When they do sting it's usually because they've been disturbed and they then defend themselves. There's far too much unnecessary hysteria about wasps, ants and spiders. Live and let live. When insects do become a problem it's often because man has upset the ecological balance due to too intensive farming or indiscriminate waste disposal.

dunk
    I get that, but there is no way I was leaving two nests in my house. Wasps seem to get exceedingly upset by windows, which isn't a problem when they are outside but in your bedroom it becomes a problem.

Great photo Dunk, but I still hate the buggers. And I disagree that they don't sting unless provoked. I was once fishing with an 18 meter roach pole when I felt something tickling my right elbow. Upon turning my head I saw a wasp sat on my elbow arching it's back, One sting later and £2,000 of carbon fibre pole was slowly sinking into the lake! Bees I love, but Wasps...................
    Best Regards - Peter

I hate being bipolar, its brilliant.

Pin-sharp focus there, impressive!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

That's an eye-catching and striking image, and personally I think that insects are remarkable, splendid creatures. I'm looking forward to the encore.

Master
    Surrey, UK. Odiáxere or somewhere in-between
    Blog Entries
    As a bee keeper - I can appreciate the feelings toward wasps - they can get a problem particularly in August when they switch their diet to over-ripe fermenting fruit and actually get drunk - and like any of us that get drunk sometime behave badly and can attack us. They will defend their nests - like any insects so you may get unlucky when digging into your compost heap. Most of the time they are the great scavengers of the insect world eating up dead or injured insects and generally being useful in the food chain.

Dunc - I love that photo! Great colour range and sharpness.

Here are some bee photos taken with my D700 - I use flash to freeze insect motion so with a small aperture - make the flash the main light source rather than ambient - hence the dark background.

here are a bunch of bees!

limited EXIF:
    Date: 07/09/2014
    Time: 15:37:01
    Latitude:
    Longitude:
    Model: NIKON D700
    Serial #:
    Firmware: Ver.1.02
    Frame #: 7736
    Lens (mm): 105
    ISO: 200
    Aperture: 13
    Shutter: 1/250
    Exp. Comp.: 0.0
    Flash Comp.:
    Program: Manual
    Focus Mode:
    White Bal.:
    ICC Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (embedded)
    Contrast:
    Sharpening:
    Quality:
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 26th July 2015 at 13:16.

Craftsman
    The photo's are great, but wasps in general I hate with a vengeance.
    My daughter was stung by a wasp a few years ago and she had to receive emergency treatment.
    So i'm sorry if it offends the tree huggers here but if a wasp comes anywhere near me or my family, its toast..........
    Last edited by Bluetorric; 26th July 2015 at 13:32.

Excellent photos Martyn … and your warning ref August drunken wasps noted. I'm considering placing a Lastolite Cubelite over the nest-hole and then use a Hedler continuous light (daylight colour temperature) to evenly illuminate the nest area via the Cubelite - thus enabling lower ISO and faster shutter speeds. Yesterday was a very dull day so needed to up the ISO to 1600. Also considering using the Leica T camera remotely via my iPad which should enable me to sit further away and avoid any wasp aggression … whilst controlling the camera exposures with the iPad's touch screen.

And thank you ralphy et al for the positive comments.

BTW … it's not necessary to pay out several hundred pounds for the latest marque AF macro lenses. One of the finest macro lenses previously made was the manual focus Canon FD 100mm macro which adapts so easily to most mirrorless cameras … and to FF cameras if you're prepared to use it only for close-up photography.

http://www.ffordes.com/product/11120717303081 … Ffordes also have some NOS examples.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 26th July 2015 at 13:48.

Master
    Surrey, UK. Odiáxere or somewhere in-between
    Blog Entries
    ^^

Dunc - can you use a flash for illumination? That should make things easier?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    ^^

Dunc - can you use a flash for illumination? That should make things easier?
    Yes I have various flashguns which could be used including ring flash and a Canon ML-1 Macrolite made specifically for the Canon FD 200mm Macro lens … but also curious to see the result with a Hedler continuous light which is mains powered. My rechargeable AA batteries are rather old and inefficient and the ML-1 Macrolite needs 8 AA cells. The Hedler lamp's continuous output is equivalent to 650w and unlike flash is WYSIWYG … and being 'off camera' can be easily adjusted to give suitable illumination before taking the photos. But it's likely to rain today; the Hedler will be tried on a dry day.

dunk

Great looking picture but you would not get me that close either wasps are mad.

I hate wasps but that is a cracking photo....

Isn't nature bloody ace.
    Cracking images.

Nice image. The composition and texture of the surround nest remind me of a clip from a Ray Harryhausen (sp?) film.

I didn't expect so many compliments about the wasp image - thank you. The photo was taken using ambient light only - necessitating a high ISO setting and relatively long shutter speed which is insufficient to capture 'motion' - but I was lucky with the above wasp because it 'paused'. When the wasps enter and leave the nest they are running like express trains. The Leica T has shortcomings for this type of photography e.g. there is no way for it to use dedicated TTL 'freeze motion' I]multiple flashguns[/I] which would be ideal for insect photography. The dedicated Leica SF26 flash can only be used as a single unit and lacks exposure compensation control - although it's allegedly possible to fudge same via the camera's pop-up flash - but it's a long winded procedure - and the SF-26 is way too expensive. However, I experimented yesterday with a cheap s/h £30 Metz 28 CS-2 slave flash which can be used singly or as multiple units 'off camera' and (and with any camera) and can be activated wirelessly (via the CS-2's built in slave control) by the T's pop-up flash. The CS-2 enables spot-on exposures throughout its aperture range and +ve and -ve exposure compensation can be dialled in - and test flashes indicate whether the set flash parameters will be OK. I'm impressed with the CS-2's capabilities and 'the price is right' - so sourced another s/h yesterday from Ffordes which arrives on Tuesday. Thus will be able to use two CS-2 guns in tandem - both activated by the T's built-in pop-up flash - and should enable a cost effective off-camera multiple flash set-up for macro photography.

Best wishes

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 1st August 2015 at 10:15.

Banned
    Absolute great photo's the colour was really bright and vibrant, I don't why i cant get mine as sharp as that,
    I spent a fair bit of money on an 'Fujifilm Finepix S1' and still the photo's are crap...lol

Great pics thanks for the post.

Amazing photography

Wasps are twats though, they all need to die

Craftsman
    Great photo.

Wasps are often feared - mostly for no reason. Many years ago, we had one of those small "houses" on a pole in which you feed the wild birds in the garden during the winter time. It was placed about 3 meters from the terrace door. One year wasps had built a nest there. We were a little worried but as it turned out, we were able to drink our late afternoon coffee on the terrace through the summer at close distrance to the wasps nest with the wasps flying around us but we never got stung. We left the wasps in peace and they left us in peace. And in the fall they left the nest so it could be cleared for the coming winters bird feeding.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Love the depth of field in that :-)
    its something i struggle to get just right