closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hernia repair, keyhole or open surgery?

Banned

Hernia repair, keyhole or open surgery?

I'm booked in for a double hernia repair in a few days time. I had my right side repaired by open surgery about ten years ago but this time I will getting both done by keyhole unless they encounter any problems.

Anyone else had the keyhole method, and how long before I can hit golf balls again? last time was around 3 weeks, so I'm hoping the keyhole will be a shorter recovery period.

I had keyhole hernia repair just over two years ago, I rode my bike four days later. By ten days I was happy to do a reasonable ride, after three months I had a heart attack
    To carry out the procedure a shed load of gas is pumped into your abdomen, to get rid it is a good idea to drink copious amounts of peppermint tea!
    Nigel

Master
    And invest in a good kite!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a double inguinal repair last year by keyhole Paul, give it 10 days before golf I reckon.Mike

Master
    Yep at least 10 days and good luck mate!

The important thing to remember is that a similar procedure is going on inside, it is mainly the method of entry that changes, so the external wounds will heal quicker and leave less damage. The internal wounds are similar and it is very easy to forget about them. It may well be better than 10 years ago anyway, but don't rush back. Laparoscopic surgery is still considered to be a serious event by the surgeons.

No idea sorry.

But! 2 weeks ago, I went in for an op. to have my gall bladder taken out.......it was meant to be done with keyhole, it ended up being done by open surgery though! So a nice big 7 ish inch scar across my stomach.(plus still! lots of air in my fat belly!)..........two years ago I had my prostrate taken out............so another 7 inch scar.

hmmmmmm my body is beginning to resemble a bloody dot to dot picture now! lol.

Good luck on your op. and have a speedy recovery.

A bloke in work had his hernia done last year, he was up and about really quickly (he is much younger and fitter than me though!) his was done via keyhole.

Had an umbilical hernia repair recently, open surgery (apparently keyhole wasnt an option) - 6 weeks off work with the first 10 days in bed feeling like I'd done 250 sit-ups! - I think it depends on the bits inside you can't see - and on the extent of the tear. Feel fine now, no idea I'd been pumped full of gas until I read this! - scar in my belly button so who cares, but the mesh they implanted means my stomach is rather more solid than I'm used to!

Banned

Updade

Just came out of the surgery, it went well enough and both sides have been repaired. 13hrs since I last ate something, really hungry now.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    speedy recovery matey, take it easy and enjoy that Hospital Chicken

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    speedy recovery matey, take it easy and enjoy that Hospital Chicken
    I'm that hungry I would eat almost anything, unfortunately the kitchen is now closed so I have a cheese and pickle sandwich to look forward to later.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I'm that hungry I would eat almost anything, unfortunately the kitchen is now closed so I have a cheese and pickle sandwich to look forward to later.
    always remember you have a delivery option, I had a wonderful curry delivered to me at 9.30pm one evening

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    always remember you have a delivery option, I had a wonderful curry delivered to me at 9.30pm one evening
    Ruby Murray you say? Sounds fantastic

Master
    Had a minor hernia op a couple of years ago via open surgery, sports related tear so no sympathy from the NHS. Still occasionally think I can feel the mesh pulling when I stretch and the lack of sensation on the scar is very odd.

Most unnerving moment was waking from the anaesthetic in recovery and feeling the need for a bit of an itch in the affected area. Quite surprised to find my pants down my thighs and clumps of hair in my hand. They'd given me a terrible chop job which resembled a combover and left the trimmed hair where it had fallen, then to top it all I found a surgical glove nestling next to my nads! Dread to think where the other one was left.

Slightly violated is the feeling that sprang to mind.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    Had a minor hernia op a couple of years ago via open surgery, sports related tear so no sympathy from the NHS. Still occasionally think I can feel the mesh pulling when I stretch and the lack of sensation on the scar is very odd.

Most unnerving moment was waking from the anaesthetic in recovery and feeling the need for a bit of an itch in the affected area. Quite surprised to find my pants down my thighs and clumps of hair in my hand. They'd given me a terrible chop job which resembled a combover and left the trimmed hair where it had fallen, then to top it all I found a surgical glove nestling next to my nads! Dread to think where the other one was left.

Slightly violated is the feeling that sprang to mind.
    No such problems at the Murrayfield hospital here in Edinburgh The whole experience has been good, the consultant came back to see me at 6:45am this morning, nursing staff have been great and even the scrambled egg at breakfast tasted good and freshly made.

I should be getting home at around 10am this morning.

Master
    Sorry only just seen this. I had a laparoscopy to sort mine 3 small key hole incisions in and out same day and this was in spite of a bowel resection as well as they found an undetected tumor. Recovery time was a good four weeks due to the "extras".
    Good luck with the recovery.

Journeyman
    Had inguinal hernia repair in 1995 as a medical student. Early days for IH repairs to be done this way....have had no problems since other than advancing age and cognitive impairment. Certainly returning to activity is significantly quicker than with a conventional open repair.

I had a open hernia repair carried out in July after waiting since September last year to get it done because of the Lockdown and other Coronavirus problems for the hospital , so by the time I had it done I was long overdue and having some real problems with violent stomach cramps and violent pain.

To get it done finally was a massive relief and the recovery took a few weeks before I could get back to normal duties as it was a big tear but I'm fine now. To be honest I had more problems with the anaesthesia and intubation than the operation itself and it's great to feel able to move about better now so go for it, it has to be about the most common operation they do these days and it's a well established procedure.

Mind you I was worried too that they would manage to get it all sorted but they did a brilliant job despite the fact that I have some fairly dire other health conditions too. Go for it, you,ll be glad you did.