closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling To Watchfinder

Selling To Watchfinder

I've always sold my watches on here, but when something didn't find a buyer quickly recently, I decided to try the trade. I have several observations which might help others in the same situation, and considering a sale to Watchfinder.

I was surprised to find that all the offers from the trade were at (or higher than) the price I'd failed to sell at on here. Watchfinder offered a range of prices subject to viewing. The top price was the best on offer, and the bottom price, roughly on a par with the worst. I rang them to clarify and they confirmed that if the watch was as described, it would be the higher price.

On receiving the watch, they promised a firm price within 48 hours. That didn't happen, and then the weekend got in the way. The price finally offered on the following Monday was roughly half way between high and low prices quoted. No explanation was given as to why the value had been downgraded from my phone call, but it was still the best offer so I accepted. Then got an email back saying payment would be received within 5 working days. I've no idea why it should take 5 working days, but it did. Another weekend getting in the way meant two weeks had passed between despatching the watch and receiving payment.

In summary, pretty surprised and pleased with the price achieved, less so with the speed at which the transaction was conducted. In particular, I see no reasonable reason why it should take 5 working days to receive payment. There may be one, but it isn't communicated.

Master
    don't know whether it is just the brands/ models I have asked for quotes on, but have always found the initial quote very poor. Last time I asked they offered £6-800 for a watch that was in much better condition (and with bracelet rather than strap), and 7 years newer of a model they were selling for £1595. I appreciate they need to make a profit but given their price would have been at least double their maximum offer it's fair to say I wasn't impressed, and I don't think I'm being too unrealistic.

Master
    Well I'll chime in with my experience from the last couple of weeks...

I wanted to sell my Omega SMP 2531 so I clicked the link on their site and popped in a request to sell. I received and text immediately telling me them at they will be in touch shortly. About 30 mins or so later I received another text notifying me that I had an email regarding the sale of my watch. The email stated they would give me between £800-£1000 for my SMP...

I left it for about 6 days and then spotted a watch on their site that I liked the look of which was an Omega SMP Chronograph on sale for £3150... I gave them a call and asked for a quote on a part exchange and told the guy all about my watch and he said he'd come back to me with a price. 10 minutes later I get a phone call and the guy says I'll get between £1000-£1200 for my watch depending on condition but if it's in great condition like I said it was then he said they'll try to give me as much as possible.

I agreed and sent in my watch and within an hour of them receiving my watch I got a call from the same guy saying that they are happy to give me the top amount of £1200...

Long story short, I agreed and paid the balance of £1950 and my new watch arrived the following day.

A pleasant experience on my part and felt I got a fair price for my SMP.

Just to note; the new watch had a defect and I have sent it back today and they have agreed to refund me the full amount of £3150. They had agreed to get it repaired under warranty but I didn't want that option.

Tony

Master
    I've had a couple of (what I consider to be) low ball offers from them on watches over the years and have only actually done a deal with them once on a part-exchange basis. They offered me very little on a Tag Monza until I expressed an interest in part-exchanging on a Monaco, at which point the numbers began to get more realistic. I think the old cliché of 'never accept the first offer' probably holds true.

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    don't know whether it is just the brands/ models I have asked for quotes on, but have always found the initial quote very poor. Last time I asked they offered £6-800 for a watch that was in much better condition (and with bracelet rather than strap), and 7 years newer of a model they were selling for £1595. I appreciate they need to make a profit but given their price would have been at least double their maximum offer it's fair to say I wasn't impressed, and I don't think I'm being too unrealistic.
    Depending on the watch I normally look at the dealers current price and halve it or take off two thirds and that gives a good ball park for what you will be offered. On occasion I have been totally low-balled (on an Oris, two Maurice Lacroix and Raymond Weil!).

What I have found with them is that if they have a few examples of what you are trying to sell them in stock then the price offered will be lower, as obviously demand hasn't outstripped supply.

I have found though that I have gotten better prices from them than what I advertised on SC - I will always try to give first dibs on SF as I prefer the watches to stay in the community but given the proliferation of b*tch fighting going on with some of the threads it is little wonder people take the easier option and go to WF.

I have found Blowers to be generous sometimes on purchase offers so worth bearing in mind too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Depending on the watch I normally look at the dealers current price and halve it or take off two thirds and that gives a good ball park for what you will be offered. On occasion I have been totally low-balled (on an Oris, two Maurice Lacroix and Raymond Weil!).
    Whilst I doubt they would have ended up at £600, that was barely more than 25% of the RRP which was more than £2k... perhaps if I had pressed them I would have had a better experience as with some of the other stories above...

I have sold about 5 watches to them in the last year and price has been higher than what I had put them up initially. I find now I get a price from them before listing.

I find them great to deal with.

Just done a deal with them on the phone, after reading this thread!
    Very pleased with the offer I received (about £350 more than the last one to sell on SC) and a tiny discount off my purchase too.
    They will receive my watch on Wednesday, and mine will arrive on Thursday.

Very friendly, professional, and helpful on the phones.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Just done a deal with them on the phone, after reading this thread!
    Very pleased with the offer I received (about £350 more than the last one to sell on SC) and a tiny discount off my purchase too.
    They will receive my watch on Wednesday, and mine will arrive on Thursday.

Very friendly, professional, and helpful on the phones.
    Most of the volume going through the used channels is Omega, Panerai, Rolex, Tudor, stuff that's sold used at a price quite close to brand new, then Breitling, TAG, Cartier, a bit more off. Stuff that turns over fast will be OK; other brands you'll take a bath on.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I've found them good. In particular the personal service is excellent considering that they look to be handling a large number of transactions. As I don't live too far from Maidstone I was able to do my recent deal in person and I was happy with everything.

I have found then decent to deal with as well

Journeyman
    Used them a few times now. Plus points are they always come back with a quote sharpish, they're professional and straight forward to deal with. Been in to the London shop a couple of times and they are genuinely enthusiastic about watches, they're proper watch nuts. Down side is there quotes can be variable. I did ask them about this the last time I was in and they said that it can depend on what stock they've got in at the time. Also the final price they offer does depend on if its a straight sale or a trade in (which is understandable).

Whilst I haven't got exactly what I wanted in terms of sale price its quick and straight forward and for me if I've decided to get rid of a watch its because I want another one and its go go go. If you got time and patience then sell privately.

Master
    I sold my IWC Portuguese and Breitling Airwolf to them in the past few months. In both cases I got more money than I was asking for on here.

I had a reasonable deal with them last month on a part/ex Breitling for Breitling

Journeyman
    Was offered more for the watch than the p/x price with Iconic so they seem reasonable.

The only thing I would say when the watch was inspected was offered the lower of the prices they quote as the watch needed to go back to zenith because it was out of tolerance. When I questioned it because it was only 6 months old and only worn a couple of times got offered the higher amount without any explanation.
    Not sure if anyone else has had similar experiences?