closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sunburn - top tips

Sunburn - top tips

Sunshine may be a way of life for many in more exotic parts, but here in blighty it remains a challenge.

Saturday marked the annual game of golf - always a chance to 'enjoy' a bit of vitamin D, although 36 holes means every chance to encounter too much ultraviolet.

Previous, very uncomfortable bouts of sunburn prompted a heavy investment in good sunblock - so this year I came prepared with a bottle of SPF50 Eucerin from Boots.

Liberal application all over exposed skin should have eliminated every risk of burning. A few minutes after putting it on, I did also think that maybe the vibrations from my usual poor drives would not be good news for my Sinn 757, so I took it off and left it in the car.

These decisions were made in the wrong order. I now have a watchstrap shaped patch of very painful sunburn on my wrist.

Stupid stupid stupid...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Living in the south of Spain I have to agree with you.
    We see the sun burn unprotected white Brit skin within half hour here. Still they stay in it for hours, sufferinf for the rest of the hollidays.
    Next year; repeat.

I wish you a none too painfull recovery.
    Next time just leave the watch on. It will be none the worse.

Banned
    Liberal and repeated apllications of spirit vinegar until it feels cool should mean a tan rather than a burn.

But needs a few more applications than you think.

Master
    Move to Scotland. Risk eliminated at a stroke.

To be replaced by being eaten alive by the bloody midges.

factor 50 all over...

I've been sunburned by the shiny reflection off the shiny sides of a seiko

so take it on or off - you can't win with UV - it gets you in the shade - its the levels that are high in summer that burn you not just feeling hot for a bit

Master
    I know that yoghurt or soured cream take the heat out of it...sounds strange but it does work, leave it on for at least half an hour

Aloe vera heals it really well too

Agreed on the aloe vera front, upon getting burned badly this year in very strong Arkansan sun I was presented with a bottle of gel based on the stuff to smear on... It was a pretty solid burn, very very pink and continued developing into the evening - but I slept remarkably well considering, and by the next morning any soreness had largely subsided with the pinkness fading away fairly quickly.

Also once I was away from the lady with the aloe, I used a whole load of Nivea too. Seems moisturising with whatever you've got is good, and aloe is good too...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post

so take it on or off - you can't win with UV - it gets you in the shade -
    Good point that.
    At lower latitudes, lightweight clothing, lightweight parasol etc. still lets through a surprising amount of UV. Sunblock is stíll necessary if your skin is not seriously accustomed to it.

When the skin has been burned by too much UV there is no turning that back. The only thing left is reducing the bother. A fine line between applying whatever takes your fancy and agitating the affected area.
    I get a LÓT of souther sun and sometime a bit too much. Then I apply after-sun, anywhichone lying about, in the evening and possibly Bepanthol lotion after the morning shower.
    If the skin is seriously burned, then care must be taken that the soft wet skin appearing from under the shed top layer does not dry out and crack.

+1 Aloe Vera.

And keep your burnt area out of the sun until it has healed.

Master
    (citation needed) but I'm pretty sure that the incidence of skin cancer is related to the number of times you get sunburnt as opposed to the amount of sun you soak up.

I'm fortunate with a Mediterranean complexion (no idea where from, Mother was an English Rose and father is of Viking stock) that I don't burn unless I [U]really[U] get over-exposed. My wife on the other hand is a milky skinned redhead with freckles, that must lurk vampire-like in the dark for fear of crisping up and bursting into flames.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    (citation needed) but I'm pretty sure that the incidence of skin cancer is related to the number of times you get sunburnt as opposed to the amount of sun you soak up.
    Living under the andalucian sun we encounter quite a bit of attention and emphasis on that.
    Exposure to sunlight is not the issue. It is damage done by óverexposure.
    Controlled tanning is ok but white skin getting burned to a crisp very risky.

Aloe Vera

If you can get it fresh from the plant even better

Fresh chopped toms also or yoghurt

You'll end up like a pizza!

All work well, the yoghurt is ace if you get caught out on holiday

Went to Lanzarote last week.Two days in the sun without suitable protection and peeled it off within another 2 days.I never learn.

Grand Master
    Best cure for sunburn is time. Alcohol in copious quantities will relieve the discomfort.

Paul

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Went to Lanzarote last week.Two days in the sun without suitable protection and peeled it off within another 2 days.I never learn.
    That is what I wrote

The first (half) hour is the most critical for white skin with little pigmentation, not accustomed to direct sunlight.

Nearly healed - but still can't put a watch on it.

2 x aloe vera + 1 x savlon + 72 hours

Journeyman
    Another vote for Aloe Vera.

Master
    The sports aerosol spray blocks are great these days - go on like a thin varnish and you don't even know you have sun block on

Mmmm yea the often forgotten whitest patch of skin , apart from the nether regions of course, I use spf30-50 and still limit my time in the sun. My missus will do spf10 at best and burn every time, sunburn ruins hols and we Brits seem the worst offenders

I burnt the top of my legs on holiday in India this year and used aloe vera with neem, kept the burnt area covered for a few days to not make anything worse and I was fine. It lasted a day or two and didn't ruin the holiday.

Blog Entries
    Riemann P20 - I've always found this to be excellent and water resistant to the levels of almost water proof.

If your skin is quite red and hot then I would recommend something to take the heat out of the skin first, before applying any of the remedies mentioned above.

When my wife got the worse sunburn on her back she's ever had, a cold damp towel worked wonders. We had to keep re-wetting it with fresh cold water for a while. We then applied some sort of after sun lotion. End result was her back did not even peel.

Blog Entries
    I know it's a fake ... but I wish it weren't

z

Epaderm cream, or hydromol as a base, mix in a few drops of good quality lavender oil. Works well.

Ditto endorsing the aloe as well.