closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lemania Chrono

Lemania Chrono

Hi
    A colleague of mine has just shown me his Lemania chrono he aquired off his late Grandfather. He's done s bit of research regarding the brand but doesn't know much more about the watch as it wasn't issued to his Grandfather.
    Any thoughts much appreciated.

Last edited by davida; 7th July 2015 at 18:58.

Journeyman
    That looks like a rather nice example of the Lemania single-button chronograph, with a Tritium-lumed dial (thats the T in a circle) and pheon (the broadarrow denoting govenment property) in a series 1 case with the original fixed lugs. If you open the case you'll probably find a gilded (gold coloured) manual wind, unsigned, movement in this earlier example (rhodium plated for the later ones I've seen).

These were issued to various departments of the British armed services between the mid 1940s to mid 1970s. They would be stamped with various codes on the case back which changed over the years. This one is stamped 'A.M' for Air Ministry, '6B' (usually found as 6BB) for the RAF, '551 217' I'm not familiar with but by convention these numbers would refer to the type of watch (chronograph, wristwatch) and '53' would be the year that it was recieved into the RAF stores. Typically, they would be issued to flight crew, particularly navigators.

It would be nice to see a shot of the movement if possible to confrim some of this, and learn if your colleague's grandfather had any military connections.

I think these are cracking watches. At 38mm in diameter they are a good size for a vintage watch and very wearable today. Well worth getting it serviced and hanging on to as a valuable heirloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post

I think these are cracking watches. At 38mm in diameter they are a good size for a vintage watch and very wearable today. Well worth getting it serviced and hanging on to as a valuable heirloom.
    ...or sell it on...to me of course ;-)
    (just joking, I've got the same watch AM 6b/551, just ten years younger;-)

Beautiful watch!
    Last edited by Geronimo; 7th July 2015 at 15:02.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    As far as he knows his Grandfather didn't have any military connections so he's going to try and find out more of how he came to own it.
    At the moment he wears it on a leather aviator style strap but I have a few Nato's for him to try. Any idea what would have come with the watch when issued?
    Here a pic of the movement. Engraved on it is Lemania Watch Co, Swiss, 17 jewel and 667058.

Last edited by davida; 8th July 2015 at 18:27.

Nice Lemania from '53!

Got to be the from the first batch.

I have an AM 6B/551 from 1965.

How about an image of your '63.

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    ...or sell it on...to me of course ;-)
    (just joking, I've got the same watch AM 6b/551, just ten years younger;-)

Beautiful watch!

Sure, why not?

Last edited by Geronimo; 9th July 2015 at 08:46.

Cheers Geronimo,

I posted my Air Ministry issued Lemania on Military Watch Resource and I don't think any other AM issued chronographs showed up. Now we have 3 in the same post on a sub-forum of TZ UK, that's pretty good I reckon. I think Terry Andrews on MWR keeps records of Lemania issued chronographs, would think he'll be interested in recording the '53 issued chronograph, if the OP could be bother to post on MWR.

p.s Geronimo, is that a non-lumed dial?

Sure, why not?

"p.s Geronimo, is that a non-lumed dial? "

No, I think it is just dull after all these years...

I see yours has the asymetric case, of which I also have one from 1965 (6BB) ;-)

Last edited by Geronimo; 9th July 2015 at 10:16.

Cool watches, I have a P dial.

:)

Lemania HS9

I'm sure you're right, although absence of T on your '63 dial might indicate the contrary.

Nice 6BB from '63.

Sorry to OP for hijacking thread.

"p.s Geronimo, is that a non-lumed dial? "

No, I think it is just dull after all these years...

I see yours has the asymetric case, of which I also have one from 1965 (6BB) ;-)

Wow, some fantastic watches. I 'll join and post it on MWR if anyone thinks it will be of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Wow, some fantastic watches. I 'll join and post it on MWR if anyone thinks it will be of interest?
    No, no...post it to me! It's a birth year watch for me and I love it. Just joking (first bit only).

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    No, no...post it to me! It's a birth year watch for me and I love it. Just joking (first bit only).
    Wish it was mine to post on to you lol
    My colleague has no intention of parting with it. I only found out he owned it after he noticed my Sub and we then got chatting about watches.

Crazy Lemania!

Lovely Lemania, really lovely.
    Quite often these were worn on Bonklip bracelets, but photos mostly show this for the Fleet Air Arm ones, not Air Ministry.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Lovely Lemania, really lovely.
    Quite often these were worn on Bonklip bracelets, but photos mostly show this for the Fleet Air Arm ones, not Air Ministry.
    Dave
    Thanks so much for the link.

Journeyman

Lemania

Nice. Thought of getting one many years back when my friend had a couple. Oh well....