closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 40 Wedding Anniversary - What Present?

Journeyman

Question 40 Wedding Anniversary - What Present?

It's my Mam & Dad's 40th Wedding Anniversary in 2 weeks, and I'm struggling for inspiration...

What do you buy a couple that have everything?

Any inspiration would be greatly appreciated.

Master
    You haven't indicated a budget for this but it should be something that they both enjoy, obviously, and here's two ideas.....

First up some kind of trip... weekend in Paris... two nights in a nice country hotel somewhere... an activity weekend somewhere...

Secondly there's the sort of "here's a thing" gift but you've already said they have everything and I assume that you refer to the sort of household and personal stuff there. How about a piece of art? What about something for their garden?

Just a couple of thoughts... I'm sure some more imaginative ideas will pop up shortly.

Rob

Journeyman
    Cheers BB.

My thought so far have been a weekend in Ireland or the Lake District, as I know that they like both.

Budget wise, I'm not that mithered. They wouldn't appreciate having too much spent on them though, as that's just how they are.

For my parents 50th last year I got them a voucher for their favourite log cabin site in Norfolk. It was agreed with the owners they could do a long weekend (Fri-Mon) or Mon-Fri of their choosing giving my parents flexibility. I didn't want to restrict them to dates

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    You haven't indicated a budget for this but it should be something that they both enjoy, obviously, and here's two ideas.....

First up some kind of trip... weekend in Paris... two nights in a nice country hotel somewhere... an activity weekend somewhere...

Secondly there's the sort of "here's a thing" gift but you've already said they have everything and I assume that you refer to the sort of household and personal stuff there. How about a piece of art? What about something for their garden?

Just a couple of thoughts... I'm sure some more imaginative ideas will pop up shortly.

Rob
    I have zero imagination, your ideas sound pretty good though.

Plant or shrub for the garden - roses can be nice with lots of interesting names ?

A full pardon :-)

Master
    If they don't need for much materially, how about something completely indulgent? Depends if they're into that kind of thing, but 1975 is apparently regarded as a great year for Sauternes (I'm no wine expert, but I was looking into it for my wife's 40th which is also this year..)

I personally couldn't justify the stretch to a Château d'Yquem (which is meant to be truly phenomenal..) but there are others which are only marginally less highly rated, but a little more sensibly priced. eg: Château Rieussec, which I managed to pick up a bottle of for around €100 from an auction site last week. There's aways a risk with old wines of course, especially if you don't know if its been stored properly, but I figured it would be a fun thing to try and worth the punt.

Anyway, a leftfield suggestion if you're struggling for ideas.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    A full pardon :-)
    Ha, best one yet! Might be asking a bit much with that though :D
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    If they don't need for much materially, how about something completely indulgent? Depends if they're into that kind of thing, but 1975 is apparently regarded as a great year for Sauternes (I'm no wine expert, but I was looking into it for my wife's 40th which is also this year..)

I personally couldn't justify the stretch to a Château d'Yquem (which is meant to be truly phenomenal..) but there are others which are only marginally less highly rated, but a little more sensibly priced. eg: Château Rieussec, which I managed to pick up a bottle of for around €100 from an auction site last week. There's aways a risk with old wines of course, especially if you don't know if its been stored properly, but I figured it would be a fun thing to try and worth the punt.

Anyway, a leftfield suggestion if you're struggling for ideas.
    Wine is a great shout! Any auction site in particular, as I'm assuming that you didn't use ebay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchester View Post

Wine is a great shout! Any auction site in particular, as I'm assuming that you didn't use ebay.
    It was through a site called Catawiki. There's a .co.uk site, but it seems to be mainly Dutch & German sellers.

Get them a painting. You've left it about six to eight months too late to get something commissioned but you could try local galleries for a nice landscape of one of their favourite places
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    It was through a site called Catawiki. There's a .co.uk site, but it seems to be mainly Dutch & German sellers.
    Thanks again.

Is there anyway to ensure that it's been stored correctly? And how about the condition, whilst in transit? Any questions that should be asked of the seller, that you'd recommend?

Try this UK site for wine:

https://www.bidforwine.co.uk

Or you could buy a vintage bottle direct from Berry Bros & Rudd, Seckford Wines, Farr Vintners etc - just google to find their websites, but buying from these are 100% safe - auction sites from private individuals is more of a gamble unless the seller states that it has been kept in a temperature controled environment.

I keep mine in 46 bottle electronic wine store (like a fridge) at 11 degrees, but if someone keeps it in the kitchen - run a mile.

Master
    Long service medal?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Try this UK site for wine:

https://www.bidforwine.co.uk

Or you could buy a vintage bottle direct from Berry Bros & Rudd, Seckford Wines, Farr Vintners etc - just google to find their websites, but buying from these are 100% safe - auction sites from private individuals is more of a gamble unless the seller states that it has been kept in a temperature controled environment.

I keep mine in 46 bottle electronic wine store (like a fridge) at 11 degrees, but if someone keeps it in the kitchen - run a mile.
    Top links them, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Long service medal?
    Ha so true, might make my old fella a certificate :D

Craftsman
    I bought mine a hot air balloon flight, which they loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Manchester View Post

I was in Hedonism Wines yesterday and they had a huge range of wines - some going back 1800's and beyond and I am sure they would deliver if can't easily collect.

http://hedonism.co.uk/wines/

Just looked at 1975 - hopefully they like port or you are feeling very generous !

Red wine is a good shout, the 40th also being the Ruby wedding anniversary...

Master
    I would look to the 'experiences' side. I got my dad a family day at a Falconry centre and my mum and dad took the 2 grandchildren and had a great time. I know people who have been for taster sessions at Michelin starred restaurants and rave about that. If they like food something like a days cookery course in the Lakes or similar. How about hiring a canal boat out for them for a day? Tour of Anfield? ;-)

I got my parents one of these Swarovski figures - the rose simulating the red of the ruby http://www.thecrystallodge.co.uk/con...se-you-1077419

Journeyman
    I'm gonna go for a 2 night break, and search for some wine. They'll be made up.

Thanks all for the ideas.