closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 115200 or 15200?

Craftsman

Rolex 115200 or 15200?

Hi All

As some of you may have seen from another thread I have had a less than perfect experience trying to buy a midsize Yachtmaster and have decided to abandon the challenge in favour of something else.

I have done a lot of looking around and think I have decided on a 115200 or a 15200. Any larger than this 34mm case and the lugs hang over the edge of my wrist which I think looks a bit daft.

What I wanted to know is, what do people think of the slightly "fatter" case of the 115200. I have tried a couple on and wonder whether I prefer the old style "sleeker" 15200 case shape. I know the clasps are also different but don't have any particularly strong feelings about this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If it makes any difference, I want an oyster strap and probably a salmon face with the simple "stick" markers. i don't particularly like the models with the "3.6.9" markers.

Thanks
    Last edited by sazzle; 25th June 2015 at 15:17.

Master
    Advice to a newbie (and all the other culprits!) - it's really helpful if you post a couple of photos (just stock google images) for comparison - it "draws people in" and makes it more likely to get reponses. Plus I had no idea what a "115200" was until I googled it - thought it sounded like an AP number, but it's apparently a Rolex one.

115200 (one of the many different variants);

15200 (one of the many different variants);

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sazzle View Post
    simple "stick" markers.
    "baton" markers.

You can also get these with roman numeral markers too - I think these are precious metal versions?

Craftsman
    Many thanks ach5. Duly noted!

Master
    PS for my money, this is the one to get;

The white gold bezel is amazing "in the flesh".

The one I nearly bought had a slight champage coloured starburst effect to the dial, but I cant find the exact reference for that dial, but it essentially looked just like the one above.

EDIT - this is the dial colour, but it had the white gold fluted bezel - the combination was sublime, but on quickly google-imaging I cant now find this combination
    Last edited by ach5; 25th June 2015 at 11:11.

Craftsman
    Thank you. That dial colour is lovely.

I think I like the salmon colour the most, although I have also seen a dark grey that was nice. I currently wear a 1970's Rolex Oyster with the traditional silver face and baton markers. This has served me well but I fancy something a little larger and also a bit different so am keen to have something other than a silver dial this time.

I tried on a model with a white gold bezel and agree that it is lovely, I think I will stick with the stainless steel this time though. I also prefer the smooth finish.

I probably should have mentioned that I am looking to buy a pre-owned watch rather than new.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    "baton" markers.
    You seem rather certain about that. What makes you think that "stick" is incorrect?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    You seem rather certain about that. What makes you think that "stick" is incorrect?
    Nothing in particular. Why does it trouble you so?!

But he's right
    Baton markers: Commonly referred to as stick markers, any straight-line marker used in place of numbers on a watch.

from
    http://www.hydeparkjewelers.com/watch-glossary.aspx

Would also go for a datejust instead of a date.. Almost everyone can handle the 36mm of a datejust.

^
    Not troubled at all, just curious. I'd assumed the terms were interchangeable until I saw a remark on the subject in Hodinkee's recent article on the 116000 model, though that commenter takes the opposite stance.

Regarding the 15200 vs. 115200 thing — it's not only the case profile that makes the newer version appear less svelte, but also the polished centre links and lugs.

Craftsman
    I must be the exception to the rule then! I am female and have tiny wrists. The lugs of the 36mm case "hang" over the side of my wrist and the bracelet ends up pulling back on itself. I think this looks a bit silly.

I know big watches are "in" for girls, but I am not sure that I can pull it off!

I must be the exception to the rule then! I am female and have tiny wrists. The lugs of the 36mm case "hang" over the side of my wrist and the bracelet ends up pulling back on itself. I think this looks a bit silly.

I know big watches are "in" for girls, but I am not sure that I can pull it off!
    Stick to what suits you best, don't follow the sheeple.
    Yes the big watch for girls is 'in' but to me it just looks like they've nicked the significant other's watch. You can see the way they are worn as pure jewellery all janglly and loose

Craftsman
    Thanks rob-vicar.

I had noticed the "jangly" thing. Whilst that might be ok with something bought from Argos I would have thought it would lead to a lot of uncecessary knocks and dings. I like to look after my watches and think anything that hangs over my wrist is going to get knocked more often.

I will stick with the 34mm case which I have tried and tested.

Grand Master
    Only problem with adding pics is the time it takes to mess around putting pics into photobucket. If there are quick ways I haven`t learned them yet!

Far quicker to type a few lines than mess around with pics.....at least for me it is. If folks don`t know what you're on about it's easy enough to find out....every day's a school day.

As for the OP's question, best bet is to try both. Bear in mind that 115200 will be a newer watch, which is usually and advantage. I`m not a fan of Rolex's fatter lugs on the Subs etc but I think the Datejust and 115200 look finer. They're different when compared to the earlier ones, but the design works OK. The larger models with fat lugs look clumsy IMO. I agree with Rob-Vicar's comment, buy what suits you and don`t get drawn into the fashion for wearing watches that are too big.

Whatever you go for, don`t fall into the trap of trying to buy a bargain. accept that Rolex ownership doesn`t come cheap and be prepared to pay a bit extra for a top example......and be sure to handle the watch before buying.

Blowers or Miltons are worth a look.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 25th June 2015 at 16:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If there are quick ways I haven`t learned them yet!
    There are massively quicker ways than that, involving just a couple of clicks... there's a sticky on it somewhere.

Craftsman
    Thank you. I have looked at Blowers and Miltons (and just about every other online dealer I can find). They don't have anything at the moment but I am in no rush and am happy to wait for the right one to come along.

Thanks for you help

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Sazzle

Have you looked at the new 34mm Oyster Perpetual models? The Red grape dial looks amazing

http://m.rolex.com/watches/baselworl...7200-0017.html

Craftsman
    Thanks Gav, that's great!

I had tried the red grape dial - it was pretty "plum" in the flesh. Lovely though.

I hadn't seen the green before, and the grey with the blue "dots" is right up my street.

However, I think it will have to be a used on this occasion and I doubt any of these will have found their way on to the pre owned market yet. I will have to be very patient to wait for one of these to come up!

Thanks for the link to the brochure though, that's really helpful.

Craftsman
    p.s. does anyone know when the new Oyster perpetual models will be available in the UK? It would be a shame to not at least try one out for size...

Master
    Blog Entries
    p.s. does anyone know when the new Oyster perpetual models will be available in the UK? It would be a shame to not at least try one out for size...
    The 36mm ones are already in the dealers, judging from
    previous years late summer

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure of your budget, Iconic Watches seem to have a good reputation and you can get reasonable discount off new - worth considering?

Craftsman
    Thankyou. That isn't a website that I had come across. I'll definitely give them a look.

As for budget, I'm unsure myself at the moment. I think I'm more concerned about finding something I love.

These were lovely in 31mm. Should find one under 2k
    Either in this dial or the baby blue batons.

Craftsman
    Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

Master
    Where's 100thmonkey when you need him, I'm sure he'd be able to help in sourcing a Rolex for you. Drop him a PM and he'll probably give you his mobile number for a chat. Lovely chap too, very helpful
    Last edited by oiljam; 27th June 2015 at 08:16.

Craftsman
    Thankyou for the tip

Purchased from Iconic earlier this year. No regrets - watch or dealer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Purchased from Iconic earlier this year. No regrets - watch or dealer.

I like that a lot. I'm thinking about getting a DJ 36mm myself. I think I would have had one already if it hadn't been for the polished centre links, there's no way I could keep them looking as they should. I've already found my sub is prone to scratches on the polished bits. It's been suggested that some dealers may swap out a bracelet for a full brushed one, I've yet to ask around but I will.

Craftsman
    That is lovely. I particularly like the red date wheel.

Now that I have seen the new oyster perpetual range I might be tempted to wait until the 34mm version of that is out and see if I can get a good deal on one of those. I particularly like the olive green dial and the new model has the benefit of having all brushed links (as far as I can see from the pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    I think I would have had one already if it hadn't been for the polished centre links, there's no way I could keep them looking as they should. I've already found my sub is prone to scratches on the polished bits. It's been suggested that some dealers may swap out a bracelet for a full brushed one, I've yet to ask around but I will.
    Had a full brushed bracelet been available, I would probably have chosen it without much hesitation. It turns out that the polished centre links rather suit the watch and I now wouldn't want to have it any other way. I'm tolerant of scratches (within reason), but I can see that the prospect of scratches could be a deterrent.

That is lovely. I particularly like the red date wheel.
    It's a 'roulette' wheel, so the date is red or black on alternate days. A rare piece of frivolity from Rolex.

Master
    A jubilee bracelet means no worry about scratches.

Craftsman
    That may be the case but Ive always preferred the look of the oyster bracelet. The jubilee looks a bit fancy for my taste. Thanks for the suggestion though, i may try one out.

Quality

Hi All

As some of you may have seen from another thread I have had a less than perfect experience trying to buy a midsize Yachtmaster and have decided to abandon the challenge in favour of something else.

I have done a lot of looking around and think I have decided on a 115200 or a 15200. Any larger than this 34mm case and the lugs hang over the edge of my wrist which I think looks a bit daft.

What I wanted to know is, what do people think of the slightly "fatter" case of the 115200. I have tried a couple on and wonder whether I prefer the old style "sleeker" 15200 case shape. I know the clasps are also different but don't have any particularly strong feelings about this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If it makes any difference, I want an oyster strap and probably a salmon face with the simple "stick" markers. i don't particularly like the models with the "3.6.9" markers.

Thanks

Quality

Hi there. I think the 15200 is the better choice. A Rolex dealer (with 50 years experience) told me that the modern post 2003 (roughly) were not as solid as the older ones. He viewed the older ones as being far sturdier and has he described ‘honest’ Watch. He found the new ones too flashy. I have had a few Rolex over the years and in my opinion he is correct. New ones still superb of course and this is merely his educated opinion.
    I have just bought a 1986 15200 and it really does feel solid and dependable.

I must respectfully offer the contrary opinion to Jonhfitzalanblankhurst. In my humble opinion every successive model of Rolex is an improvement on it's predecessor (if it were structurally or mechanically a step backwards then the brand's reputation would suffer greatly). Note that I'm not referring to style or design here, and appreciate a lot of folk prefer earlier models in those respects.
    Benefits of a newer pre-owned watch include the engraved serial number on the rehaut (helps provenance), a superior clasp (Oyster clasps took a massive leap forward with the 6 digit professional models so I imagine similar occurred with the 115200), and service history or impending service required (to be considered from approx. 10 years).
    Also a bracelet would usually be suffering less 'stretch' on a newer watch.
    Happy hunting and enjoy whatever you end up choosing!

Have to agree with Halitosis. Earlier models have their charm but not more sturdy or solid. 'More honest' is just a bit of bias. Preferring one over the other is a personal choice.