closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega SM300 vintage

Craftsman

Omega SM300 vintage

Looking at some pictures of the SM300 vintage watches with date and non date versions and a very lovely watch indeed, can anyone offer any advise on the pitfalls of trying to source/buy this particular model and any dealers/websites who offer these 2 models.

Thanks in advance

Banned
    Be aware of dodgy sellers with "prototype" dials.

If you definitely want vintage as well beware of the watchco versions out there. I have an SM300 built from service parts and it is obviously mint so be careful you don't mix these up with REAL vintage pieces.

I suppose the service part builds don't have serial numbers on the cases? I should know this owning one but I haven't looked.

Inside the case back, different numbers for the "watchco" versions, however lots of vintage cases with luminova dials, hands and bezels about.

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post

I suppose the service part builds don't have serial numbers on the cases? I should know this owning one but I haven't looked.

Remember finding this useful at the time!

http://scubawatch.org/hallofshame.html

Craftsman
    Thanks for the leads guys and sounds like a potential minefield out there for the inexperienced.

I don't suppose there is anywhere out there where one can see one in the flesh, I do travel round the UK a lot with my work so if anyone knows of a dealer who may have one to look at please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

I build one of new parts to get a "vintage" working diver watch. There is a lot of mixed up ones so if you looking
    for a old one you have to be careful because it's easy to be ripped off.

Here is my one.

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/smrebe.htm

Craftsman
    Jocke

Speechless, that's absolutely stunning you must feel tremendous satisfaction from completing this rebuild. May I ask how long it took from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Jocke

Speechless, that's absolutely stunning you must feel tremendous satisfaction from completing this rebuild. May I ask how long it took from start to finish.
    It took some time to get all the parts then my friend Tony do a service to the movement. I guess you can do
    all the work on a day if you have all the parts you need.

Grand Master
    I`ve built a couple of these from new parts (with a rebuilt old movement) and they can be v. nice provided you accept them for what they are.

For me, you either want one extreme or the other, either a nice example bult from new parts OR a genuine vintage watch with nice patina and a good 'honest' feel about it. Watches with a mish-mash of new and old parts (possibly fake cases and dials) are the ones to avoid, neither fish nor fowl and definitely not desirable IMO.

If I really wanted an original version I`d accept that it won`t be cheap and I`d want good provenance to prove it's all kosher. Trying to buy at bargain prices is a recipe for disaster.

Paul

The website from fiddler69 is a fantastic resource. Thank you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`ve built a couple of these from new parts (with a rebuilt old movement) and they can be v. nice provided you accept them for what they are.

For me, you either want one extreme or the other, either a nice example bult from new parts OR a genuine vintage watch with nice patina and a good 'honest' feel about it. Watches with a mish-mash of new and old parts (possibly fake cases and dials) are the ones to avoid, neither fish nor fowl and definitely not desirable IMO.

If I really wanted an original version I`d accept that it won`t be cheap and I`d want good provenance to prove it's all kosher. Trying to buy at bargain prices is a recipe for disaster.

Paul
    Hi Paul

Thanks for your valued thoughts, I am seriously considering going down this route. Don't know near enough re anything to do with building/sourcing parts etc. but like the idea of an example built from new parts and appreciate that an original version would be a. very expensive and b. a nightmare for the unskilled as myself in trying to source/secure a kosher one.

Thanks
    Tommy

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanFreak View Post
    The website from fiddler69 is a fantastic resource. Thank you.
    Thanks

Am in the process of reading, very interesting and informative.

Not seen this before, good roundup.
    Looks like quite a few of Neil's (Flame) photos on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by explorer 1 View Post
    Remember finding this useful at the time!

http://scubawatch.org/hallofshame.html

Great watches. One of the first watches I bought from SC was a watchco built SM300. Kinda miss it if I'm being honest.

Skip the watchco versions.

When you want a later version the link above really helps you out. However when you want a 165.014 or earlier model it is much harder to find a genuine one.

Almost all are frankenwatches..

My 165.014 has a very faded dial but is 100% original and comes with an extract (not for sale by the way). The extract is also helpful on these watches since these auto movements have been delivered to cheaper Omega's as well..

Looking at some pictures of the SM300 vintage watches with date and non date versions and a very lovely watch indeed, can anyone offer any advise on the pitfalls of trying to source/buy this particular model and any dealers/websites who offer these 2 models.

Thanks in advance
    Check out following and good luck with your search:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...litary-watches

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Norman View Post
    Check out following and good luck with your search:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...litary-watches
    Thanks Jack Norman

Plenty of informative reading there to keep me excited over the next couple of evenings whilst away from home.

Craftsman
    Hi guys

Have been looking at a SM300 on chrono site, the watch is originally from the 70's, but most parts where changed by Omega about 10 years ago, movement is 565

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated.

http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/ref-166024.htm

first one has case and hands replaced

the second one is almost entirely service parts (whether omega or not)

Journeyman
    Good job

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    first one has case and hands replaced

the second one is almost entirely service parts (whether omega or not)
    Agreed. I`d want some proof that all the parts used in the second example were sourced from Omega.

Paul

...and keep away from this one, a complete fake, with fake certificate/expertise ;-)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/OMEGA-SEAMAST...item4af04222a5

Craftsman
    Thanks guys

Ive emailed the seller asking a few questions (re watch on bracelet) and he has verified - quote "every part has been changed except of the movement, so you get a „new“ watch"

I have replied back asking if he has proof of work carried out by Omega but all quite since this afternoon.

Is this watch worth a punt at this asking price?

Thanks in advance.

Craftsman
    http://www.vintage-watches-collectio...document-1966/

This one looks kosher if the seller is to be believed...

It's not a vintage SM300, it's a vintage movement that's been built up into a watch by using modern new service parts, like Watchco do, nothing wrong with that, but it's far from a vintage watch.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    It took some time to get all the parts then my friend Tony do a service to the movement. I guess you can do
    all the work on a day if you have all the parts you need.
    Always happy to assist, Jocke

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    It's not a vintage SM300, it's a vintage movement that's been built up into a watch by using modern new service parts, like Watchco do, nothing wrong with that, but it's far from a vintage watch.
    Ah fully understand however it does look stunning. Have had a reply from the dealer who says it was the previous owner who had the work carried out.

Also there are no service documents to back this up with the dealer quoting "Our watchmaker (Omega Service Level 3) checked the watch and every part is genuine."

Should I proceed with caution or run for the hills ?

Thanks in advance

Depends what you want really, it's a nice watch, the parts are Omega, it just didn't come out of the Omega factory.
    A straight up old original vintage SM300 will cost a fortune though.
    If your happy with it being what it is then it will a great watch.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries

original 300

Hi all,

Few snaps of an totally original vintage SM300 with a gilt 5508.

Even has the original crystal, bracelet, crown an bezel insert.

M
    Last edited by milwatch126; 11th September 2015 at 21:20.

Mine is a parts watch. I bought the parts and a donor watch and sent them off to a watchmaker for service and assembly. I've had it 3 years now and still love wearing it. I enjoy it more than I did the modern Seamasters I have since sold off. A plus is this one has no date and no HE valve, both of which are worthless to me. I did sell off the 1171 bracelet, which I found a bit too lightweight and replaced it with a modern SMP bracelet which fits the watch well but not my wrist. The lack of micro adjustment is a huge failing on modern Omega bracelets IMO.

Craftsman
    milwatch126 - saxon007

Both fine and stunning examples of which i could live with either. Like JasonM quoted I guess the vintage original (good condition) would be exceptionally more expensive.

The Chrono dealer selling the steel bracelet watch can confirm that parts are new Omega parts used but has no proof, is this something to be wary of or could I proceed with confidence.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Out of interest - for those who did it, whats the ballpark all-in figure for buying the parts and a donor watch and having them serviced/assembled?

Mine says Hello... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Out of interest - for those who did it, whats the ballpark all-in figure for buying the parts and a donor watch and having them serviced/assembled?
    Times change, but a couple of years ago I think it could be done for £1100-1400 ish.

If I remember right, I think Omega 'wised up' to the home built specials and if the movement number comes back as not being from a SM300 they get funny about servicing it... I can't remember where or when I heard that though....

Buy the seller, bought mine from Mike Wood

Mine ran about $2000 for everything including service 3 years ago. Prices have gone up considerably since then. I paid $65 for the dial and they are closer to $300 now. My case was about $850 then but Ofrei is getting over $1500 now. I am stunned at how much Omega has raised their prices on everything the last few years.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by primabaleron View Post
    Mine says Hello... :)

Outstanding, a thing of sheer beauty - I take it that this is a build from NOS parts?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashharry View Post

Again I assume vintage, original and stunning

Again I assume vintage, original and stunning
    Yes it is an original vintage. Omega don't make replacement "Big triangle" dials.

Outstanding, a thing of sheer beauty - I take it that this is a build from NOS parts?
    Yes

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    Mine ran about $2000 for everything including service 3 years ago. Prices have gone up considerably since then. I paid $65 for the dial and they are closer to $300 now. My case was about $850 then but Ofrei is getting over $1500 now. I am stunned at how much Omega has raised their prices on everything the last few years.
    Looks fantastic. I'm trying to get the parts together for a dateless Cal. 552 version - does anyone know if there are any NOS dials anywhere?

My first post so apologies in advance if I shouldn't have posted this here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashharry View Post
    He has one listed at the moment at £10k.

The problem with vintage SM 300s is that the lume often ages in a way that makes the watch look horrible. Flashharry’s examples are an exception.

As an aside, I notice that Mike Wood’s listing mentions that the movements are pink gold plated. I have not come across that description before.

Quote Originally Posted by Excessoomph View Post
    Looks fantastic. I'm trying to get the parts together for a dateless Cal. 552 version - does anyone know if there are any NOS dials anywhere?

My first post so apologies in advance if I shouldn't have posted this here.
    I'd prefer an original dial actually, you can always spot them if you look closely ...but my bezel looks as if its seen better times ;-)

Grand Master
    I've had the Watchco SHOM and Baby PloProf,both were great,BUT just didn't have that real feeling of having the real McCoy vintage on your wrist.

I now have a 1970's Baby PloProf which does look and feel as a real vintage should.

Last edited by P9CLY; 11th October 2015 at 15:23.

Which has been re-lumed.
    It is also military so the price is not comparable to the more common non mil or BT dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    He has one listed at the moment at £10k.

The problem with vintage SM 300s is that the lume often ages in a way that makes the watch look horrible. Flashharry’s examples are an exception.

As an aside, I notice that Mike Wood’s listing mentions that the movements are pink gold plated. I have not come across that description before.
    Last edited by watchlovr; 11th October 2015 at 16:01.

Master
    Yes, I saw that :)

My lume comment was about original SM300s in general. Not that it matters, readily corrected if there is no particular rarity or need to preserve.

That “pink gold” movement plating mentioned stood out to me. I now recall this coming up before somewhere so I did a bit of Googling. Evan looking at the way some of them corrode would make one think otherwise:

members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/rgold/rgold.html

I do appreciate that the plating has absolutely no bearing on the value of any SM300, mil or not - it’s just interesting to me.
    Last edited by Si; 12th October 2015 at 09:20.

careful with the above link, my antivirus has reported thus:

"High Risk Website Blocked
    Access has been blocked as the threat Mal/HTMLGen-A has been found on this website."

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    careful with the above link, my antivirus has reported thus:
    Strange, it doesn't do that on my home Mac or here at work. I'll remove the link in any case. If anyone wants to look the address of the page is within your post.