closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Precista PRS-18 vs Seiko SKX007

Precista PRS-18 vs Seiko SKX007

Hi all,

I am currently weighing up whether or not to buy a PRS18. I previously owned a SKX007, so have a feel of this watch.

Does anyone have any experience of both watches in terms of size, wearability, quality etc?

Also, if you have any photo comparisons that would be awesome.

Thanks

You don't say if you're looking at a PRS18 auto or quartz, but the common differences are the PRS has a sapphire crystal and no date, is smaller (but seems taller) and is 300m rated. It also uses 20mm straps compared to 22mm on the Seiko. You could also include the Seiko 7548 if you want to do a more specific quartz comparison.

Funny you should ask this today as I have both and, as I need a new oil sump for my car, one of them has to be sold and I can't decide which.

The 007 is more versatile in terms of it having a bracelet option and it's more classical in that it's a polished / brushed diver that goes with everything. Mine also has excellent timekeeping at 5spd.

The 18Q is a different beast. It's unusual, unique. The beadblasted finish and asymetrical case are definitely unique selling points. It's quartz so no need to think about timekeeping.

Both are extremely wearable and comfortable. The small case of the 18 is a nice change however the 007 wears smaller than any diver I've had of its dimensions.

This one is a tough decision.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    You don't say if you're looking at a PRS18 auto or quartz, but the common differences are the PRS has a sapphire crystal and no date, is smaller (but seems taller) and is 300m rated. It also uses 20mm straps compared to 22mm on the Seiko. You could also include the Seiko 7548 if you want to do a more specific quartz comparison.
    I'm thinking of the Quartz version, but I thought that they were the same size anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Funny you should ask this today as I have both and, as I need a new oil sump for my car, one of them has to be sold and I can't decide which.

Both are extremely wearable and comfortable. The small case of the 18 is a nice change however the 007 wears smaller than any diver I've had of its dimensions.

This one is a tough decision.
    Yes i really like the bead blasted case of the PRS18. How does the 18 wear in cirect comparison to the 007. is it much taller / larger?

Craftsman
    I've got both and I recently purchased the PRS-18Q and I love it!!!! I would defintly pick this over the 007.

I thought not having date would bother me but it doesn't.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by tritium View Post
    I've got both and I recently purchased the PRS-18Q and I love it!!!! I would defintly pick this over the 007.

I thought not having date would bother me but it doesn't.

Hope this helps.
    In some respects I prefer not having a date, as it is one less thing to have to set.

Can you comment on why you prefer the 18?

Quote Originally Posted by siphuncle View Post
    I'm thinking of the Quartz version, but I thought that they were the same size anyway?
    They are, but what's relevant is that you're comparing a quartz against an auto. The more obvious comparison would be against the auto version. If you can do without a date, the 18Q is a good value watch and will be easy enough to sell on if you can't.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 18th June 2015 at 16:40.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    They are, but what's relevant is that you're comparing a quartz against an auto. The more obvious comparison would be against the auto version. If you can do without a date, the 18Q is a good value watch and will easy enough to sell on if you can't.
    Yeah the quartz issue doesn't really bother me too much. I am currently mostly wearing a PRW3000 so I am liking the fact that I don't need to update the time like on an auto.

Journeyman
    I recalled this comparison from another forum when considering between these two.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/pre...-a-770781.html

Some side-by-side photos.

Yeah the quartz issue doesn't really bother me too much. I am currently mostly wearing a PRW3000 so I am liking the fact that I don't need to update the time like on an auto.
    Eddie doesn't ship again until Tuesday, so be quick or you'll have plenty of time to consider it!

Master
    I have both but mine is the 18A, the 007 wears bigger but has shorter lug length, the 18 sits higher.Both are superb watches but if I had to choose one it would be the 18, just as long as you can live without a date.

The PRS-18Q I owned was well-made and seemed bulletproof, but I did find the case a bit blocky and too tall. I could not wear it on anything other than natos as it sat weird on my wrist, but that's of course a very personal issue. I ended up selling it because I missed the date and the blasted finish was too toolish for everyday wear. If it came with a date-window and brushed case, I'd be tempted to get another one.

I have several SKX variants and find that they wear really well and can be combined with loads of bracelets and straps. They always seem to work for me, unless of course it's a really formal occasion.

Master
    I bought an SKX009 from Creation courtesy of a heads up here, and put a strapcode super oyster with sel's on it and at the time thought it was a brilliant bit of kit for the money. It is rock solid, keeps good time and does wear smaller than you would think. It was my go - to beater until I was tempted by the PRS18Q, again influenced by this place.
    I had never worn a nato before the PRS18Q, but it really suits the watch, and is super comfortable. As a quartz it is great to grab and go, it's very well made, and gets more wear than the 009 which is definitely a bigger watch.
    They are both great VFM watches, and I would say get both because they are very different.
    However, if I could keep only one, it would be the PRS18Q

Master
    Have you considered a Stargate? Lots of models to choose from, can't remember what they go for but if you buy from Creation you will no doubt get a good deal.
    Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Have you considered a Stargate? Lots of models to choose from, can't remember what they go for but if you buy from Creation you will no doubt get a good deal.
    Just a thought.
    Ah. I'm actually not a fan of the bezel embellishment on the stargate. I really do like some of the more expensive seikos (shogun, marine master etc), but my budget won't stretch that far at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I bought an SKX009 from Creation courtesy of a heads up here, and put a strapcode super oyster with sel's on it and at the time thought it was a brilliant bit of kit for the money. It is rock solid, keeps good time and does wear smaller than you would think. It was my go - to beater until I was tempted by the PRS18Q, again influenced by this place.
    I had never worn a nato before the PRS18Q, but it really suits the watch, and is super comfortable. As a quartz it is great to grab and go, it's very well made, and gets more wear than the 009 which is definitely a bigger watch.
    They are both great VFM watches, and I would say get both because they are very different.
    However, if I could keep only one, it would be the PRS18Q
    I had the strapcode super oyster on my SKX007 - it was amazing quality for the price. I actually prefer natos though as they are so easy to adjust in small increments.

Hi all,

I am currently weighing up whether or not to buy a PRS18. I previously owned a SKX007, so have a feel of this watch.

Does anyone have any experience of both watches in terms of size, wearability, quality etc?

Also, if you have any photo comparisons that would be awesome.

Thanks
    both are really good . i prefer the 18 because of the asymmetric case and the slightly matt finish. i really like the bezel action and the shape of the bezel and the way the bezel insert relates to the bezel casing. crown is nice too.

007 is a classic auto though, you can't go wrong with either imo. its just down to personal taste.

18 is a bit more unusual . both watches have solid , although very different horological pedigrees.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Pictures speak a good story for me… Personally I would go for the PRS18 as it is no date and keeps it all very clean. Also it also feels utter indestructable and solid. Saying that the 007 is also a tough old beast - it is probably slimmer on the wrist overall.

My other half calls the 18 "your ugly watch" which actually makes me like it that bit more - means its totally ready for duty! Eddie mentioned a while back that he sent one to the SAS HQ, so thats gotta be a decent recommendation. No?

Craftsman

Look how good it looks on orange strap, it's ready for the beach... not been able to take mine off since I got it love it!!!

Look how good it looks on orange strap, it's ready for the beach... not been able to take mine off since I got it love it!!!
    Nice strap. Is that obris Morgan?

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post

My other half calls the 18 "your ugly watch"
    Ha. That does make it seem more attractive!

Craftsman
    Nice strap. Is that obris Morgan?

Yes it is and very good quality for the money.arrived in less than a week from Hong Kong, going to order the black version because its less prone to lint than eddies version.

Yes it is and very good quality for the money.arrived in less than a week from Hong Kong, going to order the black version because its less prone to lint than eddies version.
    Is it different to the normal isofrane?

Pics

Hi,

Hope these pics may help, The 007 is a lot less sticky uppy on the wrist IMHO, but both are damn fine watches

Final Pic is Q vs A,

Cheers, Richie

Craftsman
    Sorry never owned a isofrane, just can't justify the price perhaps other could comment.

Yes. The Isofrane is the best quality rubber I've come across however they're not without issue; the keepers are flimsy and can split and some of the buckles can be very sharp.

From a quality vs cost perspective you can't beat Bonetto Cinturini but they don't do a strap in the style of the Iso and I'm led to believe this is because they are actually the same company.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Yes. The Isofrane is the best quality rubber I've come across however they're not without issue; the keepers are flimsy and can split and some of the buckles can be very sharp.

From a quality vs cost perspective you can't beat Bonetto Cinturini but they don't do a strap in the style of the Iso and I'm led to believe this is because they are actually the same company.
    Yeah I had a bonneto cinturini for my skx. It was amazing quality for the price

Master
    I second that about BC straps, they just get better with age very comfortable, as said just wish they did one in the style of the isoframe.

Both good watches but the PRS 18 is a notch up in quality IMHO
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Hi,

Hope these pics may help, The 007 is a lot less sticky uppy on the wrist IMHO, but both are damn fine watches

Final Pic is Q vs A,

Cheers, Richie
    This is awesome. Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    I second that about BC straps, they just get better with age very comfortable, as said just wish they did one in the style of the isoframe.
    I also like the vanilla smell...

Another vote for the PRS-18

This thread inspired me to grab one of mine and wear it over a nice holiday weekend. Solid as ever!

Having owned two of each, I'd go for a 7548 variant which offers the best aspects of both.