closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some new and interesting this way comes

Some new and interesting this way comes

Lately I've found myself wanting something a bit different from the world of watches. My collection has grown quite nicely in the last 2-3 years, with (in my opinion) a nice mix. However, they're all very 'smart', even the sportier ones like my AP RO which is what I wear most days, and I've been after something a bit different. I can't stretch to anything like a Richard Mille, and Romain Jerome doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid. I really did fancy a Ressence Type 3 after seeing one at SalonQP, but it's proved very hard to get one, so have given up on that for a while. Also at SalonQP, I spent a bit of time on the MB&F stand, and was absolutely blown away by the Horological Machine No 6. Sadly, it costs about £180K and therefore wasn't remotely an option. However, later in the year I went into Marcus on Bond Street, and my fascination with MB&F grew.

Unfortunately, I missed out on the HMXs this week by being too slow, so decided to plump for the following instead. Apologies for the exceedingly crap photos, I just haven't cracked the photographing watches thing yet. But anyway, here goes:

The box is a largeish black rubbery affair, with a sliding lid:

On opening the lid, a hint of the retro contents begins to emerge:

The case itself then, is a very heavy brushed metal, very retro/futuristic affair:

And inside is the MB&F Horological Machine No 5 "On The Road Again": http://www.mbandf.com/machines/horol...es/hm5/#/about

This one is made of black carbonmacrolon, which makes it very light, and despite its size, very comfortable to wear. There's nothing "complicated" about it, it tells the time, but you can read in the link above how it does it. The bi-directional jumping hours are flat inside, but are then reacted by 90degrees and magnified by the use of a prism. I expect a lot of people will hate it; my certainly wife does and my daughter asked me not to wear it when i take her to school! But I love it. It's got louvres that open to let in light, and exhaust holes to dispel water. It's both retro and modern at the same time, and I think it'll be a future classic. The people at MB&F were all lovely when I met them, and I think a lot of this loveliness goes into their watches. Please let me know what you think, whether it's up there with a diamond-studded tiger print Rolex for nastiness, or if you think it's cool. The photos really don't do it justice, so apologies again.

Master
    Well if we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place. Good lord that is terrible though have heard jewellers roar with laughter when these get mentioned in store

I am quite impressed by some of their watches but sadly this is not one of them.
    Still nice to see some novelty instead of another Speedmaster ! It could do with a more appropriate strap.

Not my cup of tea but fair play for going for something a bit different.

I just checked the RRP. OMFG!

The watch is not to my taste, but the box (container) looks amazing. like something out of the Oblivion movie

I saw this and heard Douglas Adams quote (it's Friday so googled for correctness)

"1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
    2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
    3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things."

Sub-zero cool and not even remotely in the same category as a diamond-studded Rolex.

Box is amazing but looks like a wrist radar detector to me

Master
    Blog Entries
    Barkingly mental, I like it. Is the top/back of this one based on the rear window of an old Lamborgini or is that a different MB&F?

Craftsman
    Is it cool - yes.

Would I wear it? I couldn't get away with it...!

Love that HM5 as well as the original inspiration Digitrend, awesomely unique watches :)

Blog Entries
    Love it, utterly different and rather cool.

Master
    Wow, I mean wow. Has anyone on the forum owned an MB&F before?

Dave
    Last edited by dforgrieve; 13th June 2015 at 00:15.

Massive fan of the original, and this is just as cool.

Great purchase. A big from me!

M

Money is irrelevant here, you either can afford things you like/want or not... or do something about it so you can...

I think its rather cool and something different for sure. I like it. Congrats and as they say, wear in good health!

... Silly me.

Reminds me of something from Space 1999 ....

Master
    Oh dear....!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Still nice to see some novelty instead of another Speedmaster ! It could do with a more appropriate strap.
    You'd think, but not really.
    The strap is the least of the #5's problems.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very cool

Master
    Sublime.

A world would be a boring place indeed if we all liked the same things. That said, I personally like it, congrats!

That looks amazing, it's good to see something a little left of field on here. I'd love an MB&F or an Urwerk.
    Last edited by tiny73; 13th June 2015 at 13:02.

Superb and nice to see something a little different ... would love something from Urwerk or a Mr Roboto myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Love it, utterly different and rather cool.
    Ditto! Fantastic to see it on here.

Love it. I'm a big fan of MB&F & Urwek, especially the hm4 Thunderbolt.

If my pockets were deep enough it's certainly the sort of thing i'd get myself, as I think every collection needs something a bit left field - I've had a Corum Dive Bomber & Azimuth Mr Roboto before.

Hats off to you sir
    Last edited by darrenw; 13th June 2015 at 07:53.

Yep, that looks awesome.

Enjoy it
    Last edited by acg; 13th June 2015 at 08:22.

Full marks for effort and what a fascinating piece . It puts me in mind of the Girard Perregaux Casquette which I always said I'd wear if I got the chance and at the right price. I suspect that yours might be in a slightly different league, however.

Great to see that here, I love the way it works. I also agree with you about the HM6.
    F.T.F.A.

Apprentice
    Really cool watch. Wear it in good health.

Amazing watch and design, I love it!
    Love the box/case it comes with as well, all in the whole the watch and case is beautifully futuristic in a retro way. Very Citroen SM.
    Would love to see some more photos of it.
    Thanks for posting it up.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Money is irrelevant here, you either can afford things you like/want or not... or do something about it so you can....
    Did you miss this bit below from the original OP, silly?

"I spent a bit of time on the MB&F stand, and was absolutely blown away by the Horological Machine No 6. Sadly, it costs about £180K and therefore wasn't remotely an option."

The perfect accompaniment to a Miura or a Dino 246GT.

I'd love to know what's in your garage to match this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    This design is strongly reminiscent of 1980s Citroen CX instrumentation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    I really did fancy a Ressence Type 3 after seeing one at SalonQP, but it's proved very hard to get one
    As a matter of interest, what was the difficulty? Not enough of them actually made?

Love it. Totally fantastic! That's what a grail watch should be, slightly bonkers!

I really like the new one they announced a few weeks back as well.

I personally wouldn't wear it but what has that got to do with anything? It is a delight to gaze upon images of something so different from endless photographs of the same old same old as to spark interest in an otherwise jaded mind. I imagine the unboxing made the OP smile like a loon.

Banned
    I like different and unusual more than most on here but I dont think its well executed at all. Im sure its typically well made for the brand but it just doesnt work on many levels from the aesthetic to the functional.

I suspect many are swayed by the brand here. If you had come on wearing something exactly the same but made by Fossil, I suspect the reactions would be rather different...

Anyhow, you did ask for opinions but in the endit is only your own that matters!

Late to the party but congrats OP

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post

I suspect many are swayed by the brand here. If you had come on wearing something exactly the same but made by Fossil, I suspect the reactions would be rather different...
    Possibly yes, in fact, no doubt. But couldn't the same be said of many of the watches we see on here?

Moser, Patek, Romega et al...

I suspect so.