closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinions: Upgrading dress watch - Zenith vs. GO

Craftsman

Opinions: Upgrading dress watch - Zenith vs. GO

Hi guys,

Could use some opinions, have the opportunity to acquire either a Zenith Captain moonphase or a Glashutte Original Panoreserve (the older version, not the Basel 2015 version with lumed hands) within a similar price range - stock pics below

If you've seen my other intro post you'd know I'm looking to trade up in the dress watch department, so I'm really looking for that one "special" dress watch that I reserve for special occasions

Would love your thoughts/opinions on the choice

B

L1160739.jpgmarket_image.2006166.jpg

Master
    I think in this case the Zenith is the obvious choice for an all-round dress watch (it's a more classical design) but I like the look of the GO more, so I believe I would go for the GO here.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mihaixp View Post
    I think in this case the Zenith is the obvious choice for an all-round dress watch (it's a more classical design) but I like the look of the GO more, so I believe I would go for the GO here.
    Yeah, and the caseback of the GO is simply mesmerising - I have always wanted a Zenith though, I feel they're massively underrated for what they are, though I guess the same could be said for Glashutte

B

I would personally go for the Zenith as I think the dial looks less cluttered and more of a classic look.

Master
    If they are the same price, then surely the GO is more heavily discounted? In which case that may be a better option in case it's flipped? Either way, a tough two choices, and a choice which I will also be looking to make at some point in the future after a couple more bases have been covered. Personally I'm slighly more tempted towards to GO at the moment regardless of price.

I would go for the zenith unless you have really deep pockets and own a very big collection.. The zenith is more allround..

Both beautiful pieces, but it's the Zenith for me , both aesthetically and because IMO it meets your brief more comprehensively.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    If they are the same price, then surely the GO is more heavily discounted? In which case that may be a better option in case it's flipped? Either way, a tough two choices, and a choice which I will also be looking to make at some point in the future after a couple more bases have been covered. Personally I'm slighly more tempted towards to GO at the moment regardless of price.
    Yes you're absolutely right, the GO is a little more "loved" than the Zenith i'm looking at, hence the deeper discount - interestingly I dropped Wempe London a call to see what a service/makeover would cost for the GO (in order to factor it in to my offer price) and was quoted a hair raising 800 GBP for it (with the caveat that costs could significantly rise if their watchmakers in Glashutte deem further work necessary), so not massively pleased about that

I just can't get over the GO movement though, and also that nagging feeling that the GO would ultimately be a little more "special" given it's even less mainstream than the Zenith

Decisions decisions... - thanks for all your input so far though, more welcome!

B

Master
    Skip past Wempe – deal with GO directly when it comes to servicing, as they'll be cheaper!

As for the choice – I'm not as fond of the Captain as I am of the Elite.
    The dial is much better balanced, but at least the Captain version you're looking at, is the nicer of the two variants available – although the brand label is too big, whilst better placed.

That said, I much prefer the hands used on the Captain – the first thing I'd seriously do with the Elite, is have them replaced.

Given that the Captain and Elite can be had for less than the GO, and that they've not got the aesthetics wholly right on the Elite, I'd have to say the Glashutte Original is the more perfect option.
    Besides, the full size time display is fairly common – the smaller size (of the GO, ALS, FPJ, etc) is much less so, making it more novel.
    Last edited by PJ S; 10th June 2015 at 13:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaneous1510 View Post
    Yes you're absolutely right, the GO is a little more "loved" than the Zenith i'm looking at, hence the deeper discount - interestingly I dropped Wempe London a call to see what a service/makeover would cost for the GO (in order to factor it in to my offer price) and was quoted a hair raising 800 GBP for it (with the caveat that costs could significantly rise if their watchmakers in Glashutte deem further work necessary), so not massively pleased about that

I just can't get over the GO movement though, and also that nagging feeling that the GO would ultimately be a little more "special" given it's even less mainstream than the Zenith

Decisions decisions... - thanks for all your input so far though, more welcome!

B
    £800!!!! Crikey. Something to consider for a couple of years down the line when I am hoping to pick one up.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Tricky choice. They are both stunning watches. I think the GO has the edge for overall beauty. However I think the Zenith is more dressy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Skip past Wempe – deal with GO directly when it comes to servicing, as they'll be cheaper!

As for the choice – I'm not as fond of the Captain as I am of the Elite.
    The dial is much better balanced, but at least the Captain version you're looking at, is the nicer of the two variants available – although the brand label is too big, whilst better placed.

That said, I much prefer the hands used on the Captain – the first thing I'd seriously do with the Elite, is have them replaced.

Given that the Captain and Elite can be had for less than the GO, and that they've not got the aesthetics wholly right on the Elite, I'd have to say the Glashutte Original is the more perfect option.
    Besides, the full size time display is fairly common – the smaller size (of the GO, ALS, FPJ, etc) is much less so, making it more novel.
    Great shout, I had been looking at the Elite as well but fully share your opinion that it's just those anemic hands that lets it down slightly (I much prefer the traingular rhodium hands on the Captain)

And yeah I guess you've hit the nail on the head, the GO would be something a little more "unique" while the Zenith is ultimately the extremely classy and classic option

I need to do a little more due diligence on the GO, but I think if the dealer accepts my arguments and let's me negotiate a little further down then I'll pull the trigger

B

Master
    £800!!!! Crikey. Something to consider for a couple of years down the line when I am hoping to pick one up.
    On GO's Service section, a quick check reveals their price is €705 on leather strap and €755 on metal bracelet, which includes refurbishing the case/bracelet (leather strap's clasp too, presumably), with a ten week turnaround – after the two week assessment period.
    This, of course, presumes no additional parts will be deemed in need of replacing.
    The watch can be sent to/dropped off at the Swatch Service Centre, to be forwarded on to Glashutte, or it can be picked up directly from the owner (an additional cost) via GO's contracted courier.

Craftsman
    Yeah I was a little shocked, but I guess they are a relatively low-volume high-end brand, just wasn't expecting it to be that much

But as you guys said as well I might reach out to GO directly to see how their prices compare, hadn't realised Wempe would add that much of a premium on the price

Cheers,
    B

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    On GO's Service section, a quick check reveals their price is €705 on leather strap and €755 on metal bracelet, which includes refurbishing the case/bracelet (leather strap's clasp too, presumably), with a ten week turnaround – after the two week assessment period.
    This, of course, presumes no additional parts will be deemed in need of replacing.
    The watch can be sent to/dropped off at the Swatch Service Centre, to be forwarded on to Glashutte, or it can be picked up directly from the owner (an additional cost) via GO's contracted courier.
    That's helpful mate thanks! I guess the GO is looking more and more attractive by the minute

Wempe quote a 12 week turnaround for their more expensive service FYI :P

The Zenith seems to suffer slightly from small movement/large case syndrome - I can't quite get past the way the information seems to be crammed into the watch. I recently had a Zenith in a 35mm case with the hand wound movement and it looked spot on with PR and date position. This is intentionally large cased and to my eyes isn't quite right.

The GO on the other hand is sublime and Eu700 for a service every what, 7-10 years, doesn't seem unreasonable for a low volume manufacturer. Swatch Gruop won't touch them, back to Germany for them.

What will the Zenith be to service, 100 quid less? And it'll be done at the TAG service centre in Manchester!!

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    The Zenith seems to suffer slightly from small movement/large case syndrome - I can't quite get past the way the information seems to be crammed into the watch. I recently had a Zenith in a 35mm case with the hand wound movement and it looked spot on with PR and date position. This is intentionally large cased and to my eyes isn't quite right.
    That was my take as well. I also think the application of the Grande Date looks somewhat half-hearted on the Zenith whereas the GO looks spot on. The only nag I would have would be what about the thickness of each watch - it may just be a trick of the eye but my perception is that the Zenith is thinner and therefore may fit better under a shirt cuff.

When I read the title I reckoned I'd say Zenith but it's the GO for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    That was my take as well. I also think the application of the Grande Date looks somewhat half-hearted on the Zenith whereas the GO looks spot on. The only nag I would have would be what about the thickness of each watch - it may just be a trick of the eye but my perception is that the Zenith is thinner and therefore may fit better under a shirt cuff.

When I read the title I reckoned I'd say Zenith but it's the GO for me.
    You're right - the borderless date on the GO is a thing of beauty, and I fully agree that the Zenith's case is a little ambitious size-wise vs. the movement, which is immediately evident when you flip it around (I love the 'full aperture' display back on the GO)

Honestly the only thing that's stopping me from committing to the GO is the worries about potentially costly servicing down the line - but all your input has been incredibly helpful and is swaying me towards what I think is the right choice

Will reach out to the dealer to ramp up negotiations and keep you guys updated - fingers crossed!

B

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneous1510 View Post
    Honestly the only thing that's stopping me from committing to the GO is the worries about potentially costly servicing down the line
    How much is the Zenith to service? The difference isn't going to be that much.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    How much is the Zenith to service? The difference isn't going to be that much.
    You're right, after following the great advice above and checking with GO directly the service cost differential isn't that much at all!

Craftsman
    Quick update: Thanks again for all the great advice on this post - I have decided to pursue the Panoreserve and have just transferred the funds over, now commences the long and anxious wait for it to arrive safely (oh great and powerful DHL, my fate is in your hands), should have an update for you all end of next week hopefully :D

B